Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Nessus posted:

If you work with channels and are careful you don't need floodgates, you can carve out channels beneath your intended forge floor and then do one last channel to let the magma in. With caution it's safe; at worst you'll lose one miner.

huh like have the magma tunnel back into the volcano so it doesnt flood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Takuan posted:

If I have an outside pasture, and build a roofed off section of it will animals go under there when it rains or will they just stand out in the rain and be mad about it?
I seriously doubt they're smart enough for that, but I also don't really know if there's any practical downside to farm animals having bad thoughts

you might as well make the roof bigger though, presumably with a support or two(no idea how far out you can build upsupported roofs)

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Anyone have any world generation tips to get bigger more open cavern layers? I want to make a whole cavern town, but even when I up the "openness" I'm still getting mostly thin cave layers with fussy little networks of 1 tile mazes. I want massive 20 z level thick underground expanses and stuff like that.

I'll have to look at my settings later but I turn openness to a minimum of 85 and ...passage density? To a maximum of 15. Gets me nice open caverns without a mess of 1-2 tile ramps everywhere.

IronicDongz posted:

I seriously doubt they're smart enough for that, but I also don't really know if there's any practical downside to farm animals having bad thoughts

you might as well make the roof bigger though, presumably with a support or two(no idea how far out you can build upsupported roofs)

Pretty sure you can build a wall around the entirety of the map, z levels and all, that's supported by one connected tile to the floor.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Super No Vacancy posted:

huh like have the magma tunnel back into the volcano so it doesnt flood?
With volcanoes it won't rise above its natural z-level unless you've pumped it some how, at least in my experience.

So let's say you have a volcano and the magma is at z-level 10.

You open up a space adjacent to the volcano on Z-level 11.

You channel down some holes for your forges and smelters. These holes are on Z-level 10.

You link those holes and you cut a space adjacent to the magma on Z-level 10 - you will get a warning of Warm Stone, most likely, which is where you want to stop. You don't mine through on Z-level 10.

You dig out one space over on Z-level 11, and you channel it out. I always do it diagonally out of superstition but it doesn't matter. But making a channel from Z-level 11 is safe - the magma won't pour onto your guy.

The magma will flow into your channels after the channel job is complete. Give it enough time to actually fill the 'pipes' and then build your forges, and enjoy the General Products E-Z Magma Force lifestyle.

Some illustrations that may clarify this:

Nessus fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 15, 2022

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Is there a good explanation of channels anywhere? I still get confused every time I try to figure exactly what's actually being dug with each digging option.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Do marshes have the howling? I’ve been avoiding marshes.

No, but they have gurgling water, crickets and frogs.

My 1st cavern level was a z-level mess of narrow passages and hardly any open areas. The 2nd one had some small caverns, while the 3rd layer is like a warehouse with 1 or 2 z level ceilings. It's awesome. That's all with stock cavern settings.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

quiggy posted:

Is there a good explanation of channels anywhere? I still get confused every time I try to figure exactly what's actually being dug with each digging option.

think of DF tiles along the Z axis as being an endless pattern of

surface
space
surface
space
surface
space

surfaces are what you stand on, spaces are what you actually occupy

normal digging clears a space (implicitly leaving a floor and roof)
channeling clears a space, the surface below it, and the space below that

e: also in more recent versions they automatically create ramps in the lower space in a semi-intelligent fashion. this is basically an ugly hack to prevent cave-ins and save the player having to channel things in concentric circles to avoid them

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 15, 2022

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
What's the best way to get marksdwarves to actually stand and fire on an enemy instead of immediately running over to hit them over the head with their crossbow?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Well that's supremely unintuitive. Time to fire up my furnaces then...

I guess if you don't know the minerals at all but that's how metal and ore mining and refining works in general. take a shitload of certain rocks, crush em, melt em down, keep the metal bits. Then again, come to think of it, the main reason I know as many minerals as I do is from playing DF a decade ago.

quiggy posted:

they remove the floor of the level you're on, then also dig a ramp to the floor below

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Broken Cog posted:

What's the best way to get marksdwarves to actually stand and fire on an enemy instead of immediately running over to hit them over the head with their crossbow?

give them ammo

e: by default i think dwarves will only use wooden and bone bolts for practice and only metal bolts for combat. there may or may not be a setting somewhere to change this behavior and if there is i have no idea where it is in the graphical version

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 15, 2022

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Marksdwarves seem to be very broken right now, I was never able to get them to actually pick up bolts so I gave up and turned them into axedwarves.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

quiggy posted:

quote:

Digging moves horizontally, removing the block and leaving the floor(s) alone.
Channeling removes the floor and turns the block below into a ramp leading down to the level below.

