Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Would be played by Chris Pratt in the movie? Checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

The best part of the art direction in this set is that people on twitter are already having extremely bizarre reactions to it that I hope continue as more cards are revealed.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the whole hellraiser flayed skin aesthetic is fairly uncomfortable and the corpse puppet venser was turned into is also a hell of a lot. i'm not going to blame anyone if the body horror aspect of the set hits them real poorly

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
funny, I just see Warframe Sentinels, or more precisely Amalgams

they could (and should) go waaay more into body horror if they wanted

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am looking forward to the Rhystic Studies video for this one

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Framboise posted:

I suppose this is where they learn how to un-compleat people because there's no way they're going to leave their most prominent character in that state. Jace is like the fuckin Mario of MTG at this point lol

lol no mario is cool. jace sucks. they had a boring guy before jace who was also their halfass mario and they got rid of him too.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Fish Of Doom posted:

The best part of the art direction in this set is that people on twitter are already having extremely bizarre reactions to it that I hope continue as more cards are revealed.

I think it is neat that wotc can do proper and unsettling horror art even in the pg-13 mass market oriented space that they aim at

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

flatluigi posted:

the whole hellraiser flayed skin aesthetic is fairly uncomfortable and the corpse puppet venser was turned into is also a hell of a lot. i'm not going to blame anyone if the body horror aspect of the set hits them real poorly

that person's not complaining about flayed skin. they're saying phyrexians mind controlling people is like stupid therapy that conservatives push on queer people to try and make them not gay or trans any more. honestly as a survivor of conversion therapy i find that comparison really offensive, silly fantasy magic that can rewrite your mind is nothing like the actual poo poo that goes on in conversion therapy.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i don't think you know that that person doesn't also have history with conversion therapy + i disagree that compleation has been treated as silly in the story, but w/e

regarding the spoilers: i saw someone point out that the font is incorrect, so i'd maybe take it with a big grain of salt. they also don't have particular details from the concept art that was posted (particularly, jace wielding luxior feels like a detail that'd carry over since it's such an odd pull to include) which makes me also doubt it, but that's more subjective

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

flatluigi posted:

i don't think you know that that person doesn't also have history with conversion therapy + i disagree that compleation has been treated as silly in the story, but w/e

no, i don't know about that person's experience. i didn't say they didn't. i said that i myself find it an absurd criticism.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Fish Of Doom posted:

It's not exactly clear to me what people expected from "the cronenberg-esque corrupting, flesh-shaping, monster machine villains are currently winning".

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Dec 15, 2022

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I think the art is beautiful, new phyrexias ascetics were what got me hooked on the game in the first place. But i understand it not being for everyone tbh

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

mandatory lesbian posted:

I think the art is beautiful, new phyrexias ascetics were what got me hooked on the game in the first place. But i understand it not being for everyone tbh

It's definitely not my thing but I've been impressed at what's been shown so far. All of the art looks to be extremely on theme with "planet of cyborg zombie demons setting up their multidimensional invasion army of grotesqueries", very good in terms of just overall quality, and a lot of it is extremely creepy.

I'm sure there are valid criticisms of the art direction to be had - although that conversion therapy analogy seems like an extreme stretch -but overall they're hitting it out of the park.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Arivia posted:

that person's not complaining about flayed skin. they're saying phyrexians mind controlling people is like stupid therapy that conservatives push on queer people to try and make them not gay or trans any more. honestly as a survivor of conversion therapy i find that comparison really offensive, silly fantasy magic that can rewrite your mind is nothing like the actual poo poo that goes on in conversion therapy.

I'm a CISHET white man, so like, y'know, who gives a gently caress about my take on this. But I see this mentality quite often and I don't get it, where, I mean... Compleation is a BAD thing? Right? WotC aren't endorsing conversion therapy just by having something similar to it in a game, especially when it's something that the villains are doing?

I guess the problematic part comes with playing with it as an ability in the game, ok, while typing this out I realised the potentially offensive part. But I mean, y'know, no one really thinks terminating someone is a good thing, I don't think you're 'supporting' death clouds when you cast it. But I can see that since it's sort of insidious and not as widely accepted as 'a bad thing™' as doing a murder is, having what is essentially conversion therapy be a game mechanic that you use to win a game feels a bit (or very, for some I guess) icky.

Yeah, alright, I'm fuckin' ignorant. Well, I'm gonna post it anyway to document my ignorance. Can't grow if I don't admit my mistakes.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

My opinion on the art so far is that I hate it, but I hate it in the sense of "This art is doing exactly what it's trying to do, it's just that what it's trying to do is disturb me" and not "This art is bad on a technical level".

