Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

mining is pretty unprofitable currently, and the only way to make decent money off of it is to trick someone else into doing the mining for you. cloud services naturally want no part of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

HappyHippo posted:

The question is can crypto even exist if regulated. If you just applied the existing rules to crypto would it no longer be possible to keep the scam running?

The explicit proposition of cryptocurrency as it was originally created was to escape regulations, so that would definitely destroy the scam for anyone hoping to use it to dodge taxes or do money laundering. And just the most basic sort of regulations requiring exchanges to have liquidity so their customers can actually withdraw their investments into real money, plus whatever controls would prevent the most egregrious rugpulls, would completely destroy anyone's motivations to run an exchange.

So I think my answer is no: If you actually regulated crypto in the same way as similar things involving money, there would be zero profit in it for anyone and in a year or two you'd just be down to a couple of lonely nerds trading their internet pogs for cents.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
BTW the Trump NFT thing is absolutely hilarious. Was this what he's been cooking for the past month?

Like what was he actually doing, was he micromanaging the actual artist in a way lets him scam the actual artist out of their share of the proceeds?

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

mining is pretty unprofitable currently, and the only way to make decent money off of it is to trick someone else into doing the mining for you. cloud services naturally want no part of this.

Salt Fish posted:

Crypto customers are bad for hosting providers for a few reasons. You can't make a profit mining at full retail price so people use various shady tactics like abusing promotional credits, wrecking any over provisioned shared hosting, putting miners on their employers servers to soak up idle power, etc etc.

Its really bad for business because they're lovely customers who don't have business prospects or growth potential, but they can majorly piss off your normal customers by being noisy neighbors.

Good points.

But also isnt that the same as 10 years ago when computer janitor would put miners on school class room computers?

I would think the ASIC, and GPU specializations would make scaming cloud providers pointless.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

BTW the Trump NFT thing is absolutely hilarious. Was this what he's been cooking for the past month?

Like what was he actually doing, was he micromanaging the actual artist in a way lets him scam the actual artist out of their share of the proceeds?

Between the fact that Trump always stiffs his bills, and NFT sellers always scam the artist, they'll be lucky if they get out of this without somehow having to pay him.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

So gizmodo looked into a bit and it looks like a company NFT INT LLC brought the likeness rights of trump off another place, even though the CEO of NFT INT LLC says there not involved with the trump project at all. Also the companies run out of a ups mail box in Utah.

https://gizmodo.com/donald-trump-nft-trading-cards-1849900531

So yeah in short god knows what's happening. :shrug:

if you go to the place that sells the trump nfts at the bottom you'll actually see this disclaimer

quote:

NFT INT LLC is not owned, managed or controlled by Donald J. Trump, The Trump Organization, CIC Digital LLC or any of their respective principals or affiliates. NFT INT LLC uses Donald J. Trump's name, likeness and image under paid license from CIC Digital LLC, which license may be terminated or revoked according to its terms.

Also according to the website they're sold out already. lol.

Edit: also CIC Digital LLC seems to just be a shell company. it was created 9 months ago, and was register by a register agent out of that address in Delaware that's registered 285'000 plus companies. I'm just going to assume that's just a trump shell company.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporation_Trust_Center_(CT_Corporation)

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 16, 2022

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I don't know exactly what it going on, but I am going to guess it's the sort of thing that, if it is not illegal, probably should be.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I'm gonna assume the Trump NFTs are the way they're getting dark money in from Russia.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

BlackIronHeart posted:

I'm gonna assume the Trump NFTs are the way they're getting dark money in from Russia.

No trump gets his money from Soros.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

thekeeshman posted:

Who lives in a polycule in the south sea?
Sam Bank Man Fried!
Squishy and tweaking and chatty is he!
Sam Bank Man Fried!
If cryptochain nonsense be something you wish,
Sam Bank Man Fried!
Then watch as the bitcoin price flops like a fish!
Sam Bank Man Fried!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

BlackIronHeart posted:

you don't need to do any of this lol

it's like going to texas on your huffy and hanging outside a gunstore going "mister ill pay you to buy me a rifle"

like just go in and fill a shopping bag my dude lol

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Ups_rail posted:

Good points.

