Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I never played the old one but I look forward to Ellie the psycho versus "fat princess"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Kratos picks up the golfclub item, joel comes running

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Blind Rasputin posted:

Learn what the symbols above the rooms mean, explore everything. The more you explore, pick up, and upgrade the longer you’ll last. Also would recommend learning how to leave the green health pickups all throughout the first level without picking them up. Then once all the rooms are cleared, use one or two to get full health and pick up all of them then to massively super upgrade your health bar length. Really, the true true strat is to not get hit and keep that health bar full so any green health you pick up goes straight into increasing your health bar length and total health pool.

Another thing about not getting hit...it's super important to keep your adrenaline at max as much as possible. The final tier gives you more money from kills, which means more crap you can buy at the store. So not getting hit is pretty important. Returnal is my favorite game of the past few years, but it has the standard "if you're good, you are rewarded, but if you struggle, you get weaker/it gets harder" that most games have.

The button remapping thing is (for me) mostly so I can dash without taking my thumbs off the sticks. I'm playing Rachet and Clank Rift Apart and there's a similar dash function that I haven't remapped (it's circle) and it feels really weird/clumsy to move my thumb for it. Plus it's probably destroying my muscle memory for Returnal, I better switch it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Having dash on on a shoulder just means you can track a target with the right stick while you dash. I like it, but realistically it’s only saving milliseconds. It doesn’t take that much time to nudge the reticule to compensate for the dash afterward, especially considering just how generous the games auto-aim is.

So, it’s nice but not at all essential. Maybe it could buy a few extra points on the Tower of Sisyphus scoreboards.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's the sort of thing you only really need to do for competitve multiplayer games or if you're gunning for a high score

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
It's me, I'm the fool who's going to play a new PSABR game. Sony has enough characters to fill out a good roster, especially if they can actually get Crash and Spyro this time.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
https://80.lv/articles/bandai-namco-will-share-more-elden-ring-news-in-the-coming-weeks/

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I never played PSABR but all the videos looked kind of ‘soulless’ and empty.

Smash Bros manages to have a unified style despite pulling from a million different franchises, but PSABR looks like a bunch of poo poo from different games stuck together.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Just add more of your characters to fortnite

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sony also struggled to fill out a roster of 'iconic' characters and did dumb stuff like using Ninja Theory Dante when everyone hated him.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sakurazuka posted:

Sony also struggled to fill out a roster of 'iconic' characters and did dumb stuff like using Ninja Theory Dante when everyone hated him.

Whereas now then can just license aiden pearce‘s cap

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
Have any of the people discounting bumper jumper in Returnal actually given it a fair shake to the point where they are no longer pressing buttons accidentally or doing the wrong thing? You've all gotten really used to and good at interrupting your movement and or aiming for a moment and coming back to it, but that doesn't mean you're not being inefficient, or that removing that obstacle can't allow for a smoother gamefeel.

You can do things you simply can't with a standard setup, like jump and dash to your back right at the same time to evade enemies coming from your front left, while at the *exact same time* spinning around so you're jumping backwards and aiming at your front left, meleeing once before you even hit the ground for the reduced cooldown. It just feels soooo good for this game.

That said, you do need to end up holding it a bit weird. L2/R2 get held and pressed with the middle fingers. Ps5 is the only controller in history where this is doable or comfortable for me.

Bugblatter posted:

Having dash on on a shoulder just means you can track a target with the right stick while you dash. I like it, but realistically it’s only saving milliseconds. It doesn’t take that much time to nudge the reticule to compensate for the dash afterward, especially considering just how generous the games auto-aim is.

So, it’s nice but not at all essential. Maybe it could buy a few extra points on the Tower of Sisyphus scoreboards.

it's not about saving milliseconds it's about the game feeling way smoother and more immersive because you're not having to subconsciously correct for things like camera movement.

Costco Meatballs fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 16, 2022

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think Sony wanted to use more characters like Lara Croft but lost out on most of the licenses. I think they technically own Spider-Man which would be weird to see.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I used the face buttons and I cleared the entire game on my third try and scored something like 47 mil in Ascension, I’m good with how it feels thanks

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Dec 16, 2022

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dodge on a non-face button is a disgrace.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Costco Meatballs posted:

Have any of the people discounting bumper jumper in Returnal actually given it a fair shake to the point where they are no longer pressing buttons accidentally or doing the wrong thing? You've all gotten really used to and good at interrupting your movement and or aiming for a moment and coming back to it, but that doesn't mean you're not being inefficient, or that removing that obstacle can't allow for a smoother gamefeel.

You can do things you simply can't with a standard setup, like jump and dash to your back right at the same time to evade enemies coming from your front left, while at the *exact same time* spinning around so you're jumping backwards and aiming at your front left, meleeing once before you even hit the ground for the reduced cooldown. It just feels soooo good for this game.

That said, you do need to end up holding it a bit weird. L2/R2 get held and pressed with the middle fingers.

it's not about saving milliseconds it's about the game feeling way smoother and more immersive because you're not having to subconsciously correct for things like camera movement.

