Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

I think Tesla is an excellent candidate for some accounting fraud. It’s hideously over valued (it’s still worth 10x what Ford is worth), isn’t performing especially well financially, is already suffering large falls in share price, and Musk’s ability to do dumb poo poo like buy Twitter depends largely on his Tesla shares being worth a lot of money.

The temptation to, for example, capitalise some expenses to make it look more profitable than it really is must be pretty strong.

I know the auditing profession has not covered itself in glory but I think the accounting/reporting fraud would need to be more intricate than this. I also feel the amount of analyst coverage Tesla gets would make it way harder to disguise fraudulent activity/reporting for any significant amount of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
I already forgot for a bit the Twitter files and how hard Musk has been trying to make those a thing for people beyond the online chud-sphere to genuinely care about. He just can't stop himself from tripping over his own dick and keeping all of his dumb poo poo in the spotlight.

Actually, speaking of - are right wingers even caring about it all that much?

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Dec 15, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

IBroughttheFunk posted:

I already forgot for a bit the Twitter files and how hard Musk has been trying to make those a thing for people beyond the online chud-sphere to genuinely care about. He just can't stop himself from tripping over his own dick and keeping all of his dumb poo poo in the spotlight.

Actually, speaking of - are right wingers even caring about it all that much?

I don’t think anyone mainstream is. Just the Q creeps who post all day on Twitter and Tucker Carlson.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

my Qanon maga Tory dad posted:

He's cleverer than you think

This was in response to me pointing out that Musk was going to eat fine after fine from multiple agencies

My dad turned up a day late to the insurrection because he got the time zones wrong when booking his flight.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It should be noted that my dad is a doctor of economics and I've always been slightly concerned that economists might all secretly be fash.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Atleast @ElonJet knows where Musk's kid is, more than Elon himself can say apparently

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

learnincurve posted:

This was in response to me pointing out that Musk was going to eat fine after fine from multiple agencies

My dad turned up a day late to the insurrection because he got the time zones wrong when booking his flight.

Your dad flew from England to America to be a part of Jan 6?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

learnincurve posted:

It should be noted that my dad is a doctor of economics and I've always been slightly concerned that economists might all secretly be fash.

I'm sure there exist economists who are decent, sensible people, but I can't say I've ever actually met one. A non-surprising amount who are "fiscally conservative" in spite of ostensibly having a degree in knowing that that's an oxymoron.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Halisnacks posted:

I know the old refrain that given his wealth, Elon will never face any real consequences, but are we allowed to hope that he ends up like a Holmes or SBF? He is losing rich people money right now, and it feels like there is a theoretical tipping point at which even the exceptionally wealthy start facing consequences for that.

Unlike Holmes and SBF he's too well established for criminal charges. He is committing the cardinal sin of loving with other rich people money, so he might get sued for some investor stuff there. That would probably get him kicked out of Tesla & SpaceX. He'll never face criminal charges like Holmes and SBF did, but he might stop being considered a Serious Business Person.

Look forward to his Fox News program coming 2028.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ColdPie posted:

Unlike Holmes and SBF he's too well established for criminal charges. He is committing the cardinal sin of loving with other rich people money, so he might get sued for some investor stuff there. That would probably get him kicked out of Tesla & SpaceX. He'll never face criminal charges like Holmes and SBF did, but he might stop being considered a Serious Business Person.

Look forward to his Fox News program coming 2028.

The Twitter stuff could get him in the EU at least, I'd have thought?

I'd love if Ukraine started making noise about him transparently being a Russian agent at least, just to piss him off more.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Scratch Monkey posted:

Your dad flew from England to America to be a part of Jan 6?

Yeh, he sort of wandered round Washington in his slacks and red hat looking sad while eating a box of those giant Maltesers Americans have. Then he got on a plane and went home.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Director liability for the eu stuff probably wouldn't touch him, just ruin twitter financially if he pushes on like this

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Halisnacks posted:

I know the auditing profession has not covered itself in glory but I think the accounting/reporting fraud would need to be more intricate than this. I also feel the amount of analyst coverage Tesla gets would make it way harder to disguise fraudulent activity/reporting for any significant amount of time.

