Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Qylvaran posted:

I just got an early Christmas present: an Eureka Mignon Notte! Does anyone with a Mignon have advice for where to start when dialing in espresso? I'm just talking about ballpark number of steps from touch. Any other pointers would also be appreciated.

It should say in the manual. I think my mignon is 4-7 ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

My chrono with espresso burrs is around 0.5 on the indicator, might be a different setup if the notte is the other larger burrset.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The numbers on the notte do not mean anything for initial setting.

Often, the grinder will go past 0 and loop around again. The numbers are there to understand how much you’ve adjusted for each individual adjustment compared to the last.

I had to do 2 full turns of my dial (past 0, then near nearly again to like 2) to get to espresso fine. Now, it’s currently at like a 5 cause the number doesn’t denote anything. It adjusts and slips.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

The dial only goes to 5 so you need to keep track of where you are.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Been making hot coco with my nanofoamered milk while I wait for my robot and it's good as hell

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Pretty neat Hoffman video today. He bought a gadget to test caffeine concentration and went full Hoffman on it.

https://youtu.be/etnMr8oUSDo

Among other things, it kind of disproves the myth that any significant amount of caffeine "roasts out" of darker roasts. Darker roasts still have seem to have more caffeine by weight than lighter roasts.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Bandire posted:

Pretty neat Hoffman video today. He bought a gadget to test caffeine concentration and went full Hoffman on it.

https://youtu.be/etnMr8oUSDo

Among other things, it kind of disproves the myth that any significant amount of caffeine "roasts out" of darker roasts. Darker roasts still have seem to have more caffeine by weight than lighter roasts.

This was a really cool video. Now I need to go apologize to my coworker who said that regular coffee had more caffeine than instant coffee.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Are there any deals to be had on the Airscape coffee canisters.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
Folks, I'd like to get a milk frother for my wife for xmas but everything I look at seems to have mixed reviews. I'm looking for something I can use to make milk drinks for her when I pull espresso shots for myself. Probably not daily use, but weekly. I remember this being recommended previously: https://www.amazon.com/AEVO-Detacha...pd_gw_ci_mcx_mi but am curious if anyone can share their personal experiences with the Aevo or recommend another better option? Thanks!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Bruxism posted:

Folks, I'd like to get a milk frother for my wife for xmas but everything I look at seems to have mixed reviews. I'm looking for something I can use to make milk drinks for her when I pull espresso shots for myself. Probably not daily use, but weekly. I remember this being recommended previously: https://www.amazon.com/AEVO-Detacha...pd_gw_ci_mcx_mi but am curious if anyone can share their personal experiences with the Aevo or recommend another better option? Thanks!

Depends what kind of frothing you want. That one you linked will make thick froth and/or warm the milk, but it won’t make thin/micro foam like you’d use for latte art. There’s also one made by Breville which is well recommended.

I use the nanofoamer which can produce any kind of foam you want but I have to heat up the milk in the microwave first.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I was the one recommending that AEVO frother. I have one, and it has multiple settings and can do latte style foam. The Breville one is almost certainly better but is considerably more expensive.

At the end of the day, if you want to get in to latte art, you will probably want to learn how to steam milk by hand. If you just want good enough milk for lattes and cappuccinos, then these automatic frothers are a nice QoL thing that saves you from potentially spending hours learning how to foam by hand.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Since it’s once a week you could also go nuts with this

https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/bellman/50ss

You could also buy a cheap espresso machine with a steam wand and do that, but those aren’t usually very powerful and take a while.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Iirc the last 5 minutes are a recap if you want the short version. If you want silky latte art you'll need to spend $100

https://youtu.be/D3npamuu6oQ

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

BrianBoitano posted:

Iirc the last 5 minutes are a recap if you want the short version. If you want silky latte art you'll need to spend $100

https://youtu.be/D3npamuu6oQ

That's pretty interesting. It sounds like that Maestri House one is pretty nice too. Morgan is great.

Here's an incredibly poorly shot clip of what the AEVO frother can do. You have to do a bit of swirling and sloshing to mix in the foamberg, but I don't think its terribly out of bounds. It might still be thicker than what some people consider latte foam, but it is very useable.

https://i.imgur.com/zUbO1hZ.mp4

End result cortado made by someone with no artistic inclination whatsoever:

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

hello again, thread

after my last post i did everything suggested here (checked pressure using the cleaning disc—full 9 bars, descaled, did another cleaning cycle, tried dialing in manually) and i’m still not getting good shots

i started keeping a log book, could y’all give it a look and see if there’s anything that stands out or if there’s anything i should try next?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Jazz Marimba posted:

hello again, thread

after my last post i did everything suggested here (checked pressure using the cleaning disc—full 9 bars, descaled, did another cleaning cycle, tried dialing in manually) and i’m still not getting good shots

i started keeping a log book, could y’all give it a look and see if there’s anything that stands out or if there’s anything i should try next?

I would start by always doing 18g in and 40g out just to remove that variable, it looks to me like you're probably not grinding fine enough if it's taking 20s to pull a shot and that matches up with the sour notes you're tasting. Keep doing 18/40 and grind incrementally finer until you're getting closer to 30s pull times at 9bar. If you consider that's 50% longer than your current times it makes sense that your shots aren't tasting the way you'd want.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Jazz Marimba posted:

hello again, thread

I have no idea what’s going on in your chart.

