Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I was wondering why none of the caravans had any literature, but my world is only 50 years old so obviously there aren't that many great works made yet. My scholars have been studying and copying a scroll called "The Possibilities Of Kosoth Stockadelungs", authored by the man himself, that concerns his career change from animal dissector to gem cutter right before my fort was settled. After years of study, one of my dwarves has come up with a new title, "Commentary On The Murky Tower", that concerns a masterful rope reed right mitten created in my fort. The library must be my favorite zone so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

junan_paalla posted:

The library must be my favorite zone so far.

Same!

I stole a book from goblins that sounded awesome “The Dark Fortress” but it’s about a goblin that joined a raid and it’s written terribly! Get that poo poo out of the archives!

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

junan_paalla posted:

The library must be my favorite zone so far.

And to think when we put a 'Scriptorum' in the Weepangels build all the way back in 2011 it was all about making Farming Handbooks to grind grower.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

mst4k posted:

Same!

I stole a book from goblins that sounded awesome “The Dark Fortress” but it’s about a goblin that joined a raid and it’s written terribly! Get that poo poo out of the archives!

You stole the goblin version of The Red Badge of Courage or some similar 6th grade English class required reading

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

I wonder if the monster slayers will finally be useful if I build the tavern literally in the cavern.

I've had mine fight cavern monsters, especially in the 1.0 military free version of my fort. Not as much once I rerolled with a bruiser crew. They also mostly died to those monsters since they fought alone.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Is it normal to embark at a completely flat location with deep soil, next to a brook/stream, and a light aquifer, get a couple levels down, hit an aquifer a couple levels deep, get past it and then a few more levels down, in the stone, hit another aquifer layer 4-6+ levels deep? Two aquifer layers in a single flat biome?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
idk I would never embark somewhere flat feels hosed up

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is it normal to embark at a completely flat location with deep soil, next to a brook/stream, and a light aquifer, get a couple levels down, hit an aquifer a couple levels deep, get past it and then a few more levels down, in the stone, hit another aquifer layer 4-6+ levels deep? Two aquifer layers in a single flat biome?

yeah it's not too unusual for a grassland to be set up like that. there may be parts of those z-levels that aren't part of the aquifer that you can mine or build in, though, and you have a lot of space downward to dig so it's not a big problem

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That’s how my fort is too, there’s all sorts of annoying aquifers down there. I should try and move down to the caverns.

If you fully wall off the edges of the caverns, what happens? Do you get stuff randomly spawning in?

I have been happily repelling goblin sieges with minimal casualties. One poor human wrestler got instantly sniped in the head, and my marksdwarves don’t seem to have any ammo so their melee combat has been underwhelming.

Also had my first Forgotten Beast attack. I didn’t realize they don’t set off traps, and it could fly anyway. It was a pteranodon that shoots fire and was billowing smoke. All of the smoke and fire really hosed up my pathfinding and nobody could figure out how to find it. Fortunately it lobbed a lot of fireballs and attacks at the kitten/puppy horde endemic to the fort. A single sword master tanked it long enough for the smoke to clear and another squad to break in. He died but they were able to kill it quickly.

A smoldering kitten corpse blocked my single staircase and jammed up pathfinding for about a week. So I have learned not to build 1 tile staircases the hard way. Just sucks punching through the aquifer with bigger stairs.

I have cave swallow men in the caverns who are also annoying because they can fly. Trying to create a moat and siege equipment set up to better defend from sieges. Are ballista/catapults good on the surface?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Jazerus posted:

and you have a lot of space downward to dig so it's not a big problem

I dunno. It seems like my test sites all have stone aquifers 5+ levels deep that take up almost all the levels between the surface soil and the first cavern layer, leaving only a couple levels above or below it to build in and I’d prefer a bit more than that for aesthetic reasons.

I tired increasing the minimum number of levels above “layer 1” in the world gen, but I swear that just made the aquifers even thicker lol. I did want a light aquifer for various reasons but this is getting to the point where I may just go back to a no aquifer zone and channeling into the surface river for Water-based Fun.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Aquifers might be the single most annoying addition to the game for me. It makes me long for the relative simplicity of the old 2D version.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

SettingSun posted:

Aquifers might be the single most annoying addition to the game for me. It makes me long for the relative simplicity of the old 2D version.

Yeah I wasn't onboard till post Z axis, but aquifers can definitely get hosed.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
:yeshaha: I finished my outer drawbridge and trap corridor, the last goblin raid got three traps deep before abandoning their raid and running away.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

light aquifers are kind of interesting because they're a water source and are very easy to pierce safely. heavy aquifers i never feel like i have the energy to deal with

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The one good thing about aquifers is they mean you don't *have* to embark on a stream.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't know how you all have such exciting things going on, I feel so clueless. Five years in and roughly 12 hours logged on Steam and I don't really feel like I need to do anything? I have a small number of Unhappy citizens but like nothing bad happens. And Rimworld world just felt a million times more accessible than this but by 40 hours there I felt like I had seen enough.

