Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://www.lsm.lv/raksts/zinas/latvija/jaunas-valdibas-apnemiba-mediju-politika--vairs-neatbalstit-papildu-saturu-krievu-valoda.a486917/

The new government declaration is in, including an explicit statement that it is not going to support Russian-language media.

Is it about licensing in general or just about Rus.LSM as a state-sponsored cable channel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://rus.lsm.lv/statja/novosti/analitika/migracionnaja-sluzhba-zhdet-ot-dozhdja-obyjasneniy-po-kazhdomu-rabotniku.a486709/

PMLP is gunning hard for deporting Dozhd' employees, it seems.

https://zona.media/news/2022/12/13/kaminskas

Speaking of deportations, Lithuania seems to have deprived of citizenship a Lithuanian dude for being married to Shoygu's alleged mistress.

Paladinus posted:

Is it about licensing in general or just about Rus.LSM as a state-sponsored cable channel?

This is NA's pet peeve, and it's meant to be in general. Puntulis, their incoming culture minister, is spitting bile at having to extend support for the ongoing investments too, but, from a policy perspective, you should interpret this as a 4-year government veto on approving anything that would require public resources. For now, anyway. I'll be only half-surprised, I'm afraid, if any renewals of ongoing financing, paltry as it is, simply get dropped when theyr circle back to the parliament.

Edit: https://lvportals.lv/norises/347348-apstiprinata-jauna-valdiba-deklaretais-merkis-ekonomikas-transformacija-2022 this is the full, official government declaration, if anyone's curious.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 14, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

I didn't realize Riga also had a stuffed dogmonaut

RIP

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The head of the Polish police force blew himself up with a rocket launcher.

You read that right.

Reports started emerging yesterday evening that an explosion occurred earlier in the day in the central police hq in Warsaw, in a room adjacent to the commander’s office. A rocket propelled grenade went off, striking and damaging the ceiling. An unnamed person was reported wounded, hinting at security personnel.

As the day went on, an unusual info blackout continued, but it became clear that the head of police himself was involved and the “adjecent room” was in fact a part of his office. Confirmation came this evening that an RPG brought as a gift from Ukraine by the general during his recent visit there went off. There’s no information if someone was handling the weapon at the time of the accident (lol, of course he was handling it and showing off to idiot friends). The general is in hospital and it’s not reported what state he’s in.

The whole thing raises many questions, including how the general could have legally brought the weapon over the border and how live explosives ended up getting carried around the police hq building.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Well, reporters got to insider info that in fact yes, someone was fooling around with the grenade launcher, so it's a loving miracle everyone is alive.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
:wtc:

If it was inside, and it was a portable launcher, the projectile probably didn't arm itself before impact. However, backblast can still kill you indoors, so…

(Pure speculation, of course. I couldn't find what kind of device was involved)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Antigravitas posted:

:wtc:

If it was inside, and it was a portable launcher, the projectile probably didn't arm itself before impact. However, backblast can still kill you indoors, so…

(Pure speculation, of course. I couldn't find what kind of device was involved)

Now a bunch of contemporary RPG's have a soft launch mechanism which allows firing from indoors, but even firing a normal rifle indoors is going to do wonders to your ears if you're not wearing protection of any kind. If that's all that happened then they are some of the luckiest idiots alive.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Jeez, Russia could sabotage the support structure for Ukraine by just...shipping dangerous objects to European politicians.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Jeez, Russia could sabotage the support structure for Ukraine by just...shipping dangerous objects to European politicians.

No don't be ridiculous.
This gift was personally picked up by Gen. Szymczyk (Chief of the Police) during his visit to Ukraine, and then brought back through the border, into the capital, into the Police HQ and into his loving office. A live explosive.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Kikas posted:

No don't be ridiculous.
This gift was personally picked up by Gen. Szymczyk (Chief of the Police) during his visit to Ukraine, and then brought back through the border, into the capital, into the Police HQ and into his loving office. A live explosive.

Rank has its privileges.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
A really positive development, European countries recognize that taking away people's food and then not providing relief to them after they start starving leading to deaths of millions is not simply some unfortunate mismanagement, but is actually bad

https://www.dw.com/en/european-parliament-recognizes-ukraine-holodomor-as-genocide/a-64107714

quote:

The European Parliament on Thursday voted for a resolution declaring the deliberately induced famine in Ukraine 90 years ago a genocide.

The text of the resolution said the EU legislature "recognizes the Holodomor, the artificial famine of 1932-1933 in Ukraine caused by a deliberate policy of the Soviet regime, as a genocide against the Ukrainian people."

EU lawmakers "strongly condemn these acts, which resulted in the deaths of millions of Ukrainians, and call on all countries and organizations that have not yet done so to follow suit and recognize it as genocide," the statement read.

"While condemning the current Russian regime for manipulating historical memory for the purpose of its own survival, Parliament calls on the Russian Federation, as the primary successor of the Soviet Union, to apologies for those crimes," the press release read.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

General Szymczyk update - multiple sources now confirm the general himself was entertaining people in his office. He started fiddling around with a grenade launcher, which launched into the room next door and exploded/impacted the floor there, damaging the ceiling of a top secret file archive below.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Truly what one could expect from Polish Police force, who's unofficial motto is "Strong against weak, weak against strong".
Other Warsaw Police news I've caught recently: they are moderately short staffed, and it might get bad soon. Someone floated the idea of providing personnel from closeby cities and making all recruits do a yearly practice rotations there.
No idea if the only reason is high cost of living. My guess would be that also having to deal with all the protesters, serving loving politicians whims, etc.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

If this is the effect of politicizing their actions - mass quitting in protest - then its the one saving grace for this joke of a force.

