Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Comb Your Beard posted:

What's the best quality to price ratio on a less juniper-y gin? Citadelle? I'm eyeing that one. I've heard St George Terroir and Botanist are good, a little more pricey.

Ever since chugging too much Bombay Sapphire in college I've had an aversion. Looking to slowly get into it.

I love The Botanist (it's made in Islay, so of course it's proper). But I'll also do a nice clean Hendrick's martini any day.

I'm wanting to get into the other Hendrick's variants, but I've so far avoided spending the money on a gamble bottle, since I haven't seen them on a back bar yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I tried one of the Hendricks varieties and wasn't super into it, but I'm also not crazy about the regular stuff, so YMMV

Carillon
May 9, 2014

For gin discovery, I love The Gin is In. Linked is their flavor profile searcher, so you're able to dial in the different aspects that you might like. Play around with less juniper and more herbal or floral and you might find some interesting stuff.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I like Roku a lot and it's very reasonably priced around here.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
If anyone can find Silent Pool gin, buy it and post about it. Everything I’ve read seems like it’s exactly the kind of floral/citrus gin that’s light on juniper that I like. Not distributed anywhere near me though.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

My "always have these on my shelf" gins have settled on 135 East (awesome Japanese gin, dominant botanicals are yuzu, coriander and sansho peppers, plus a bit of sake to really smooth it out) and Plymouth (slightly sweeter than a London dry but not overly so).

Plus a bottle of Barr Hill for those cold nights.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I usually alternate between Roku and Hendricks, but I'm not huge on gin. Maybe I'll try a more herbaly one in the spring.

I just had a holiday game night where I made coquito. It was delicious and made for a good holiday toast. The only hitch was that I added shredded coconut, and my blender wasn't up to the task of pureeing it very well. So the texture was slightly chewy, but it still went over pretty well. I was gifted a bottle of local gin, so I guess I'm set on gin for a while, and a bottle of Malort. I had never had Malort before. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but that taste definitely sticks around for a while

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I like all gins, but I always find myself coming back to Bombay, Beefeater, and Tanqueray depending on what handle is cheaper when I'm buying it. And sometimes I even go back to Gordon's. That's just the specific taste I want in my martinis and negronis and such.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Beefeater is the king of gin and it’s like $5 a gallon at Costco.

If you don’t like juniper we can’t be friends.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I do like the interesting gins when I want to focus on them specifically (just neat/on ice), but in a cocktail it seems like a waste to use something really unique and characterful.

Unless it's Brockmans and I want something to taste like blackberries, or Empress because I want it to be blue

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
It's kind of funny that the common, easy to find gins are all quite good and the common, easy to find rums are mostly loving garbage.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Chemmy posted:

Beefeater is the king of gin and it’s like $5 a gallon at Costco.

If you don’t like juniper we can’t be friends.

I usually get a cheap handle of tanqueray from Costco to put into mixers

I have dull tastebuds and I can’t tell the difference between gins in most cocktails but my bartender friend with amazing tastebuds insists I use beefeater so I got a handle at a 2 for 1 sale at BevMo

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Yeah subtle differences don’t come through for me either unless it’s something like a martini. I love a Fords 50/50 martini with an absinthe or sherry rinse. But once you start adding lime cordial or Campari or whatever it’s like just give me the most juniper possible or it’s going to get lost.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I cannot find Cruzan blackstrap rum anywhere near me anymore, for like the last 6 months or so. It used to be plentiful. Also I live in NYC so it's not like I have limited options for stores, dunno what's going on with that! I miss my Cruzan...

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I have similarly had zero luck finding Hamilton 86 or any of the lower-end Rhum JM (or any other agricole aside from Barbancourt 5-star) at any of the places around me. I'm in the NJ suburbs so there's plenty of smaller shops but no luck yet.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I failed to find El Dorado today so rum failure pals.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
My local premium liquor store has a sale on something called Torres Magdala orange liqueur. Has anyone tried that? They're selling it for like $10.00 off from its normal price and I'm almost out of Triple Sec as it stands.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

A God drat Ghost posted:

I cannot find Cruzan blackstrap rum anywhere near me anymore, for like the last 6 months or so. It used to be plentiful. Also I live in NYC so it's not like I have limited options for stores, dunno what's going on with that! I miss my Cruzan...

Cruzan blackstrap comes and goes due to hurricanes loving up the islands regularly, but the effects can take 6 months to a year to manifest on shelves

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Fart Car '97 posted:

Cruzan blackstrap comes and goes due to hurricanes loving up the islands regularly, but the effects can take 6 months to a year to manifest on shelves

That's interesting, I suppose next time it comes around again I'll have to stock up extra.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Today I made an Americano. 1 oz Campari, 1 oz Dolin Sweet Vermouth, topped with store brand club soda.

Not bad but I think the Dolin isn’t up to the task, maybe Carpano or Cocchi would do better against the bitterness of Campari. And I think a mineral water like Topo Chico would work better than plain club soda.

B-, would make again. Definitely going in my summer drink rotation.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Using a rubber wine stopper

It seems undersized for the cognac bottle

It fits, but I had to mash it in a little

Is there a better solution? All the stoppers I see on Amazon are wine bottle sized

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Today I made an Americano. 1 oz Campari, 1 oz Dolin Sweet Vermouth, topped with store brand club soda.

