Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
These days...

e: In 1936 the Arab Revolt in Palestine makes it illegal to be English

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

These days...

The fix is in.

Urgh wife has COVID for a second time, perhaps this will be the second Xmas running where we're both totally COVID'ed up :stoked: . At least I'm negative so far, which means I'm banished into the phantom zone of the spare room.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

Ugh, this morning. That's too warm indoors too, have to adjust my heating curve downwards or I'll go broke. Still it was nice to feel a warm floor for once.

I wear carpet slippers in winter, the ''floor'' is always warm. ;)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Oh yeah I wear several layers of socks for the same reason., Got two new pairs from my mom, but the floor felt warm & toasty this morning when barefoot. Such a nice feeling.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Where the hell are you that it's -20.5c?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Hiding in a biomedical freezer.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Where the hell are you that it's -20.5c?

Workshop of Santa Claus in Finland.

One part of that might even be true.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I won't say which one

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Good to see

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

I really think the media have misjudged the public mood about these strikes. The reporting is still all "UNION BARONS HOLDING US HOSTAGE" and even the BBC seems completely ignorant of how unions work. But its easy to marginalise, e.g. train drivers, because hardly anyone knows a train driver or even spoken to one ever. There's about 20k train drivers in the UK, but there are over 500k nurses. Most people will know a nurse, and everyone has met a nurse in hospital or getting a vaccine etc. They're a lot more real in the minds of the public.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I wear old man slippers, have done since I was 20.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Lady Demelza posted:

Cats are not solitary creatures. They also aren't dogs, and at the cat rescue where I volunteer there are multiple stories of people who are baffled because they constantly misread cat behaviour (no your cat was not happily wagging her tail then bit you out of the blue, please take 2 minutes to learn what cat tail twitching means). A cat that has bonded with you will sit with its back to you, because they trust you not to attack from behind.

Literally just looked at my cat and he's snoozing with his back to me. He's standoffish compared to some cats I've had - but he still always wants to be within about 6' of me, and I do mean me, not my wife. So yeah, no, agreed, an actual solitary creature wouldn't be doing that.

Edit: cat tax

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Dec 15, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lord of the Llamas posted:

even the BBC seems completely ignorant of how unions work.
Can't make someone understand something when their salary depends on them not. Even if over half of them would be better off joining one.

feedmegin posted:

Edit: cat tax
:radcat:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

feedmegin posted:

Literally just looked at my cat and he's snoozing with his back to me. He's standoffish compared to some cats I've had - but he still always wants to be within about 6' of me, and I do mean me, not my wife. So yeah, no, agreed, an actual solitary creature wouldn't be doing that.

My Dad's cat, sadly no longer around, was very stand-offish but also very similar. It wouldn't sit on him or his wife, wouldn't curl up on your bed with them - but it would sleep on their bed during the day when they were elsewhere or would sit on a chair in the corner of the room that they were in - and outside it would follow them around the garden and hang out nearby but always remaining about two metres away. It was like a grumpy teenager being taken shopping by parents and always staying a few paces away to try and look like they're on their own. It was very cute because it clearly liked being around people, but I liked to imagine it just wanted to pretend it was a cool loner and apex predator (it could barely hunt a piece of cheese, tbh)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I get about 15 minutes of him snuggling next to me on my bed a week, roughly. As a treat.

I have also seen him try and fail to hunt an ant.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

I really think the media have misjudged the public mood about these strikes. The reporting is still all "UNION BARONS HOLDING US HOSTAGE" and even the BBC seems completely ignorant of how unions work. But its easy to marginalise, e.g. train drivers, because hardly anyone knows a train driver or even spoken to one ever. There's about 20k train drivers in the UK, but there are over 500k nurses. Most people will know a nurse, and everyone has met a nurse in hospital or getting a vaccine etc. They're a lot more real in the minds of the public.

Agreed - almost everybody over 30 will have had a visit to a GP or hospital in the last year or so I would think, not to mention having family members in the hospital.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It is loving bonkers that nurse pay went down during a once-in-a-century pandemic

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Dead Goon posted:

How are Anaal Nathrakh these days?

It was only one of them, the vocalist, the other one is focusing on producing music right now. They had musicians from Akercocke and Voices to fill in. So he was claiming it might have been the last Anaal Nathrakh gig. Seems unlikely. Was an excellent show, non-stop bangers.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Dead Goon posted:

How are Anaal Nathrakh these days?

If a cat is twitching/wagging its tail - leave it alone!

Or throw something for it to chase before it decides to attack your hoodie hood strings and sticks a claw up your nose in its enthusiasm.

Speaking from experience here.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

killerwhat posted:

It was only one of them, the vocalist, the other one is focusing on producing music right now. They had musicians from Akercocke and Voices to fill in. So he was claiming it might have been the last Anaal Nathrakh gig. Seems unlikely. Was an excellent show, non-stop bangers.

Yeah, Mick hosed off to live in California a decade ago & at this point can't be bothered coming back to Blighty for a couple live shows, can't really blame him either.

