Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's really funny because the mc essentially starts an armed militia which is apparently totally okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Fellis posted:

Yeah I was thinking about this also, and I think it’s telling what the author decided to show for their example. Would have been much more interesting if there were some wrinkles to the negative karma about pollution, sustainability, etc. and the definition of harming/helping the earth. Also the societal changes it introduces as people frantically engage in conservation/green energy for their own survival, which could all be just in the background kinda quietly.

But nope, do crimes and get killed. Human-made laws are definitely the metric of absolute justice that people should live and die by. Definitely no problems there

You're looking too deep into a manga about cute girls doing cute things.
Seriously, just assume all that stuff is happening in the background where the barely-teenage main character does not know or give a poo poo because there's more fun stuff to do.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The fact that the writer didn't put any thought into it is exactly the problem being complained about. Essentially these are the things they casually believe as unexamined ethical baselines, and every work that continues to not examine them normalizes them further.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

A jargogle posted:

You could potentially do something interesting with a setting where societal disapproval literally caused you to burst into flames, but I doubt that's what this author was going for.

It's a now-dead mobile game, but Tales of Crestoria did this but instead of combusting it summoned extradimensional beings that killed you.

The world had essentially magical livestreams, that could broadcast from devices that everybody was given some time after birth. A person could trigger their device to broadcast someone committing a crime (or someone being framed for a crime) and the video would show up on the nearest monitors. If enough people watched the broadcast and decided that that person or people were guilty, then the extradimensional beings would be summoned to their location and relentlessly hunt them down.

Didn't matter if the person sending the broadcast was lying about what was being shown (the main characters got framed for multiple deaths), all it took was a simple majority voting guilty for someone's life to be forfeit.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Schubalts posted:

It's a now-dead mobile game, but Tales of Crestoria did this but instead of combusting it summoned extradimensional beings that killed you.

The world had essentially magical livestreams, that could broadcast from devices that everybody was given some time after birth. A person could trigger their device to broadcast someone committing a crime (or someone being framed for a crime) and the video would show up on the nearest monitors. If enough people watched the broadcast and decided that that person or people were guilty, then the extradimensional beings would be summoned to their location and relentlessly hunt them down.

Didn't matter if the person sending the broadcast was lying about what was being shown (the main characters got framed for multiple deaths), all it took was a simple majority voting guilty for someone's life to be forfeit.

Actual cancel culture

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New Onee-san and the Giant. The whole chapter is basically one extended gut punch.

Also wow if there was ever a setting where being 100% committed to going back home was the objectively correct choice. It's this one.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Man what a shithole. World is even worse than the ones from Instant Death and Isekai Uncle

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Jackard posted:

Man what a shithole. World is even worse than the ones from Instant Death and Isekai Uncle

"The Executioner and her Way of Life" is close, just not as cartoonishly evil.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm sure it's very obvious to everyone else but she had the Man Eaters eat that guy and took his medallion right?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rudoku posted:

"The Executioner and her Way of Life" is close, just not as cartoonishly evil.

Cartoonishly evil is exactly how I'd describe things. Like in the 2nd or 3rd chapter with the holy hit squad that showed up to seek revenge for the rear end in a top hat that died in the first chapter. And when confronted with the truth that the dude was a slave trafficking rapist, they just double down and say they will double rape Hinako and then they all got rightfully turned into ash by Alice. The Executioner story has people just instagibbing otherworlders but in that case it's because of the tangible problem such individuals cause as they are walking timers until they detonate.