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fish Of Doom posted:

Whoever this person is has been Online Too Long

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Explains why one literally cannot be used, one was banned for being completely free, and one purports to be hybrid g/r but is actually 5-color.

Isn't the only one banned in commander the singleton one? I don't really keep up with that format

But yeah they were (mostly) a disaster for every other format that's for dang sure

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Did I miss Tamiyo and Ajani being super gay pre-compleation and rigidly het post?
Or is there something specific about the process of completion that mirrors conversion therapy? Because if it's just the fact that magical borg swarm has a magical brainwashing thing, that is too generic to really say it's specifically a conversion therapy allegory. Cults and regimes also do indoctrination stuff and completion evokes the fear of those phenomena as well.

If that poster has experienced conversion therapy and subsequently developed a strong aversion to brain washing as a narrative device, I am genuinely sympathetic. That doesn't make it a good critique of the story though. If they don't have that experience, it feels a little like using trauma real people have experienced as ammunition in an internet slap fight.

I dunno. I'm mostly posting this hoping Tamiyo and Ajani were super gay and someone will share the cool lore I missed.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

The problem with social media is it amplifies some really strange loving takes and gives them legitimacy they usually haven’t earned.

I’m not saying that person can’t feel that way about conpleation and the art style of these sets, but I don’t know that it needs intense consideration.

For my own personal point of view, I am very squeamish about body horror/Hellraiser poo poo in movies, but I think this stuff all looks pretty rad.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Wittgen posted:

Did I miss Tamiyo and Ajani being super gay pre-compleation and rigidly het post?

Nah.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Isn't the only one banned in commander the singleton one? I don't really keep up with that format

But yeah they were (mostly) a disaster for every other format that's for dang sure

Lutri is banned because he's free, the other one is legal, but can't be played because no 120 card decks.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

People say Jace is MTG’s Mario but I feel like we barely see him any more. I haven’t checked so I might be way off but I think we’ve had way more Teferi planeswalkers than Jace’s in the post-Arena world (huge upgrade imo, even if he’s not a bald king anymore). I think Chandra is definitely the Planeswalker face of the franchise tho.

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

fadam posted:

People say Jace is MTG’s Mario but I feel like we barely see him any more. I haven’t checked so I might be way off but I think we’ve had way more Teferi planeswalkers than Jace’s in the post-Arena world (huge upgrade imo, even if he’s not a bald king anymore). I think Chandra is definitely the Planeswalker face of the franchise tho.

Last Jace card was Mirror Mage in ZNR, right? Been a few years then.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

serefin99 posted:

My opinion on the art so far is that I hate it, but I hate it in the sense of "This art is doing exactly what it's trying to do, it's just that what it's trying to do is disturb me" and not "This art is bad on a technical level".

:same:

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

fadam posted:

I don't think there's an equivalent. With Mario, everyone goes "Look it's Mario! I want to play the Mario game!" But with the Planeswalkers it's always been more like "Oh yeah, Jace is in this game isn't he. Is he at the moment? Yeah, but ... is a good one? Like is Jace a thing at the moment?" Where, you're peripherally aware of them as characters, but since it's really their impact on the GAME that matters not the fluff, the 'face' seems to just fluctuate between which one has a version out that seems broken somewhere at the moment. And, you get a ton of like, "Starter Deck Chandra!" type cards that are poo poo, which makes them feel kinda like mooks. Personally I feel like Chandra is the most omnipresent but also the most 'bulk Planeswalker' where I don't really feel anything about her as a character, I just see her as "repeatable burn that I'm hoping is on the plus rather than the minus on this one".

It's never felt to me like an ensemble cast of various protagonists as much as it has a grab bag of attempts that they're hoping will resonate and eventually will pick one to be the big name, but never have.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

!Klams posted:

I don't think there's an equivalent. With Mario, everyone goes "Look it's Mario! I want to play the Mario game!" But with the Planeswalkers it's always been more like "Oh yeah, Jace is in this game isn't he. Is he at the moment? Yeah, but ... is a good one? Like is Jace a thing at the moment?" Where, you're peripherally aware of them as characters, but since it's really their impact on the GAME that matters not the fluff, the 'face' seems to just fluctuate between which one has a version out that seems broken somewhere at the moment. And, you get a ton of like, "Starter Deck Chandra!" type cards that are poo poo, which makes them feel kinda like mooks. Personally I feel like Chandra is the most omnipresent but also the most 'bulk Planeswalker' where I don't really feel anything about her as a character, I just see her as "repeatable burn that I'm hoping is on the plus rather than the minus on this one".

