Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Yeah the award travel counts toward status thing is a little wacky. They must be trying to draw down some big mileage liabilities hanging out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

How much did you need to spend to hit it or whatever?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My 2up boss didn't think I needed the punishment of a 2-stop trip home so I just spunked another $2k on a ticket via Paris.

Insane ticket prices. This always happens when this conference goes to smaller cities, everything booked solid and everyone flying business on the company card.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah the award travel counts toward status thing is a little wacky. They must be trying to draw down some big mileage liabilities hanging out there.

I thought it was just to get demand back up... I have so many goddamned SkyMiles now but no actual time to use them on trips. I'm going to start trying to buy upgrades / stuff for family to burn them down before they get devalued again.

I'm even considering throwing the ~100K or whatever for an executive membership because I have 1.3 million and I'll make that back by February next year in two flights.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
AA loving with the loyalty point poo poo again:
https://thepointsguy.com/news/american-airlines-loyalty-point-rewards-devaluations/amp/

Now making Plat or EP isn’t enough to get the free perks, gotta go to 175k/250k to get them moving forward

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

movax posted:

I thought it was just to get demand back up... I have so many goddamned SkyMiles now but no actual time to use them on trips. I'm going to start trying to buy upgrades / stuff for family to burn them down before they get devalued again.

I'm even considering throwing the ~100K or whatever for an executive membership because I have 1.3 million and I'll make that back by February next year in two flights.

I am a little annoyed as I have to juggle between GUCs, skyclub, and GM for my wife. Not enough choice benefits to go around anymore.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Be gone, segment requirements.

Pretty decent changes overall, I’m surprised they’re outlining that high of LPs.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Anza Borrego posted:

AA loving with the loyalty point poo poo again:
https://thepointsguy.com/news/american-airlines-loyalty-point-rewards-devaluations/amp/

Now making Plat or EP isn’t enough to get the free perks, gotta go to 175k/250k to get them moving forward

Given the scope of the change, I'm not sure they'd need to tinker with it once they actually see how the chips fell.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Ugh AA breaking my heart. Honestly no way I hit that kind of points spend unless I use it in lieu of my corporate AMEX. I would have easily qualed as plat this year on the old system but definitely did not hit the new weird loyalty points threshold. I’ll probably never hit exp ever again since my company has really tightened up on work travel and completely blocked any international trips post lockdown.

I’m considering switching to United since I’m ORD based, but I use the LGA every half hour shuttle so often…

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Clients and I are stoked that the SWUs are back without minimum segments. They love fighting to use them for friends / whoever vs just using their wealth to buy them an upgrade from the jump, but what do I know?

The segment warriors are just from a previous era unfortunately. The world has passed them by. I feel bad for y’all.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 16, 2022

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Yep, based on my segment warrior/GSA fare travel this year, I earned on average 435 AA loyalty points per segment, with no status tier (my pre-Covid Platinum expired in March, right as travel was picking up again for me). So hitting 40K loyalty points for Gold with no current status would require 92 segments, lol.

The loyalty points being subject to the multiplier is honestly what annoys me the most, since it makes it harder to earn the status initially than to keep it. At least the current fiscal year GSA city pairs have me mostly flying Delta to most of my destinations (who I still have been able to keep some status on) but who knows who I’ll be flying after 30 September.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I was on a DL segment warrior pace earlier in the year but it looks like I’ll wind up at just 103. I live at a Delta focus city and most of my flights don’t have connections. :suicide:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I like the gift EXP being public but now that it’s guaranteed at a clear threshold and EXP is a tough mountain to climb, I wonder what people will pay for it.

It was always that “secret” CK benefit only given to some folks previously

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

Yep, based on my segment warrior/GSA fare travel this year, I earned on average 435 AA loyalty points per segment, with no status tier (my pre-Covid Platinum expired in March, right as travel was picking up again for me). So hitting 40K loyalty points for Gold with no current status would require 92 segments, lol.

The loyalty points being subject to the multiplier is honestly what annoys me the most, since it makes it harder to earn the status initially than to keep it. At least the current fiscal year GSA city pairs have me mostly flying Delta to most of my destinations (who I still have been able to keep some status on) but who knows who I’ll be flying after 30 September.

It feels so terrible no matter which mainline carrier people choose now.

UA is saturated with corporate travellers from their mega hubs in the biggest cities. DL has all the corporate contracts and loyal fliers. And AA would have all the leftovers but they just blew up their frequent flyer program for something I still can't really wrap my head around, seemingly to reward just credit card spenders.

I get the gamification aspect but I've never seen the programs be so complicated ever. Are passengers actually happy with this? Is this driving behavior the airlines want?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

i fly airplanes posted:

It feels so terrible no matter which mainline carrier people choose now.

