Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
I also like Blues In Orbit. It's the space age, baby, and The Duke is ready for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM-J3c19bck

Wilbur Swain fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Mingus could write Take The A Train but Ellington couldn't write Fables of Faubus.

But seriously, Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus which is a studio album where Mingus talks to a non existent audience and sings songs about Governor Faubus not permitting integrated schools.

Also the amazingly titled "All The Things You Could Be By Now If Sigmund Freud's Wife Was Your Mother"

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Anyone have any opinions about where I should start with Bonnie Raitt? Nick of Time, or something that shows a different side of her range?

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

ExecuDork posted:

Anyone have any opinions about where I should start with Bonnie Raitt? Nick of Time, or something that shows a different side of her range?

This might be more personal preference but I think her debut is great. My mom was a fan of hers in the 70s and listened to her newer stuff that was a hit at the time when I was a kid and I never really took her as seriously until I realized where she came from. The rawness of the debut recording but it still shows all her strengths and talent. Recorded without overdubs so it has a more spontaneous and live and blues music to me always benefits from that instead of being polished and clean.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Fors Yard posted:

This might be more personal preference but I think her debut is great. My mom was a fan of hers in the 70s and listened to her newer stuff that was a hit at the time when I was a kid and I never really took her as seriously until I realized where she came from. The rawness of the debut recording but it still shows all her strengths and talent. Recorded without overdubs so it has a more spontaneous and live and blues music to me always benefits from that instead of being polished and clean.

I think that’s a good call. Give It Up is worth a listen too

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

owl_pellet posted:

I've been trying to listen to more jazz lately. I've found that I like music that is focused on the piano, saxophone, and/or drums, so I've listened to things by Duke Ellington, John Coltrane, and Buddy Rich. What are the key albums by these artists? Where should I branch out to from there based on the artists I listed? I know "jazz" is a huge subject but any direction would be appreciated.

Check out Art Tatum if you dig piano heavy jazz.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
time to put this thread to the test...

The Church?

Starfish seems to be the obvious starting point since it has the only two hits I know, but I would love it if a goon who is familiar with them to describe the progression of their sound and point out other highlights. They have quite a catalog!

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I can take a stab at it ...

For the studio albums:

The early material pre Starfish is definitely playing around in some jangly pop and 60's psychedelia. The first three records all have some classics in their own right though, with tracks like "The Unguarded Moment", "Almost With You", and "Electric Lash" as early singles and staples in live sets. Heyday is the album just before Starfish and the paisley shirts on the cover should tell you all you need to know. Heyday is probably my low key second favorite and has a most excellent Side One/Track One with "myrrh." Definitely worth checking out if you like what you hear on Starfish

After Starfish it might get hit or miss for you. Gold Afternoon Fix is a weird one. The drummer bailed and some of the songs definitely take a darker tone. Still, it's got another killer side one track one with "pharoah" and "Metropolis" was an alt-radio single for a hot minute. "Are You Still Beautiful?", "Laughing" an album closer "Grind" are worth hearing.

After Gold Afternoon Fix we get Priest=Aura and if you don't pay attention to anything else in this low effort post give this album a listen. For me, this is the absolute apex for this band. It's all slightly lower peaks and valleys from this point forward. It's a monster of a record and everything just slays. This is a HEAVY drug use record and it shows. It's textured, gorgeous, and sadly didn't do much in terms of sales. "Ripple" was an MTV 120 Minutes play for a hot second but that's about it. "Lustre" from this album is easily in my top three Church songs.

The follow up, Sometime Anywhere had the original guitarist (Koppes) leave and the band was just Marty Wilson-Piper and Steve Kilbey. It's a weird album. There are a few great songs, but there's also straight up "gently caress it I'm just gonna mess around in the studio" things like "Angelica." Some solid deep cuts ("My Little Problem", and "Two Places at Once"but easily the album I listen to the least of the early material.

Magician Among the Spirits sounds like a band that might be releasing their last record. I think their label status was unknown and Wilson-PIper and Kilbey were in a weird head space anyway. It has some good stuff. Opener "Welcome" is slick and the droney meditative title track is definitely worth your time. However, the album comes off as disjointed as a whole for me.

Hologram of Baal rounds out the 90's. They fall into a familiar groove here that they keep to this day. The bonus disc for this had Bastard Universe which is really fun if you're into hearing the band do improvisational studio jams for about 80 minutes.

From the aughts onward, After Everything Now This, Uninvited, Like the Clouds, and Untitled #23 could be worth checking out if you're still into exploration.

Compilations, et al
There are a few things here that might pique your interest as well.

