Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

This game looks so good now. I'm just walking around looking at stuff lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
I fast traveled to a town and Roach spawned on top of a cart. The guard was not amused.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I don't remember which Ubisoft game it's from but it's a really refreshing change to play a game like this, where the dialogue isn't just someone pacing around and being all like, 'You know, I was like you once. But then...*Looks up at ceiling. Shakes head ruefully*...then, I realised the truth...'.

Tirranek fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Dec 16, 2022

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I just beat the Vizima Gwent dude on my first visit with my lovely starter deck

:stare:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

If you mean it sounds like she's an amateur reaching for a chord every chord change, that's not a bug, you're just having performance issues.

It's not a performance issue. You can be getting a 100% locked smooth framerate and still have it happen. While loading the game off a 7GB/s NVME drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou3KZ1Q4ZcM

It doesn't matter what settings I use, this poo poo happens.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I mean I'm lvl1 and I'm at white orchard. I guess it's the starter noob town. Only "green" quest is the lvl3 bossfight in the well, I suck at it. Most enemies around seem to be lvl5+ and they kick my rear end. All other quests are either yellow or orange. How do you even get started in this game? At least in World of Warcraft I did lvl1 quests at lvl1, not lvl3 or lvl5 quests... I grinded out low lvl quests and did quests equal to my level or 1-2 levels lower than my level.

With 3080 and a 4K monitor, I get around 60-70fps with DLSS Ultra performance, medium settings but rtx on.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Dec 16, 2022

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Ihmemies posted:

I mean I'm lvl1 and I'm at white orchard. I guess it's the starter noob town. Only "green" quest is the lvl3 bossfight in the well, I suck at it. Most enemies around seem to be lvl5+ and they kick my rear end. All other quests are either yellow or orange. How do you even get started in this game? At least in World of Warcraft I did lvl1 quests at lvl1, not lvl3 or lvl5 quests... I grinded out low lvl quests and did quests equal to my level or 1-2 levels lower than my level.

With 3080 and a 4K monitor, I get around 60-70fps with DLSS Ultra performance, medium settings but rtx on.

Run around and find all the Places of Power, they should be labeled on your map. There are a handful of side quests you'll run into just going around.

If this is your very first time playing, the early game (through maybe level 10 or so) can be pretty brutal difficulty until you get the hang of the combat. The key is to dodge, dodge, dodge. Get in a couple sword attacks and a sign, dodge or roll away, rinse repeat. You don't really stand and fight in melee.

edit: there should be some quests around the town that are level 1 too or at least don't require any combat. Talk to the dwarven smith if you haven't already.

There's good newbie info in I think the second post? It's from years back but it's still all valid I think.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 16, 2022

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Just wanna make sure I am doing this correctly: there’s no new PS5 version, it’s a free update if you own the PS4 version, yeah? So I can buy the PS4 complete edition and then download the PS5 version?

Edit: I just looked and you can buy the PS5 version digitally, and it’s on sale. I dunno why I came in here to ask a question I could answer myself in 30 seconds :v:

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Ihmemies posted:

I hate/suck at the combat so I just play on easy mode and still enjoyed it enough that it's a top 5 game for me.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Anyone have any luck getting mods to work on a Steam Deck? All my mods on pc are in Vortex from Nexus so I’m not sure what to do

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

is pepsi ok posted:

I hate/suck at the combat so I just play on easy mode and still enjoyed it enough that it's a top 5 game for me.

Same except I used/abused the slow down rune, I started using it sometime in the prologue and my entire playthrough was bedrocked upon it.

Brian Worms
May 29, 2007

Captain Beans posted:

on the store keep clicking the little 3 buttons till it takes you to the right version, it might seem like a loop but keep doing it

its dumb

i looped like a dozen times, still no joy :/

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

If this is your first time playing just go after a potion/oil focused build because you very quickly become Literally Unkillable and all the green mutagens give you more health anyways. Any time I try for a different build I basically always end up falling back on potion/oil because it’s just so much more convenient and it actually makes you into the effortless badass the story says you are, and the combat just isn’t really precise or fluid enough to be worth trying to master parry timing and other builds, at least in my opinion.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Ihmemies posted:

Fritz the Horse posted:

Run around and find all the Places of Power, they should be labeled on your map. There are a handful of side quests you'll run into just going around.

If this is your very first time playing, the early game (through maybe level 10 or so) can be pretty brutal difficulty until you get the hang of the combat. The key is to dodge, dodge, dodge. Get in a couple sword attacks and a sign, dodge or roll away, rinse repeat. You don't really stand and fight in melee.

edit: there should be some quests around the town that are level 1 too or at least don't require any combat. Talk to the dwarven smith if you haven't already.

There's good newbie info in I think the second post? It's from years back but it's still all valid I think.