UA is saturated with corporate travellers from their mega hubs in the biggest cities. DL has all the corporate contracts and loyal fliers. And AA would have all the leftovers but they just blew up their frequent flyer program for something I still can't really wrap my head around, seemingly to reward just credit card spenders.

I get the gamification aspect but I've never seen the programs be so complicated ever. Are passengers actually happy with this? Is this driving behavior the airlines want?

It drives ancillary revenue, a narcotic to which airline executives are hopelessly addicted. It's not about loyalty anymore.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

My understanding of the AA program makes it seem easier than ever. Spend about 18k on AA flights, get exp. I guess it’s a little more complex if you are starting from 0 due to the multiplyer but that looks like to me, numbers are approx because math)

$6k to get to gold from no status first year
$12430 approx to get to plat from no status first year
$18660 to get to pplat from no status first year
$27160 to get to exp from no status first year

No mileage requirement, minimum segments, etc. But someone please correct me if they’re wrong.

Once you’re exp spend $18k the next year to keep it and don’t spend more than $6500 per ticket.

I think the credit card spend is really a gimmick for the lower tiers of traveler, but I don’t have the data on how much the average person spends on their Aviator Mastercard or how many businesses use it to fund company purchases.

I dislike AA for many reasons but the program simplified to whoever spends the most with AA gets the most status and I generally understand that policy and probably agree with it. I do feel bad and understand the position of folks who do short flights every week & don’t pay much per tickets though, I just flat couldn’t do that anymore as a grind.

.This change also gives me the freedom if we ever lost CK that I could easily make EXP just by the travel I can control and if clients insist on other airlines, more charters, whatever I’m not worried about hitting the spend.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 18, 2022

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

I dislike AA for many reasons but the program simplified to whoever spends the most with AA gets the most status and I generally understand that policy and probably agree with it. I do feel bad and understand the position of folks who do short flights every week & don’t pay much per tickets though, I just flat couldn’t do that anymore as a grind.

As a counterpoint, people who are spending thousands on a ticket already get what little "benefits" status can grant on those flights. If I'm a paid F purchaser I'm buying on schedule and service, not to get 10k flight pesos.

I'd think that the point of the program would be to turn the hundreds of thousands of marginal flight purchasers to your airline over the competitors, as full flights drive bigger schedules in a virtuous cycle. Only a few fliers can move a flight from a loss to a decent little profit. Especially if all I have to give to make the sale is a wine split or letting them on the plane 2 minutes earlier.

I suspect now CC revenue is so lucrative that it's overpowered whatever other business objectives could be had. Pareto principal is a challenge for many executives.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FunOne posted:

I suspect now CC revenue is so lucrative that it's overpowered whatever other business objectives could be had. Pareto principal is a challenge for many executives.

This seems the most likely; it wasn't that long ago that the flight attendants were walking the aisles brandishing cc signup forms shortly after takeoff.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Midjack posted:

This seems the most likely; it wasn't that long ago that the flight attendants were walking the aisles brandishing cc signup forms shortly after takeoff.

That’s been happening for years and is still a thing.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Anza Borrego posted:

That’s been happening for years and is still a thing.

Right, and they wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't free money for the airline.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

FunOne posted:

As a counterpoint, people who are spending thousands on a ticket already get what little "benefits" status can grant on those flights. If I'm a paid F purchaser I'm buying on schedule and service, not to get 10k flight pesos.

The exec plat line is the best benefit imo. It doesn’t matter what cabin you’ve paid for when it goes sideways and you need to grab what remaining inventory there is.

Also that’s why we consolidate travel to AA for our clients. Schedule and service yes, but service extends to my ability to fix a problem if not before it happens as quickly after it happens as possible. That’s where status comes in.

Obviously CK even more so than exp but exp still has better agents than the general line.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 18, 2022

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Midjack posted:

It’s worse and more intrusive than ever.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

i fly airplanes posted:

It feels so terrible no matter which mainline carrier people choose now. :words:

Personally, I'm surprised how many people are still traveling for business post-pandemic. I guess I'm biased since I'm in tech but ever since covid WfH with Teams, Zoom, Slack, etc. has pretty much entirely removed the need for the majority of my business travel.

With all the benefits going away too... it's becoming less attractive, but I do wonder are Asian or European airlines any better?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Personally, I'm surprised how many people are still traveling for business post-pandemic. I guess I'm biased since I'm in tech but ever since covid WfH with Teams, Zoom, Slack, etc. has pretty much entirely removed the need for the majority of my business travel.

With all the benefits going away too... it's becoming less attractive, but I do wonder are Asian or European airlines any better?

I do certification classes for adults and looking over our numbers, we find online learning doesn't produce the same level of successful outcome as in person classes. We aren't planning to get rid of online classes, and we're holding off in person classes till after Feb since it looks we're looking at a new COVID spike, but for us, it doesn't do as well. So I'm back on the road teaching.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

It's a lot of leisure travel right now, which is also why lounges are so crowded. The travel mix is different and more profitable than ever.