I did dig down to the caverns, but haven't started to explore it much. I don't really have a good understanding of how water works still and I'm afraid to dig in and flood my poo poo [for a second time]

Haven't seem to found any smeltable Ore, just fancy rocks. I feel like I've mined out a decent amount of land on various depths from like 15 - 35 :shrug: I have 1 Squad formed and they're poorly outfitted with whatever weapons the game starts you out with on your wagon, plus some Mussel Shell Helms, Leggings and Gauntlets.

Also I don't really understand why I often can't actively Trade for things when a Caravan comes to town either? I can load up my four million Mussel Shell Amulets, lol, but often times the Trade button isn't there / isn't clickable so I can't seem to buy Ore/Bars. Do I need to explicitly request it when a Diplomat talks to me? I've generally just been requesting Seeds to try and keep my Still fueled.

Lastly I do have a variety of Nobles assigned and Work Orders created / approved, they're all set to Repeat Daily but from what I can tell not a single one has been done. Like I've got Carpenter work stations and 2 Orders to make sure I've always got some Beds & Coffins made but every time Migrants come and I go to expand my Dorm / Graveyard, I need to go explicitly tell my Carpenter station to build a Bed & Casket.

:shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The ore isn't labeled ore. You just find stone types that happen to be ores. E.g. hematite is an iron ore.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Another thing is while interesting stuff happens eventually, it's more fun to create interesting situations yourself by doing dumb/cool poo poo.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Sab669 posted:

I don't know how you all have such exciting things going on, I feel so clueless. Five years in and roughly 12 hours logged on Steam and I don't really feel like I need to do anything? I have a small number of Unhappy citizens but like nothing bad happens. And Rimworld world just felt a million times more accessible than this but by 40 hours there I felt like I had seen enough.

I did dig down to the caverns, but haven't started to explore it much. I don't really have a good understanding of how water works still and I'm afraid to dig in and flood my poo poo [for a second time]

Haven't seem to found any smeltable Ore, just fancy rocks. I feel like I've mined out a decent amount of land on various depths from like 15 - 35 :shrug: I have 1 Squad formed and they're poorly outfitted with whatever weapons the game starts you out with on your wagon, plus some Mussel Shell Helms, Leggings and Gauntlets.

Also I don't really understand why I often can't actively Trade for things when a Caravan comes to town either? I can load up my four million Mussel Shell Amulets, lol, but often times the Trade button isn't there / isn't clickable so I can't seem to buy Ore/Bars. Do I need to explicitly request it when a Diplomat talks to me? I've generally just been requesting Seeds to try and keep my Still fueled.

Lastly I do have a variety of Nobles assigned and Work Orders created / approved, they're all set to Repeat Daily but from what I can tell not a single one has been done. Like I've got Carpenter work stations and 2 Orders to make sure I've always got some Beds & Coffins made but every time Migrants come and I go to expand my Dorm / Graveyard, I need to go explicitly tell my Carpenter station to build a Bed & Casket.

:shrug: :shrug: :shrug:
Did you click "trader requested at depot" when the caravan and stuff is there? Somebody has to do the trading.

Also do you have logs? Usually if my work orders stop its because I ran out of logs and didn't notice

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Does the manager have an office? At first they’ll work without one, but once you hit about two dozen dwarves the manager needs an office to function.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I actually quite like light aquifers. As mentioned they give you an option for fresh water without a brook/river or having to rely on underground lakes, and when you're used to dealing with them, they're not too much work.
Definitely annoying when you get a 15+ levels deep one though.

Speaking of, are underground rivers still a thing? Haven't seen one in as long as I can remember.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The ore isn't labeled ore. You just find stone types that happen to be ores. E.g. hematite is an iron ore.

Well that's supremely unintuitive. Time to fire up my furnaces then...

And yea I should have a good stock pile of Logs, but I guess I'll make sure to just have a dedicated lumber pile I can keep an eye on more closely. Manager does have a Study and all that, I think without one the Orders wouldn't get approved.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Well that's supremely unintuitive. Time to fire up my furnaces then...

And yea I should have a good stock pile of Logs, but I guess I'll make sure to just have a dedicated lumber pile I can keep an eye on more closely. Manager does have a Study and all that, I think without one the Orders wouldn't get approved.

Select an ore once it's been mined to see what it'll smelt in to, you'll pick up the various names and become an ammeter geologist and metallurgist like the rest of us.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sab669 posted:

You must flood your poo poo. It is inevitable. This is the nature of dwarf.

quote:

To smelt ore you need a smelter. You will also either need to burn bituminous coal and lignite to create fuel, or build a wood furnace to burn wood for charcoal fuel. Each smelt takes one unit of fuel. If you have magma, it's easier, but you'd probably die, so don't worry about that for now.

quote:

You have to move items to the trade depot to trade them. You also have to tell your Broker to go trade (there's a button; you can also say 'anyone can trade' if you're getting desperate). You should see two checklists. On left, their poo poo. On right, your poo poo. Make a deal. If it's in the green they will accept it. In the yellow, maybe, maybe they make a counter-offer. It's not a shop window, for better or worse.