But also isnt that the same as 10 years ago when computer janitor would put miners on school class room computers?

I would think the ASIC, and GPU specializations would make scaming cloud providers pointless.

Yes, but corporate antivirus and similar tools will flag stuff like that in a centralised environment nowadays.

People will try anything for ‘free’ money, even if it’s horrendously inefficient, as long as they’re not paying for it directly.

Just paying with their job :devil:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
From the FT:

The Financial Times posted:

Audit group Mazars halts work with crypto clients

Mazars is halting work with its crypto clients, including Binance, the world’s largest crypto exchange, as the sector comes under heightened scrutiny following the collapse of FTX.

The auditor had been hired by Binance to conduct a “proof of reserves” report — something all crypto exchanges are under pressure to produce as they seek to persuade nervous clients that they hold sufficient assets to match all customer deposits.

“Mazars has indicated that they will temporarily pause their work with all of their crypto clients globally, which include Crypto.com, KuCoin, and Binance. Unfortunately, this means that we will not be able to work with Mazars for the moment,” Binance said in a statement on Friday.

Proof of reserves verified by third-party auditors has emerged as a crucial test of market confidence in crypto exchanges following allegations that FTX fraudulently made off with customer assets.

The willingness of auditors such as Mazars to sign off these reports has been a key factor in soothing nervous investors as crypto exchanges seek to prevent “run on the bank” scenarios of the kind that sank FTX.

FTX was unable to meet client demands for withdrawals before its collapse, revealing a multibillion-dollar shortfall in client funds.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

This is good for bitcoin

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
So the only credible auditor that was hired to bring credibility to Crypto exchanges looked around, realized the bad position they were being put in because they could be blamed if anything went wrong, and said "Nope, we are out. Have a good time with your Ponzi scheme!"

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

biglads posted:

This is good for bitcoin

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
it is good for, and simultaneously solved by, bitcoin

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

daslog posted:

So the only credible auditor that was hired to bring credibility to Crypto exchanges looked around, realized the bad position they were being put in because they could be blamed if anything went wrong, and said "Nope, we are out. Have a good time with your Ponzi scheme!"

I actually expected the other reason would be expectations that they'll be unable to pay them or that all of Crypto is already behind on paying them.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

it is good for, and simultaneously solved by, bitcoin

Bitcoin: Bitcoin did it better

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I actually expected the other reason would be expectations that they'll be unable to pay them or that all of Crypto is already behind on paying them.

But they are (were?) Donald Trump's CPA firm so they should be used to being stiffed?! :confused:

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I suspect it's because 1) these attestations were being presented by the exchanges as audits (they said in their statement that they were pulling out "due to concerns regarding the way these reports are understood by the public"), and 2) they think the exchanges in questions are going to blow up. They don't want "exchange audited by Mazars goes bankrupt" to be a news story, even if they never technically did an audit.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Need crypto to hurry up and die already

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Guze posted:

It'll be good for bitcoin, because bitcoin is very strong.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

HappyHippo posted:

I suspect it's because 1) these attestations were being presented by the exchanges as audits (they said in their statement that they were pulling out "due to concerns regarding the way these reports are understood by the public"), and 2) they think the exchanges in questions are going to blow up. They don't want "exchange audited by Mazars goes bankrupt" to be a news story, even if they never technically did an audit.

what s a attestation vs audit?

drk
Jan 16, 2005

daslog posted:

Yes the "credible" "auditor" that does not use numbers in its reports

https://twitter.com/Cryptadamist/status/1603709587655462912

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

An attestation is basically the books are handed over to Mazars, Mazars goes over the figures, checks the balances and says "yup, that actually totals right" and hands them back. An audit actually tries to follow the money and verify legal ownership, see if there are shellgames being played with assets or debts, confirms that the dollar they say they have really does belong to them, etc. An attestation is no more than a checksum that says the internal accounting is self consistent; it doesn't really say that the internal accounting isn't fraudulent.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Ups_rail posted:

what s a attestation vs audit?

i think an audit is where they go through everything themselves to see if the money is there, and an attestation is the exchange showing them a piece of paper that says "we have the money, promise" and they just sign off on that

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

kw0134 posted:

An attestation is basically the books are handed over to Mazars, Mazars goes over the figures, checks the balances and says "yup, that actually totals right" and hands them back. An audit actually tries to follow the money and verify legal ownership, see if there are shellgames being played with assets or debts, confirms that the dollar they say they have really does belong to them, etc. An attestation is no more than a checksum that says the internal accounting is self consistent; it doesn't really say that the internal accounting isn't fraudulent.