RareAcumen posted:

I'm sure it's very obvious to everyone else but she had the Man Eaters eat that guy and took his medallion right?
I actually think that Carula might have left that guy alive. But with a small contingent of man eaters hidden in his estate to enforce compliance. She probably needs him alive for his seal to continue to hold power and his look in those pages is more like someone who is surrendering and pissed and not terrified of immediate death.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Latest chapter of the wife guy isekai: “Gosh what’s up with all this harem bullshit, I just want to see MY WIFE”

https://mangadex.org/title/fac7bdc7-c1f3-4595-82f5-b5bfb002b933/risou-no-himo-seikatsu

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I like that early on, while explaining politics to him, they sit him down and are like "no, you NEED to take on concubines, it's unbefitting of a noble to not have them and you will offend people". and he's just like "but I'm happy with MY WIFE so I refuse"

And now he's surrounded.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Captain Invictus posted:

I like that early on, while explaining politics to him, they sit him down and are like "no, you NEED to take on concubines, it's unbefitting of a noble to not have them and you will offend people". and he's just like "but I'm happy with MY WIFE so I refuse"

And now he's surrounded.

That sounds up there with "this village is only women, all of whom want kids, so no matter how much you don't want to it's your duty as village chief to set up a schedule to sleep with all of them" as far as really hollow sounding excuses to justify a harem wish fulfillment series.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Just curious, have you read the series?

If not, that's not at all even close to what's going on. :v: (As much as the manga may lead you to believe otherwise, with the very first page being what it is. Things don't get that risque ever again.) Hell, we don't even get a truly solid first potential "harem" member until nearly chapter 50 (and the second kid is on the way), and these aren't short 12 page chapters.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Yeah I can't blame people for being suspicious about harem justifications, I would've been too if I hadn't read the series, but the story has been mainly concerned with politicking and worldbuilding and the guy hardly ever gets to be a vessel for wish fulfillment fantasy. It's also very painstakingly established that yes, the guy really only loves his wife. So for once, I can actually buy that an isekai is introducing harem candidates to advance the plot. :v:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Captain Invictus posted:

I like that early on, while explaining politics to him, they sit him down and are like "no, you NEED to take on concubines, it's unbefitting of a noble to not have them and you will offend people". and he's just like "but I'm happy with MY WIFE so I refuse" And now he's surrounded.
made it sound worse than it was. i don't think any of them have a shot

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Yeah people are joking about the harem because the series is solid, if a little plodding. The only other lady close to the MC got lots of time to show character first, and even then it was mostly a political decision.

The isekai elements were pretty tacked on, it was like mostly to setup a plot where an audience insert everyman is thrust into a fantasy low-tech aristocracy/royal situation, so he has to learn politics without needing to have an education. And also brings in his modern sensibilities, some tech things, but they did a good job not going overboard with that.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Risou is surprisingly good and the presentation is not at all what you might expect from the plot. If you cut out like the first 5 pages of the entire series it would be a shoe in for the wholesome thread.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jackard posted:

made it sound worse than it was. i don't think any of them have a shot
I didn't say they did, just that this is by far the most blatant attempt by nobility to get in on his bloodline. One of my favorite parts of the series is him being put in these situations and having to politely politically dance his way out of it without offending noble families or cause an international incident with being too straightforward and honest.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Fellis posted:

Yeah people are joking about the harem because the series is solid, if a little plodding. The only other lady close to the MC got lots of time to show character first, and even then it was mostly a political decision.

The isekai elements were pretty tacked on, it was like mostly to setup a plot where an audience insert everyman is thrust into a fantasy low-tech aristocracy/royal situation, so he has to learn politics without needing to have an education. And also brings in his modern sensibilities, some tech things, but they did a good job not going overboard with that.

The modern sensibilities thing does come into play with his immunity to the strongly patriarchial soceity's attempts to get him to try ursurping his wife's authority, and the whole reason the captain lady goes for it is because he has no reaction whatsoever to her occupation rather than thinking it weird or getting superstitious

respecting women is the strongest isekai superpower

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 20, 2022

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

The junk collector posted:

Risou is surprisingly good and the presentation is not at all what you might expect from the plot. If you cut out like the first 5 pages of the entire series it would be a shoe in for the wholesome thread.

It's literally just the first page. Everything after that is fine. Just...that first page.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Onean posted:

It's literally just the first page. Everything after that is fine. Just...that first page.

