Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

hallo spacedog posted:

I have a sort of odd request: please recommend to me your favorite books under 300 pages.

The Fan Man by William Kotzwinkle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Opopanax posted:

White Noise is my favourite book and it’s 330 pages, maybe you could find a small print version that cuts it down.
Otherwise off the top of my head, Gunslinger

White Noise is great, I read it a few years ago.
I debated saying under 350 pages because there are a lot of books I like under 350 too.

The recs so far have been awesome looking, thank you.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

hallo spacedog posted:

I have a sort of odd request: please recommend to me your favorite books under 300 pages.

Mother Night and Slaughterhouse Five

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Haystack posted:

Both of those are great!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Flowers for Algernon

The Lathe of Heaven

Pale Fire

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Childhood's End

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Haystack posted:

Good call.

High Rise by Ballard, and Wolf In White Van by John Darnielle of The Mountain Goats.

Darnielle's novel is an odd little fever dream of a thing, and I love it. From The Guardian's review -

quote:

‘What did you do to your face?” Sean has led a solitary existence since the catastrophic incident half a lifetime ago, in a teenage bedroom in suburban California. Most people can’t look at him, let alone ask about the “glistening folds and reconstructed arches” he is left with. But when a five-year-old approaches him as he sits in the park, he finds himself explaining what happened. And then of course the child asks why, and Sean has to say he doesn’t know. “Yes you do,” says the kid. “You do so know.”

Teach fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 10, 2022

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Wolf in white van is great, I've read it twice.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

hallo spacedog posted:

hunger, to the lighthouse, the posthumous memoirs of bras cubas, shyness and dignity,

also the years by ernaux

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Blood Meridian. At least it's the one I remember most vividly and think about most often.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So last year I bought this for my aunt:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1847176925/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And she loved it.

Do people have suggestions for another lightweight, folksy nonfiction about Ireland? Not anything about like Church abuses or genocides, and not like real serious academic history. Something easy that helps her feel good about the Irish ancestry is the general vibe.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I haven’t read it so I can’t speak to its quality, but there is a book called How The Irish Saved Civilization.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Tulip posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1847176925/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And she loved it.

Do people have suggestions for another lightweight, folksy nonfiction about Ireland? Not anything about like Church abuses or genocides, and not like real serious academic history. Something easy that helps her feel good about the Irish ancestry is the general vibe.

"Round Ireland in Low Gear" by Eric Newby, and that guy with a fridge maybe, I haven't read it.

yaffle fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 11, 2022

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Tulip posted:

And she loved it.

Check out the gift book tag from the Irish Academic Press for ideas.

Probably this book (Old Ireland In Colour) is a safe choice - it was huge a couple years ago. People went nuts for it.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

maybe a longshot: anybody have recommendations for books on film theory? could be analyzing a specific work, or going through a movement, or just an introduction to the topic, whatever you've got. i just want to learn to read movies better

there's a book from the 60s called 'Film World' by this british guy Ivor Montagu who worked with Hitchcock and Eisenstein that is a really good nuts and bolts of how film works. i don't think it's in print but you can find copies for like 5 dollars or less online very easily

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Kvlt! posted:

i'm looking for a rec for a Christmas present for my brother. His favorite book is Between Two Fires, he's a big fan of fantasy but less traditional wizards and elves and dragons style and more "realistic" style (though that doesn't mean it can't have magic or creatures etc). He also likes the Black Company series if that helps.

Bonus points if it's a series but one-off books are great too.

Maybe The March North by Graydon Saunders. It's the closest thing to the Black Company I've read since the Black Company. Just that book though, all the sequels are very different in tone and The March North is a self-contained story so you don't need the others (I like them too, but they don't fit the criteria).

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

hallo spacedog posted:

Our Man in Havana is apparently 228 and is wonderful.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The Vegetarian by Han Kang is somehow only 208 pages.

yaffle posted:

"Round Ireland in Low Gear" by Eric Newby, and that guy with a fridge maybe, I haven't read it.

rollick posted:

Check out the gift book tag from the Irish Academic Press for ideas.

Probably this book (Old Ireland In Colour) is a safe choice - it was huge a couple years ago. People went nuts for it.

Wow thank you! That last one in particular seems ideal. Hell yeah.

Since this turned out great for me, I got my lil brother to listen to the audiobook for Dawn of Everything and he loved it and he wants another thing similarly interesting/good. The trouble is that I uh never listen to audiobooks so I don't even know what makes one better or worse than another. Like is there a good audiobook of Art of Not Being Governed for example? That's a similarly broad, excellent piece of nonfiction by an anthropologist but no idea if its got a good narrator.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Need to finish getting presents for some friends and wondering if there was any recommendations for good books on social justice?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Tulip posted:

And she loved it.

