Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

Dwarves I am begging you please just throw it in a refuse pile outside or something

Supposedly, if those are tattered clothes, they will get marked as unowned after a season and can be dumped. Also build them storage like suggested.

This kid is so mad and I could never figure out why until I looked at his items. Poor guy is wearing a tattered and ripped dress, I'd be mad too if I didn't have fresh clothes. So if you have Dwarves mad no matter what, check their god damned clothes!

Dude's so mad he's probably pretending to kill those figures with his axe.

Edit: I say this but I have clothing and he's just not putting any on. Maybe children can't change clothes for some reason?

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

How old is this dwarflet, maybe they can only change clothes after they're old enough to drink.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Ripped jeansdresses are a fashion statement, god Armok!

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Supposedly, if those are tattered clothes, they will get marked as unowned after a season and can be dumped. Also build them storage like suggested.

wait are you absolutely sure? this'd be a game changer for me if true

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Some kids got stuck in a tree somehow with a horse foal and all of them died of thirst. A kid played make believe around presumably his friend's tomb. Another kid went berserk, and was immediately killed by a miner. It's ok, they're really enjoying the wine being made upstairs.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

What I want to know if its really true is that thing about being able to receive dwarven caravans underground if your trade depot is built down there. Every bit of information I've found says caravans can only leave via the underground (and only if the surface is inaccessible) not arrive by it.

Mirthless posted:

Caverns fortresses are really cool

If you ever find yourself in a completely unwinnable surface situation, you can dig down to the caverns and have a completely playable fortress down there. If you build a trade depot down there, you will even get dwarf caravans, as long as there is a valid path to the edge of the caverns map.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah, we need confirmation on getting to become a truck stop on the Underroads.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
That post also caught my attention as well, I believe that's a new feature if true?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

GODDAMN FOOL posted:

I was just going to ask why my dwarven children seem to love playing next to the volcano, when,

this might be a problem

Fun has commenced

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I am literally hooked on filling my incredible library with dumb poo poo I find during raids or weird poo poo my scholars write

Also a roc took out an entire siege then landed near a hammer lord that bashed his head in and it was awesome

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Seriously if we could get caravans and migrants via the first cavern layer, I'd never bother with the surface, past initial digging lol. Who needs humans, or elves, or golbins?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I need goblins

GODDAMN FOOL
Aug 23, 2005

DO NOT READ >>>

Lord of Pie posted:

Fun has commenced

It's okay, it actually ended up hitting my defense wall (ironically, the wood didn't catch) and fizzling out, and only left that z-level a bit ashy. Nobody was hurt!

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I would love to be able to forbid a jeweler from being able to encrust barrels and buckets until the end of time. Even when I set a specific stockpile to draw from, he seems to want to re-encrust the same barrels and buckets sitting in his workshop.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
this doofus went outside during a megabeast roc attack to go read a book he peeled off the corpse of someone who died to the roc. i got a burrow set up, but temporarily opened a door to let someone in and someone sprung out so fast lol

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I wonder if the monster slayers will finally be useful if I build the tavern literally in the cavern.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Would a cloth and fabric industry be of extra vital importance to establish, or could I get by trading for the stuff?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I finally hit the caverns and before I could make a wall around my stairs a troglodyte sprinted up to the surface where it was set upon by my dwarves and visitors. It got it's rear end kicked so bad on the main stairwell it's arms/legs/teeth were spread across 5 levels.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Is there a nuance where fresh meat won't burrow properly even though it's assigned, like they need a little while to be told? I just had a siege that I wanted to just button up through, but ten dorfs out of a population of 45 decided that picking berries was more important.

Almost survived it anyway, it was six demons that my hammerlord pulped in sequence before they got to more than two randos, but in the parlay phase they destroyed my entire workshop line and all of the repeating jobs just by existing next to them and honestly setting that back up feels like 90 percent of a restart.

Alternately, how do I just give in if they offer parley? It's just a lovely $2000 drum they were after, I agreed and dismantled the grates in front of it but they didn't just take it and leave.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Mandoric posted:

Alternately, how do I just give in if they offer parley? It's just a lovely $2000 drum they were after, I agreed and dismantled the grates in front of it but they didn't just take it and leave.

One of your dwarves (I think your leader) has to take the artifact to them, so if they were restricted to the burrow or something that'd be why. But when you pay enemies off with a parley it's only temporary, I think they always come back later with more demands

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I've had my squads disappear and need totally rebuilding twice in this game session.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Broken Cog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3zZOIeOfwI
I wonder if the monster slayers will finally be useful if I build the tavern literally in the cavern.

Funnily enough, a video on this exact concept just appeared to me. It's almost like google knows everything I do and say :)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Are dwarf children bugged right now? Feels like they never claim a bedroom on their own, instead claiming one of those bound to a tavern, which IIRC is what visitors and long-term residents are supposed to do.

emSparkly posted:

Funnily enough, a video on this exact concept just appeared to me. It's almost like google knows everything I do and say :)

I've never really seen beast hunters go to fight humanoid invaders, are they waiting for forgotten/mega beasts exclusively?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

GODDAMN FOOL posted:

correct

no temperature fuckery like rimworld, nor does it have to be in a barrel
Well, there is temperature fuckery in that the game tracks temperatures on everything and during a siege that can significantly contribute to FPS slowdown, so if you want a bit faster of a simulation during sieges, you can turn it off in the settings.
It just doesn't affect food spoilage.

Mirthless posted:

Caverns fortresses are really cool

If you ever find yourself in a completely unwinnable surface situation, you can dig down to the caverns and have a completely playable fortress down there. If you build a trade depot down there, you will even get dwarf caravans, as long as there is a valid path to the edge of the caverns map. Cave animals generally give better payouts for hunting and if you are able to capture a cave crocodile you can build an absolutely insane egg industry - 20-60 eggs a season and if you're playing a long term fortress the butchery returns are very very good
Surface forts - what are you, a human?

