Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Oh what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

thatfuturekid posted:

Timo (The Night comes for us, Headshot) has a new flick out today, "The Big 4"! The Night Comes for Us is an all time fav and I am happy that Netflix is giving him money to make these crazy, violent films.

I've only gotten around to seeing part of it before being interrupted today, but it had a weird yet intriguing mix of Jackie Chan-style action comedy and their trademark hyperviolence.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I've been meaning to watch Wolves so guess it's time to acquire it.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Pushed me over the edge into finally buying the blu-rays.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I’ve actually been meaning to get the Station Eleven BluRay for a while but there isn’t one!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Starks posted:

I’ve actually been meaning to get the Station Eleven BluRay for a while but there isn’t one!

The showrunner posted about it on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/patrickerville/status/1602492077446676481?s=20&t=320K2iyggKuDfbdFJEMpmQ

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm tired of all these streaming wars

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

whats a good place to start reading about plex hosting or whatever

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

precision posted:

I'm tired of all these streaming wars

You know who's winning the streaming wars? Sony.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

thatfuturekid posted:

Timo (The Night comes for us, Headshot) has a new flick out today, "The Big 4"! The Night Comes for Us is an all time fav and I am happy that Netflix is giving him money to make these crazy, violent films.

The Big 4 IMDb summary, and also the literal exact plot of The Night Comes For Us posted:

Tells the story of an elite assassin that is targeted by murderous gangsters after sparing a girl's life during a massacre.

soooo Timo remade The Night Comes For Us as a comedy?

I'm with it

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

whats a good place to start reading about plex hosting or whatever

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3620605

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

City Slickers on Netflix is much more serious than I remember. Three middle aged guys go on vacation at a working ranch to drive a herd of cattle to Colorado and find themselves somewhere along the way. It's like a Hallmark movie for guys, with a few jokes. I liked it though; as on the nose as it is, Billy Crystal keeps it watchable. As I get older, a lot of movies are starting to become relevant to my life in a way they weren't when I was 7, 15, 20, etc. It's obviously to be expected, but it's interesting to experience.

The Quick and the Dead, also on Netflix, is still as awesome as it was when I was 7, 15, and 20. A gunslinger with a mysterious past rides into a dilapidated town and enters a quick draw contest--but there's more than prize money on her mind. Somehow I had forgotten it was directed by Sam Raimi. If you haven't seen it, cancel your plans, call out sick, get a divorce, stay in and watch it, whether or not you like westerns.

Netflix and the other streaming services still have a lot of great movies available, they just don't put them on the front page.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Dec 16, 2022

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Inspector Hound posted:

City Slickers on Netflix is much more serious than I remember. Three middle aged guys go on vacation at a working ranch to drive a herd of cattle to Colorado and find themselves somewhere along the way. It's like a Hallmark movie for guys, with a few jokes. I liked it though; as on the nose as it is, Billy Crystal keeps it watchable. As I get older, a lot of movies are starting to become relevant to my life in a way they weren't when I was 7, 15, 20, etc. It's obviously to be expected, but it's interesting to experience.

The Quick and the Dead, also on Netflix, is still as awesome as it was when I was 7, 15, and 20. A gunslinger with a mysterious past rides into a dilapidated town and enters a quick draw contest--but there's more than prize money on her mind. Somehow I had forgotten it was directed by Sam Raimi. If you haven't seen it, cancel your plans, call out sick, get a divorce, stay in and watch it, whether or not you like westerns.

Netflix and the other streaming services still have a lot of great movies available, they just don't put them on the front page.

I love the Quick and the Dead, it has an insane cast; some great character actors too, and some yet to be big actors like Russel Crowe and Leonardo DiCaprio, and it was all Sharon Stone's doing, she was a producer:

quote:

"“I had so much resistance on that movie. I wanted Leo DiCaprio: ‘Pay him out of your own money.’ I wanted Russell Crowe: ‘Why do you want this guy who has only played a skinhead before?’ I wanted Sam Raimi to direct: ‘Sharon, why do you always shoot yourself in the foot?’ They banned me from the studio for eight years after that,” she said."
https://variety.com/2021/film/global/sharon-stone-zurich-1235074934/

Fun movie

related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcYr-clpLSQ

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Inspector Hound posted:

Oh what the gently caress

The modern equivalent to syndication, sort of

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Slow Horses moves a lot faster than I expected. Cool show so far.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
If you enjoyed Murderville on Netflix before, the Christmas special is great. It's incredibly silly.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah it was stupid and hilarious. I loved it

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
If you like food competition shows, Amazon's Freevee has America's Test Kitchen: The Next Generation. There is nothing original about it in any way whatsoever, Top Chef is the pinnacle of this genre, and HBO's The Big Brunch was better, but ATK: TNG is perfectly adequate to watch.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Glottis posted:

If you enjoyed Murderville on Netflix before, the Christmas special is great. It's incredibly silly.

I’d never seen the show but I was in a crummy mood and looking for something Christmas and fun and it hit the spot. Lots of stupid fun. I’m definitely gonna give the show a look in the new year.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
If you like home makeover shows and drag, HBO max now has Trixie Motel, which was previously exclusively on Discovery+. Trixie Mattel, alum of RuPaul's Drag Race season 7, and winner of RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars season 3, bought a motel in Palm Springs and brought in various celebrity friends like Nicole Beyer, Orville Peck, and Lisa Vanderpump to assist with renovating each room into very kitschy themes. It's fun.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

magiccarpet posted:

Slow Horses moves a lot faster than I expected. Cool show so far.

It's got terrific pacing and doesn't outlast its welcome. basically, the opposite of American spook show The Old Man which had a couple of good episodes followed by 8 super slow and boring ones.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Rental Sting posted:

It's got terrific pacing and doesn't outlast its welcome. basically, the opposite of American spook show The Old Man which had a couple of good episodes followed by 8 super slow and boring ones.

I was so loving mad at The Old Man. I didn't want a character study, I wanted Jeff Bridges doing Jason Bourne stuff.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

STAC Goat posted:

I’d never seen the show but I was in a crummy mood and looking for something Christmas and fun and it hit the spot. Lots of stupid fun. I’m definitely gonna give the show a look in the new year.

It can be sorta hit and miss based on how goofy the guest is. Marshawn Lynch was actually maybe the best guest.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Glottis posted:

It can be sorta hit and miss based on how goofy the guest is. Marshawn Lynch was actually maybe the best guest.

Agree with you. Marshawn and Conan were great, they rest not so much. The Christmas special is as good as those first two episodes though.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

If you like food competition shows, Amazon's Freevee has America's Test Kitchen: The Next Generation. There is nothing original about it in any way whatsoever, Top Chef is the pinnacle of this genre, and HBO's The Big Brunch was better, but ATK: TNG is perfectly adequate to watch.

Wow, I didn't realize Big Brunch was a competition show, I figured it was like one of those "celebrities sit around and talk and eat" things.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

smackfu posted:

Wow, I didn't realize Big Brunch was a competition show, I figured it was like one of those "celebrities sit around and talk and eat" things.

Nope, it's a group of 10 or so chefs who compete each week cooking various brunch themed challenges. One might be a hair of the dog challenge, another like a high end cuisine brunch. Dan Levy and two food journalists are the head judges, with an occasional guest judge.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Black Adam is on HBO Max now. It's, uh, real bad. It feels like The Rock wrote it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Glottis posted:

Black Adam is on HBO Max now. It's, uh, real bad. It feels like The Rock wrote it.

That comment paints the appropriate picture for sure. The character is presented right off the bat as being almost invulnerable other than one weakness that really never gets exploited ever again. Despite repeated comments regarding how everything has changed since his time, he has a near-perfect understanding of idiomatic language, because the writers didn't bother to find a way to differentiate his speech. The ending is completely non-sensical, as the time-criticality that leads to character sacrifice ... is then undermined and retroactively makes the sacrifice idiotic.

Yeah, it was real bad.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Plot aside I don't expect to ever be emotionally moved or intellectually provoked by a super hero film...is it at least like an entertaining spectacle with fun action scenes?

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Plot aside I don't expect to ever be emotionally moved or intellectually provoked by a super hero film...is it at least like an entertaining spectacle with fun action scenes?

It's a lot of super people slamming each other into walls, where you aren't really sure if they're all invincible or not. It's very hard to care about any of the stakes at any point. I didn't find the action to be satisfying 80% of the time. It's probably the worst superhero movie I've seen in quite a while.

If you think it's cool when super people catch a bullet or missile or whatever, then this is the movie for you! It happens like 20 times.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Thanks to whoever recommended Emily the Criminal.

Odd way to deal with student loans but at least it keeps the conversation alive, even if the supreme court is going to nix Biden's suggestion.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Yeah, Emily the Criminal was good. Except for that one guy’s pronunciation of Van Nuys.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I thought Emily was good except for Theo Rossi’s accent good lord. Don’t think the movie would have lost anything by just letting him speak in his normal voice.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
It is time for the annual Mythic Quest flashback episode and like the other two it was great. The girl who plays the younger Poppy is so good that if you told me it really was Charlotte Nicdao playing the younger version of Poppy via some computer trick I would believe you. The younger actress perfected Poppy’s mannerism and had her look down, plus she sounded so much like Poppy that at first I thought it was dubbed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Black Adam is a pretty cool character. The Rock is very funny. Black Adam manages to be neither

It's basically a bad version of Oscar Isaac's moon knight show, which was itself a bad version of a good character

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

We're gonna put you in suspended animation for like 2 hours tops so you don't say shazam

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

The Queen of Versailles first 2012 documentry pretty damning doc of shithead rich and too many kids
Discovery+ The Queen of Versailles 2022 is a fluff piece akin to what you would expect. Boo!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Starks posted:

I thought Emily was good except for Theo Rossi’s accent good lord. Don’t think the movie would have lost anything by just letting him speak in his normal voice.

I thought the first half was kinda crazy but the last half was predictable and dumb. Falling in love with the crime ring leader with a heart of gold is going to end with his tragic death, obviously.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

nate fisher posted:

It is time for the annual Mythic Quest flashback episode and like the other two it was great. The girl who plays the younger Poppy is so good that if you told me it really was Charlotte Nicdao playing the younger version of Poppy via some computer trick I would believe you. The younger actress perfected Poppy’s mannerism and had her look down, plus she sounded so much like Poppy that at first I thought it was dubbed.

Agreed. The rest of this relatively lackluster series is worth watching for the annua serious episodes. Young Poppy was very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Kamen Rider Black Sun is not a good onboarding series