But if you were grinding at 10 and it was fine, and now you’re grinding at 5 and it’s not, it might be the grinder is messed up. This is what ended up happening to me, with your exact symptoms.

Have you looked at grind consistency and seen if you’re getting a large variance in particle size?

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Bandire posted:

I was the one recommending that AEVO frother. I have one, and it has multiple settings and can do latte style foam. The Breville one is almost certainly better but is considerably more expensive.

At the end of the day, if you want to get in to latte art, you will probably want to learn how to steam milk by hand. If you just want good enough milk for lattes and cappuccinos, then these automatic frothers are a nice QoL thing that saves you from potentially spending hours learning how to foam by hand.

It's mostly about getting warm frothy milk for lattes and cappuccinos, not the art so much. Intrigued by the breville one, but that's significantly more expensive. I'll mull it over a bit and then either go with the Breville or the AEVO.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone!

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Strongly considering bidding on some of the coffee gear that Twitter is auctioning off along with seemingly half of their office equipment :thunk:

https://bid.hgpauction.com/auctions/8421/herita10194?primaryCategoryCode=CAT

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Bidding opens January 17

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Will they ship items or do you have to live in the Bay Area to bid?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
everyone keep in mind if you’re eyeing those one-group lineas, that’s the commercial model not the mini so you’ll need a 240v outlet and plumbed water line.

Don’t let that stop you if you’re interested, just, you know, leave room in the budget

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

some musk reply guy is gonna bid $27,000 for a piece of history

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Given the amount of publicity it's very unlikely anyone will be getting a steal or even a deal on these items :(

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the worst guy you've ever met is buying a Mazzer Super Jolly for 8x MSRP

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I had my first really dialed in espresso on my new grinder today and it was incredible. I think I can see now why people spend thousands chasing the perfect shot.

Yesterday, I made one of these, which I highly recommend if you're into both cocktails and espresso:
https://youtu.be/pzmVLMzQjNo

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Great timing, after a very long work and parenting week, the 2yo is napping so it's time for an afternoon treat!

I've made a couple "bitters as the main spirit" drinks and this is the first author to point out you can remove the dropper / shaker cap to pour the oz quickly :doh:

Thank you for sharing! It's an amazing drink!

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

BrianBoitano posted:

Happy to spread some holiday cheer! Nice photo, BTW.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

BrianBoitano posted:

Great timing, after a very long work and parenting week, the 2yo is napping so it's time for an afternoon treat!

I've made a couple "bitters as the main spirit" drinks and this is the first author to point out you can remove the dropper / shaker cap to pour the oz quickly :doh:

What is that drink, and does the ominously placed egg go into it? Looks nice, I'm in the mood for some festively spiced hit drinks.

Regarding the milk frothers: I've made my first (Aeropress) latte a while ago and I kinda like it, but the process is a little much. These little gadgets that heat and stir the milk, are they a pain in the rear end to keep clean?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Milk Frothers is a good username, pronounced like Smothers Brothers

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Lord Stimperor posted:

What is that drink, and does the ominously placed egg go into it? Looks nice, I'm in the mood for some festively spiced hit drinks.

It is nice, it's festive, you can scroll up 1 extra post to see the recipe, which includes an egg yes :)

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Is there any reason to not buy a new Eureka Mignon Perfetto for $335 for my all-round grinder that's a step up from a Secura burr grinder?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Nope! Unless you're one of those people that will inevitably go "well, I need an upgrade on the Eureka" in a year or two and suddenly here comes a zero, mazzer, or mini EK. If you're one of those people put the $300 to the purchase you're going to make eventually, but if you're not a broke brained fool enjoy the good deal on a good grinder.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

BrianBoitano posted:

It is nice, it's festive, you can scroll up 1 extra post to see the recipe, which includes an egg yes :)

Whoops, I'm bad at bedtime-posting :) Thanks!

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Our kitchen scale broke (:rip:). Anyone know a not-too-expensive scale that doubles as a coffee scale (perhaps with a timer, or whatever coffee scales do)?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Lord Stimperor posted:

Our kitchen scale broke (:rip:). Anyone know a not-too-expensive scale that doubles as a coffee scale (perhaps with a timer, or whatever coffee scales do)?

Greater Goods Digital Coffee... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B4CB7C1?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Lord Stimperor posted:

It doesn't have a timer but I have beat the poo poo out of my Jennings CJ4000 and it's still humming along perfectly. It's very quick, but it only measures to the half gram so you'll have to look elsewhere if you're looking for something than can measure 10ths of a gram.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I have this one, and I have no complaints:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07XQS8JL6/

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

RichterIX posted:

It doesn't have a timer but I have beat the poo poo out of my Jennings CJ4000 and it's still humming along perfectly. It's very quick, but it only measures to the half gram so you'll have to look elsewhere if you're looking for something than can measure 10ths of a gram.

I also have a CJ4000 and it's great and also has a beep that could wake god and the devil too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Qylvaran posted:

I have this one, and I have no complaints:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07XQS8JL6/

I love the promo shots with beans piled high straight on the scale to avoid showing other products. Love 2 dump my beans on a flat surface and then transfer them one by one into the grinder.