Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Because that’s how it’s supposed to work and the energy companies are the ones loving it up by being greedy shitbags?

Again, the point of paying by direct debit is you make 12 identical payments for the year, so you can budget evenly since most people also get paid roughly the same amount of money 12 times a year.

So say by some miracle (and for simplicity of explanations sake, the seasons are very clearly delineated) your bills for the year were £1200 altogether - instead of having to pay £150 in March, £150 in June, then suddenly it’s £450 in September and £450 in December, you just pay £100 every month and don’t worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
I pay DD monthly as that was one of the requirements of the tariff I switched to. So was getting smart meters fitted, but the elevator one of full of asbestos and they done have anyone qualified to swap it out I get to not have them.
(I don't want smart meters, and at the time, was qualified on asbestos so I'm not worried)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The thing that worries me is that these prices aren't going down, right? Like they say they are, but the companies aren't going to decide to make less of a profit, the regilator is absolutely meaningless, and its ableist to ask the conservatives to govern, and they've already said they'll be 'reviewing' the heating payments in april, i.e. stopping them.

Which means prices next summer are going to be as high as a normal winter, and then next year I'd like to bet we're not getting the heating allowance.

So what then?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You’ll find a way to pay the bill or freeze to death at which point you’ll be replaced by another customer who will repeat the process

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Either people bear the cost or they start rolling out the axe and block.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

History Comes Inside! posted:

Because that’s how it’s supposed to work and the energy companies are the ones loving it up by being greedy shitbags?

Again, the point of paying by direct debit is you make 12 identical payments for the year, so you can budget evenly since most people also get paid roughly the same amount of money 12 times a year.

So say by some miracle (and for simplicity of explanations sake, the seasons are very clearly delineated) your bills for the year were £1200 altogether - instead of having to pay £150 in March, £150 in June, then suddenly it’s £450 in September and £450 in December, you just pay £100 every month and don’t worry about it.

i understand all that. i was asking why people aren't just switching to monthly bills and cutting back rather than acquiescing to huge jumps in monthly payments.

there's also the thing about estimates where i don't trust them at all because i've seen how wrong they are at least for me because i don't use much, so i'd rather just put in my actual readings and pay for that, because it's always going to be less than an estimate. it means fluctuating amounts per month but i know i'm not just throwing money away.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Endjinneer posted:

Glad I checked the thread and saw this. 200 bux in credit and the graph on their website show me running that up to £500 by November 2024 because of course I'd like to be a creditor to a murderous mutinational.
Best thing is, despite planning to move out in a couple of months, they won't allow me to cut the direct debit enough that we'll break even by February. Gobshites.

Cancel the direct debit, you are in credit and perfectly entitled to and within the law.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I tend to lurk and not post, but I am having a poo poo time at the moment and really need to vent.

I've got long covid (referred to long covid clinic today), Mum has just been diagnosed with cancer. Was staying with my parents for a few days - got home and my water pipes have frozen.

I nipped back and all was fine on Monday, but now due to the pipes freezing, I've no heating and no water. Of course, one of the downsides of long covid is really feeling the cold.

Just crap.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That is horrible, really don't have the words to express it but I hope things get better for you.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Ian_Fraser/status/1603087715347709955

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Oh thank gently caress, I thought "ex prime minister Boris Johnson trousers £1.03 million" was going to be about an auction for a start.

Testro posted:

I tend to lurk and not post, but I am having a poo poo time at the moment and really need to vent.
Condolences and I hope things get better. Your local council or water board company may be able to help in cases where your health is impacted if you call, water is a right while we still have rights.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

Oh thank gently caress, I thought "ex prime minister Boris Johnson trousers £1.03 million" was going to be about an auction for a start.

Here I was thinking this was his total expenditure on trousers during his time as Prime Minister

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

endlessmonotony posted:

Those -30C nights will get real expensive...

The 30C summer days even more so

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

In fairness, if anything of Boris Johnson was doing work worth £1.3 million it was his trousers.
Between staying on, staying clean, going up, going down, hanging on etc...those trousers did Trojan work.

Testro
May 2, 2009
Thanks both, I really appreciate it. I think I might've got the boiler going now, fingers crossed.

