Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

If nothing else, "The current system might kill people and ruin their lives, but the transition to a different system would also have bad side effects, so really we might as well not do anything.", is a perfectly appropriate post for the MHA thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kyte posted:

There's mangaka who can do the weekly schedule like it's nothing.

That is extremely abnormal, especially without being able to hire assistants (and even with those people, I really doubt it's "like it's nothing"). While there might be rare exceptions (due to art style, type of manga, and/or having a good set of assistants), a full chapter a week is a huge amount of work.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kanos posted:

Even beyond the raw humanitarian concern of "maybe someone killing themselves to make an entertainment product for people to consume isn't good", a less frequent schedule has other effects, like being able to put more time into the art and story planning because you're not constantly fumbling to push content as fast as possible. As an example that you reference yourself, Miura's Berserk has some of the most beautiful art ever committed to the pages of a manga specifically because he had a lot of time to work with.

I definitely think a lot about the insane difference in detail with Vinland Saga once it switched from weekly to monthly:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ytlaya posted:

That is extremely abnormal, especially without being able to hire assistants (and even with those people, I really doubt it's "like it's nothing"). While there might be rare exceptions (due to art style, type of manga, and/or having a good set of assistants), a full chapter a week is a huge amount of work.

Exactly this. The "that might gently caress that guy up, but i'm built different" attitude is absolutely gross as hell.

I'm sure there's people who can handle 100 hour per week crunch scheduling at a video game studio or who can handle working 18 hour shifts and pissing in bottles at Amazon warehouses "like it's nothing"(hint: it's not like it's nothing), but by accepting those kinds of working conditions for some, a profit-driven industry will automatically begin to filter out people who can't handle that kind of workload in the name of making more money, which then forces people who can't handle those types of schedules as well to try to maintain them in order to get those kinds of jobs. Some dude who claims they can put out a quality manga chapter every single week because he's built different is more likely to be picked up and given a run than someone who asks for more time, because Jump management wants to make more money and a hit manga with a chapter every week is likely more money and issues sold than a hit manga than a chapter every two weeks or every month. This normalizes that type of expectation until it becomes the de facto standard in the industry culture.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Dec 16, 2022

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kyte posted:

Togashi is a terrible example. The industry didn't do this to him. It was his own dumbass young self ingraining terrible postural habits that would've hit no matter what so long as he kept drawing, whether for work or for hobby.

It wasn't even limited to drawing.

And let's be clear: There's mangaka who can do the weekly schedule like it's nothing. Mashima has pushed out three weekly manga while still having time to draw fanart and stream himself doing so and manage spinoffs and poo poo and frankly that guy's a freak of nature. Meanwhile Azuma just pops out a Yotsuba like once a year when it hits his fancy. Mangaka come in all sizes and levels.
We've seen that it is possible for Jump to accommodate medical needs, but we're also talking about a passion industry where authors do not want to take breaks or switch magazines.

MHA is extremely successful. Horikoshi could take a whole-rear end month of a break or more, and I bet you Jump would say ok. He's long past the cancellation hurdle.
But he doesn't want to.
Multiple Jump authors have spoken as much about what the schedule does to you, including Togashi himself before he ever did HxH.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
This does make you wonder which is the more unhealthy work culture; Japanese/Asia in general or American/Western in general. I think there are probably arguments to be made for both sides, or perhaps one could say they are equally hosed up but in different ways.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
America “wins” that contest thanks to our healthcare industry alone but all creative industries tend to self-calibrate for maximum exploitation with minimal reward, manga is just one of the most egregious

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

You could argue that Manga work culture is what specifically kills people while in America it's mostly the lack of any kind of safety net.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1603721602557833216?t=lvmNkaXUT9qqPG42nbSksg&s=19

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
My Hero Academia is saved.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

GimmickMan posted:

If nothing else, "The current system might kill people and ruin their lives, but the transition to a different system would also have bad side effects, so really we might as well not do anything.", is a perfectly appropriate post for the MHA thread.

Oh this is the MHA thread? I thought this was a defence of capitalism.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It is impossible to hold the two diametrically opposing viewpoints that the Shonen Jump workflow is a nightmare hellworld and that you also shouldn’t draw laying down on your stomach

It can’t be done

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Oda should stop smoking but more importantly Shonen Jump should stop being hell. Also their post was more "nevermind SJ being hell, look at this guys posture" which is bullshit.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

TheKingofSprings posted:

It is impossible to hold the two diametrically opposing viewpoints that the Shonen Jump workflow is a nightmare hellworld and that you also shouldn’t draw laying down on your stomach

It can’t be done

I mean you'd have a point if the person didn't say "Togashi did that to himself. You can't blame the industry for his condition" in direct response to "Here's some authors that have talked about how absolutely horrible the industry is to authors."