I am likely going to ditch Delta. I just had to spend an hour for Sky Priority check in at LAX to drop bags off because of international and doc check.

Delta One section wouldn't take my lowly Diamond Million Miler bum because it's not a Delta One route. It just doesn't make sense to fly DL as a top tier elite when UA has separate Premier 1K and AA has Flagship check-in.

Asian and European carriers are better (notwithstanding the continuous strikes and meltdowns in Europe) but they won't fly you domestically.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

i fly airplanes posted:

I am likely going to ditch Delta. I just had to spend an hour for Sky Priority check in at LAX to drop bags off because of international and doc check.

Delta One section wouldn't take my lowly Diamond Million Miler bum because it's not a Delta One route. It just doesn't make sense to fly DL as a top tier elite when UA has separate Premier 1K and AA has Flagship check-in.

This is frustrating to hear.

I would be careful hitching up to AA. I can’t see Flagship First check in surviving when they’re cutting Flagship First as a product and I also can’t see them opening it up to all Flagship Business and having it be worthwhile.

I don’t like the idea of add ons for premium, paid cabins but I know that I’d pay for Flagship First check in for clients that don’t have Private Suite.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I've never really had to wait at LAX priority. I've done AA Flagship First checkin at LAX and while it looks cool and impressive, functionally it's just two desks. The capacity could easily get overwhelmed if you had a bunch of people checking in at once.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah, moving to the front of the precheck line is nice as well

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-incredible-37-page-guide-for-staffing-sen-kyrsten-sinema

quote:

The staffing memo makes clear that Sinema keeps a robust travel schedule for fundraising, official business, and personal commitments. The section on how to book her airplane seats are among the document’s most elaborate:

“KS has Executive Platinum status on AMERICAN AIRLINES and sometimes receives an automatic upgrade to first class. Do not rely on this; in the event that she does not get upgraded, it is important that she have a seat she is comfortable with.
First choice: KS prefers an aisle seat as close to the front of the plane as possible, except that she DOES NOT want the bulkhead row. Those seats are smaller than regular seats and are crowded. She also doesn't want the seat next to/directly in front of the bathroom on planes where there's a bathroom in the middle of the plane. Look at the seat map for every flight you book, or ask the booking agent about the flight map if you're reserving over the phone.
KS generally prefers to be closer to the front in a window seat, than further back in an aisle. It saves her time getting off the plane earlier.
Next choice: if you can't get an aisle seat, get a window seat using the same guidelines as above. This shouldn't happen often, since you're booking most flights six weeks in advance.
Last resort: Do everything in your power not put her in a middle seat. If the circumstances are such that a middle seat is the ONLY option, make sure you email KS to let her know and also provide some information about other flights she might be able to take instead that have better seating options. Don't book so late that middle seats are all that's left.”

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I agree with KS. Also wow if I were a sitting member of congress I’d want CK.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

CK? Googled but got nowhere

Separately, If it doesn't seem douchey to say, some of you sound like your jobs are pretty cool. If any of you might need help with one of your ventures, I am comfortable with air travel and like keeping my eyes open towards opportunities. I'm around ORD.

e: VVVV Thank you, I am just a proletarian. :D

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 23, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

^^^ American Concierge Key

Yeah, I don't see a problem with any of that and I have just stolen it to use as my own work travel profile.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Motronic posted:

Yeah, I don't see a problem with any of that and I have just stolen it to use as my own work travel profile.

:same:

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
That's the most human take Kyrsten Sinema has had in a long rear end time.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Oh yeah I agree all those sound like reasonable preferences. Decently concise way of summarizing it for repeatable bookings too, so it's a good guide.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
Any preferences for going to Milan that people are aware of? I’m based out of LAX and am a delta flyer so trying to do this on one connection if I can and have the rare opportunity to book business on this.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Delta via jfk. 767 on all legs

If La Premiere was an option on Air France I’d say maybe but euro business is dreadful.

What time of year?

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Euro business sucks, but the flight from CDG, ZRH or FRA is an hour and you'd get an overall shorter flight time and a much longer red eye leg.

You can also fly into LIN instead of MXP which is way closer to the city.

asur fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 24, 2022

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

80 min connection at cdg worries me a bit because it’s cdg and who knows who’s on strike or what random delays there will be.

LIN is a real good call if that’s close to where you want to be (it probably is)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

sellouts posted:

Delta via jfk. 767 on all legs

If La Premiere was an option on Air France I’d say maybe but euro business is dreadful.

What time of year?

January (I honestly can’t believe our client is having us out for this poo poo)

I’m used to a bunch of domestic at this point, but the code-sharing deals make it seem like my best bet is just to do this and hit the Delta on a single jump. Our travel policy is “business on anything over 6 hours” so I don’t mind leaving from a domestic airport for the long haul if it’s direct.