You'd be surprised how much cover "well no one would be that stupid!" can give you.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Twitter lost a pretty high-profile case in Germany regarding content moderation yesterday, sounds like this could set them up for some pretty nasty consequences if they don't react appropriately on future complaints:

https://www.tagesschau.de/inland/gesellschaft/twitter-blume-hate-speech-101.html

Also, this is the most important german news outlet reporting on the ElonJet ban in a way that leaves very little doubt that the whole "free speech" thing is complete BS.

https://www.tagesschau.de/wirtschaft/unternehmen/twitter-musk-109.html

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

that's alright, reporting somebody who is directly threatening you with violence for being trans still results in an automated rejection telling you it's not against the rules

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ElonJetTracker/

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ColdPie posted:

Unlike Holmes and SBF he's too well established for criminal charges.

Honestly, he's such a petulant child I could see him burning a lot of his bridges, especially with his recent embrace of a lot of people pretty widely known to be fascist/nazi give him a bit of time and he might actually be able to manage it.

Dudes doing things like firing all of his companies legal staff, publicly ignoring a lot of employment laws -including in the EU where they give a drat- and not bothering to pay bills. Sure at the moment that's going to lead to just some fines at most, but he's clearly making a lot of terrible legal and economic decision at the moment and if he loses enough money and does enough illegal things honestly it could just catch up to him.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I think musk is speed running Howard Hughes at this point.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Not sure how Musk selling so much Tesla stock at a low isn't causing panic among the shareholders

Maybe it is and we'll find out when the markets open

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

fezball posted:

Twitter lost a pretty high-profile case in Germany regarding content moderation yesterday, sounds like this could set them up for some pretty nasty consequences if they don't react appropriately on future complaints:

https://www.tagesschau.de/inland/gesellschaft/twitter-blume-hate-speech-101.html

Also, this is the most important german news outlet reporting on the ElonJet ban in a way that leaves very little doubt that the whole "free speech" thing is complete BS.

https://www.tagesschau.de/wirtschaft/unternehmen/twitter-musk-109.html

To reiterate what others have said much more eloquently than I could, "Free Speech" means Nazis can harass anyone and nobody is allowed to retaliate.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

It's always been bullshit and been predicted by pretty much anyone who actually understands free speech because Musk has always been a petulant hypocrite who says one thing then does things like cancel a journalist's Tesla preorder after he wrote a critical article.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
We inching slowly closer to the EU or a member country suing a company for not enforcing their terms of service evenly and I am so incredibly here for it.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

ColdPie posted:

Unlike Holmes and SBF he's too well established for criminal charges.

Maybe Skilling and Lay with Enron is the better comparison? Enron was the 7th biggest US company at its peak - coincidentally, Tesla is also number 7 right now.

Obviously there is a difference between egregious financial fraud that loses investors all their money and far-right reputation-torpedoing that loses investors a lot of their money, but I dare to dream that Elon might one day face consequences bigger than being booed at a Chapelle gig.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

erosion posted:

To reiterate what others have said much more eloquently than I could, "Free Speech" means Nazis can harass anyone and nobody is allowed to retaliate.

Sure, but having that pointed out this clearly on something like Tagesschau which normally tries to go for a relatively neutral and facts-only reporting style does tell you something about the public (e.g. people who aren't that online) perception of Elon's recent behaviour over here.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

quote:

How much is a Tesla in the UK?
The Model 3 is an all-electric sedan. In the U.K., Tesla lists its cash price as starting at £44,490 (around $60,202). The price of a five-door, gasoline version of the Corsa starts at £17,380, according to Vauxhall.

European views on Tesla and US views are not the same. Mostly because you got stuff like the superior Corsa E base model at £29k at the low end and "sure I'll go for a Tesla" said no European who can afford a Mercedes-Benz EQC.

e: lol the Porsche Taycan is cheaper than the Tesla equivalent.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 15, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Teslas are also forced to use CCS in Europe so owners don't get to buy into an exclusive charging network

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Tiny Timbs posted:

Teslas are also forced to use CCS in Europe so owners don't get to buy into an exclusive charging network

ohh so this explains why Americans are so defensive, if Elon drags Tesla down with him then they got a brick.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

learnincurve posted:

ohh so this explains why Americans are so defensive, if Elon drags Tesla down with him then they got a brick.