Not bad but I think the Dolin isn’t up to the task, maybe Carpano or Cocchi would do better against the bitterness of Campari. And I think a mineral water like Topo Chico would work better than plain club soda.

B-, would make again. Definitely going in my summer drink rotation.
Reminder that preparing this without an orange twist is a misdemeanor.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I do cocktail recipes every Friday in our works slack. My boss compiled all of them into a book that got sent out to all the employees in our christmas swag pack. Its fun that this dumb hobby got me this :kimchi:

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender
My love affair with four ingredient equal ratio cocktails continues. This is v good:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Barbelith posted:

My love affair with four ingredient equal ratio cocktails continues. This is v good:

Ha! I just made this last night and it was great

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Which app is that?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Gorman Thomas posted:

Which app is that?

Mixel

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Gracias, will definitely come in handy for the holidays.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Liquor store haul: in addition to replenishing my basic stock and getting some absinthe (ordinaire, they didn't have st. george), I went in on some mescal from a brand called Derrumbes (since it was the cheapest of the 3 brands the store had). It's not as smokey as other mescal I've had in mixed drinks, but it'll do very nicely.

Are there any mezcal specific cocktails? most of the ones I've seen are just tequila drinks with mezcal, which is fine with me since I can get down with a mezcal margarita.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

I use Montenegro for the amaro

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
You know I tried to justify spending $40 on some Montenegro but it just wasn't in the budget this go around, so Amaro is currently out. I allow myself one weird bottle per trip and it was either the Amaro or the Absinthe. Next time baby.

EDIT: Holy cow, the Angostura 5 Year rum that I bought it a delight. Its like a Caribbean hand grenade in my mouth.

Strange Matter fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 16, 2022

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I was at Trader Joe's earlier and saw the Laphraoig 10. While in the checkout line I spur-of-the-momented it. My first bottle of scotch. Oddly, it made me feel kinda mature buying it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Strange Matter posted:

You know I tried to justify spending $40 on some Montenegro but it just wasn't in the budget this go around, so Amaro is currently out. I allow myself one weird bottle per trip and it was either the Amaro or the Absinthe. Next time baby.

EDIT: Holy cow, the Angostura 5 Year rum that I bought it a delight. Its like a Caribbean hand grenade in my mouth.

Hmm, Montenegro shouldn't be that much. It's $30 or so everywhere I've seen it.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Strange Matter posted:

Liquor store haul: in addition to replenishing my basic stock and getting some absinthe (ordinaire, they didn't have st. george), I went in on some mescal from a brand called Derrumbes (since it was the cheapest of the 3 brands the store had). It's not as smokey as other mescal I've had in mixed drinks, but it'll do very nicely.

Are there any mezcal specific cocktails? most of the ones I've seen are just tequila drinks with mezcal, which is fine with me since I can get down with a mezcal margarita.

Tequila is mezcal, made specifically with blue agave. Substitute it anywhere you would use tequila.

Waltzing Along posted:

I was at Trader Joe's earlier and saw the Laphraoig 10. While in the checkout line I spur-of-the-momented it. My first bottle of scotch. Oddly, it made me feel kinda mature buying it.

A good first scotch, real easy sipper.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Tequila is mezcal, made specifically with blue agave. Substitute it anywhere you would use tequila.

Well, and not smoked, right? Smoke is what makes mezcal mezcal, flavor-wise.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Toebone posted:

I use Montenegro for the amaro

Not to reopen amari substitution chat, but Montenegro and Sfumato Rabarbaro are in totally different categories. It’s worth getting a bottle if you want to try the drink as written, Sfumato Rabarbaro is unique and good.

Montenegro does pair well with tequila and mezcal though, I’m sure the sub is a good drink too.

E: in general, mezcal is usable anywhere you’d use tequila, but I think it really shines in spirit forward drinks, especially bitter ones (Oaxaca Old Fashioned, mezcal Negroni, mezcal White Negroni, Mezcaletti, etc). That said, neat with an orange slice on the side might still be the best.

Scythe fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 16, 2022

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Data Graham posted:

Well, and not smoked, right? Smoke is what makes mezcal mezcal, flavor-wise.

Nah, mezcal is simply distilled spirits made from agave. Most (that aren’t labeled as tequila) are smoky, due to how the piñas are cooked, but smokiness isn’t the defining factor of mezcal.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Yeah apparently the stuff I bought is cooked in an above ground oven instead of underground, so it doesn't have as much of the smoke. Kinda like drinking regular scotch vs islay scotch. Really good though, excited to make margs with it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Notes on a Dom Perignon cuvée from 1988: the foil crumbled into sticky dust on my fingers.

cork let out an anemic “puh”sound instead of the typical explosive pop.

There was some fizzling along the edges of the cork, calling into question the integrity of its seal.

The yeast and bacteria have already picked the bones of this wine clean and left little to tomb raiders such as myself.

Notes of watered down raisin or prune juice.

Carbonation at the level of a 5 day old 2 liter bottle of coke in the fridge.

No acidity to speak of, neither dry nor sweet

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
That’s a shame. I had a 2012 last NYE and it was great.