Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Also someone stole one of my artifacts! :mad:

I have a mission on my world screen to go recover it -- does that mean the culprit made a clean getaway, or can there still be someone to interrogate within my fortress?

Also, the my fort hasn't even elected a mayor yet, so I can't assign a captain of the guard or whatever to interrogate suspects. Apparently no one saw anything despite it being in the middle of a busy tavern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Flavahbeast posted:

My military reached a critical mass where I could comfortably clear out the hundreds of bird people infesting the cavern. My surviving mildwarfs are now much stronger but also miserable from all the bird death and miasma, hopefully they acclimate well to civilian life for a while!

I've been loving the cavebird saga.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

So bumbling around in this game, basically clueless but enjoying it nonetheless.

Sadly one of the children went mad and cloistered himself in a crafting factory and continuously drew pictures of skeletons and rough gems until he died of dehydration.
Subsequently, his ghost attacks the innkeeper on a daily basis. I kinda don't want to know the backstory here.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, fire-breathing forgotten beasts don't mess around. Bastard took out 4 beast slayers, 5 militia and my legendary miner that somehow managed to find his way out of the area I'd locked down.

Edit: and a cat

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Dec 15, 2022

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

biglads posted:

So bumbling around in this game, basically clueless but enjoying it nonetheless.

Sadly one of the children went mad and cloistered himself in a crafting factory and continuously drew pictures of skeletons and rough gems until he died of dehydration.
Subsequently, his ghost attacks the innkeeper on a daily basis. I kinda don't want to know the backstory here.

Those pictures were him trying to communicate to you to have rough gems and bones from a butchered animal so that he could make your fort an artifact and become a legendary craftsdwarf in the process. It's a secretive mood so he doesn't give away very detailed information about exactly what he's doing but just asking for bones and uncut gems was the request here.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is there some top secret pro tip to get your dwarfs to cut down trees without killing themselves in the steam version?

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

AFK'd to talk to my girlfriend this morning, and forgot I had a mood one of my workshops and didn't pause, so pour one out for Rakust. She's now roaming my halls naked and angry. Doesn't seem to be harming anyone's mood too much yet, but I worry about her kids when she kicks the bucket from refusing to eat or drink. Oh well.

Also, I'm trying something new: I'm gonna pump magma up to my workshop level and finally make an array of magma smelters and smithies. Wish me luck. I expect no small amount of !!FUN!!.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

The Moon Monster posted:

Is there some top secret pro tip to get your dwarfs to cut down trees without killing themselves in the steam version?
no, it just happens sometimes afaik. might be bugged, I don't think treecutting was this explosively lethal previously

e: by the way, the logs are confirmed coming back, there's just other fires that need putting out first. not that either of those things are a surprise

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 15, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Appoda posted:

Also someone stole one of my artifacts! :mad:

I have a mission on my world screen to go recover it -- does that mean the culprit made a clean getaway, or can there still be someone to interrogate within my fortress?

Also, the my fort hasn't even elected a mayor yet, so I can't assign a captain of the guard or whatever to interrogate suspects. Apparently no one saw anything despite it being in the middle of a busy tavern.
One of my favorite things of DF is that if someone steals your artifact, you can interrogate visitors and they'll occasionally give you information as to the possible whereabouts of an artifact, and eventually you'll collect enough information to know where it is so you can send military dorfs there to return it.

Alternatively, if you never find it, it's entirely possible for someone to show up with it in a later fort, either carried by a visitor, a monster, or a dorf.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

fermun posted:

Those pictures were him trying to communicate to you to have rough gems and bones from a butchered animal so that he could make your fort an artifact and become a legendary craftsdwarf in the process. It's a secretive mood so he doesn't give away very detailed information about exactly what he's doing but just asking for bones and uncut gems was the request here.

I think I must have traded all my gems away :(
His ghost haunting the innkeeper is weird, gonna keep an eye on the innkeeper I think. Perhaps he had a cow bone stashed away somewhere and wouldn't share.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

biglads posted:

I think I must have traded all my gems away :(
His ghost haunting the innkeeper is weird, gonna keep an eye on the innkeeper I think. Perhaps he had a cow bone stashed away somewhere and wouldn't share.

make a memorial slab for the kid and the ghost will be laid to rest.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Adventures In DF Modding:
friend complains that its dumb that dwarfs cant get water from snow, i agree
look up reactions
decide its probably impossible
see theres an adventure mode ability to make snow into water
find out its hardcoded
try to write a reaction anyways to do it
surprised to see that dwarf fortress accepted it without question
it doesnt appear in fortress mode
remember i have to actually make it so the dwarf civilization entity has [PERMITTED_REACTION:Make_Snow_Into_Water]
it appears now
surprised yet again to see that dwarf fortress recognized my calling of the hardcoded 'WATER:NONE' material in POWDER_MISC form constitutes 'Snow'
dwarfs will not collect snow.
dwarfs cannot actually recognize the existence of snow, or any other 'coating'.
but they will recognize WATER:BOULDER as Ice
edit the reaction
the game recognizes Ice as something you need now, and the dwarfs can collect it when its a boulder
reaction is peformed
water is placed into a bucket
i think they can drink out of a bucket???
check bucket
ice is in the bucket
it froze
move the reaction indoors, try again
the dwarf works, then stops
the water is outside the bucket
it melted too fast
third time, got bucket faster, water is now in the bucket
i still dont know if they can drink out of it

