Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Orange Devil posted:

Gotta go with Robert Mueller and the rule of law on that one tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Incredible

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

When they announced the new checkmark scheme on Twitter, my first thought was of this woman and her crusade to get verified.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Did this woman not quit working in Defence for her podcast? She was a manager in the civil service iirc

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

cenotaph posted:

When they announced the new checkmark scheme on Twitter, my first thought was of this woman and her crusade to get verified.

She doesn't have the golden super checkmark though lmaooooooo

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

iCe-CuBe. posted:

Polish official, go gently caress yourself

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

iCe-CuBe. posted:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://mobile.twitter.com/mtbBrski/status/1602748090217275393

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

iCe-CuBe. posted:

Polish official, blow up yourself

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

iCe-CuBe. posted:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

Did this woman not quit working in Defence for her podcast? She was a manager in the civil service iirc

middle management at a VA office in san diego; quit before they could can her after finding out she was abusing sick leave days (for ptsd no less lmao) to go on podcast tours lol

though her dad was air force intelligence that died from agent orange exposure lmao

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Orange Devil posted:

This story ends with the Russians just using some linen wraps doesn't it?

the red army in fact also made an absolute pig's ear out of women's uniforms and support during the war. it took a pretty long time for ideas like 'their clothes should fit at all' or 'they should be provided hygeine products' to go anywhere

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The US army doesn’t standard issue bras, but during pre-deployment fielding, women get issued sports bras and can order replacement sports bras via the supply system. Men can also get/order underwear this way.

Generally, these are personal items that people simply buy on their own 99.9% of the time, and a good bra fit can already be a challenge based on brand and style and body type, even for personal shopping.

The army currently has an ongoing effort for a more modern athletic bra design, but there’s no real desire to get into designing a government issue bra for just wearing in garrison or with a dress uniform.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mlmp08 posted:

The US army doesn’t standard issue bras, but during pre-deployment fielding, women get issued sports bras and can order replacement sports bras via the supply system. Men can also get/order underwear this way.

Generally, these are personal items that people simply buy on their own 99.9% of the time, and a good bra fit can already be a challenge based on brand and style and body type, even for personal shopping.

The army currently has an ongoing effort for a more modern athletic bra design, but there’s no real desire to get into designing a government issue bra for just wearing in garrison or with a dress uniform.

how can i order one of those sick warm looking army peacoats

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

how can i order one of those sick warm looking army peacoats

https://www.harrysarmysurplus.net/7270-basic-issue-navy-style-peacoat-navy-or-black.html

a hundo is a pretty great price

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255755066488

the style of this one sucks but i like the metal star buttons

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Bulgarian greatcoats are very warm if you don't mind the smell of whatever horrible chemical they doused them in

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

wqhy would i get a navy peracoat im not looking to suck off seamen

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

These are the original RN ones, still the best in the world, they can be made to fit and to order, but they’re priced accordingly.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

AnimeIsTrash posted:

wqhy would i get a navy peracoat im not looking to suck off seamen

Your loss

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Buglord
you used to be able to get fancy soviet surplus winter coats and uniform pieces for cheap but then etsy banned all russian and belarusian accounts. the surviving ukranian ones are three times as expensive and you cant track them because the postal system is all hosed up

the russian guy i got some boots from gave me a tiny picture of his cat and 10 kopecs to apologize for a three day delay in actually sending it out and i think my current ukranian coat in-transit is going to come with a severed human finger or something after disappearing in kiev for a month

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I got a soviet m88 coat a few years ago and with the padded cotton liner it's warm and comfortable in the comparatively pathetic British winter and the stains give it character

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Malleum posted:

you used to be able to get fancy soviet surplus winter coats and uniform pieces for cheap but then etsy banned all russian and belarusian accounts. the surviving ukranian ones are three times as expensive and you cant track them because the postal system is all hosed up

the russian guy i got some boots from gave me a tiny picture of his cat and 10 kopecs to apologize for a three day delay in actually sending it out and i think my current ukranian coat in-transit is going to come with a severed human finger or something after disappearing in kiev for a month

I think you could avoid a lot of trouble and blood by going to TJ Maxx

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Buglord

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

I got a soviet m88 coat a few years ago and with the padded cotton liner it's warm and comfortable in the comparatively pathetic British winter and the stains give it character

afghanka buddies :respek:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There isn't a Russian version of etsy?