Gripweed posted:

I haven’t read it so I can’t speak to its quality, but there is a book called How The Irish Saved Civilization.

My mom loved "How the Irish Saved Civilization" so it gets that certain kind of boomer reader thumbs up.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Lockback posted:

My mom loved "How the Irish Saved Civilization" so it gets that certain kind of boomer reader thumbs up.

cahill is bad. he's mired in some weird Dark Ages historiography that's been outdated since the Nixon administration and leans deeply into nonsense about the mystical Celts that doesn't belong outside of a Wiccan astrology guide

if your aunt wants feel-good historical books, i would suggest reading about a country that is not Ireland

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

This is gonna be weird but does anyone have reccs for Choose Your Own Adventure style books or gamebooks of similar stripe?

My niece is falling far behind her grade level w/ reading, we think largely due to ADHD. She does fine at other school subjects, but that won't last if she can't read texts. Have tried all the regular childrens' lit I figure would suit her interests (animal lover, loosely tomboyish, horse girl adjacent). Have tried Warrior Cats, Redwall, Dinotopia, more or less everything with critters in it.

I am wondering if some sort of interactive story might alleviate the attention span issues and get the reading bug to kick in.

She's 11, so maybe a little too old for the original CYOA series. Is there anything similar that suits tween readers?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

PupsOfWar posted:

This is gonna be weird but does anyone have reccs for Choose Your Own Adventure style books or gamebooks of similar stripe?

My niece is falling far behind her grade level w/ reading, we think largely due to ADHD. She does fine at other school subjects, but that won't last if she can't read texts. Have tried all the regular childrens' lit I figure would suit her interests (animal lover, loosely tomboyish, horse girl adjacent). Have tried Warrior Cats, Redwall, Dinotopia, more or less everything with critters in it.

I am wondering if some sort of interactive story might alleviate the attention span issues and get the reading bug to kick in.

She's 11, so maybe a little too old for the original CYOA series. Is there anything similar that suits tween readers?

First things first, have you tried comics/manga? They're very very approachable, there's a huge list of them appropriate for all ages and genders and the Shonen Jump app for example has a very cheap subscription for basically unlimited amounts of exciting comics suitable for kids in their teens.

Game books are a passion of mine and the bad news is that they basically died in the 90s and were almost exclusively marketed towards boys.

Mainline CYOA books that have been reissued might still be attractive at 11. They certainly have the widest of topics (although boy skewing)

You can look at the big list here for recent stuff but it's pretty dire in terms of targetting the kid your describing:
https://gamebooks.org/Items/ByYear

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Dec 15, 2022

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

PupsOfWar posted:

Goon above me is right, graphic novels are the way to go, there are a huge number now marketed at tweens. Look for Raina Telgemeier as a good place to start, but there are hundreds, mostly very well done, and that's not even getting into Manga - get her "Chi's Sweet Home".

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

If it was 40 years ago I'd suggest the Starlight Adventures books, but they're pretty much impossible to find these days.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

PupsOfWar posted:

I'm going to third the recommendation for manga. There's a ton of manga for young girls.

Alternatively, and this is the real break glass in case of emergency option, visual novels. Get her a Switch and a copy of Dangan Ronpa and she'll learn to read all right. But at what cost?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Gripweed posted:

Get her a Switch and a copy of Dangan Ronpa and she'll learn to read all right. But at what cost?

This might be crazy enough to work.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

PupsOfWar posted:

I was reading Lone Wolf books at that age and they're available to be read online or as PDFs for free: https://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Books

I loved them when I was a boy, but they're pretty standard adventure stories. Not sure how you're niece would feel about them.

Not a CYOA, but Animorphs would probably appeal to an animal lover and unlike a lot of children's literature (including Lone Wolf) from when I was a kid, the messages and assumptions in it have held up well.

fez_machine posted:

First things first, have you tried comics/manga? They're very very approachable, there's a huge list of them appropriate for all ages and genders and the Shonen Jump app for example has a very cheap subscription for basically unlimited amounts of exciting comics suitable for kids in their teens.

Game books are a passion of mine and the bad news is that they basically died in the 90s and were almost exclusively marketed towards boys.

Mainline CYOA books that have been reissued might still be attractive at 11. They certainly have the widest of topics (although boy skewing)

You can look at the big list here for recent stuff but it's pretty dire in terms of targetting the kid your describing:
https://gamebooks.org/Items/ByYear
It's for the OP's niece. So I was going to suggest Shoujo Beat instead/also, but apparently it never got a digitized app (because Japanese sexism?) Certainly not much harm in trying it.