In addition to the blacksmith, there's the guy sitting with his dog next to the destroyed buildings you rode past at the start with Vesemir, the old lady just outside the village, plus that missing cargo quest, don't remember where it is. The herbalist quest should also be fine. At least one of the treasure hunts should be fine at level 1 too.

But getting the free skill points from places of power is probably the most important, I think there are 5 in White Orchard.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

This isn’t relevant until Vizima but is still super relevant overall, but basically make sure you make a gog account and link it to Witcher 3 to get the thousand flower sword and armor set, then powerlevel to 5 and take that potion they give you that lowers equip requirement by two levels, then equip all that free poo poo. If you do all that you’ll be set for the rest of the game because of how ludicrously powerful that set is early game (I’ve just been crushing poo poo nonstop since I equipped it at 5). The game is only hard, and by hard I really mean irritating, in the early early game so as long as you make sure you pick up all the early white orchard place of power ability points then equip that armor and weapon set the instant you ding 5 you only have to deal with the first five levels being a tedious bother of getting totally owned by drowners and poo poo.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Ihmemies posted:

It's been answered by others but yeah grinding XP by killing mobs of enemies is (thankfully) not a thing in this game. The XP you get from killing stuff is way way less than finishing quests, which is good because the quests are almost universally interesting to do.

If you're still stuck on the well ghost, that contract is kind of meant as a tutorial to get you to look in your bestiary to learn how to use different methods to kill different monsters. Specifically, YRDEN creates a circle on the ground that traps the ghost in place and severely weakens it and putting specter oil on your silver blade does extra damage.

The first 10 levels are always the worst. After that you'll have plenty of buffs, better armor and weapons, and you'll know what you're doing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Been redoing mods from scratch. I'm using Witcher mod manager and I'm getting stumped. When I use the mod manager to launch the game it's automatically launching the DX11 version even if I select the DX12 executable in the X64 folder.

Can I launch the game via the game shortcut and select the DX12 option and still have the mods activate? Or do I need to launch via mod manager for the mods to activate.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Arc Hammer posted:

Been redoing mods from scratch. I'm using Witcher mod manager and I'm getting stumped. When I use the mod manager to launch the game it's automatically launching the DX11 version even if I select the DX12 executable in the X64 folder.

Can I launch the game via the game shortcut and select the DX12 option and still have the mods activate? Or do I need to launch via mod manager for the mods to activate.

Should be fine to just launch the game, works with the Vortex mod manager at least. I haven't used the mod manager you mentioned, but it's probably just dumping the files into the mods directory.

tuyop posted:

Anyone have any luck getting mods to work on a Steam Deck? All my mods on pc are in Vortex from Nexus so I’m not sure what to do

You'll need to copy the mods manually to a folder called MODS in the main game folder (Witcher 3 Wild Hunt GOTY\MODS). You should be able to just copy the mods folder from the game directory on your PC to the one on the Steam Deck.

Mods like Autoloot that need you to edit files in your Documents folder for keybinds are more annoying. You'll need to find proton's simulated Documents folder for this game to change the .ini files. (It's in a hidden folder of your user directory .steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/[gameID]/pfx/)

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Turning on ray tracing at all crashes the game for me (PC with a 3080), and DLSS doesn't really seem to help framerates at all

Hopefully there's a patch coming for this patch, I'd like to get back into it with some fancy new graphics

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
I was getting crashes when I turned on the raytracing features as well, but it was only after I set a launch option to skip the new launcher. The crashes stopped I turned that off. Performance is still pretty dire though

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Also yeah don't feel bad about turning the difficulty down if it's not clicking for you. I think the combat is serviceable and reasonably fun, but it's not the highlight of W3. W3 is all about world-building, story-telling, and characters.

If you're coming from WoW definitely don't grind lol. You'll be miserable and it's totally unnecessary.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah I played on easy for the early game and have no regrets.

Once you get your first set of crafted Witcher Gear (i wanna say this opens up around level 14-17?) you become significantly stronger and even I had to turn the difficulty up a little to stay engaged. But I definitely advise against grinding for xp in this game, I don't think you should ever have to do that. Pretty sure there should always be a quest available that's at or below your level (if you're in the very very beginning of the game, you might just have to explore or progress a little first to find them, but I don't remember ever hitting any level gates in the prologue), and if not that, exploring the ?s on the map will give you something more interesting to do than just farm monsters.

also this game is like 150 hours long even if you're just doing the quests, so I cannot recommend adding any length doing activities you aren't enjoying

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

even in dx11 this game runs weird now. getting ok fps but there a weird surging feeling. like very minor rubber banding or something.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Has anyone here ever done a run of Witcher 3 with that mod where it replaced all combat with games of gwent? I genuinely wonder if that would be a more enjoyable overall way to “play” this game combat-wise. I guess the only problem would be that even then games of gwent are just a little too long to accommodate the amount of combat you have to do in Witcher 3.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hmn, maybe if it also removed almost all of the combat so that it worked out to one game of gwent per quest?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Looking back at the mod it looks like it does one game of gwent per combat instance, so it would be roughly one to three at absolute most games of gwent per quest.