Yeah but none of that matters enough to actually be important. Most people just enjoy playing their games without thinking too hard about that stuff.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd rather put dodge on a face button than ever use my middle finger on L2R2

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Sakurazuka posted:

:hmmyes:

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

kirbysuperstar posted:

It was a noble attempt I guess but the 'only supers kill' system wasn't exactly logical to newcomers and it had almost as many "dude with gun" characters as smash bros has fire emblems

the stage mashups were super cool though, especially watching a bunch of loco rocos attack a mg ray

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAu5EXzW6lg

My favorite was the patapons attacking GoW Hades

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Sakurazuka posted:

I'd rather have to physically roll across my living room to input dodge than do this.

Oxxidation posted:

I used the face buttons and I cleared the entire game on my third try and scored something like 47 mil in Ascension, I’m good with how it feels thanks

I didn't return to the game after beating it but yeah I went through the entire thing on my fifth life in a fever dream and it was great.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Oh yeah sometimes I forget that bumper jumper and other specific controller mappings require you to use your index and middle fingers on the L1/R1 and L2/R2 buttons simultaneously. I guess most people aren’t used to it and only use their index fingers on 1/2 as required, but once you do reprogram your brain and fingers there’s no going back.

Sorry in advance for the derail this is going to spur.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
Haha, a lot of people being very hyperbolic to say 'no I have not given it a chance.'

I am not sorry for the derail .

If you have dodge on anything BUT L1 playing Hades, that's just indisputably wrong though.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

I forced myself to learn using both index and middle fingers at the same time I think sometime between the PS3 and PS4 generations, by intentionally making myself do it because I realized it was more efficient and objectively better even though it felt uncomfortable at first. Best dexterity skill advancement for me since learning to use analog sticks, or something like that.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

On the topic of a new PSASBR, I would def play that. The original had a good baseline but some fundamental design flaws that were already covered by other posters, but I always welcome more serious contenders in the platform fighters space. The best one so far that doesn’t have a dozen Fire Emblem swordsmen in it MultiVersus, which is pretty good and I finished out the first Battle Pass for it. But I would definitely welcome PS Studios taking another serious swing at it.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Lara Croft was my personal crazy reveal hope for Smash after Snake and Cloud made it seem like all bets were off. Sony can win me over without too much trouble...

Lara & Tomba vs. Psycho Mantis
Giant Blasto vs. Team Bubsy

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know who that guy is a rereg of

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
Long time listener first time caller. Y'all are so friendly though I'll keep posting in here for sure.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Costco Meatballs posted:

Long time listener first time caller. Y'all are so friendly though I'll keep posting in here for sure.

Welcome to the posting zone! Enjoy your stay :)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Welcome to the thread! I used the default bindings on Hades too, I’m afraid to say.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I also used the default controls for Hades which is pressing square to throw it in the bin! Hhaha

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Costco Meatballs posted:

Long time listener first time caller.

Costco Meatballs posted:

I am not sorry for the derail.

If you have dodge on anything BUT L1 playing Hades, that's just indisputably wrong though.

This is like when you download a PS5 game then load an old PS4 save file and all the trophies just autopop so you get the platinum in 20 seconds. You're gonna fit right in

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

fridge corn posted:

I also used the default controls for Hades which is pressing square to throw it in the bin! Hhaha

cursed

I'm not a fan of either roguelikes or difficult action games but I still loved Hades up until I was consistently getting to the last act, at which point my limited skill made it not fun anymore

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I have way more important uses for my middle finger than L2/R2

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
For me, Returnal was so fast paced it was physically uncomfortable to keep taking my thumb off the stick in order to dodge. The most important thing in Returnal is not getting hit. Shooting is secondary.

My advice: remap to shoulder buttons as mentioned, and use the Carbine until you unlock leech bullets. If the game is hard for you, leech bullets will get you through.

Also, set the auto aim reticle in options menu to the largest size. Folks say it's frustrating that Returnal has no difficulty settings, but that's not true: The auto aim setting IS the difficulty setting.

Still one of the most jaw dropping games I've played. Glad PC folks are going to get a chance to play.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

negativeneil posted:

For me, Returnal was so fast paced it was physically uncomfortable to keep taking my thumb off the stick in order to dodge. The most important thing in Returnal is not getting hit. Shooting is secondary.

My advice: remap to shoulder buttons as mentioned, and use the Carbine until you unlock leech bullets. If the game is hard for you, leech bullets will get you through.

Also, set the auto aim reticle in options menu to the largest size. Folks say it's frustrating that Returnal has no difficulty settings, but that's not true: The auto aim setting IS the difficulty setting.

Still one of the most jaw dropping games I've played. Glad PC folks are going to get a chance to play.

No crossplay, unfortunately :*(

It's fine, I was most likely going to buy on pc anyway

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1603480074522705922?t=plwkzn2-QEtKGv7H9jEbIw&s=19

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

The greatest shame to bring to your family.

Can i get a
Rougeeee of lovee!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

exquisite tea posted:

Give Parappa the Rapper a fatality.

Give ONLY Parappa the Rapper a fatality.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Costco Meatballs posted:

I completely overhauled the control settings for Immortals Fenyx Rising in order to match the Hades settings as closely as possible since that was the next game I played, to the point that I could simply not perform some of the moves in that game anymore because there was nowhere else to fit them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm watching a God of War 3 playthrough and lmao I had forgotten about the guitar hero puzzle