There's a bit more in ch. 4.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That reminds me 80,000 gold coins is getting an anime. Do you think it'll reach the chapter where she teleports an entire PMC to the other world to brutally slaughter an invading army.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kwyndig posted:

That reminds me 80,000 gold coins is getting an anime. Do you think it'll reach the chapter where she teleports an entire PMC to the other world to brutally slaughter an invading army.

I figured that would be the season ending, because otherwise the story is pretty plodding and doesn’t have a good climax to use.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Kwyndig posted:

I mean, I can't imagine them making that into an anime and not adapting that scene.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Fellis posted:

Latest chapter of the wife guy isekai: “Gosh what’s up with all this harem bullshit, I just want to see MY WIFE”

https://mangadex.org/title/fac7bdc7-c1f3-4595-82f5-b5bfb002b933/risou-no-himo-seikatsu
so since i got a j-novel sub a while back to read bookworm prepubs i started reading the risou/sponger ln prepubs as well and in the past months they've finally gotten ahead of the manga by a substantial distance, if anyone is interested in that. like for a long time the manga was actually ahead (at least in terms of english language stuff available) but as of right now the prepubs are in the middle of the volume after the one that manga chapter is near the beginning of. it's surprisingly good, we're getting to the part where it's coming into its own as an isekai: the worldbuilding is signaling upcoming chaos that none of the characters grasp as deeply as an attentive reader, the modern ways of thinking about changes in production and technology are getting past what the mc can explain to anyone about the consequences of their actions, and someone has put such a good deal on the table that freya has been persuaded to reveal the secret to a rival that all you really have to do to marry zenjirou is convince aura that you're part of a good deal for the country

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Tbh the only interesting parts of FUNA’s MCs is the terrible bullshit they do, her stories get boring crazy fast when they aren’t committing literal war crimes, as the scanlators helpfully pointed out in the Potion Maker one. And never dropped as their credits page always included a wanted poster of the MC and all their crimes :allears:

Segueing to a cuter, more interesting, more psychopathic MC: The Girl Raised By Death is not technically an isekai, but is close enough. It got a nice drop of chapters two weeks back so its a good time for a re-read: https://mangadex.org/title/12e28a8a-cbfe-4e12-bab8-b6fb0b9a59b4/shinigami-ni-sodaterareta-shoujo-wa-shikkoku-no-tsurugi-wo-mune-ni-idaku

Have some out-of-context screenshots from the latest chapter

E: walking isekai also has a 6th chapter out by another unique scanlator

Fellis fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 21, 2022

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Paracelsus posted:

There's a bit more in ch. 4.

Oh, so there is.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’m pretty sure the scanlators for The Ideal Sponger Life manga are on par with or behind the official translation. Volume 12 is already on the shelves of the store I work at

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
The Greatest Estate Developer

Currently one of my favorites in the "rear end in a top hat protagonist" style of isekais, the story has a pretty basic setup: civil engineer wakes up in a LN isekai world, but is a completely worthless minor character who only serves to set the protagonist on his journey of adventure.

While it does have some of the basic LitRPG elements, his main powers are being able to plan out massive public works projects, having cute mascot animals to use as heavy machinery, and being a complete rear end in a top hat when he needs to get his way.

It's not as sociopathic as a lot of the other stories that feature an rear end in a top hat protagonist, but the author definitely has Opinions when it comes to mercy or turning the other cheek so I hesitate to toss it into the wholesome thread. Still I enjoy the MCs antics, and the way he ends up playing against the more savy characters like his bodyguard or the Queen is incredible.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah im enjoying this one for the comedy of it, not much the action.
Its best when hes bouncing off his completely straight laced guard/friend.