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

gradenko_2000 posted:

There isn't a Russian version of etsy?

Nyetsy

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

yellowcar posted:

middle management at a VA office in san diego; quit before they could can her after finding out she was abusing sick leave days (for ptsd no less lmao) to go on podcast tours lol

though her dad was air force intelligence that died from agent orange exposure lmao

:owned:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

yellowcar posted:

lmfao

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Malleum posted:

I think the Russians are even more insane about cat posting than westerners these days.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

I think the Russians are even more insane about cat posting than westerners these days.

Yeah, there are some very interesting splits happening in Russian society especially the growth of straight edge vegetarians.

But if you want to be the perfect Muscovite liberal you also have to mention how superior you are to people from the regions, the that you are going to be going to see all your best friends in Georgia/Turkey/the EU next year, and how you get all your news from the BBC and Euronews. That said, not all can obtain that level of perfection.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 04:36 on Dec 16, 2022

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol remember that, was it a Baffler article? About the cosmopolitan art people who live in Berlin but disdain the implication that they’re from there, and fell into a depression when covid impaired travel because they couldn’t move from scene to scene?

It was titled after and included passages from some Weimar guy who did nothing at all to resist the Nazis but killed himself because the end of the days of drifting between Vienna and Paris was unbearable.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 04:01 on Dec 16, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

lol remember that, was it a Baffler article? About the cosmopolitan art people who live in Berlin but disdain the implication that they’re from there, and fell into a depression when covid impaired travel because they couldn’t move from scene to scene?

It was titled after and included passages from some Weimar guy who did nothing at all to resist the Nazis but killed himself because the end of the days of drifting between Vienna and Paris was unbearable.

lol

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Wasn't there any woman in the committee for bra design who could tell them it was obviously going to be a massive boondoggle to try to standardize bras?

There probably was and nobody listened.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

yellowcar posted:

good. I love when TROOPS die

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
That Pentagon Wars scene but with a bra insteady of the Bradley

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

supersnowman posted:

Wasn't there any woman in the committee for bra design who could tell them it was obviously going to be a massive boondoggle to try to standardize bras?

There probably was and nobody listened.

"wasn't there anyone who told the military they were about to embark on a massive boondoggle???"

lol

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cuttlefush posted:

The losses are…within tolerances for the x-2700 Ravenclaw vtol brassiere

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 07:43 on Dec 16, 2022

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cuttlefush posted:

lol

There were women involved, no doubt, but saying “you can’t standardize a uniform item”, essentially “because of women” (I know that’s not it) immediately after women were allowed to do more within the military couldn’t have been popular.

After the Supreme Court ordered them to allow Sikh Religious dress they standardized that:

Why should women be any different?

Or check out the annex to female hair standards, and figure out what must have gone into that behind the scenes, added in like 2005.

Guess which styles were authorized as the result of a court case.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 06:12 on Dec 16, 2022

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

gradenko_2000 posted:

"wasn't there anyone who told the military they were about to embark on a massive boondoggle???"

lol

The whole point was to have a variety of sizes of boondoggle.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I find it amusing the Canadian armed forces designed a whole new knife that is more similar to a traditional Sikh knife when I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter from a religious standpoint. I wonder if any Sikhs have tried to use a standardized sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Weka posted:

I find it amusing the Canadian armed forces designed a whole new knife that is more similar to a traditional Sikh knife when I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter from a religious standpoint. I wonder if any Sikhs have tried to use a standardized sword.

the kirpan is a knife.