Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

JT Smiley posted:

That just sounds like really bad writing?

It works in context, but it’s also the payoff to a bunch of writers not knowing what to do with him for literal decades so they just gave him a bunch of random poo poo in hopes they’d basically build a character like he’s a collection of spare parts. Remember, Guy is literally the lantern whose girlfriend is killed and stuffed in a refrigerator. He literally is the person for whom the term “fridging” was invented.

It took until Tom King, and Omega Men in specific, for someone who was actually talented enough to go “wait so there’s just this dude who is arguably one of if not the most powerful character in the universe on an absolute level just sort of hanging around the edges of it, doing nothing because he’s really unpopular and super bland and nothing, who has has literal decades worth of pathos and unearned power-ups sort of just thrust onto him in vague hopes that he becomes a good character? And literally none of it has worked, and as a result we have this living god just sort of…completely glossed over? What would that guy do if he finally found something he believed in, something he genuinely cared about?” Like, paradoxically Omega Men is so good because Kyle up until that point has sucked so badly and had no real reason to exist, and instead of just giving him more cool toys or unearned “character building” King just internalized it narratively and went “this is a guy who has no motivation to be anything he is and let’s examine that for once”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

NieR Occomata posted:

That could work but it’d run into the Netflix Marvel problem where it ends up feeling inherently inferior to the “main” product and reads as cheaper as a matter of course. For Oliver Queen and Green Arrow specifically that would actually be a point in its favor considering the thematic similarities to be fair. So I guess, yeah, could work, but it’d have to be the most careful possible hand to not end up like “the green guy” cringe-inducing poo poo from Jessica Jones et al.
That feels like an entirely different matter. I'm not saying cheap out on films or create some kind of confusing embargo between studios and networks. I'm just saying make movies for the hundreds of characters Snyder didn't use if you want some time to shake off the baggage from Snyder's versions and the extreme reactions. You'd still get hyper critical nerds and obsessed fandoms but if you make some good movies then you can start to win people back over. And if you do it really well then you could build up something. And there's no reason to be coy. Just talk about Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman as they exist because they do in that world. But tell other stories with other characters. And given time if you do it right people will start to want to see them and wonder who will play them and how they'll come into play. You won't be talking about a mess of a movie from 5 years ago and what it was supposed to be. You'll just be talking about where this is going.

I was kind optimistic about Black Adam for basically this reason. He was a new commodity, a secondary character, JSA were there, maybe they could all just do their own thing. It sounds like its not a good movie and that sucks. But in theory it was a lot more appealing to me than the Snyder Cut ever was because it was so much more simple and had so much less noise and baggage. So just do that for awhile. Keep it simple, drop the baggage, just focus on making good movies and establishing good characters. Then if that works you can get crazy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I guess taking a blank canvas is at least better than what King usually does by taking someone and just ignoring everything about them and writing them completely out of character.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Kyle, Torchbearer, wilder of Godlike Lantern power as Ion, is boring?

Uh ok dude

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
RestoretheGreenLanternVerse

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

y'all know i'm extremely fragile mentally these days right

That's okay mate. Guy is the best Green Lantern. After Kyle.
A nearby comic shop has the whole Guy Gardner Warrior run for sale. Maybe I should pick it up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i'm watching Shazam somehow for the first time and they should just ditch everything but this.

#LAUNCHTHESHAZAMERVERSE

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Stewart is the best Green Lantern, but he's also the only one to really get a good presentation and story in non-comic medium to this point so it's fine to give someone else a shot.

It's Gunn so honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Guy does get the nod just because Gunn loves a powerful ding-dong on the team. He can be the next Drax or King Shark.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

NieR Occomata posted:

Remember, Guy is literally the lantern whose girlfriend is killed and stuffed in a refrigerator. He literally is the person for whom the term “fridging” was invented.
Dang, someone needs to tell Guy about this :stare:

I mean, Ice might’ve been in a fridge once or twice — pun totally intended — but I don’t think she invented that trope.

X-O posted:

I guess taking a blank canvas is at least better than what King usually does by taking someone and just ignoring everything about them and writing them completely out of character.
nah he totally also does this to Kyle too :v:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

NieR Occomata posted:

It works in context, but it’s also the payoff to a bunch of writers not knowing what to do with him for literal decades so they just gave him a bunch of random poo poo in hopes they’d basically build a character like he’s a collection of spare parts. Remember, Guy is literally the lantern whose girlfriend is killed and stuffed in a refrigerator. He literally is the person for whom the term “fridging” was invented.

Kyle. That happens to Kyle. Well, specifically it happened to Alexandra DeWitt.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah I meant Kyle. Whoops my bad

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Kyle will always have a special place in my heart because he was the character that got me into comics as a kid back in the 90's. Just the sheer concept of "I'm just a normal guy that was randomly given the most powerful weapon in the universe and its up to me to carry on a legacy I know nothing about is way more interesting to me than, "I'm a military guy and also one of a billion space cops". Plus I'll take knock off Gundams over bubble shields and boxing gloves any day of the week.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
yeah the GLC sucks post cop infusion. i mean it was always there but then Johns went all in on COPS IN SPACE bullshit.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

God, I kind of hope all this means The Flash never comes out. I mean, it'd be terrible for all the people who've spent years making something that will never see the light of day, but it'd be the funniest possible outcome for a movie that has been utterly cursed from preproduction onwards.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

NieR Occomata posted:

I’m a big DC fan. Also I think the long-running host of the Daily Show is the worst Green Lantern.

Putting aside anyone who doesn’t think Guy is the worst GL by default, in what sort of world does anyone who claims to be a GL fan doesn’t go with Kyle as the worst? Aka the guy so metatextually nothing, boring, and lovely, so utterly pointless as a character that they one made him into an overpowered monster of a lantern explicitly to give him something to do, and two explicitly turned him into a terrorist because it gave his character a reason to actually exist?