Thank you!

that honestly sounds kinda handy, like "hey money isnt just appearing and disappearing "NO QUESTIONS!"

The fact they back out tells something bad....oh poo poo what if all those rumors of exchanges floating crypto between eachother is true?

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Boxturret posted:

i think an audit is where they go through everything themselves to see if the money is there, and an attestation is the exchange showing them a piece of paper that says "we have the money, promise" and they just sign off on that

Yeah, this seems to be the case. For example, the latest tether attestation says this

quote:

Management is responsible for the preparation of the Consolidated Reserves Report in compliance with the criteria, including Management’s Key Accounting Policies, set out in the CRR and for such internal control as management determines is necessary to enable the preparation of CRR that is free from material misstatement, whether due to fraud or error.

So basically:

-Tether management is responsible for providing the numbers, not the accounting firm
-Tether management sets the accounting policies
-Tether management is responsible for preventing fraud

You can see why these reports dont inspire much confidence.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Guze posted:

Nah, it will never die.

There will be True Believers in 40 years time hodling onto their bitcoins they bought in 2020 waiting for the price to spike up again.
And then you still have the OG believers, who think that once civilization ends they will become Elon Musk 2.0 due to the 0.04 butts they have.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

That qualifies as death.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

kw0134 posted:

That was very helpful. Thank you.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Ups_rail posted:

protect it from what?

like being part of scams?

From being scammed. When you sign up for a cloud providers service like Azure or AWS, you sign a service agreement and then you pay X based on whatever consumption model they have.

It would be feasible to set up a shitcoin company/exchange, sign up for a cloud compute service, and effectively blow out the data centers flipping pointless bits before the bill comes due (and MS couldn't come after that money anyway, because your shitcoin company/exchange will just :lol: and file bankruptcy)

Knowing almost nothing about the MS backend, I'd have to assume its far easier to ban crpyto on sight than to rejigger the billing system to prevent that sort of poo poo.

kw0134 posted:

Also IIRC Mazars word used to be absolutely bulletproof, to the point that an attestation was considered roughly the same as an audit*. Its why Mazars fired :chaostrump: as a customer - there was too much scrutiny on the Mazars attestations to some extremely bullshit Trimpf accounting

*:lol::lmao:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
you have to be extremely toxic for accounting firms to run away from you

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Guze posted:

make way for crypto3 technology

City Slicker
May 28, 2020

drk posted:

Yeah, this seems to be the case. For example, the latest tether attestation says this

So basically:

-Tether management is responsible for providing the numbers, not the accounting firm
-Tether management sets the accounting policies
-Tether management is responsible for preventing fraud

You can see why these reports dont inspire much confidence.

To be fair, those three statements would still apply in a normal full audit of a company. The management of the firm are always responsible for the production of the accounts, accounting policies, and prevention of fraud - never the auditors.

It’s more of a case that the attestation is more limited in scope and provides a much lower level of assurance.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Fair enough, but with an audit it seems the auditor actually checks the accounts. The tether attestation "assurance" report specifically did not in full - they spot checked some things but were entirely reliant on management to provide a correct value. To wit, they:

quote:

verify, on a sample basis, the correct valuation of the assets disclosed in the CRR in accordance with the criteria described in the Management Key accounting policies

If I read this right they are basically saying, for example, if it is the policy of management to value assets at the price they acquired them, then they followed that policy even if it is an unreasonable or not generally accepted practice.

drk fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 16, 2022

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1603892227771604992

drk
Jan 16, 2005
it is happening, forever happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006