I'm still glad I got to see them with Shane Embury from Napalm Death & I think Nick Barker, drummer for about 50% of extreme metal bands from Europe, that was a cool lineup. Even if I'm still sad that Axis of Perdition pulled out of the gig, I'd love to have been able to see them

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

https://twitter.com/SimonFosterLAB/status/1603341698620325888

So Labour are openly briefing MPs to support scabbing.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

fuctifino posted:

To try and find out I did a bit of googling, and here he is on stage at an event for the trilateral commission with Gove and Lord Maude at the end of 2017. He was 'Shadow Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union' at the time, and Gove was 'Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs'

https://twitter.com/slavkocaric/status/926765260576399360

https://twitter.com/slavkocaric/status/926923828248408064
Starmer disappeared from the Trilateral Commission's membership list in (I think) 2021 - he was definitely on it in 2020, because I've got a screengrab dated from August of that year:

By August 2022, he's mysteriously absent, as if he were never there:

There's also no trace of him amongst the TC's 'Leadership, Members & Fellows'. But as so often happens, removing a link to a page doesn't mean that the page itself has also been deleted...

https://www.trilateral.org/people/sir-keir-starmer/

Kind of weird how the leader of the Labour Party would also be a member of an organisation dedicated to promoting the interests of global capital over working people, and which also once proclaimed that the problem with western society was that there was too much democracy. But I'm sure it's just a coincidence and has no deeper suspicious meaning.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

Ugh, this morning. That's too warm indoors too, have to adjust my heating curve downwards or I'll go broke. Still it was nice to feel a warm floor for once.

open the door and i bet the house decompresses like you opened the door on an airplane

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Jel Shaker posted:

open the door and i bet the house decompresses like you opened the door on an airplane

That or its a matter/anti-matter style explosion.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

These days...

e: In 1936 the Arab Revolt in Palestine makes it illegal to be English

Well it is hard to stick flares up your bum sober.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I really think the media have misjudged the public mood about these strikes. The reporting is still all "UNION BARONS HOLDING US HOSTAGE" and even the BBC seems completely ignorant of how unions work.
The front page of the scum and the BBC are misrepresenting to the point of lying about the RMT losing support. I don't know which survey they're looking at*, but the extent to which support is falling is that support for the strikers has fallen from the vast majority of the public to a slightly less vast majority of the public.

* Presumably a survey of one old australian billionaire.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/aaronbastani/status/1603362240924622851?s=46&t=Y58C1B4c2bNJWl-DUHtIWg

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
How is a warm room a "bank"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gort posted:

A food bank is where you go to get food when you can't afford it. A warm bank is where you go to get warm when you can't afford it.

A bank is just a storage facility anyway, in this context. Same as those external batteries for your phone or laptop are power banks.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Gort posted:

Rich assholes hoarding all the warmth

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

So Labour are openly briefing MPs to support scabbing.
At what point can they be taken to court under the Trades Description Act?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The cat tail thing becomes very obvious if you have ever seen two cats together, even friendly ones.
They twitch their tails like a novelty clock, and soon you are about to witness some hilarious cat agro.

Anyway pictured bellow is Lara T. Catt, in one of the rare times when she is not wailing about being hungry/wanting to go outside/complaining that the dog or baby are looking at her funny.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jedit posted:

A warm bank is where you go to get warm when you can't afford it.
It is definitely a good idea to cram all of the poor people together in one place all day while there are several highly infectious and randomly lethal viruses ripping their way through the population.

It's a miracle the nurses are just striking and not running for the hills.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"warmhub" was right there too.

Or building a society where people don't have to huddle together to not freeze to death, but incremental progress.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Starmer was absolutely brilliant at the delaying implementing brexit stuff, it's the one thing we can say he did well at and it's how he got to be labour leader in the first place. We can say now that's he's a damp teabag but at the time he spent hours and hours fending off the worst of the tory ERG lunatics. I t could be argued that anyone else who was in his position arguing against the screeching sounds coming out of Leadsom's horrific jackets would have ended up leader instead.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Why don't they send poor people to somewhere where it's never cold, like Qatar? Maybe they could also do some work there for the expenses.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The front page of the scum and the BBC are misrepresenting to the point of lying about the RMT losing support. I don't know which survey they're looking at*, but the extent to which support is falling is that support for the strikers has fallen from the vast majority of the public to a slightly less vast majority of the public.

* Presumably a survey of one old australian billionaire.

It's ipsos Mori and the figures in support have fallen from 43% to 30%. You can look at their website for more in-depth numbers.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Base rate up again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/business-63985437

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

learnincurve posted:

Starmer was absolutely brilliant at the delaying implementing brexit stuff, it's the one thing we can say he did well at and it's how he got to be labour leader in the first place. We can say now that's he's a damp teabag but at the time he spent hours and hours fending off the worst of the tory ERG lunatics. I t could be argued that anyone else who was in his position arguing against the screeching sounds coming out of Leadsom's horrific jackets would have ended up leader instead.

Sort of, but a) it happened anyway and b) all the delaying absolutely tanked Labour's chances of winning the 2019 election so overall it was a load of bollocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It is definitely a good idea to cram all of the poor people together in one place all day while there are several highly infectious and randomly lethal viruses ripping their way through the population.

If they get a fever their bodies will be warmer