El Momento Descuidado compiles acoustic versions of older songs including the obvious hit from Starfish and four new songs.
A Box of Birds is the obligatory covers album, closing with a scorching "Cortez the Killer."
A Psychedelic Symphony: Live at Sydney Opera House, is from 2014 and is the band playing songs spanning their career backed by orchestra. Really good.
Hindsight is a compilation of the early material. Probably hard to find now and I regret buying it on vinyl when I used to see it in record stores.
Under the Milky Way: The Best of the Church is your bog-standard low effort "gently caress crawling through this discography" compilation.

Stupid Anecdote:
When I was a junior in high school in the late 80's I did what ever nerdy kid would do with a home computer, play around on BBSes. I traded a dub of Louder than Bombs for a dub of Gold Afternoon Fix with this dude through the mail. I had never heard of this band and thought I was super duper in the know for playing "Metropolis" for my friends. A girl in English class then shut me down when she played "Under the Milky Way" for me and it was all over.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 3, 2022

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I don't know anything from Björk except for "Army of Me". Where do I start?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The three 90s records: Debut, Post, Homogenic.

She's never really done a bad album, but she has gotten more esoteric over time, so into the 00s and later it gets weirder. She's one where it's reasonable to go chronologically.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I like Vespertine the best

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

BigFactory posted:

I like Vespertine the best

This.

I also think you can skip début and just go post, homogenic and then vespertine.

Début is great but definitely sounds the most “of its time” to me of her albums whereas post, homogenic and vespertine are all totally unique to each other and everything else in the world, then and now.

Edit: I’m waiting in a bank so I guess I can say a little more.

Post: this is an all over the place album, like a beastie boys album, in the best ways. Every song will sound different from the last. Army of me is the opener for what it’s worth. Hyperballad might be her most quintessential “bjork” song.

Homogenic: much more focused, this is an “album” album. Lots of natural instruments (specifically strings) mixed in. Maybe her most critically acclaimed, it is singular in sound. Unravel is an utterly devastating deep cut (to the extent she has deep cuts)

Vespertine: her headphones album. Full of micro beats and cold chilly songs about hot sex. A lot of 2000s music took influence from the sound (postal service is the first thing that comes to mind). My favorite of her albums. aurora is arguably my favorite song of the century.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 5, 2022

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery
I'd recommend not skipping the album with "Human Behaviour" and "Venus As A Boy" on it, actually

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

vespertine is fantastic, but I still would say listen to it fourth

i can't imagine getting through homogenic and being like "okay I'm done now" and not going to the next one, but i am just talking about the starting place.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

hexwren posted:

vespertine is fantastic, but I still would say listen to it fourth

i can't imagine getting through homogenic and being like "okay I'm done now" and not going to the next one, but i am just talking about the starting place.

I think if you wanted to you could stop after Vespertine, though. Selmasongs is very good I think, and I like Medulla better now than I did when it came out, but I think Vespertine was a high mark.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Id at least give Vulnicura a listen after vespertine. It’s probably my second or third favorite of her albums.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 6, 2022

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Voodoofly posted:

Id at least give Vulnicura a listen after vespertine. It’s probably my second or third favorite of her albums.

I didn’t even know that one existed so that’s cool thank you. I thought she retired at some point and stopped paying attention I guess.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
You should also check out the Sugar cubes, her band before she went solo. The first album is definitely a classic, the second and third have some really good things on it.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Voodoofly posted:

Yeah I think Vulnicura is my favorite of hers. It’s the breakup album of the relationship that Vespertine was about the beginning of. It’s a downer but beautiful.

Utopia has a lot of good moments at least check the first three tracks. Medulla - Volta - Biophilia are not that interesting to me but are fine. Vulnicura and Utopia she worked with Arca which breathed a new life in her sound.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Fors Yard posted:

Yeah I think Vulnicura is my favorite of hers. It’s the breakup album of the relationship that Vespertine was about the beginning of. It’s a downer but beautiful.

Utopia has a lot of good moments at least check the first three tracks. Medulla - Volta - Biophilia are not that interesting to me but are fine. Vulnicura and Utopia she worked with Arca which breathed a new life in her sound.

I enjoyed Vulnicura and it’s a good listen. Might take another couple but I guess I liked the production more than the songs for the first impression.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

hatelull posted:

effortpost

thank you very much for this :worship:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

hexwren posted:

The three 90s records: Debut, Post, Homogenic.

She's never really done a bad album, but she has gotten more esoteric over time, so into the 00s and later it gets weirder. She's one where it's reasonable to go chronologically.

Agreed. I put off her discography for a while, and going chronologically has been awesome.

Plus one vote for the original Sugarcubes album. "Birthday" is a classic.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Scott Walker? I really enjoy the album Nite Flight by the Walker Brothers, but that's all I know.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

Scott Walker? I really enjoy the album Nite Flight by the Walker Brothers, but that's all I know.