Like yeah his routine also hurt him, but that doesn't erase the damage management and the industry and how it's built does to authors. That's what people are responding are saying, not that it's impossible for that poo poo to have affected him.

I get you want to be the smug above the argument smart person here but you gotta actually follow the argument for that to work. Otherwise you just look like a dunce.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I said he was a bad example, not that Jump's schedules aren't grueling.

But they do give breaks, and Horikoshi could take one if he wanted.
The key phrase here is if he wanted.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the weekly schedule is passive encouragement for overwork. if you take breaks, you’re an aberration. it’s noticeable in a bad way

it’s the same principle used for abusive “unlimited PTO” policies

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The ultimate problem, as it always is, is Capitalism. Perhaps someone should write a manga about punching it.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Lt. Lizard posted:

My Hero Academia is saved.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Where's the straw hat

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

One for All baby

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Kyte posted:

I said he was a bad example, not that Jump's schedules aren't grueling.

But they do give breaks, and Horikoshi could take one if he wanted.
The key phrase here is if he wanted.

It's this:

Oxxidation posted:

the weekly schedule is passive encouragement for overwork. if you take breaks, you’re an aberration. it’s noticeable in a bad way

it’s the same principle used for abusive “unlimited PTO” policies

If you allow abusive scheduling and worker policies to become the norm, even if you technically allow people ways to circumvent that abuse, it becomes expected that they will not. This is a problem in all sorts of lines of work - the company technically can't fire you for using your PTO, or not continuing to work for an hour after punching out, or for taking your sick days, but it gets noticed and can adversely affect how you are perceived by management and your colleagues and it can also affect things like promotions, raises, and business opportunities. This is a problem in many countries, but it's such an especially pernicious issue in Japan in particular that the Japanese government felt the need to invent and push a new monthly holiday to try to encourage employees to actually take more time off work, and even that has met with limited success.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
So as if to emphasize how badly Hori's work conditions have gotten, the new chapter this week is only 9 pages long.

Also the newest popularity polls are in.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

At this rate it'll be another year or two before he finishes. I wish he was allowed to just like, take a month off and give himself a break until he's ready to work again.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Delphisage posted:

So as if to emphasize how badly Hori's work conditions have gotten, the new chapter this week is only 9 pages long.

Also the newest popularity polls are in.

Didn't really seem like anything happened this chapter, either. Toga's still mad that no one wants to be stabbed by her, AFO is talking poo poo and wants to help Shiggy, Dabi is inexplicably still alive and whining about how he has to kill more people to spit in his dad's face, etc.

I wonder if Hori needs a month break at this point just to relax, because it seems like he's pretty burned out.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
He did a big high detail full color spread for the likely final character poll, so that's part of it.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Also lol at Mineta getting 69 votes

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Fabricated posted:

He did a big high detail full color spread for the likely final character poll, so that's part of it.

Does Shonen Jump make them draw the marketing assets too??? :psyduck: it's like they're designed to kill mangaka.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

TheHan posted:

Does Shonen Jump make them draw the marketing assets too??? :psyduck: it's like they're designed to kill mangaka.

Thinking about it, I think so actually.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I hope the character poll image of Bakugao is him lying there with his heart blown out like in that parody Mirko image.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TheHan posted:

Sometimes they make them draw the marketing assets for other series, even!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/5577/my-hero-academia-chapter-376

Yeah uh, nothing really happened this chapter. Guess I'm glad they remembered Jiro and Tokoyami are also there at least.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Rhonne posted:

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/5577/my-hero-academia-chapter-376

Yeah uh, nothing really happened this chapter. Guess I'm glad they remembered Jiro and Tokoyami are also there at least.

yeah only having 9 pages will do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

How I felt while reading Vigs this time last year.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Vigilantes could still be running right now and I'd probably still be enjoying it

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Hawks: Endeavor-san! We need you to beat the poo poo outta your kids like never before!

Endeavor: I thought you'd never ask :ssj:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Arist posted:

Vigilantes could still be running right now and I'd probably still be enjoying it

Nah I'm glad that it ended. The last arc dragged a little, but it ended well. And I would rather something end before I get exhausted with it than what's happening with this.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I just need another epilogue chapter where Koichi goes home and kisses his girlfriend.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Don't you worry guys, Koichi is going to show up any moment now with backup from the international heroes and also Gentle and La Brava to help turn the tide. Any moment now!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
AFO sheepishly looking down after Hawks pointed out endeavor beat his rear end was fun, at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Arist posted:

Six and Koichi have each pulled out their 47th Quirk evolution and have achieved low orbit combat height (Koichi by flying, Six by growing bigger)

Three more chapters and Six will probably try to smash Koichi with the moon

And then Tiger Bunny shows up