Maybe that’s a low enough instance?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Qmass posted:

even in dx11 this game runs weird now. getting ok fps but there a weird surging feeling. like very minor rubber banding or something.

Yeah, I can see this in the Deck's performance graph too. It's "hitching" or something. Not too bad, but enough that I noticed it with all of the FPS info off and turned it back on to see what was going on.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 16, 2022

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

wyoak posted:

Turning on ray tracing at all crashes the game for me (PC with a 3080), and DLSS doesn't really seem to help framerates at all

Hopefully there's a patch coming for this patch, I'd like to get back into it with some fancy new graphics

It is unlikely that the framerate issue will be fixed. Early reports from folks peaking under the hood say that the DX12 features like ray tracing and resolution upscaling were shoehorned into the game via a shoddy method rather than doing a lot of work on the game engine. There is a rather large tax applied using this method (DX12 Wrapper). The CPU also needs to build the structure necessary for ray tracing and there is no avoiding that if you turn on the option. DLSS can't help you when the bottleneck is on the CPU end.

Reddit says that if you don't care about RT or upscaling, there is a DX11 executable that basically has all the non RT visual upgrades and performance should be a lot better. If you want RT features though, the only way is to get a cutting edge CPU that can brute force its way to 60 fps (maybe).

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Squatch Ambassador posted:

Should be fine to just launch the game, works with the Vortex mod manager at least. I haven't used the mod manager you mentioned, but it's probably just dumping the files into the mods directory.

You'll need to copy the mods manually to a folder called MODS in the main game folder (Witcher 3 Wild Hunt GOTY\MODS). You should be able to just copy the mods folder from the game directory on your PC to the one on the Steam Deck.

Mods like Autoloot that need you to edit files in your Documents folder for keybinds are more annoying. You'll need to find proton's simulated Documents folder for this game to change the .ini files. (It's in a hidden folder of your user directory .steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/[gameID]/pfx/)

Thanks for this!

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Rinkles posted:

Are there other examples of games integrating mods into an official update? I’m sure there’s some I’m not thinking of.

Well, I don't know if that counts but waaaay back in the day Creative Assembly ripped off my M2TW bugfix code wholesale and integrated it into one of their first patches - without crediting me in any way. I was flattered and pissed in about equal measure. It wasn't much of a "mod" (just text files edits and additions) but I had spent time figuring it all out from scratch, figured out what *they* wanted their code to do which it didn't, tested my fixes extensively and so on. A little "cheers, dude" in the patch notes would have been nice.

(how do I positively know they did it ? I had added a handful of variables with obscene, punny names. AFAIK those variables are still in the latest version of the game.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did the next Gen update integrate Friendly Hud as well? I noticed that the main menu screens were alternating between vanilla and thr DLC screens.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Rinkles posted:

Are there other examples of games integrating mods into an official update? I’m sure there’s some I’m not thinking of.

There was a Goon who made a mod called Goonmod with different plug-ins for Payday 2. Eventually the devs hired him. After enough time, Goonmod features ended up in Payday 2 proper.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
really not amused that the console upgrade is limited to the Complete Edition

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Oxxidation posted:

really not amused that the console upgrade is limited to the Complete Edition

Isn’t it supposed to apply to the base game too?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Isn’t it supposed to apply to the base game too?

nope, base game is ps4 only

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
No it's there for the base game you just have to click the ... option and find it, when you do it will have the expansions as optional installs

Source: I own the base game on PS4 and did this

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
oh that’s silly, the dots sent me to the complete edition, and then those dots showed me the upgrade

appreciate the confirmation regardless

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rinkles posted:

Ubsioft literally straight up stole a bug fix mod from a modder for rainbow six Vegas…2, I believe? Caused a minor controversy because this was back when Ubisoft’s whole vibe was “piracy is killing the industry and must be punished to the highest degree at all times in all of its forms no matter what” and then straight up stole somebody else’s work to fix their lovely game, and did it so shamelessly it was a straight up copy/paste job with dummied out “this was made by me, follow me for more bug fix mods like this” notes included.

Also Nintendo straight up stole emulation software without attribution for its S/NES classics for switch system, if I remember correctly.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Thought this was interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

The special swords scaling is a very good change. It would've been nice if the special armor that the master armorer makes for you as a quest reward wasn't just a random witch hunter outfit though.