Scott 1-4 chronologically to see him go from Baroque Pop to avant garde. Plus Scott 1 and 2 are perfect albums.

Then you can just do Tilt and onwards for his avant garde stuff.

The movie 30 Century Man rules, if you want to learn about him more.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Personally I would start with tilt / drift otherwise agree

DJ Moxley
Aug 29, 2022
I'm a bit familiar with Electric Light Orchestra, but I'm not too sure where to start when listening to their albums. What ones do you goons recommend?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DJ Moxley posted:

I'm a bit familiar with Electric Light Orchestra, but I'm not too sure where to start when listening to their albums. What ones do you goons recommend?

A New World Record
Face the Music
Out of the Blue
Eldorado

In that order. Then you can listen to the other albums from the 70s or dig into their 80's albums. The four I named is their quitessential run, slightly out of order.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
While Xanadu the film is bad, it does have a great soundtrack which they did a lot of (as well as with Olivia Newton-John, may she rest in peace), I'd say that's worth checking out

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Make sure to throw in Message From the Country by the Move into that list as well, because it is essentially an ELO album from when they were transitioning into ELO. And the singles from that period are killer.

https://youtu.be/keWOr4y1SaU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Porcupine Tree?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

In Absentia probably gives you the best overall scope of their sound, but you can't fo wrong with anything from Lightbulb Sun through Fear of a Blank Planet.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Their live DVD (I believe the version that's currently in print is a Blu-Ray with a CD) Arriving Somewhere basically functions as a greatest hits compilation. It was released right after Deadwing (one of my favorite albums of theirs), so it has several tracks from that one as well as tracks from In Absentia, Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun. It's really loving good, and every time I revisit it, I'm blown away by it.

Only downside is that it came out the year before Fear of a Blank Planet, so it doesn't have any tracks from that one. That's an incredible album.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I asked about Porcupine Tree pre-SA and was told that In Absentia was their most accessible album but Fear of a Blank Planet was their best. I never really dug much beyond that.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Where do I start with Grandmaster Flash?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I really love the Super Furry Animals remix of the FC Kahuna track Hayling and was wondering where to start with SFA if I want more of that gonzo, chaotic vibe.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

regulargonzalez posted:

I really love the Super Furry Animals remix of the FC Kahuna track Hayling and was wondering where to start with SFA if I want more of that gonzo, chaotic vibe.

I think Rings Around the World is a great entry point for peak Super Furry Animals. It runs the gauntlet of psychedelic pop songs and utter chaos. Phantom Power is the follow up and should not be missed if you enjoy what you hear on Rings Around the World.

From there I suggest either jumping forward to Dark Days/Light Years (the last album before their hiatus and the last studio offering they released), or regressing back to Radiator to get a feel of their earlier material. If you want more of a rawk power pop sound, check out Mwng (the album entirely in Welsh) or Hey Venus!

A favorite SFA song for me, just for kicks ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdJWncmFQ9Q

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

hatelull posted:

I think Rings Around the World is a great entry point for peak Super Furry Animals. It runs the gauntlet of psychedelic pop songs and utter chaos. Phantom Power is the follow up and should not be missed if you enjoy what you hear on Rings Around the World.

From there I suggest either jumping forward to Dark Days/Light Years (the last album before their hiatus and the last studio offering they released), or regressing back to Radiator to get a feel of their earlier material. If you want more of a rawk power pop sound, check out Mwng (the album entirely in Welsh) or Hey Venus!

Nothing really to add but I'd say this is spot on.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

hatelull posted:

Rings Around the World is arguably the band's worst album (tied with Love Kraft), so I can't recommend it as a starting point. In order of release:

Fuzzy Logic - raw, skuzzy, power pop.
Radiator - more refined, still skuzzy, still power pop. A good point to dip your toe in.
Guerrilla - more of an electronica vibe, but still very good. I'm biased, since this album was my first of theirs.
Mwng - barely-produced psychedelic indie rock.
Rings Around the World - lots of polish, not enough sharp edges. A big budget mess.
Phantom Power - power pop, expertly done. Another excellent dipping-in point.
Love Kraft - 2 great songs, 2 more good songs and a bunch of crap.
Hey Venus! - lean production, very good songs.
Dark Days/Light Years - a buffet spread, but a really good buffet.

Thinking about it I'd probably suggest Dark Days/Light Years to see if you like the band. If you like the skuzzier stuff, head back to Radiator; if you like the poppier stuff, head to Phantom Power.
If you don't like anything, then just stop consuming music, you f

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

kingturnip posted:

Rings Around the World is arguably the band's worst album
Key word is "arguably", I don't know many people who would agree with you there lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

kingturnip posted:

Rings Around the World is arguably the band's worst album (tied with Love Kraft), so I can't recommend it as a starting point. In order of release:

Wild take.