Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
a load of haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

haha

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

are the people talking like idiots because they're all loup now?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
You know who else liked to say "Haha!" a lot? Coyote!!!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
i miss party time

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Niavmai posted:

haha we just casually figured out the court's biggest secret too! weird! plot advancement!

To be fair, if anyone else would know the Court has weird plans for Zimmy, it'd be Jack. He's broken into the Court's secret files on all the students, fixated on Zimmy specifically for years, and was involved in the incident with that ether station in the lake and the strange way it interacted with Zimmy.

Anyway, I'm okay with Jack being around because it'd be nice to get some face-to-face reactions from any of Annie and Kat's friends. Jenny was cool last time, too, so I'm up to seeing more of her. The more characters I care about are on screen, the less time Lana and Loup are there.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

YaketySass posted:

good times for webcomic protagonists with one leg

Darth TNT posted:

She'd better not skip leg day. :haw:

I didn't even notice this because I tend to focus on dialogue more than art in comics, but lol yeah that happened.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

pik_d posted:

She' like everyone else, is Coyote

It's a good trick, you have to admit!

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
It's haha-ing goose wives all the way down.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Her given name by her parents is Welsh, and thus unpronounceable

Ah yes, Kwyllfywlllfulwlchterina.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
The last time Jack was in the story Tony hadn't even been introduced to the cast yet.

This makes me sad somehow.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Guess the person that’s speaking in the last panel is Jenny, since she has a seeking spell after all.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
In Jack's defense he's the OG 'haha' boy. It's genuinely a dialogue tick of his.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I like how Anni can't turn around as Jack walked around her to sit on that wall. I guess that turning on one leg is difficult.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I do like the idea that they've all just been doing their own thing and annie is now 100% obsolete as the protag, rather than 80%

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Well I'm glad someone has been having adventures and figuring things out, since our protagonists have been laying down on the job.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It stands to reason that everyone else has been having more adventures than Annie. She got held back and didn't finish Dr. Disaster's class.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Nettle Soup posted:

I do like the idea that they've all just been doing their own thing and annie is now 100% obsolete as the protag, rather than 80%

Jack has always seemed like he is the main character in his own comic which we're not privy to, especially in the boat chapter. He is easily my favorite character and I think his development has been very interesting. I hope he does not fall flat here but my faith is gone.

I like the fact that even though he's only in love with Zimmy because of brainspiders infecting him with obsessive madness, he's dealing with it with more maturity than almost any other character in the series shows in their love life.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 17, 2022

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

even when he showed back up on the boat he still had like a sinister energy going on with him and here he's just regular hot boy with one of the worst depictions of stubble i've ever seen

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Patware posted:

even when he showed back up on the boat he still had like a sinister energy going on with him and here he's just regular hot boy with one of the worst depictions of stubble i've ever seen

The joke on the boat was that Annie was seeing a sinister energy that was not there, and he had grown up to be a cool dude. The joke here is that the last time we saw him, Reynard told him to shave, and he has done a bad job of it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

worm girl posted:

The joke on the boat was that Annie was seeing a sinister energy that was not there, and he had grown up to be a cool dude. The joke here is that the last time we saw him, Reynard told him to shave, and he has done a bad job of it.

I thought the twist about Jack and Jenny was well done, too. You see him with his arm around a girl that looks a concerning amount like Zimmy and immediately go "Oh no dude, please don't do this." Except it turns out she asked him out, and it seemed like they have a pretty open, communicative relationship. Maybe Jack does have a "type" but it doesn't seem to be a hosed up magic obsession thing anymore. Maybe the best execution of a kind of complicated relationship that manages to properly navigate the understated and vague way the comic approaches most things?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
How old are these kids? 'cause it kinda looks like acne.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Eglamore looks weird in today's comic

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

She looks way creepier now than she ever did before. I get Stepford Wife vibes.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
What is happening.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Jack took a look at some of Jones's old photos and went awooga.

There Bias Two posted:

She looks way creepier now than she ever did before. I get Stepford Wife vibes.

Wouldn't creepy still make it goth though? :j:

That's got to be a specific style. Uncanny valley wholesomeness?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The thing that makes it seem creepy to me is I feel like we just saw Shell, who had normally dressed in a particular style also show up in a dress. "We all have to get over ourselves sometime" is a really weird thing to say, too. If Kat or Zimmie shows off their new dress next I'm going to upend a table. :livintrope:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

YaketySass posted:

Jack took a look at some of Jones's old photos and went awooga.

Wouldn't creepy still make it goth though? :j:

That's got to be a specific style. Uncanny valley wholesomeness?

50s retro chic has been a popular look for a few years now.

Jack doesn't have the gang bangs anymore, does that mean he's fully free on their influence?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

50s retro chic has been a popular look for a few years now.

Jack doesn't have the gang bangs anymore, does that mean he's fully free on their influence?
The what

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Splicer posted:

What is happening.
Once again the Goth to Rockabilly pipeline has hit another

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Splicer posted:

The what

I think they meant the fang bangs

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, didn't post close enough attention what my Swype was auto filling

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, didn't post close enough attention what my Swype was auto filling
There's a user dictionary/your mom joke in here somewhere but I'm just not feeling it today.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I’ll be honest I don’t understand why “Jenny has decided on a style change” needed this much space on the page. It’s not a bad page it’s just very weird pacing and yeah, pretty odd (especially since, uh, how does Annie know what a ‘generic goth’ does or doesn’t look like?)

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Eh, I would say this is a pretty good joke page with a solid setup and wouldn't be out of place in the good Gunnerkrigg Court. Bonus point for Stepford Wife Jenny being far creepier than Goth Witch Jenny.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Potsticker posted:

"We all have to get over ourselves sometime" is a really weird thing to say, too.

It's anti-goth discrimination

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Joe Slowboat posted:

I’ll be honest I don’t understand why “Jenny has decided on a style change” needed this much space on the page. It’s not a bad page it’s just very weird pacing and yeah, pretty odd (especially since, uh, how does Annie know what a ‘generic goth’ does or doesn’t look like?)

For me, it's that the pacing has been so slow already and this page adds to that. And we had a kinda-similar joke with Renard thinking of Zimmy all fancy 6 pages ago. Basically, just get on with it jfc.

worm girl posted:

Hahaha, nice touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
I mean ultimately the joke is that "sometimes teenagers have goth phases and then grow out of it" so I don't think there is any sinister intent behind that.

I do like that she still has the same aura despite going for a completely different look.