Edit: There's also the Interactive Fiction Archive. It'll require some upfront setup, but they've got mobile apps now it looks like. There's also a lot of content not aimed at young teens on there, so you'd probably want to curate it, but it's an option.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 15, 2022

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Couldn't you just bust out the Pokemon Manga? Like that seems universally good. I don't know the center of the "horse girl/pokemon girl" Venn, but it seems like it would be substantial enough to warrant an issue or two as a test run.

Some of the arcs have girls for protagonists, so you could aim that as well, if relevant.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

You’re going to be stuck trying to find them at used book stores or paying too much online, but Give Yourself Goosebumps is good for that age. Ryan North also wrote a Hamlet Cyoa that’s good for an older crowd, but it might not be as funny if you aren’t familiar with the play.
If attention is the issue strips might be good, Calvin and Hobbes worked wonders for my kid.
When in doubt, buy Bone.

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 15, 2022

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Buy Bone irregardless

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Any good recommendations for Weimar Republic history on culture and politics? I've been watching Babylon Berlin and the real history aspect is intriguing. Previous recommendations for crusades histories we're great, so thanks for the comprehensive one and the Muslim perspective books

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

yaffle posted:

Goon above me is right, graphic novels are the way to go, there are a huge number now marketed at tweens. Look for Raina Telgemeier as a good place to start, but there are hundreds, mostly very well done, and that's not even getting into Manga - get her "Chi's Sweet Home".

Just for shits and giggles, here are the top 25 graphic novels from the last 2 years in our elementary school library:

Dog Man. Grime and punishment
Dog Man. Mothering heights
Click
Guts
Dog Man. Fetch-22
Dog Man. A tale of two kitties
Dog Man unleashed
Ghosts
Catwad. It's me
Stargazing
Dog Man. For whom the ball rolls
Dog Man. Lord of the fleas
Baby-sitters little sister. 2, Karen's roller skates
Baby-sitters little sister. 1, Karen's witch
Doodleville
The leak
The Baby-sitters club. 6, Kristy's big day
Bug boys
The Baby-sitters club. 7, Boy-crazy Stacey
The Baby-sitters club. 5, Dawn and the impossible three
Sunny side up
The Baby-sitters club. 9, Claudia and the new girl
Avatar, the last airbender. The rift
The Baby-sitters club. 8, Logan likes Mary Anne!
Best friends

As you can see Dog Man is a plague, unless your niece is functionally a second grade boy you can ignore them, all the others will be just fine.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Hey everyone!

My girlfriend has really gotten into cozy murder mysteries, specifically a lot of Agatha Christie and the like and I wanted to get her something similar this Christmas that we could both read through. Basically, the type of murder mystery that isn't too grisly and noir but still rather suspenseful. Doesn't necessarily have to be a one-off either, a series recommendation would also be nice. Much appreciated in advance!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Have you tried the Lord Peter Wimsey or Campion books?

We did Strong Poison a while back as BotM and it'd be a good one for a couple read.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3983771

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 16, 2022

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003

Dirty Frank posted:

Our Man in Havana is apparently 228 and is wonderful.

I read this book several years ago based on the recommendation of this thread. It is one of the best dark comedies I’ve read and as far as I know the only black comedy spy novels of its caliber.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
It's quite the random topic, but I'm curious to read a book, fiction or nonfiction, that's about Model United Nations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

OneMoreTime posted:

Hey everyone!

My girlfriend has really gotten into cozy murder mysteries, specifically a lot of Agatha Christie and the like and I wanted to get her something similar this Christmas that we could both read through. Basically, the type of murder mystery that isn't too grisly and noir but still rather suspenseful. Doesn't necessarily have to be a one-off either, a series recommendation would also be nice. Much appreciated in advance!

There's quite a list in the mystery thread. For cozy-yet-suspenseful, I'm gonna point you to:
  • E.C.R. Lorac (try Bats in the Belfry)
  • Elizabeth Peters (try Crocodile on the Sandbank or Borrower of the Night, and check out the audiobooks narrated by Barbara Rosenblat, which are excellent)
  • Rex Stout (try Prisoner's Base)

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I’ve been out of the fantasy novel game since book two of the Stormlight Archive (so….2014?) but want to get back in. Sanderson stuff aside, any suggestions on books that have come out since then? Especially if they’re of the “epic fantasy” series sort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Anno posted:

I’ve been out of the fantasy novel game since book two of the Stormlight Archive (so….2014?) but want to get back in. Sanderson stuff aside, any suggestions on books that have come out since then? Especially if they’re of the “epic fantasy” series sort.

Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon was a favorite of mine from the last few years.