You will have to grow seeds in dirt somewhere to get plants to brew. Just saying that, in Case. You can also gather fruits and plants if you're starving.

quote:

The stuff is probably stacking up in the work station. Alternately, you don't have loose wood or a wood stockpile for the carpenter to draw from. I will say, that by building coffins for every new arrival, you've got that Dwarf Fortress spirit, like it or not!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also if you want trouble you can just go ahead and send out raids to neighboring civs to make them mad at you. or dig more greedily and deeply, or embark in untamed wilds/evil locations/both. etc etc

DF is a game where you make your own fun. not always but a lot of the time

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Warbird posted:

Is the butchering button a bit hinky to click on for anyone else? I can’t tell if whatever trigger box they are using is weird or if the cross country RDP on VPN session I’m using to play tye game on my Mac isn’t transmitting clicks right. Doesn’t seem to be an issue anywhere else.

It's a bit buggy if you're fullscreened. Either window it and max the window size (it acts just like any other application), or set your UI to unscaled. What you're looking for is the little knife -- that's the one used for gelding.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I haven't played this game since... 2009? 2010? it's been awhile, so of course i had to buy the steam version and hop in blind.

The first winter i ran out booze and the only water source froze over, RIP half of my dwarves.
With the survivors I quickly try to get the brewery going and dig some wells before the ghosts drive them crazy.
Built a bunch of tombs and the fortress started to grow once again, and for a few years, things were good.

Then the weremarmots showed up. :smith:

My second go has been much smoother, no comical mishaps so far, even survived my first goblin siege!
oh yeah, this dweeb showed up and immediately got pummeled to death by troglodytes.

wyoming fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 15, 2022

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

what should i do with this volcano. i need floodgates that survive magma right? can i do something besides magma forges. maybe something about building a magma pit like a well for dumping trash not that i know what trash is

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

fountain

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Is it possible for moody dwarves to insist on a magma forge? I think I have all the moodable workshops, but I have a withdrawn darf that's just standing there. This is an extra problem because I just had half my fort slaugtered by random zombie animals, so I can't really afford to lose anybody else.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Do I... actually need a wood stockpile? Wood is easy for dwarves to carry around and it takes up a massive amount of space. Is there any reason beyond shorter travel trips to not just leave the wood where it falls outside?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Gnoman posted:

Is it possible for moody dwarves to insist on a magma forge? I think I have all the moodable workshops, but I have a withdrawn darf that's just standing there. This is an extra problem because I just had half my fort slaugtered by random zombie animals, so I can't really afford to lose anybody else.

If you have access to magma, yeah they can require it instead of a regular workshop.

johnny park posted:

Do I... actually need a wood stockpile? Wood is easy for dwarves to carry around and it takes up a massive amount of space. Is there any reason beyond shorter travel trips to not just leave the wood where it falls outside?

if you've got a bunch of dwarves standing around not doing anything, it doesn't hurt to make a big stockpile in your crafting areas then turn the stockpile off when it's full.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

johnny park posted:

So when you run out of wood during a goblin siege your dwarves aren't running out into the middle of the siege to grab a piece of wood.

You don't need a massive stockpile of wood I've found, most things can and probably should be made of rock which is more abundant. Just keep a dedicated wood only stock pile tucked away somewhere and when I notice it running low I designate a tree or two to get chopped down.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Anyone have any world generation tips to get bigger more open cavern layers? I want to make a whole cavern town, but even when I up the "openness" I'm still getting mostly thin cave layers with fussy little networks of 1 tile mazes. I want massive 20 z level thick underground expanses and stuff like that.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Try reducing the max passage density to make them more open horizontally. I’m not sure if there is much you can do to control cavern height however.

IronicDongz posted:

or embark in untamed wilds/evil locations/both.

I’d like to but that wolf howl is getting annoying but I don’t want to completely disable ambient volume.

Do marshes have the howling? I’ve been avoiding marshes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Super No Vacancy posted:

what should i do with this volcano. i need floodgates that survive magma right? can i do something besides magma forges. maybe something about building a magma pit like a well for dumping trash not that i know what trash is
If you work with channels and are careful you don't need floodgates, you can carve out channels beneath your intended forge floor and then do one last channel to let the magma in. With caution it's safe; at worst you'll lose one miner.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

johnny park posted:

well, raids and sieges tend to happen outside and you don't want your legendary carpenter / smith / whatever running outside to grab raw materials or fuel only to get got by a goblin

similarly the dwarf assigned to craft something always goes to grab the materials themselves, there's no delegation there, so when you're crafting in bulk a distant stockpile (or no stockpile) slows the process down considerably

Takuan
May 6, 2007

If I have an outside pasture, and build a roofed off section of it will animals go under there when it rains or will they just stand out in the rain and be mad about it?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nessus posted:

at worst you'll lose one miner.

The angel’s share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

On the topic of moody dwarves: if you ever get a Secretive or Possessed dwarf that demands "stacked cloth" or "cloth... thread" respectively, the requirement will be specific to plant, yarn or silk, though the message won't indicate the type. So make sure you have stocks of each type available.