Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

more like carvid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Everyone loves cars and hates streetcars, that's why those trolleys are gone now. I understand now. *ignores massive political influence by the richest corporations in world to influence every level of government to promote cars at the detriment of everything else*

A loving misdemeanor!? The cop loses his driver license for only a year. I also love the snipe at the victim at the end of the article, "Short who had been heavily drinking in a South End bar earlier that night, had a blood-alcohol level of more than three times the legal limit at the time of his death." If he was sober, he could dodge cars going over 100 mph on a city street.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Everyone loves cars and hates streetcars, that's why those trolleys are gone now. I understand now. *ignores massive political influence by the richest corporations in world to influence every level of government to promote cars at the detriment of everything else*

A loving misdemeanor!? The cop loses his driver license for only a year. I also love the snipe at the victim at the end of the article, "Short who had been heavily drinking in a South End bar earlier that night, had a blood-alcohol level of more than three times the legal limit at the time of his death." If he was sober, he could dodge cars going over 100 mph on a city street.

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2016/05/18/ontario-man-killed-by-vehicle-outside-pittsburgh-strip-club/

quote:

Ontario man killed by vehicle outside Pittsburgh strip club

By The Associated Press

Posted May 18, 2016, 10:20AM EDT.\

PITTSBURGH, Pa. – Pittsburgh police say a Canadian man has died after being hit by a car as he left a downtown strip club.

Police and the Allegheny County medical examiner did not immediately release the victim’s name, but say he was a 42-year-old from Ontario.

They say he was crossing 9th Street outside the Blush Gentlemen’s Club about 2:30 a.m. Wednesday when he was hit by the vehicle.

Police say the man wasn’t using a crosswalk and was in the middle of the block when he was hit.

Police could be seen towing a car with a damaged windshield from the scene.

It wasn’t immediately clear whether the 26-year-old driver of the car will be cited or face charges.

He stayed at the scene and co-operated with police.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

e: ignore me

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

https://hellgatenyc.com/bqe-congestion-add-more-lanes

It's never too late to keep doubling down on Robert Moses' horrible choices.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Look, the government is incapable of stuff like this, and anyway people don't base their life decisions around government policy, which is why you hardly ever hear anybody say their investment, career, voting, or life decisions were made after factoring in tax implications in some way.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Epic High Five posted:

Look, the government is incapable of stuff like this, and anyway people don't base their life decisions around government policy, which is why you hardly ever hear anybody say their investment, career, voting, or life decisions were made after factoring in tax implications in some way.

you guys have some weird ideas

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Gabagool
Jul 20, 2020

https://twitter.com/GovPritzker/status/1603086130039103490

i loving hate cars!!!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

wow! wider sidewalks! i bet its very pleasant to walk around that thing.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Thousands of jobs created and then eliminated when we were done building it

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
This additional car infrastructure will most definitely reduce greenhouse gas emissions!

Ham Equity has issued a correction as of 23:51 on Dec 14, 2022

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jaxyon posted:

Thousands of jobs created and then eliminated when we were done building it

Thats how da union works, pal.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

glad they are fixing this blight, where's the after picture?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

well that was fun. coming home from picking up mod pizza when I see a car coming up behind me WAY too fast, missed my bumper by ~3 inches when he swerved into the turn lane, followed immediately by 6 cop cars with lights on. over the next minute 7 more went by, then I saw them all stopped about a half mile ahead. dude hit someone else in the oncoming lanes, went off the road, down an embankment and right into a tree. that really would have sucked to get rear ended by some idiot going 80

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ham Equity posted:

This additional car infrastructure will most definitely reduce greenhouse gas emissions!
It's very simple. Building this huge monstrosity clearly did not directly cause any greenhouse gas emissions and the number of cars will be the same but there will be less traffic, so there will be less pollution from cars being stuck in traffic. This has been scientifically validated with (checks notes) every other car infrastructure project ever and is in no way suspect.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Spergin Morlock posted:

well that was fun. coming home from picking up mod pizza when I see a car coming up behind me WAY too fast, missed my bumper by ~3 inches when he swerved into the turn lane, followed immediately by 6 cop cars with lights on. over the next minute 7 more went by, then I saw them all stopped about a half mile ahead. dude hit someone else in the oncoming lanes, went off the road, down an embankment and right into a tree. that really would have sucked to get rear ended by some idiot going 80
for a mod pizza, at that. glad you survived.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The lesson here is to take public safety seriously and go to Domino's instead.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

for a mod pizza, at that. glad you survived.

seriously. i'm still in shock that the guy didn't hit me. when I saw him coming up in the rear view mirror all I could think was "oh gently caress..."

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

huge, ugly poo poo being marketed as an urban vehicle

trip hazard cable spooled all over the pavement even in the advert

gently caress cars, but this one in particular

e: its claim to being suited to urban environments is because you can stand on it????