From the Polygon guide, but that graphic covers it well.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Regular mining, O is the mined part and X is the z-level below.

OOOOO
XXXXX

When you channel one square:

OOOOO
XXOXX

It can be hard to visualize since the game is top down, not side by side. In this example, you mine a z-level, and also mine the tile below that in the next z-level.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Pretty sure you can build a wall around the entirety of the map, z levels and all, that's supported by one connected tile to the floor.

The dwarves are very good engineers.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Rad, ty all

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Considering moving my whole fortress deeper since a lot of the top level is dirt and flooring it all will be a pain.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Popete posted:

Marksdwarves seem to be very broken right now, I was never able to get them to actually pick up bolts so I gave up and turned them into axedwarves.

i just leave a craft workshop on make bone bolts 24/7. still run out sometimes lol but not as often

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

give them ammo

e: by default i think dwarves will only use wooden and bone bolts for practice and only metal bolts for combat. there may or may not be a setting somewhere to change this behavior and if there is i have no idea where it is in the graphical version

I can assure you, they have plenty of ammo. It feels like the only time they actually try to fire at an enemy is if there's actually no direct path to them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I'm starting a new map on a volcano. It's a lovely place with a river too!

I've never messed with lava though. I don't want to build my base at the top of the volcano, I want to dig into the side and then tap it like a keg and channel lava to my forge areas. My confusion is how the lava-pressure will work in that case. If the lava reservoir in the volcano goes from say z0 to z30 and I build my base at z0 and install a floodgate and channel, will the lava be under pressure and want to fill my base up, or will it stay at z0 ?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Nessus posted:

With volcanoes it won't rise above its natural z-level unless you've pumped it some how, at least in my experience.

So let's say you have a volcano and the magma is at z-level 10.

You open up a space adjacent to the volcano on Z-level 11.

You channel down some holes for your forges and smelters. These holes are on Z-level 10.

You link those holes and you cut a space adjacent to the magma on Z-level 10 - you will get a warning of Warm Stone, most likely, which is where you want to stop. You don't mine through on Z-level 10.

You dig out one space over on Z-level 11, and you channel it out. I always do it diagonally out of superstition but it doesn't matter. But making a channel from Z-level 11 is safe - the magma won't pour onto your guy.

The magma will flow into your channels after the channel job is complete. Give it enough time to actually fill the 'pipes' and then build your forges, and enjoy the General Products E-Z Magma Force lifestyle.

Some illustrations that may clarify this:

thanks! guy above me i think the answer is right here

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Magma pressure works differently from water pressure. If you channel into magma it will only fill up to the level that you channeled it at. This is because magma will not rise past vertical obstacles, unless you pressurize it with a pump.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Had my install on a USB stick so I could move my save around and play in work. Had one of those really busy sessions where you play like a single season but you keep pausing and queuing stuff up and got loads done. Finally set up rooms for my Duke, a real burial chamber for everyone, housing for about 20 dwarfs, set up 3 guilds, expanded my smiting and closed off the whole Fort with a small area for trading on and island in the mote. And then I crashed the game opening the main menu and lost two hours because I only hit one autosave during the whole time.

Got back in the Horse, reset a big chunk of what I'd had set up and then went to save and crashed it again :negative:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yooper posted:

From the Polygon guide, but that graphic covers it well.

So like hypothetically if you want to dig 5 levels down, do you actually need to put each Channel either 1 X or 1 Y coordinate over from the level above it? Or can you just go straight down?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Sab669 posted:

So like hypothetically if you want to dig 5 levels down, do you actually need to put each Channel either 1 X or 1 Y coordinate over from the level above it? Or can you just go straight down?

Channeling straight down will make a shaft, leaving only a ramp on the bottom level without any way for the miner to get out. If you want to make a sloping path, you'll need to offset it every level.

If a shaft/well/etc is your goal, then yes by all means.

