Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Regarde Aduck posted:

like what was the EU project even for? Was it just to make the US running it into the ground that much easier? Was it ever its own thing?

If I recall it was supposed to be a thing that made it impossible for Euro powers to ever wage war on each other again.

"powers" at the time anyway. These days they're crumbling museums with some eurofighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
My read on the EU is it's the fourth reich, but subservient to the Yankee empire.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

hey put a translation ffs.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Tankbuster posted:

hey put a translation ffs.

The linked video is in English.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I am not clicking on a video in this thread.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

The linked video is in English.

I am sure there will be an attempt at an offensive to keep domestic morale up, it is just the Ukrainians haven't fared well when the Russians decided to fight for territory.

Tankbuster posted:

I am not clicking on a video in this thread.

The pro-Ukrainian side is making grander and grander claims about offensives (and also in the video much of other random stuff).

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 12:56 on Dec 15, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/runews/status/1603004104531496960

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Gotta go with Robert Mueller and the rule of law on that one tbh

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Really don't like how close the front is to donetsk

The scale of the humanitarian disaster that would follow Ukraine occupying that city would eclipse all that came before and it would receive no western coverage

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Regarde Aduck posted:

Really don't like how close the front is to donetsk

The scale of the humanitarian disaster that would follow Ukraine occupying that city would eclipse all that came before and it would receive no western coverage

The opposite would happen, they would blast media coverage of the place for weeks and addendum everything seen is Putin's fault. They just won't record themselves firing the bullets.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I tire of the Russians I want American planes doing sorties over Russian territory, make them howl

This is Ukraines war to lose and we intend they win.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Orange Devil posted:

The European elite never saw the US as a threat whose shadow they needed to get out from. Except maybe DeGaulle. So the EU can't be that.

“Looking back at history, however, it is in fact safe to say that ‘U.S. paranoia about the border’ has always kept Canadian elites awake at night, thus influencing every Canadian policy ever made.”

Srdjan Vucetic

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Zodium posted:

the european and american bourgeoisie identify as neither european nor american, but simply as bourgeois.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPR/status/1603381611533201409

https://twitter.com/olgatokariuk/status/1603403254787964930

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 15:58 on Dec 15, 2022

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I love these wish lists. Maybe we should try asking even one person, what are you doing with the stuff we give you now?

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Reminds me of the contractor in Iraq that told of moving their $80,000 Mercedes truck over to the side of the road for a popped tire and just burning it for lack of a spare tire

"Who gives a gently caress? We don't see the bill"

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

He's asking for an entirely new army, which should raise questions about what happened to the peacetime one and the one or two they've been given since then

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Russia will try to capture Kyiv again next year, in January or in spring

that's a pretty wide range to make a prediction

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I would like it to be known that I also would win the war if I had an army.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

His full comments are worth reading. Zaluzhny's essentially saying that he can't recapture the rest of Kherson without an armored corps' worth of new materiel, which he seems to strongly imply he's not expecting to get.

quote:

TE: Are your allies holding you back in any way from advancing on Crimea?

VZ: I can’t answer the question of whether they are holding back or not. I will simply state the facts. In order to reach the borders of Crimea, as of today we need to cover a distance of 84km to Melitopol. By the way, this is enough for us, because Melitopol would give us a full fire control of the land corridor, because from Melitopol we can already fire at the Crimean Isthmus, with the very same HIMARS and so on. Why am I saying this to you? Because it goes back to my earlier point about resources. I can calculate, based on the task at hand, what kind of resource is needed to build combat capability.

We are talking about the scale of World War One…that is what Antony Radakin [Britain’s top soldier] told me. When I told him that the British Army fired a million shells in World War One, I was told, “We will lose Europe. We will have nothing to live on if you fire that many shells.” When they say, “You get 50,000 shells”, the people who count the money faint. The biggest problem is that they really don’t have it.

With this kind of resources I can’t conduct new big operations, even though we are working on one right now. It is on the way, but you don’t see it yet. We use a lot fewer shells.

I know that I can beat this enemy. But I need resources. I need 300 tanks, 600-700 IFVs, 500 Howitzers. Then, I think it is completely realistic to get to the lines of February 23rd. But I can’t do it with two brigades. I get what I get, but it is less than what I need. It is not yet time to appeal to Ukrainian soldiers in the way that Mannerheim appealed to Finnish soldiers. We can and should take a lot more territory.
Also his assessment of Russian mobilization seems a lot sunnier than CNN's:

quote:

TE: What do you make of Russia’s mobilisation?