I know it sounds weird from a lurker but I read this thread everyday (and have done for about 12 years) and it meant a lot to know you're all out there.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
:justpost: imo

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

roomtone posted:

i understand all that. i was asking why people aren't just switching to monthly bills and cutting back rather than acquiescing to huge jumps in monthly payments.

there's also the thing about estimates where i don't trust them at all because i've seen how wrong they are at least for me because i don't use much, so i'd rather just put in my actual readings and pay for that, because it's always going to be less than an estimate. it means fluctuating amounts per month but i know i'm not just throwing money away.

If you're submitting monthly readings then you're still just paying for what you use plus the standing charge with Direct Debit. It's just if the DD amount is higher than your usage costs then it'll sit in your account with them as credit, the only money you're throwing away is the interest you would have earned from that money sitting in your account rather than theirs (Agreed though that you don't want to sit on a huge amount of credit with the company so they can earn the interest rather than you).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Always post, I have never allowed uncertainty or lack of knowledge to impede my divine right to say things on the internet.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

If anyone's lurking and not posting,

A) I welcome the lurkers, but would encourage them to go further by posting,

B) Lets face it, you can't do any worse than me.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I would advise all lurkers to get a second account before posting and keep it a big secret.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Lurkers: :justpost:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

B) Lets face it, you can't do any worse than me.

ahem

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
Not going to lie, this thread feels a bit more tight knit and honest than many other threads and posting in it feels a bit daunting.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I'm with Shell and recently their website has been crashing a lot, possibly with demand as people are checking how much gas and electricity they're using.

My house is 13.5C, but honestly if they're going to charge me stupid amounts by DD that they won't lower, then what's the point in being cold and poor when I could be warmer and poor?

Testro, I'm sorry you're having a rough time. If you get a diagnosis, please look into getting on a priority services list with your utility suppliers. Your mum will definitely qualify.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Crust First posted:

Not going to lie, this thread feels a bit more tight knit and honest than many other threads and posting in it feels a bit daunting.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I would advise all lurkers to get a second account before posting and keep it a big secret.

Honest though? Are all the other threads, which I don't read, lying a bunch?

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Very few posts in PYF seem to be of a favourite thing. It's a goddamn scandal.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Most of the threads I read are, you know, funny computer or post dumb tweet. This one is real people with real concerns and honest raw emotions about things that matter. On top of that, it feels like there are a handful of consistent posters keeping the thread going, and it's difficult to casually pop in on that. I'm not saying it's always serious all the time, but it feels more grave to make an inappropriately timed post or a faux pas or the like.

Funka
Jan 4, 2006
Lurker post day so I'll join in too, I think the direct debit is a lower rate per kwh? I know I'm paying more to pay quarterly, I dont trust them to help themselves to my bank account. And in the middle of moving into a flat that has a prepaid meter with Utilita oh god this looks awful, and I even had EDF before.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I hate paying quarterly because I'm a budget freak who likes all my out goings to be perfectly trackable.

Testro
May 2, 2009

Lady Demelza posted:

Testro, I'm sorry you're having a rough time. If you get a diagnosis, please look into getting on a priority services list with your utility suppliers. Your mum will definitely qualify.

Thank you - this is a great point. I had mentioned it to my parents the other week, but I'll take charge and do it when I see them over Christmas.

I will check it out for myself too if long covid qualifies. It's not really been my year - haven't really left the house much since the pandemic and caught covid immediately when I first went back into my workplace over the summer. Incredible misfortune but stuff happens, I guess.

Really appreciate the help and the encouragement to post too; I'll try to lurk a little less.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
It's a bit late advice now. But for anyone else most thermostats from the last decade or 2 have a holiday mode, they will effectively be off UNLESS the temperature drops below 5c in the house, it then comes on to stop pipes freezing.

Funka
Jan 4, 2006

Mega Comrade posted:

I hate paying quarterly because I'm a budget freak who likes all my out goings to be perfectly trackable.

I get them to put in smart meters so I have some idea of what kind of chunk of money they're due, but yeah it's 4 chunks a year anyways.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

those trousers did Trojan work.
Sadly for his dozen kids he never sees not this kind though

Related, if trade negotiations in the new year moves NI toward Europe over Britain for things like regulation of foods and medicines, I hope it also results in these being sold all around

Testro posted:

Thank you - this is a great point. I had mentioned it to my parents the other week, but I'll take charge and do it when I see them over Christmas.