If I remember correctly Tesla sells adapters to both ChaDeMo and CCS. But I doubt many owners have them.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tesla owners in the US can use other charging networks with a CCS adapter but the reverse is not allowed (go figure)

It costs $250

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Randarkman posted:

Huh, first thought I had was that that was a picture of Elon in a motorcycle helmet.

Honestly same. I thought that was the joke until they said the t-slur.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

gay picnic defence posted:

I think Tesla is an excellent candidate for some accounting fraud. It’s hideously over valued (it’s still worth 10x what Ford is worth), isn’t performing especially well financially, is already suffering large falls in share price, and Musk’s ability to do dumb poo poo like buy Twitter depends largely on his Tesla shares being worth a lot of money.

The temptation to, for example, capitalise some expenses to make it look more profitable than it really is must be pretty strong.

I think it would be extremely difficult to get away with playing games with their balance sheet and income statement right now. Historically, you usually see accounting fraud when everyone just "knows" that a company is very successful without any doubt or question, but internally there's trouble and the accountants are under pressure not to be the one to spoil the party and tell us that Worldcom or Enron might be frauds.

When the public is going "lol, Tesla is screwed now" and the stock is dropping like a rock, the auditors are going to feel free to be as skeptical and nit-picky as they want.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Trying to organize a loving armed coup of the United States = "no rules in the rulebook about this one!"

Reposting publicly available information about Elon's planes that is publicly available to the public on a public website publicly: "we rewrote the TOS to make sure this is permanently bannable!"

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Eurogoons saying the EU is gonna go after Musk is starting to sound a lot like Amerigoons saying the DOJ is going to go after Trump

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

Chrpno posted:

lol @ "I don't know how to get Elon's attention". Just code faster, dude

Elon's kids dont know how to get his attention either

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Rigel posted:

I think it would be extremely difficult to get away with playing games with their balance sheet and income statement right now. Historically, you usually see accounting fraud when everyone just "knows" that a company is very successful without any doubt or question, but internally there's trouble and the accountants are under pressure not to be the one to spoil the party and tell us that Worldcom or Enron might be frauds.

When the public is going "lol, Tesla is screwed now" and the stock is dropping like a rock, the auditors are going to feel free to be as skeptical and nit-picky as they want.
The thing with Tesla's valuation is that it's always been a bunch of pie-in-the-sky bullshit. It's not like Elon went "we sold 100 trillion cars this quarter!" and everyone believed it uncritically based on lots of faked revenue (there is a little shenanigans I'm sure though), it's the idea that Tesla will lead the world into a new era of electric car ownership and will win the race and become the dominant carmaker of the 21st century. Tesla has been quite open about the fact it was unprofitable until recently and its units moved is a drop in the bucket of the overall auto market. There is no obvious fraud besides the delusion its biggest investors were foisting on themselves believing Tesla not only will win the electric car sweepstakes, but that it already has.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

kazil posted:

Eurogoons saying the EU is gonna go after Musk is starting to sound a lot like Amerigoons saying the DOJ is going to go after Trump

I don't see them going after Musk directly, but Twitter's legal team (or the one intern they got left) is going to see a flurry of lawsuits over the multitude of labor law violations and enabling of hate speech. It's just that this takes a lot of time and a lot of this will be solved by Elon throwing money at the problems until they go away. But there's no way any EU court will let things like "click the hardcore button or you've voluntarily resigned" fly.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

kazil posted:

Amazon got fined nearly a billion dollars for GDPR violations last year

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
The other selling point to retail stock buyers was that Tesla would use their first mover status to rapidly create a full line of cars at all price points with high production to become a consumer driven monopoly on electric cars. Then the finances were so bad/tight that they never moved down market and prioritized building top level trim cars. Their year over year production numbers have increased, but the eschewing high levels of factory automation has hurt them very bad.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

kazil posted:

Henry Kissinger will die before either of those two face repercussions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

While I don't have an opinion on Tesla's books, I think Neuralink is Theranos 2.0 and just as fraudulent. "Human trials in 6 months" get the gently caress out of here. That's an intentional lie. "It will cure Alzheimer's" no it won't, you know you're full of poo poo.

It drives me nuts to see people take it seriously.