It's never felt to me like an ensemble cast of various protagonists as much as it has a grab bag of attempts that they're hoping will resonate and eventually will pick one to be the big name, but never have.

I think chandra's design is pretty cool in a lot of her cards at least. Cool goggles, lots of fire, kinda.. magic punk I guess?

Jace I just feel basically nothing for other than I guess liking when he draws me cards

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I think chandra's design is pretty cool in a lot of her cards at least. Cool goggles, lots of fire, kinda.. magic punk I guess?

Jace I just feel basically nothing for other than I guess liking when he draws me cards

Sure her 'design' is cool, I think Garruks initial design was quite cool too. But what's her personality like? I assume she's hot-headed because lol fire, but I have no idea. I think she loves her mum, from Kaladesh or something? Iunno. More than that though, is she gonna be in the next one? No clue. She might not be in it ever again and I wouldn't be shocked. I don't feel like she's at all even slightly integral to MtG the brand being the game I know and love. Same for any of them.

I really like Karn, but, that was more because I liked his character back in the Urza days. He was kind of interesting to me, as this powerful pacifist. Then when they made him a planeswalker he somehow seemed more boring. MAYBE I was just more into the story back then, because you used to get a book with every fat pack, (in fact it's definitely this) but I just personally feel like all the Planeswalkers we know could ALL get compleated or killed, and I couldn't give a rats rear end if I tried.

We had that one Dominaria set with a billion Planeswalkers, and I don't feel as if any of them are any more or less 'the protagonist' of magic than say, Liliana.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Weird Pumpkin posted:

He's a generic wizard in a game full of wizards. The OG planeswalkers were Cat-man warrior, steampunk fire mage, barbarian woodsman, sexy goth necromancer, and wizard in a hooded robe. He wasn't even the cliche elder mentor, which could have made him slightly more interesting? idk. He is so generic as a character.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

dragon enthusiast posted:

Apparently leaked by an official WOTC account on Weibo?

If these aren't some slick as hell fakes using the new "oil slick" foil whatever that's supposed to be in the new fat pack, at least Jace and Vraska can still be bf/gf. To hell with Nissa

Serf
May 5, 2011

jassi007 posted:

He's a generic wizard in a game full of wizards. The OG planeswalkers were Cat-man warrior, steampunk fire mage, barbarian woodsman, sexy goth necromancer, and wizard in a hooded robe. He wasn't even the cliche elder mentor, which could have made him slightly more interesting? idk. He is so generic as a character.

The OG planeswalkers were the ur-wizard of the wizards, a man-turned dragonman, elf xenophobe, fantasy han solo, fantasy deadpool librarian, and cat-man warrior. Also Garth One-Eye

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

This is Commodore Guff erasure and I will not stand for it

Serf
May 5, 2011

Silhouette posted:

This is Commodore Guff erasure and I will not stand for it

He's fantasy deadpool librarian. And my favorite planeswalker

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

dragon enthusiast posted:

Apparently leaked by an official WOTC account on Weibo?

Those edges look horrible. They also appear to be pringles.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
^well yeah they're pringles, they're foiled lol

I'm curious when this guy came out because whenever I see him I just get "offbrand Rexxar" from him. I assume MTG made it first and then Warcraft proudly ripped it off like they do for literally all characters, settings, plot details, and ideas they've ever had, by mandate. I know they definitely cribbed form Liliana, wondering if Rexxar is another MtG copycat c haracter.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Khanstant posted:

I'm curious when this guy came out because whenever I see him I just get "offbrand Rexxar" from him. I assume MTG made it first and then Warcraft proudly ripped it off like they do for literally all characters, settings, plot details, and ideas they've ever had, by mandate. I know they definitely cribbed form Liliana, wondering if Rexxar is another MtG copycat c haracter.

Rexxar was in like warcraft 2, definitely predates garruk

e: Warcraft 3. Still, 2002, predating lorwyn by 5 years.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 15, 2022

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Khanstant posted:

I'm curious when this guy came out because whenever I see him I just get "offbrand Rexxar" from him.
October 2007

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
oh wow so it was the other way around. gotta say I prefer rexxar, if only because he isn't a human, the most offensive and offputting thing any character can be in a fantasy world where there's even a single other option.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
These universe beyond crossovers are getting out of control

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

To be fair $99 is right on the Hasbro price point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Please tell me that is his actual, for real MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT