Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.

Fornax Disaster posted:

Where I’m from people would just go to Jack and Jills at the community hall. Ever seen a middle aged man dancing to Gangnam Style beneath a 1950s portrait of the queen? I have.

Unfortunately the mill shut down long before Gangnam style was a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

How have you guys not posted the best Toronto Life story

https://torontolife.com/food/restaurant-ruined-life/

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The whole thing feels like a plotline for a CBC sitcom. Hell it could have been the plot of Schitts Creek if it took a different direction.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

LMAO at moving to the exurbs when she probably could have easily purchased a nice condo for 100k less than she spent in Calgary within stumbling distance of a Cactus Club and/or a c-train station.

Yes but you see one must buy a SFH for ~reasons~

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

How can you be a landlord if you don't own any land?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

McGavin posted:

Easy, just hold eight mortgages

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

McGavin posted:

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Alctel posted:

How did they afford it, I don't understand

Like he was working part-time and had just finished full time education and come out with a PHd in education while she was about to go on maternity leave and was an editor but they somehow owned both a 700k house AND a condo before loving around with the new place and getting bailed out by a rich relative

Thought you were exaggerating but no, that is exactly what happened

I really started questioning reality when she just drops the line that "luckily we still owned the 2-bedroom condo" like sure, of course you do. So somehow they "impulsively" bought a 2-bedroom house while not even selling their previous place while he was in school for a Phd and she's doing low-tier Food Network editing.

These 2 idiots don't have enough brain cells between them to properly manage the purchase of a Corolla and yet they end up with a million dollar home freshly renovated, cottage property, etc.
This is the kind of poo poo that infuriates people. This couple can make wild impulsive decisions because they're backstopped by the knowledge that their relatives won't let them fail if something goes wrong. And then they'll explain it by saying something like "You just need to go for it, things have a way of working out" because they've never really experienced life where there's nothing and no one to fall back on.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

COPE 27 posted:

Don't sleep on this classic. The picture still cracks me up.

quote:

The next step was to find a space. I scoured listings and realized that my $60,000 could barely cover the cost of a chip truck.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

COPE 27 posted:

From the people this guy name drops as inspirations:
Dave Chang's qualifications to open a restaurant - years of culinary school, years of apprenticeship at home and abroad.
Thomas Keller's qualifications to open a restaurant - 15+ years of experience in kitchens.
Anthony Bourdain's qualifications to be a chef - years of culinary school, experience at restaurants in NYC, but also never opened his own restaurant.

Toronto man's qualifications to open restaurant - I have $60k and I sort-of read books by all of the above and I like cooking at home. What could go wrong?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It's actually amazing how many self-inflicted points of failure he built into this even beyond the initial idea. Yeah dude people are totally gonna go out to Scarborough for your potato chips.

quote:

I turned to Jameson for advice, and he told me he was looking to buy a commercial building. He said that if I helped him find a suitable place, preferably with a liquor licence and an exhaust hood–equipped kitchen, he would buy it and lease it to me at a friendly rate. After a few weeks of searching, I found such a place—a two-storey building on Kingston Road just west of Victoria Park. I realized it was far from the downtown foodie scene, but I figured if diners made pilgrimages to Michael Stadtländer’s Eigensinn Farm all the way up in Singhampton, surely they could trek east for 25 minutes to enjoy the city’s finest thrice-cooked chips.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

InfiniteZero posted:

Dave Chang's qualifications to open a restaurant - years of culinary school, years of apprenticeship at home and abroad.
Thomas Keller's qualifications to open a restaurant - 15+ years of experience in kitchens.
Anthony Bourdain's qualifications to be a chef - years of culinary school, experience at restaurants in NYC, but also never opened his own restaurant.

Toronto man's qualifications to open restaurant - I have $60k and I sort-of read books by all of the above and I like cooking at home. What could go wrong?

I have a cousin who's been working as a chef in one capacity or another since he was in his teens (my uncle was a chef as well), and he recently acquired his second restaurant to go with his successful first one that he successfully steered through the pandemic where many others failed (which he opened after a few years running a smaller original hole in the wall restaurant specializing in delicious po'boy sandwiches).

If only he'd known you just need 60 thou and a dream.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

InfiniteZero posted:

Toronto man's qualifications to do something they've only heard about - I have $60k and I sort-of read books by all of the above and I like doing it as a hobby at home. What could go wrong?
That's pretty much the template for most Toronto Life articles.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

InfiniteZero posted:

The real fuckin' irony here is Bourdain's books repeatedly repeatedly say what a loving horrible idea, and how this guy was going to completely fail

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Reading Kitchen Confidential and coming away wanting to own a restaurant is like watching The Killing Fields and wanting to hop on a magical plane that takes you to Cambodia in 1976.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
That sounds like literally the backstory to an episode of Kitchen Nightmares.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Franks Happy Place posted:

Reading Kitchen Confidential and coming away wanting to own a restaurant is like watching The Killing Fields and wanting to hop on a magical plane that takes you to Cambodia in 1976.

Somewhere in Oshawa, a man is cashing in his RRSPs based on his fandom of Bob's Burgers.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

The real fuckin' irony here is Bourdain's books repeatedly repeatedly say what a loving horrible idea, and how this guy was going to completely fail

And describe in detail how working in restaurants turns you into an insane drug addled maniac

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Someone should pitch Toronto Life the Doobie’s Dogs story.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Mr. Apollo posted:

Someone should pitch Toronto Life the Doobie’s Dogs story.