VZ: Russian mobilisation has worked. It is not true that their problems are so dire that these people will not fight. They will. A tsar tells them to go to war, and they go to war. I’ve studied the history of the two Chechen wars—it was the same. They may not be that well equipped, but they still present a problem for us. We estimate that they have a reserve of 1.2m-1.5m people… The Russians are preparing some 200,000 fresh troops. I have no doubt they will have another go at Kyiv.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Yeah like you could give that, and what's already been given, to anyone else and they'd have made a go of it

The UA is just Star Citizen at this point. Don't ask where all the donations went, just send more!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
feels bad when you go to the military formations store and they tell you they just sold off their last tank army

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

sum posted:

Zaluzhniy needs to read more Al-Saqr posts

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

that's a pretty wide range to make a prediction

No, he's saying Russia will either jump off when the ground is sufficiently frozen, or if not, they will do it once the ground is sufficiently dried.

What he's not expecting is for the Russians to start an offensive in mud season again.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

https://yle.fi/a/74-20008814/64-3-128368?utm_medium=social&utm_source=copy-link-share

A gift given by a Ukrainian official to the Polish police chief exploded, Poland asks for an explanation

Polish police chief Jaroslaw Szymczyk was hospitalized on Wednesday after a gift he received from a Ukrainian official exploded. Szymczyk suffered minor injuries. According to AFP, the Polish Ministry of the Interior tells about the matter.

According to the Ministry of the Interior, the explosion took place on Wednesday morning in the room next to the police director's office. The ministry says that the police chief had received gifts during his working visit to Ukraine on December 11-12. and that one of these gifts exploded.

Szymczyk had met with the Ukrainian police leadership and representatives of the rescue service. According to the Ministry of the Interior, the gift that exploded was given by a person in charge of these services.

According to the ministry, Poland has asked Ukraine for an explanation.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

gradenko_2000 posted:

Zaluzhniy needs to read more Al-Saqr posts

Which ones.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Hazamuth posted:

https://yle.fi/a/74-20008814/64-3-128368?utm_medium=social&utm_source=copy-link-share

According to the ministry, Poland has asked Ukraine for an explanation.

Ukraine: It was a Russian missile

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
cant believe the banderites are trying to assassinate polish officials, surely this has never happened before

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
ukraine blew up a polish official to show they they're capable of blowing up their own officials

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://www.timesofisrael.com/in-li...78aaeUQZLUJWE3M

If you don't immediately murder wounded Soldiers you have captured you are a collaborator.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
They are bringing all the hits back.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dastardly russians have infiltrated the ranks of the ukrainian government and sending explosive gifts to ukraines allies

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

sum posted:

His full comments are worth reading. Zaluzhny's essentially saying that he can't recapture the rest of Kherson without an armored corps' worth of new materiel, which he seems to strongly imply he's not expecting to get.

quote:

VZ: I trust my generals. Since the start of the war I fired ten of them because they were not up to it. Another one shot himself. I trust Syrsky [General Oleksandr Syrsky, commander of Ukraine’s land forces]. If he tells me he needs another brigade, it means that he really needs another brigade. I certainly don’t think I am the smartest one here. I must and do listen to those who are in the field. Because the initiative is there.
I don't know why he could include that bit about one of his guys just shooting himself like that.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1603361570494578688?s=20&t=3qsrSTa0rCj-sQTSrP6Lrg

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

lol that they can't fathom what is going to happen to Ukraine. That it was not saved by NATO, it was sacrificed.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sum posted:

quote:

I know that I can beat this enemy. But I need resources. I need 300 tanks, 600-700 IFVs, 500 Howitzers. Then, I think it is completely realistic to get to the lines of February 23rd. But I can’t do it with two brigades. I get what I get, but it is less than what I need. It is not yet time to appeal to Ukrainian soldiers in the way that Mannerheim appealed to Finnish soldiers. We can and should take a lot more territory.

:thunk:

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

lmfao

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

sacrificed for what???

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Militarydotcom/status/1603443118472400898?s=20&t=3qsrSTa0rCj-sQTSrP6Lrg

quote:

After the war broke out, Ukraine's military outfitted many women with small-sized men’s uniforms or boots. In recent months, as part of its response, Zemliachky has crafted its designs to account for women’s bodies, sizes and needs.

Dozens of orders come in and go out by truck, train and courier daily, and a converted two-room warehouse stall in northeastern Kyiv serves as a showroom where women on leave can pick up the wares — made available for free — themselves.

Once, Drahaniuk recalled, she got a call indicating that an order for 10 uniforms and pairs of shoes needed to be reduced to five — after a Russian attack one night cost five lives.

"They really give their lives for the freedom of our country,” she said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The package sent to the Polish police chief came from Ukrainian minister Fyodor Khyzynskyy