Like Kyle is probably my favorite Lantern period but that’s because he’s a character in what’s in my opinion the best Lantern story ever, which only exists explicitly because he’s a nothing bland slate with no real reason to exist. So it’s like, yeah, make him a terrorist because we’ve got nothing better, or else, to do with him.

Kyle is basically DC’s equivalent to Peter Parker. He has real problems like paying for rent, maintaining a relationship, and finding a job in the animation industry

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
How do you guys think The Rock is going to react when James Gunn has to deliver to him the bad news that DC will not be moving forward with him. Hope he doesn’t get into a fit of roid rage and assault james

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The guy who played as Stifler in American Pie should play as Guy Gardner

And his constructs should all be in the form of 80s action stars like Stallone and Hulk Hogan

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

i'm watching Shazam somehow for the first time and they should just ditch everything but this.

#LAUNCHTHESHAZAMERVERSE

It's shockingly good. I'm nervous about the new one though because it looks like they balked at the stuff that made it work for me.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I just want to see patman against zsasz,gotham being flooded and the chaos that happened would be perfect for zsasz to be picking people off.

Plus killer croc could be in it,like the earth one comics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Noob Saibot posted:

The guy who played as Stifler in American Pie should play as Guy Gardner

And his constructs should all be in the form of 80s action stars like Stallone and Hulk Hogan

the Rundown era Sean William Scott would have been a perfect Guy Gardner.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Noob Saibot posted:

Couple thoughts:

- I really think the first Wonder Woman films success should be credited to Allan Heinbergs great scriptwork and Zack Snyder being so heavily involved. Patty Jenkins on her own gave us WW84 which is easily the worst comic book film since such 90s fare as Batman & Robin and STEEL.

-The Batman should either be its own universe or just cancelled. It's dumb to retroactively build the new DC Cinematic Universe around it when it wasn't intended for that. It wasn't that good and what is even the point? We already had a realistic self contained Batman trilogy by Chris Nolan why do we need to do it over again? Is Matt Reeves considered that big of an auter?

-Joker 2 should be given an Elseworlds, VERTIGO or Black Label.

- Jon Stewart sucks he's the worst of the human GLs. When they finally redo the GL Franchise they should be introduced in the following order: Hal, Guy, Alan, Kyle, Simon Baz (HBO Max spinoff), Jessica Cruz (HBO Max spinoff), Jon Stewart (In a GL sequel or in the background)

-Excited about Superman reboot. Curious if it will take some queues from American Alien and/or Grant Morrison's Action Comics run. Also curious if LOBO will be in it.

Takes so hot they're

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rhyno posted:

the Rundown era Sean William Scott would have been a perfect Guy Gardner.

Or Steve zahn

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

Or Steve zahn

maybe 80's Guy.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The #Snyderverse bot network has been reactivated

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

In the end, as I learned when they cancelled my much desired Raimi Spider-Man 4, no one is entitled to or owed the films that they want. It sucks when they stop making films that excite you and do something else but it is what it is. The Snyderverse was polarising so there's gonna be as many people happy about seeing it go as there are people furious. No one is right or wrong here and no injustice has been done (except maybe to whoever told Cavill he was back a couple of months before he wasn't, which probably sucks for him).

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
You people are insane. Hal Jordan is the worst Green Lantern, aka what if my grandpa had super powers.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
All Green Lanterns Are Bastards #AGLAB

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Joe Fisto posted:

what the heck did G'Nort ever do to you

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Joe Fisto posted:

Only the human ones. Gunn should be the first with the cajones to really acknowledge this and make a straight up Kilowog movie.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Rhyno posted:

what the heck did G'Nort ever do to you

He kept pulling Bloodwynd over for dumb stuff like broken taillights. Have you seen Bloodwynd recently? No? Interesting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
in retrospect, Bloodwynd being the Martian Manhunter in blackface is a little oof

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

in retrospect, Bloodwynd being the Martian Manhunter in blackface is a little oof

So what about him on Supergirl then? Wouldn't that basically be the same thing?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

E the Shaggy posted:

You people are insane. Hal Jordan is the worst Green Lantern, aka what if my grandpa had super powers.

gently caress you, all my grandads were cooler than Hal Jordan, buster!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Isn't J'onn's human identity drawn as Black nowadays anyway, thanks to both Harewood and Carl Lumbly's performance in the cartoon?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

So what about him on Supergirl then? Wouldn't that basically be the same thing?

our intro to that character was always Harewood so i don't think it's the same.

also when you read the origin of Bloodwynd two parter it gets even worse.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I recently rewatched the Green Lantern movie and it is quite impressive how they tried to make Hal cool by having Reynolds play him. I mean it didn't work but all props to him.
My issue with Hal is that A: he looks like a dad and he will always look like a dad. B: We are constantly told what a reckless joyful fun guy he is but it always feels like the writer whoever thinks that just by saying that it makes it true.
I didn't hate the movie too much on rewatch. The graphics definitely look terrible. The Hector Hammond stuff was really unneeded. Paralax was a cloud. The Oa stuff seemed like a good idea but felt more like an afterthought.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I always remember Reynolds' talking about the origin of the GL movie. "We didn't have a script, we had a movie poster."

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

theironjef posted:

Only the human ones. Gunn should be the first with the cajones to really acknowledge this and make a straight up Kilowog movie.

have the movie be about the angry cat

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Soul Glo posted:

Henry Cavill for Cyclops

I was thinking this exact thing. It's all jaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

site posted:

have the movie be about the angry cat

Site is right