Danaru posted:

No way, seriously?
Caravans without wagons can go anywhere that your dorfs can go - which leads to Fun, when your fortress becomes big enough, because suddenly you get wagons and when they fail to trade, you'll get a huge negative relationship hit with the trading faction and suddenly you're at war.

Also, there's no more wagon wood. :mad:

IcePhoenix posted:

The University of Breachseal

ok this is a good solution but gently caress that's going to take a long time lol
As a bonus, a closet and a chest (or their equivalents made in stone) also ups the benefits the dorfs get from sleeping in their bedroom.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Do soldiers need all this furniture for their barracks furnishings? Bed, chest, armor and weapon racks, cabinet?

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

toasterwarrior posted:

Do soldiers need all this furniture for their barracks furnishings? Bed, chest, armor and weapon racks, cabinet?

My barracks are just empty rooms for sparring and my squads are doing fine, picking up their gear from whatever general equipment stockpiles.

In other learned-it-the-hard-way news, don't send your nobility or other office and dining room holding dwarves on raiding missions, they forget that they had those rooms and get cranky until you realize you need to reassign the rooms to them.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

skooma512 posted:

I've had my squads disappear and need totally rebuilding twice in this game session.

the disband squad button is right below the remove orders button lol

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

tak posted:

This is in fact the worst atrocity in the game right now, not to mention that there's no confirmation button.

Had someone talk about how they accidentally disbanded 5 squads instead of canceling orders after an attack, and they said they'd rather start a new fortress than track everyone down again.

Edit: How do I get rid of caged prisoners? Caught a hill giant and a couple of batmen, and I can't really think of much to use them for.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Broken Cog posted:

Are dwarf children bugged right now? Feels like they never claim a bedroom on their own, instead claiming one of those bound to a tavern, which IIRC is what visitors and long-term residents are supposed to do.

I believe children are supposed to live with their parents until they become adults... Or is that only 'baby' dwarves? I thought it was both, but I could be wrong.

Either way, i don't know why they'd take a tavern room.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

If you can figure out how to release them in this version (I haven't got to that point), they can be very useful for training your dudes. Release them in the barracks for your hand-to-hand troops, or across a chasm to let your archers practice.

In older versions, at least, hitting a live target trained skills significantly more quickly.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

tak posted:

DO get the interface tweaks mod from steam workshop, it turns the disband button into a trash bin, reducing accidental disbands by 90%.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Baronjutter posted:

Does flooding farm fields do anything anymore? I spent ages making a floodable farm zone and all the soil is still listed as poor.

Very late, but if you flood rock, it won't be listed as poor.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

It might take multiple flooding and evaporation cycles to build up enough mud to boost fertility. Nile farming is potentially back-ish.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

i love weapon traps with 10 serrated glass discs... just a nightmare scenario !!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

hailthefish posted:

It might take multiple flooding and evaporation cycles to build up enough mud to boost fertility. Nile farming is potentially back-ish.

This is what I said earlier and then deleted, because even the thinnest layer of mud still isn't listed as poor, but I have gone throught the effort of making all my farms into the thickest mud layer, just because I can.

I swear I turned weres off in worldgen, but a werelephant just turned up and wiped me out. Better turn it off in settings too.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Thanks for the answers!

BTW, I have a weird issue: I haven't gotten migrants at all this year at 20 dwarfs...but I've gotten 6 (!) performers as residents, with the understanding that after 2 years they can become full citizens. Is this actually a good way to pick and choose migrants for my fortress, if real slow?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Nessus posted:

How old is this dwarflet, maybe they can only change clothes after they're old enough to drink.

Dude was 17 and finally put on a new shirt. Soon as he turned 18 I kicked his angry rear end out. You live in the lap of luxury here pal, go be mad about it somewhere else.

Gosts posted:

wait are you absolutely sure? this'd be a game changer for me if true

That's what the wiki said so who really knows.

My most successful fort ever is really running along smoothly. Need to find the flux on this map so I can actually get steel for once. Maybe build a farm in the cavern while I'm at it.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

RE mineral scarcity: I made a custom world with it set to 669. The embark locale says it's got iron and tin on it, but all I've seen so far is tetrahedrite (copper and silver) and I'm down to mining the third layer of the caverns.

OTOH, nearly all of my stone is flux, and I have a near endless amount of lignite and bituminous coal for coke production. My cavern layers also came weirdly early -- I got to the second cavern layer before I was 10 z-levels below the surface.

500-1000 is probably a good sweet spot for the settings; my last fort, I was getting so much metal that I was running out of non-economic rock. Now I feel lucky just to find a bit of copper :v:

Protip if you have a large sediment layer -- if you're like me and use these for your workshop layers (because they're much easier to mine out and you can empty a bunch of space quickly), keep in mind that it's all gonna turn into subterranean flora the nanosecond you breach the first subterranean layer.

Pictured: Originally all silt and clay. It would be great for a farm, but I don't even need it; I can just do "gather plants" on this layer every so often and it's enough to blow past my fort's yearly food needs.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Still seeing a few people asking for tags! It's not absolute but I'm no longer combing the thread, the giveaway has been over since Tuesday evening.

If you want to buy it for yourself though, the code is here! Treat yourself. Treat your dwarves. It menaces with spikes of bbcode.

code:
[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3616403][img]https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/steamdf.gif[/img][/url]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

"He is surrounded by the dwarves."

That's just rubbing it in. Luckily I only lost one to the werelephant, and this guy, who gets to live forever.

I should make another room next to him, for when Slumlord Dale turns up.