Some 5-10 years ago Polish police emerged from their shambolic 90’s state and seemed to be a fairly normal European force. I remember the wild 90s and just outright bribing fuckers to be able to drive off and I’m super happy these days are gone, but PiS managed to find their diehard supporters in the force and managed to turn it into a thug-for-hire operation against political opponents (just like in the justice system).

Most of the cops I meet these days - and I live in a heavily policed area - are absolutely incompetent and lazy. I got into a shoving match with one of them in front of Dworzec Centralny in Warsaw after finding him sleeping in a police car while blocking traffic down the road from some event and exchanging some crazy unpleasant words. I regularly shove them aside from the sidewalk, because they tend to stand in the middle of the path in front of embassies and ministries. Half of the area where I live has sidewalks blocked by antiriot fences because PiS is afraid a demo may spring up at any moment and *checks notes* put up tents in front of the PMs office? God I hate these fuckers.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I guess all those people who raised the concern that the weapons flooding into Ukraine would lead to a back blast in the rest of Europe weren't wrong.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I'd love to know what kind of weapon that was. But I assume anything remotely useful wouldn't be just gifted away, so maybe some old unwieldy Soviet piece like early production badly maintained RPG-7 with missing sights and training warhead. Or comedy option: German provided Strela.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Hannibal Rex posted:

I guess all those people who raised the concern that the weapons flooding into Ukraine would lead to a back blast in the rest of Europe weren't wrong.

I mean, duh? War does this. From the first weeks anti-violence against women orgs were saying that Ukraine needs to initiate a weapon recovery program because a deadly weapon at home is the biggest predictor of domestic violence becoming spousal murder.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

alex314 posted:

I'd love to know what kind of weapon that was. But I assume anything remotely useful wouldn't be just gifted away, so maybe some old unwieldy Soviet piece like early production badly maintained RPG-7 with missing sights and training warhead. Or comedy option: German provided Strela.

In my head-canon it’s an RPG-7. I like to imagine the projectile was separate, they loaded it in for poo poo and giggles and fake-launched it only it actually launched.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Mokotow posted:

In my head-canon it’s an RPG-7. I like to imagine the projectile was separate, they loaded it in for poo poo and giggles and fake-launched it only it actually launched.

Don't most have a distance fuse SPECIFICALLY to prevent this lol

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
In my headcanon it's a full HIMARS

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

According to journalist definition of a tank, it’s a Makarov pistol

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

With this coming holiday season you can also give your loved ones the best gift:

Globe of Poland

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

alex314 posted:

With this coming holiday season you can also give your loved ones the best gift:

Globe of Poland

this is so stupid that i love it. have a link for this that ships to Latvia?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Don’t see it shipping outside of Poland but let me know, I’ll grab it for you and send it.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Dec 17, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

What's on the dark side of planet Polska?

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Nenonen posted:

Russia?

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Nenonen posted:

San Escobar, I think

e: better map

RedSnapper fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 17, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Tiny Russia

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Asking questions about the globe which are answered by looking at the globe.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Wow, a knock-off globe of Ukraine!

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

FishBulbia posted:

:hmmyes:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FishBulbia posted:

:vince:

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Going back to the Police officer that blew up their office the gift was most likely German RGW-90, one use AT weapon. Looks like someone has forgot to double check if it's just spent ones that are handed over as souvenirs. What's surprising is there must be significant difference in weight between ready and empty ones...

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
:argh: Germany now blowing up Polish police.

But seriously, how. An unfired AT launcher is pretty easy to distinguish from the spent one…

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Apparently he saw a spent one modified to a loudspeaker, he probably thought he got himself a boombox.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

mmkay posted:

Apparently he saw a spent one modified to a loudspeaker, he probably thought he got himself a boombox.

I'd pay decent money for one of those if they were fully working portable Bluetooth speakers...

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

mmkay posted:

Warsaw police chief should know better than getting a ghetto blaster smh

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Nenonen posted:

Warsaw police chief should know better than getting a ghetto blaster smh

Especially a German Warsaw Ghetto blaster

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/liveblog/2022/12/19/russia-ukraine-live-news-serious-damage-after-attack-on-kyiv

quote:

Moldova fears new Russian push towards breakaway east in 2023
Moldova’s spy chief said there was a “very high” risk of a new Russian offensive towards his country’s east next year, and that Moscow is still aiming to secure a land corridor through Ukraine to the breakaway Moldovan region of Transnistria.

The comments by Alexandru Musteata, head of the Information and Security Service, echo recent messages out of Ukraine where top army generals have warned in recent days of the threat of a major Russian offensive early next year.

“The question is not whether the Russian Federation will undertake a new advance towards Moldova’s territory, but when it will do so,” Musteata told the TVR-Moldova television channel.

He said his agency believed Russia was looking at several scenarios to reach Moldova and that it was possible an offensive would be launched in January or February, or later in March or April.

Honestly, this always seems like the next step for Russia. Although it would be easier if they controlled the parts of Ukraine bordering Moldova. But right now their troops are just stationed in the breakaway part of Moldova without getting them much in return. Absorb those parts of the country plus take a bite out of the rest before they can get some form of security guarantee from the rest of Europe/NATO/the US.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I have no idea how they could do anything in Moldova and, for that matter, if there are any Russian troops right now in Transnistria, considering there’s no way of getting Russian airplanes in or out. An invasion would only be possible through an amphibious assault around Odesa via Ukraine. I mean. Sure, why not.