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't know how or why I have so many goddamn Mussel shells. Also I still haven't really figured out how to maintain a supply of Drink, like I just can't grow enough Plants to keep my Still fueled. For a game whose tagline is apparently "Losing is fun!" I figured things would be going more off the rails with ~80 dorfs and no booze.

edit; woops lol, I figured Alt+Print Screen wouldn't capture my picture-in-picture

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Adventures In DF Modding:
friend complains that its dumb that dwarfs cant get water from snow, i agree
look up reactions
decide its probably impossible
see theres an adventure mode ability to make snow into water
find out its hardcoded
try to write a reaction anyways to do it
surprised to see that dwarf fortress accepted it without question
it doesnt appear in fortress mode
remember i have to actually make it so the dwarf civilization entity has [PERMITTED_REACTION:Make_Snow_Into_Water]
it appears now
surprised yet again to see that dwarf fortress recognized my calling of the hardcoded 'WATER:NONE' material in POWDER_MISC form constitutes 'Snow'
dwarfs will not collect snow.
dwarfs cannot actually recognize the existence of snow, or any other 'coating'.
but they will recognize WATER:BOULDER as Ice
edit the reaction
the game recognizes Ice as something you need now, and the dwarfs can collect it when its a boulder
reaction is peformed
water is placed into a bucket
i think they can drink out of a bucket???
check bucket
ice is in the bucket
it froze
move the reaction indoors, try again
the dwarf works, then stops
the water is outside the bucket
it melted too fast
third time, got bucket faster, water is now in the bucket
i still dont know if they can drink out of it

Sounds about right. I spent like 3 hours implementing cochineal dye once only to find the next day Masterwork had already done basically exactly the same implementation.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

I caged about a dozen goblin invaders and decided they'd make good target practice. My 10 marksdwarves could use some live fire time, god knows they don't spend enough at the archery ranges. Logically, if I use bone bolts instead of metal, they'll get more shots off and thus more skill time. The fortifications are built, the cages are hooked to the lever, the dwarves are in place.

It took them TWO MONTHS to kill them all. They're miserable. So much miasma. Granted, they mostly all shot up at least a couple of skill levels, but AT WHAT COST (the cost is tanking the happiness of my fortress)

Anyway, learn from my mistake. Do 1 or 2 at a time, not 12, and do them outdoors.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

Sounds about right. I spent like 3 hours implementing cochineal dye once only to find the next day Masterwork had already done basically exactly the same implementation.

its just frustrating what you can and cant do

also it turns out they cant drink water from a barrel and they all died, the end
e: still dont know about buckets tho

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 15, 2022

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

My rock tasks don't seem to be going to my stoneworker workshops for some reason. I have a stoneworker assigned to only do stoneworker labor (cutting, smoothing, engraving, masonry) and a few others assigned to also do them (but not exclusively) but the tasks just aren't showing up in the workshops. Any ideas why?

Edit: oh... my manager is in the hospital. That's why isn't it?

Edit 2: yep. That's why.

Decon fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 15, 2022

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Sab669 posted:

I don't know how or why I have so many goddamn Mussel shells. Also I still haven't really figured out how to maintain a supply of Drink, like I just can't grow enough Plants to keep my Still fueled. For a game whose tagline is apparently "Losing is fun!" I figured things would be going more off the rails with ~80 dorfs and no booze.

Until you open up the caverns, I think you're better off sourcing brewable material from plant gathering on the surface.

Decon posted:

My rock tasks don't seem to be going to my stoneworker workshops for some reason. I have a stoneworker assigned to only do stoneworker labor (cutting, smoothing, engraving, masonry) and a few others assigned to also do them (but not exclusively) but the tasks just aren't showing up in the workshops. Any ideas why?

Edit: oh... my manager is in the hospital. That's why isn't it?

Yes your manager needs to sit down in their office and approve work orders.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sab669 posted:

edit; woops lol, I figured Alt+Print Screen wouldn't capture my picture-in-picture
do uncrafted shells not fit in bins

because if they do, it's definitely time for some bins

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

nielsm posted:

Until you open up the caverns, I think you're better off sourcing brewable material from plant gathering on the surface.

Yes your manager needs to sit down in their office and approve work orders.