Horace has issued a correction as of 01:09 on Dec 15, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

Horace posted:

e: its claim to being suited to urban environments is because you can stand on it????
Is that one of those cars that's modded to be like a tank by companies that specialize in that or is it a normal car that some car company is now selling?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
love to have a perfectly vertical windshield

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

mystes posted:

Is that one of those cars that's modded to be like a tank by companies that specialize in that or is it a normal car that some car company is now selling?

it's some bullshit citroën dreamed up. they've been emboldened by the success of the Ami, so there's going to be a lot more deranged plastic EVs from them

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

okay so there was hochul and now there's pritzker; does anyone else have any recent tweets from dem governors or mayors bragging about the environmental benefits of some sort of hell-interchange

NoU
Dec 31, 2008

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

okay so there was hochul and now there's pritzker; does anyone else have any recent tweets from dem governors or mayors bragging about the environmental benefits of some sort of hell-interchange

pretty sure i saw some tweet touting the $7.5b replacement/retrofitted bridge between OR and WA as being climate friendly but i can't find it

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Max 20 mm A pillars
KILL EM ALL
I am lycra man
410,757,864,530 DEAD DRIVERS

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Horace posted:

that bike is comically large for that man. this whole scene gives off bland circus vibes

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Don't be a loving moron, greg12 is explicitly saying that people live where they do in the US because it's what they want to do, not because of government policy. He implies that the belief that government policy can influence society is conspiratorial thinking.

My name isn't greg, so in the prior post where he called me greg I was like, "wow what a dummy, I will check that other thread next to see what this dumb guy greg is saying."

But yeah, the cool new thing where I am is to call every road widening project a Complete Streets project by adding a lovely 3- or 4-foot bike lane, where that width is measured to the wall of the curb and includes the gutter.

"It's not a demand-inducing capacity project! It's an active transportation project! Don't you like bike lanes? Don't look at the part where we're adding two through lanes for cars. Just please give us the money from the active transportation program budget."

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Horace posted:

i could not tell the front from the back on that thing and honestly im still not sure.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Suplex Liberace posted:

i could not tell the front from the back on that thing and honestly im still not sure.
Holy poo poo, she's charging it at the front. I definitely thought that was the back until you said something.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Citroen's thing has always been looking weird for no reason at all

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

One thing that I just thought about with all of those pictures of guys standing next to trucks that go up to their shoulders and they say something like "I'm 6 foot tall this is ridiculous"

How do we know that they are being honest about their height? Couldn't they just be short. What if he's just 3'8 but looks tall? And the truck just barely comes up to his shoulders, isn't that fine at that.point? Just don't cross the street if you're shorter than 4' tall?

E: part of the inflation reduction act should have been installing amusement park style "you must be this tall to cross here" height measurement stations at crosswalks around the country

TeenageArchipelago has issued a correction as of 19:58 on Dec 15, 2022

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm Warwick Davis and welcome to Jackass.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

ah christ

https://twitter.com/HarryHamishGray/status/1603784031165988864

so much "cycling infrastructure" is just car infrastructure scaled down a bit

mystes
May 31, 2006

Horace posted:

ah christ

https://twitter.com/HarryHamishGray/status/1603784031165988864

so much "cycling infrastructure" is just car infrastructure scaled down a bit
I don't think a cycling roundabout is necessarily a bad idea if there's somehow enough traffic there to merit it

That said 1) there probably isn't and 2) I don't think it needs a raised center and the markings are pretty loving ugly. They should probably just have some indication that you're supposed to follow the rules for roundabouts or something.

mystes has issued a correction as of 21:24 on Dec 16, 2022

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mystes posted:

I don't think a cycling roundabout is necessarily a bad idea if there's somehow enough traffic there to merit it

The markings are pretty loving ugly though

my old college had a cycling roundabout near the quad (cars were forbidden and it's the premiere-bike heavy college) and it was a ritual that every fall everyone would sit in the middle to watch the new wave of freshman of doughy suburbanites who never used a bike before end up crashing in it or unable to navigate iot

mystes
May 31, 2006

Xaris posted:

my old college had a cycling roundabout near the quad (cars were forbidden and it's the premiere-bike heavy college) and it was a ritual that every fall everyone would sit in the middle to watch the new wave of freshman of doughy suburbanites who never used a bike before end up crashing in it or unable to navigate iot
i edited my post to say this at the same time you wrote this response but I do think it shouldn't have a raised center or anything physical like that.

However, I think saying that an intersection between multiple bike routes should be treated as a roundabout is in itself okay and not inherently car brained or something.

whether it's really necessary virtually anywhere idk

mystes has issued a correction as of 21:28 on Dec 16, 2022

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Unpopular opinion: roundabouts suck in general.

But if you want a cyclist to respect it, you definitely need to block the middle somehow. We are not the types to needlessly go round if straight is an option.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I actually do kind of hate car roundabouts. That said, a lot of them in the US are just amazingly pedestrian/bike hostile so I'm willing to reserve judgment to some degree until I can try one in another country that sucks less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mystes posted:

whether it's really necessary virtually anywhere idk
yeah it was pretty necessary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0QDBZXL6V4