Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I can't wrap my mind around the concept of NFTs, even after hearing a NPR broadcast desperately trying to describe them in layman's terms. But then again, I don't get cryptocurrency either.

Without the blockchain mumbojumbo, an NFT is like a title or deed. Most objects's ownership is documented by possession--thats your shirt and society knows it because it's on your back or in your bag or dresser or whatever. But some things are intrinsically difficult to physically possess: a house, a car, a percentage of a business's, securities and bonds, a timeshare, the right to sell taxi services, etc. To make these easier to transact, the state enforces ownership through associated certificates, often called titles, deeds, or medallions, but they're all just a subset of certificate that allows me to hand you a right or a ton of grain or whatever.

On one hand, it's just a piece of paper, valuable for it's ability to be written on or cushion fragile objects. But when backed with the power of law and custom, it's worth thousands of dollars, can have very real effects on the ability to possess, buy, or sale the assigned vehicle, and effects on a person's liberty in the case of forgeries or illegal transactions.

An NFT is that, but created outside the bounds of and not recognized by the state. It's a title, made overly complicated, stripped of law and custom and therefore it's associated real effects. Also stripped of the real values inherent to a physical piece of paper. Also, it's usually being used to certify ownership of nearly valueless objects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
It's also important to point out that most NTFs you see have nothing to do with their artistic representation. It might look like the Mona Lisa, but in most cases it's just "this is number 1, show the picture at my.lovely.web.site/nfts/1.jpg.

"what if the website goes down" then the image doesn't exist. thankfully people are all too happy to right click it and save it elsewhere, where you can use it without the nft

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
lol

https://twitter.com/bakedalaska/status/1603475492618702848?s=46&t=m7avUc1UkeNycNDNmT07og

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Once you realize that NFTs are basically the answer to "well, what can you buy with your crypto?", a full explanation isn't really required. Sure there are some non-crypto NFTs, but those are just hangars-on.

brains
May 12, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

NFTs are a completely fake idea so any attempt to rationally explain them is doomed to fail. The questions start and end with "Wait, how is an NFT JPEG any different from a non-NFT identical JPEG?"
they somehow managed to make something even more worthless as it's just a link to a jpeg. and, as mentioned, links are ephemeral, especially those hosted by fly-by-night crypto shops, so a whole raft of NFTs already point to dead links.

people paid real dollars for this.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

lmao, even

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

brains posted:

they somehow managed to make something even more worthless as it's just a link to a jpeg. and, as mentioned, links are ephemeral, especially those hosted by fly-by-night crypto shops, so a whole raft of NFTs already point to dead links.

people paid real dollars for this.

Nothing new.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Star_Registry

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_titles_of_nobility

https://nycwalks.com/blog/the-brooklyn-bridge-if-you-believe-that-i-have-a-bridge-in-brooklyn-to-sell-to-you/

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Every smart investor knows that high risk brings high reward, so 100% risk must equal infinite reward :downsgun:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I never thought I'd see the day when bakedalaska was provably less dumb than someone else.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Zamujasa posted:

It's also important to point out that most NTFs you see have nothing to do with their artistic representation. It might look like the Mona Lisa, but in most cases it's just "this is number 1, show the picture at my.lovely.web.site/nfts/1.jpg.

"what if the website goes down" then the image doesn't exist. thankfully people are all too happy to right click it and save it elsewhere, where you can use it without the nft

You can actually have the art stored within whatever you want to call the mechanisms of crypto so it's inherent to the token but most nfts just... don't

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/DailyNewsEgypt/status/1603537024740474883

Biden just can't stop gladhanding the Middle Eastern kleptocrats we call "allies."

Sisi has been a loving disaster of a president. He's way, way WAY worse than Mubarak ever was in terms of human rights and political freedoms.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
New batch of COVID rapid antigen tests is available via USPS now.

Beware that these tests are less reliable post‐Omicron than they once were. A positive test is highly suggestive of infection, but a negative test, especially in the absence of symptoms, doesn’t say much.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

New batch of COVID rapid antigen tests is available via USPS now.

Beware that these tests are less reliable post‐Omicron than they once were. A positive test is highly suggestive of infection, but a negative test, especially in the absence of symptoms, doesn’t say much.

I've had two bad respiratory infections in the past year, including one where I was absolutely convinced I had COVID. I've never tested positive on multiple PCR or rapid tests- it's quite possible I'm one of those people who doesn't test positive. What's weird is that my wife got COVID and we live in such small quarters that isolation was impossible, and I never got it from her either. Either way, I ordered my tests, so thank you, Brandon!

Meanwhile

https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/1603538659797602305

Lol, lmao, etc.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Couldn't that run afoul of antitrust laws?

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

A.o.D. posted:

Couldn't that run afoul of antitrust laws?