I've been waiting for a sympathetic profile of Adam Skelly for a while.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/charlesrusnell/status/1603964729332207616?s=46&t=ooKXaiRJQYZp0kdwI59yxA

Smith finds more ways to step on rakes.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Government funded diphtheria for some, miniature Alberta separatist flags for others

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

I can just imagine her freaking out when she lands in Hawaii for her annual Christmas trip (it's family tradition don't'chaknow!) and the US still requires vaccination for entry. On top of that, how blind is she to not know for the past several years when COVID started Hawaiian citizens, especially indigenous citizens have been saying they don't want tourists there?

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Lars Blitzer posted:

I can just imagine her freaking out when she lands in Hawaii for her annual Christmas trip (it's family tradition don't'chaknow!) and the US still requires vaccination for entry. On top of that, how blind is she to not know for the past several years when COVID started Hawaiian citizens, especially indigenous citizens have been saying they don't want tourists there?

I'm sure she'll "make them understand"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

I'm sure she'll "make them understand"

Speaking of which…

https://twitter.com/ckomnews/status/1604065689601310720?s=21

I think it’s becoming a Conservative hallmark to create your own misfortune and then bitch about it while blaming your enemies for no logical reason. Would you be surprised to find out, for example, that a dispute between Saskatchewan’s idiot king and the First Nations is actually Trudeau’s fault? Well, read the replies to this tweet and you’ll be thusly informed…

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

We have gone over 24 hours without Danielle Smith doing something idiotic. Is this a new record?

Also apparently there was a mass shooting in Hamilton today. :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

We have gone over 24 hours without Danielle Smith doing something idiotic. Is this a new record?

Without doing something idiotic *publicly*

She's probably got her hand stuck in a vending machine or something, unable to reach a phone or microphone to embarrass herself and the province.

I didn't think i could have less respect for a human being than i do for Jason Kenney, but holy poo poo, is she loving dumb and evil.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 19, 2022

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Powershift posted:

Without doing something idiotic *publicly*

She's probably got her hand stuck in a vending machine or something, unable to reach a phone or microphone to embarrass herself and the province.

"Miss Premier have you tried just... letting go of the Baby Ruth?"

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Furnaceface posted:

Also apparently there was a mass shooting in Hamilton today. :(

Vaughn actually, someone mad at their condo board who had failed to sue them.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/francesco-villi-vaughan-shooting-what-we-know-1.6691201

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Powershift posted:

I didn't think i could have less respect for a human being than i do for Jason Kenney, but holy poo poo, is she loving dumb and evil.

Right? Jason Kenney was a stupid, evil motherfucker and I hope now as I hoped then that he gets his scrotum caught in a zipper, but wow was he an order of magnitude less loving moronic than Danielle Smith.

I can't actually decide if that's good or bad. Jason Kenney wanted to do slightly fewer stupid things, but he was actually intelligent enough to do them. Danielle Smith wants to do things which are far worse, but her attempts to do them bring to mind the idea of someone trying to play Jenga whilst wearing mittens.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Bought Kate Beaton's new book and read it all in one sitting, what a nightmare. Meant to read it on the train on Friday but as soon as I started it it grabbed me.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

Bought Kate Beaton's new book and read it all in one sitting, what a nightmare. Meant to read it on the train on Friday but as soon as I started it it grabbed me.

It's such a good, nuanced portrayal of life in a self-contained, insular place like that but while the instinct might be to say "oh it's a bunch of monsters in one place" it at least tries to scratch the surface of what it is about that environment that can and does turn people - men in particular - into those kinds of monsters. I've been recommending it to everyone I talk to.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
Men are those monsters long before they get trapped in the oilfiends.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

I’m currently reading it. drat, it hits hard.

My take so far is that while environments like the oil sands don’t create those monsters, they certainly thrive there.

Segue
May 23, 2007

It all takes place too before we had very public conversations around MeToo and public harassment. I really like the scene where she's talking to a journalist about what it's like but can't name a specific example because it's just the slow accumulation of indignities. And this book really does that.

The afterword reading that she now lives with her family in Cape Breton drat near makes you weep.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Segue posted:

It all takes place too before we had very public conversations around MeToo and public harassment. I really like the scene where she's talking to a journalist about what it's like but can't name a specific example because it's just the slow accumulation of indignities. And this book really does that.

The afterword reading that she now lives with her family in Cape Breton drat near makes you weep.

It's also before the ubiquity of cell phones and really gets across the crushing isolation and loneliness of the place, which is part of the reason people turn to drugs or just crumble under the pressure.

What makes it almost harder a read is that it's not just a long nightmare. There's very sweet and funny moments too, but even those are often interrupted by some small or large indignity.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Kate & Morgan are two of the nicest people on the planet and I am so happy for them.

What's disappointing is that Kate has been trying to use the publicity around the book launch to draw attention to the horrible poo poo these mining outfits continue to get away with, but it keeps getting cut from the interviews.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

That's horrible. She did a really good one for Canadaland a little while ago, but they also had a whole series about mining so they'd naturally platform that perspective from her.

I don't know who would have the stones to produce it but I would absolutely watch an animated series based on Ducks in her art style a la Princess and the Pony.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

A lot of progress has been made since Beaton worked there, though. Now tool crib attendants start at $40-44/hr instead of $18-22.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Cold on a Cob posted:

Vaughn actually, someone mad at their condo board who had failed to sue them.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/francesco-villi-vaughan-shooting-what-we-know-1.6691201

I'm not going to give him any views but you won't be surprised to hear that a Rebel news employee described this as immigrant violence due to Trudeau's lax immigration policy.

The man came to Canada over 50 years ago.