I will check it out for myself too if long covid qualifies.
The priority services register is supposed to cover all pensioners, registered disabled, and people with 'long term ill-health'. I'm not sure whether Ofgem has made any decision or guidance on long covid under the latter yet, but if it's like how it was with ME/CFS or HIV/AIDS or severe IBS then it's going to be a matter of just continuously bringing your case to them and not taking "oh that doesn't meet the criteria" as an answer, which is usually the last thing anyone in that place wants to do.

Mega Comrade posted:

It's a bit late advice now. But for anyone else most thermostats from the last decade or 2 have a holiday mode, they will effectively be off UNLESS the temperature drops below 5c in the house, it then comes on to stop pipes freezing.
Also many boilers from the last decade or so will have that internally just in case the wireless thermostat decides that, like, transmitting data is hard man.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Lady Demelza posted:

My house is 13.5C, but honestly if they're going to charge me stupid amounts by DD that they won't lower, then what's the point in being cold and poor when I could be warmer and poor?
Yeah, this was my thinking. One thing my dad (ex boiler engineer) pointed out is that if you let the ambient temperature go too low, the boiler has to work harder to bring it back up, so you're still relatively getting hosed, just at a lower temperature.

Same with guides telling you to turn your radiator temperature down - it just means modern boilers are on longer getting the heat from the radiator to hit the thermostat.

In the end I've just set everything to 20° and thought gently caress it. I can save what, £200 a year by following money saving guides and turning things down? There's still the matter of the other £2,300 to worry about.

I'm getting financially hosed either way, might as well be comfortable while they drain my DWP payout. God help anyone who's on a pay meter.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Crust First posted:

Oh, we can shitpost too, don't worry!

If you're unsure you can just quote someone posting a news story and reply "gently caress the Tories", everyone will nod to themselves and you will be accepted. Pretty sure that was how I moved from lurking to posting too much, remember a few posts from Spangly A about the door & how poo poo it is being when I thought "oh, this thread seems chill & good."

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Crust First posted:

We've just had three pages talking about cats

Seriously, :justpost:

If you've been lurking and reading and are still lurking and reading, then pull up a chair by the fire

e: oh, I forgot to post this

Also, 'Joe Lycett vs Beckham: Got Your Back at Xmas' is a very good watch. Highly recommended

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 16, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I bring exactly the same level of sincerity and emotional intensity to every thread I post in.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fuctifino posted:

e: oh, I forgot to post this

:discourse:
Also the films of Roman Polanski, in that everyone says "oh you need to watch" but I'm not going to so long as it risks money or attention going to a nonce who abused international law designed to protect art and artists for the sole reason of escaping justice for his noncing.

Seriously tho how is he still alive? He's like 90 and spent half the 70s wrecked on the same tranquillizers he used to nonce. loving die you old oval office I want to watch Chinatown.

Testro
May 2, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Yeah, this was my thinking. One thing my dad (ex boiler engineer) pointed out is that if you let the ambient temperature go too low, the boiler has to work harder to bring it back up, so you're still relatively getting hosed, just at a lower temperature.

I think one of the few posts I did make here was about this - I did some experimenting over the past couple of years and found it was cheaper to leave the heating on all of the time (lowest temp 12 or 15c) than it was putting the heating on, letting the temperature drop, putting the heating on etc in a cycle.

That's why I was so stunned about the water. Looking at my thermometer logs, the boiler stopped this afternoon - so the house was around 8-10C.

I can't decide if it's the pipe entering the house or where the pipes are in the attic (because I had insufficient water supply for 2 years, so the water company eventually installed a new connection to the main but had to come through my house instead of around the back where the old pipe work was). So I'm wondering if it's the attic that's got super cold, seeing as it was -10C last night, even if the house was at 10C.

Baffled. But yeah, I had more success with bills with keeping the temperature steady and not letting it drop too low or turning it off overnight, which seems counterintuitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Seriously tho how is he still alive? He's like 90 and spent half the 70s wrecked on the same tranquillizers he used to nonce. loving die you old oval office I want to watch Chinatown.

edit: jokes aside, it's the money

Convex fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 16, 2022