Does that man in any way shape or form resemble a man who has ever seen consequences in his life?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/BoyingtonLaura/status/1603554293864452097?s=20&t=zbti8ja0X-Nd6Z3DlUbCZA

From what I understand these are people that report on Elon negatively.

e: couple more

https://twitter.com/ImpossiblyBossy/status/1603556642402209792?s=20&t=zbti8ja0X-Nd6Z3DlUbCZA

That Works fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 16, 2022

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/KnowNothingTV/status/1603546968105664514?s=20&t=V_vUXi7a5i4x9sAMnyQ7Lw

Rhodesian Lowtax taking out his critics and the biggest antifascist information clearinghouse tonight.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Elon's angry that Barbara Streisand has her own effect and wants dibs on it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Boerbro Starsand

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/fart/status/1603555197393186816

yep! MOD SASS IS A PERMABAN

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Twitter may not have mod sass anymore, but it will always have sod mass. :dadjoke:

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
And yet journalists and outlets *still* won’t delete their Twitter accounts.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hot take: white checkmark > blue checkmark > yellow checkmark

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I'm going to say that it is actually good because it gives people fewer and fewer excuses for using the platform and is forcing journalists to find something else.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'm glad he's not American-born so he can't even think about being president.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Hot take: white checkmark > blue checkmark > yellow checkmark

priests, cops, and forklift drivers

Did I get the thin lines right

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There’s no mechanism to stop an ineligible person from appearing on ballots and ascending to the office.

The only court in which it can be fought is the court of public opinion.

States could make laws about this, and some were proposed circa 2011 on account of the Notorious Barack Hussein Obama, but AFAICT none took effect.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/KnowNothingTV/status/1603546968105664514?s=20&t=V_vUXi7a5i4x9sAMnyQ7Lw

Rhodesian Lowtax taking out his critics and the biggest antifascist information clearinghouse tonight.

Bellingcat reported on that video Elon claimed was proof of harassment so we'll see how wild this gets. Elon takes Putin's calls so.....

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/keithedwards/status/1603183073113563137

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Platystemon posted:

There’s no mechanism to stop an ineligible person from appearing on ballots and ascending to the office.

Other than Congress and the Supreme Court?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Tiny Timbs posted:

NFTs are a completely fake idea so any attempt to rationally explain them is doomed to fail. The questions start and end with "Wait, how is an NFT JPEG any different from a non-NFT identical JPEG?"

The original use case was this:

"I make a digital art drawing of a big tiddy weebo boi and sell it for $800 on commission. The art is encrypted with an NFT, so the owner has a cryptographic signature that proves they own the actual original art, in case they want to sell the original, or verify to Tshirt printers that they own the content that they're putting on a shirt for sale."

Note that this is a valid but stupid use for cryptographic keys as proof of ownership when copyright law comes into play.

What actually happened:
*Someone post the it can't be that stupid you must be explaining it wrong sticker*

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Musk really must have been shook that even going to a gig by fellow TERF Chappelle got him jeered at. It would have happened eventually (the suppression of anyone not a cult member), but lol that in this universe/timeline it was a drat Chappelle act that pushed him over.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

M_Gargantua posted:

The original use case was this:

"I make a digital art drawing of a big tiddy weebo boi and sell it for $800 on commission. The art is encrypted with an NFT, so the owner has a cryptographic signature that proves they own the actual original art, in case they want to sell the original, or verify to Tshirt printers that they own the content that they're putting on a shirt for sale."

Note that this is a valid but stupid use for cryptographic keys as proof of ownership when copyright law comes into play.

What actually happened:
*Someone post the it can't be that stupid you must be explaining it wrong sticker*

My favorite is Seth green making a terrible show with one, it getting stolen and him canning the show because he didn't "own" it anymore

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

Other than Congress
lol

Stultus Maximus posted:

and the Supreme Court?
lmao even

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Like technically if you were good with tech NFTs would all be the original vector graphic, and you'd only ever show people jpgs, so you actually have and can verify and item that is worth more than you can right click save. Marginally less stupid but still stupid.

Support your local artists.

I got some rad kissing skulls where the tongues are electric eels acrylic on canvas for $$$$. Worth it

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I commissioned a digital drawing of my friend playing frisbee with a cow, drawn by a goon for like $30. Truly, I am a patron saint of the arts.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

So when is twitter dying? There was tons of talk about how gutting the staff etc would ruin it swiftly and that World Cup was going to knock it offline etc and its still seems to be chugging along. What's up with that?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

That Works posted:

So when is twitter dying? There was tons of talk about how gutting the staff etc would ruin it swiftly and that World Cup was going to knock it offline etc and its still seems to be chugging along. What's up with that?

General guess is that the twittertrust is devoting all the resources to keeping the thing up. There are lots of reports of poo poo-website degradations, but not anything that would take the thing offline. Stuff like no updates being made to basic coding, no new non-revenue features, and so on.

After the highly public outages in the past, the previous people likely fail-safed it to gently caress and back - like a car with an utterly massive gas tank. It's on empty, but there's still 10% left, so Elon just feels vindicated that HATERS SAID I WOULD BE OFFLINE BY NOW

As for dying, it's just on an expresstrain to be the 13th different chud-dominated social network that nobody wants to be on (including chuds). Best case is that it probably stays online, but with lots of creature comforts broken and a poo poo overall community of muskovites.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

facialimpediment posted:

General guess is that the twittertrust is devoting all the resources to keeping the thing up. There are lots of reports of poo poo-website degradations, but not anything that would take the thing offline. Stuff like no updates being made to basic coding, no new non-revenue features, and so on.

After the highly public outages in the past, the previous people likely fail-safed it to gently caress and back - like a car with an utterly massive gas tank. It's on empty, but there's still 10% left, so Elon just feels vindicated that HATERS SAID I WOULD BE OFFLINE BY NOW

As for dying, it's just on an expresstrain to be the 13th different chud-dominated social network that nobody wants to be on (including chuds). Best case is that it probably stays online, but with lots of creature comforts broken and a poo poo overall community of muskovites.

Tonight's wave of banning basically everyone that I followed should speed things along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Musk has engineered a really impressive number of simultaneous existential crises for Twitter.