Oh and because im secretly a 10 year old child i like all the face faults like hes joey from yugioh.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I was skeptical of Estate Developer at first, but I actually laughed at the jokes like 3-4 times, they have some solid comedy and a good dynamic with the main characters. Much better than I expected, even if it does not push the limits of the subgenre much. Surprisingly wholesome from what I have read so far, too (though I certainly could criticize the blindspots it might reveal in the politics of the original author with regards to criminal justice, land developments, etc). I might actually recommend this to a friend, thanks for pointing it out!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

avoraciopoctules posted:

I was skeptical of Estate Developer at first, but I actually laughed at the jokes like 3-4 times, they have some solid comedy and a good dynamic with the main characters. Much better than I expected, even if it does not push the limits of the subgenre much. Surprisingly wholesome from what I have read so far, too (though I certainly could criticize the blindspots it might reveal in the politics of the original author with regards to criminal justice, land developments, etc). I might actually recommend this to a friend, thanks for pointing it out!

I just finished rereading it, and it is blessedly free of most of the typical issues that make an isekai garbage. There's no slavery, no sexual violence, no creeping on women (underage or otherwise), really no cheesecake at all. If the author would just stop periodically reminding me that they think that the only way to deal with bullies/criminals is using violence it would be an easy recommendation to anyone.

Still I'm happy to deal with that blemish just because it is hilarious watching him play against the foils, and it can be genuinely touching for brief moments when he stops being a greedy jerkass.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have seen people shout out "otome games are tough for mobs" multiple times recently, so I decided to give it a shot.

It's got all the hallmarks of horrible isekai; slavery, harem bullshit, convenient (and insanely ridiculously overpowered to the extreme in this case) winmore luck of the MC etc. but it's shockingly entertaining seeing him be a MAXIMUM PRICK to these nobles in that duel. Just literally roflstomping the lot of them and broadcasting his disdain and mockery of them to the entire crowd, and ALSO reveling in the entire student body losing a shitload of money betting against him, and ALSO broadcasting that to them all so they can get double ultra mad. Just an unrepentant rear end in a top hat, but the people he dunks on also suck, so it's still entertaining. Heel on heel violence.

It ain't high art, but it's amusing trash so far. The mc kinda reminds me of Soldier Six from Combatants Will Be Dispatched.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that one is actually sort of fascinating. each volume, the mc takes emotional cowardice further than ever before. i'm eager to find out if there is an upper limit.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Estate developer is good, it took awhile to get into the character dynamics and they lean on the stats nonsense too much, but the MC is very consistently an overpowered rear end in a top hat in the right ways without abandoning his humanity. Also he does put in the work, they just offscreen a lot of it so you don’t get too sympathetic (and it keeps the pacing up)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I have seen people shout out "otome games are tough for mobs" multiple times recently, so I decided to give it a shot.

Don't watch the anime, it's animated like garbage. I also gotta warn you, the series slides way down hill after that arc and, at least in the manga, has yet to recover imo.

Also fair warning, this author has some Opinions™ about women which tends to bleed into his work.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that one is actually sort of fascinating. each volume, the mc takes emotional cowardice further than ever before. i'm eager to find out if there is an upper limit.

It's the worst and easily the reason I do not recommend the series. By the time the third major arc rolls by you will be ready to strangle him for his utter uselessness and inability to respond to the girls' affections.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 5, 2023

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Don't watch the anime, it's animated like garbage. I also gotta warn you, the series slides way down hill after that arc and, at least in the manga, has yet to recover imo.

Also fair warning, this author has some Opinions™ about women which tends to bleed into his work.

It's the worst and easily the reason I do not recommend the series. By the time the third major arc rolls by you will be ready to strangle him for his utter uselessness and inability to respond to the girls' affections.

It sucks because it has that whole Skies of Arcadia X Gundam setting which is pretty cool.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
I noticed this in (both episodes I watched of) Shield Hero as well -- both are using matriarchal societies as plot points, but only on a surface level. The school has some noblewomen harassing the protagonist, but most authority figures and supporting characters are actually men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mordecai posted:

I noticed this in (both episodes I watched of) Shield Hero as well -- both are using matriarchal societies as plot points, but only on a surface level.

The manga for Mob does eventually touch on why the society is structured that way. I don't think it's particularly accurate to say that most authority figures in Mob are male; the men we see are largely children of the aristocracy, but within households they are still going to be subservient to their wives or masters. Men can also be chattel.