Yep. He's been replaced till he's out of the hospital.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If people are making mods please make an advanced site finder mod that includes a search option for volcanoes and nearby civ types

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

do uncrafted shells not fit in bins

because if they do, it's definitely time for some bins

Uncrafted shells are refuse, refuse can't go in bins.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Merchants seem to have difficulty leaving your trade depot in this version. Deconstructing the depot will kick them out, but I'm pretty sure that in some previous versions this counted as stealing all their poo poo and would piss of their civilization eventually. New merchants won't show up if you have one at your depot, at any rate. I'm also having trouble attracting migrants.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Volcano fort news: things have been quiet for a while, I crushed the two nearby goblin villages and their farther cousins sent a very middling raid party to my fort and got promptly slaughtered.
I've been training up my squads and setting up a trap corridor, waiting for the other foot to drop and... finally a challenge! An ettin is approaching my fort! Into the burrows, raise the drawbridge, guard the stairs and wait for it to walk the corridor of death!
Turns out the ettin was weak and cowardly, and one macedwarf and one herbalist were enough to pummel it to death. The only casualty on my side was a cat that got mauled by the ettin, and one of my dwarves fell into the spike pit and injured his leg...

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If people are making mods please make an advanced site finder mod that includes a search option for volcanoes and nearby civ types

im sorry did you ask for "functionality", all i can offer is creation of a literal hundred eyed angel with each tissue layer defined independently to better represent how many eyes a single iron bolt will skewer, and crops that grow geese that lay iron thrones.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

IronicDongz posted:

Honestly, to me this kind of sounds like you're in "get a new CPU" territory.

Speaking of, does this game utilise multiple cores and threads? It it's it I'm single threaded like Rimworld?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I also had a billion mussel shells, I suspect from dwarves fishing at the river and utilizing a fishery. Even five years after we ran out of mussels to harvest I'm still offloading boxes of shell figurines.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does cave foliage only grow on actual soil layers, and not rock layers that have had mud spread on them?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Tiler Kiwi posted:

im sorry did you ask for "functionality", all i can offer is creation of a literal hundred eyed angel with each tissue layer defined independently to better represent how many eyes a single iron bolt will skewer, and crops that grow geese that lay iron thrones.

And a very popular gorilla milking mod, somehow (I know how).

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Speaking of, does this game utilise multiple cores and threads? It it's it I'm single threaded like Rimworld?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLNlHbbNja8

Mr E posted:

And a very popular gorilla milking mod, somehow (I know how).

pppssshhh all that was adding a single [MILKABLE] tag onto a creature. you could make milkable anything in an instant.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

The Moon Monster posted:

Does cave foliage only grow on actual soil layers, and not rock layers that have had mud spread on them?

I’ve got cave foliage on my rock layers that were muddied during the great flood of building a second well.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
once I have soap in my fort, is there an easy way to make my dwarves use it to bathe and get happy thoughts

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

This game does not. Games utilizing multiple cores are actually quite rare, because it's harder to do than it sounds!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
technically i think it has sound and maybe rendering on separate threads? but yeah, not most (if any) of the actual game logic

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 15, 2022

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
This game really makes feel like a real manager. Having to check constantly who's not doing what I askef while ignoring the constant flow of requests from my dwarves.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Welp, I would really appreciate instructions on how to mark animals for butchering and/or gelding. I have a dogsplosion going on.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I apparently missed assigning some of my animals to pastures because they starved to death, rip. I have their bodies now down to skeletons in a corpse stockpile outside. I remember being able to butcher skeletons at a butchery to reclaim the bones and skulls and things but I'm not seeing an option, dis i make this up? It wouldn't let me butcher it right after it dropped dead either.

I also started a fort a bit ago with invasions/sieges/etc all turned off to ease back into things but now I've mostly eased and I'm bored. Should I trust it to eventually provide me with shenanigans or should I try to actually get minecarts working for the first time ever?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I noticed one of my dwarfs is a "sunless one" and has blue skin. Did this guy die and get raised by my necromancer, or was he already like this when he immigrated? If it's the former I'd consider building my necromancer some kind of drowning observation chamber. My Giant Kea Elimination Committee could use some undead.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Pickled Tink posted:

Welp, I would really appreciate instructions on how to mark animals for butchering and/or gelding. I have a dogsplosion going on.

Go to the list of units and click on the pets tab. There's a bloody cleaver icon that marks them for butchering, once they're marked it'll be done automatically if you have an available butcher workshop and a dwarf capable of that labor. Dunno about gelding but I'd assume it's similar. But hey, if you can turn your dogsplosion into a stable system your dwarfs could be eating dog brain biscuits while wearing dog bone leggings and sipping sewer brew from dog leather flasks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
So... don't mix necromancers into your militia. Unless they're all necromancers. Even then, maybe don't.

Problem is, the odds of making intelligent undead are REALLY HIGH now for some reason. And it still comes with the whole 'their original allegiance still stands' thing. So what ends up happening is you'll cut down some elf, a necromancer will raise them as an intelligent undead... that's still hostile. You put it down, but they KEEP DOING IT for the entire battlefield, and the game slows to a crawl. Keep your refuse and corpse stockpiles well hidden, and keep the purple brigade indoors when you can.

I might have to give up on this fortress if I can't get it under control.