Aaaaand poo poo, the Human Merchant managed to fall into the intake for my underground river, fell the 19 z-levels down and went el splat. Guess I won't be trading with them any more. I had wall grates there to stop just that from happening! :argh:

Arrath fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 15, 2022

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sab669 posted:

If you want to dig like a pit straight down you can just do that, but you won't be able to get back up because it will be a 5 deep pit with a single ramp at the bottom.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

So far I've just been nuking the archery range zone when I want them to have good bolts on hand, and making a new one when I want to make some wood bolts and have them train.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What's the best to handle a Forgotten Beast Roc? Following it on the map it flies up and down really fast and swoops in for kills and goes right back to flying. I'm thinking maybe I make a mess of iron crossbows, buncha bolts, make a new squad of all marksdwarves and just send em outside to fight it? My fortress entrance is a 2x2 stair case, but with 2tile hallway and two doors before it. I've got my dwarves inside and in the burrow presently, and either the Roc can't get in a single unlocked door or otherwise is uninterested in coming underground to harass us. I can just surrender the surface world for now, i live in the caverns so plenty of water/food/fish and even on lockdown got enough stock to last a while. but i think i'd like to kill it and also, can you capture it? i think luring it into my base/caverns would make it way easier to fight.

Alternatively, from underground I could maybe dig up a new surface path, then quickly construct a little archery tower, carve fortifications into it, have it go quite high up, and be able to shoot it anytime it approaches?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

resistentialism posted:

So far I've just been nuking the archery range zone when I want them to have good bolts on hand, and making a new one when I want to make some wood bolts and have them train.

i cant seem to get miner to use archery range

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
a place with fortifications would definitely be the safest, though depending on where it normally goes it might take a while.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
Someone, or something, is stealing all my corpses :ohdear:

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Is there something I should be doing with the 100+ mussel shells that my one fisherdwarf has produced?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

somepartsareme posted:

Is there something I should be doing with the 100+ mussel shells that my one fisherdwarf has produced?

Crafts workshop -> shell -> decorate with shell (repeat)

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

junan_paalla posted:

I was wondering why none of the caravans had any literature, but my world is only 50 years old so obviously there aren't that many great works made yet. My scholars have been studying and copying a scroll called "The Possibilities Of Kosoth Stockadelungs", authored by the man himself, that concerns his career change from animal dissector to gem cutter right before my fort was settled. After years of study, one of my dwarves has come up with a new title, "Commentary On The Murky Tower", that concerns a masterful rope reed right mitten created in my fort. The library must be my favorite zone so far.

Same here. I just started producing quires and copper scroll rollers and before I knew it I had nearly 100 writings on everything from levers to socks. It's also where I put all my artifacts now. I have one scholar and one scribe and I just picked the at random from idle dorfs. In fact my entire medical team was just selected at random - I figure let them learn on the job - and they seem to have picked up the slack pretty well now ... after we lost a few on the tables of course.

What all does turning temperature off do? I've heard it can be behind the slowdown, and although my PC is no slouch once my fortress gets big enough I feel it in the UI responsiveness, which I can't stand. What do you lose when it's off?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That's what I need to do is create a massive library hall with tall ceilings. I love the idea of dwarves/whomever writing books/scrolls that persist in the world.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Super No Vacancy posted:

thanks! guy above me i think the answer is right here
Indeed.

One thing to keep in mind is that you can have your shop floor and a bar/block stockpile up 20 z-levels or some poo poo and it's fine because dwarfs will just take the stairs. It's the same as if it were a mere 20 squares away horizontally. So you could have your magma forge well isolated from your main fort, which is on Z-level 20-25, and then have your forgeworks on z-level 51-52. No sweat.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
My fort is going too well, the queen moved in...

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Arrath posted:

Crafts workshop -> shell -> decorate with shell (repeat)

Be aware that this makes it so you can't sell the crafts to elves.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
My current fort is the first one I've made any real progress on and I was able to get through a light aquifer just by tricky channeling. How do I actually use the water to my advantage though? There's no river here.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Take my rear end to Vegas.

E: Sometimes it's better to let an aquifer leak, if you're making lots of space below it. Build your stairs around where you penetrated the aquifer, and then build a small pool at the bottom you can form into a well, or let it soak the ground if you still have dirt layers for farm irrigation. Even if it's only a little bit of water dripping, it'll give all of your dwarves happy thoughts about seeing waterfalls or getting misted or whatever when they're on their commutes. Build floor grates if you're worried about a dwarf slipping and falling.

Appoda fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

emSparkly posted:

My current fort is the first one I've made any real progress on and I was able to get through a light aquifer just by tricky channeling. How do I actually use the water to my advantage though? There's no river here.

You can build a well above the aquifer z-level. On the aquifer level dig out a small room, at the center dig a single square channel so it creates a depression in the layer below. The walls will slowly leak water filling up the depressio and the surround tiles so you'll want to quickly close off this cistern with walls and then on the layer above the cistern channel down a square above where your depression is and place your well on top.