Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Tankbuster posted:

remember that all of this decade long drama started because two months before release, WB forced snyder to cut out half an hour from his 2.5 hour movie to fit in more screenings. The plot was cut out and the entire thing spiraled into the present day where snyder got one of the last spigots of unlimited netflixbux alongside del toro, Henry Cavill is EPing a 40k production with Jeff Bezos' money and DC's comics are being run by someone whose big movie made less money than the space jam sequel.

i'm still surprised WoT was greenlit at all, especially after MTV shannara

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Mantis42 posted:

Ellison is full of poo poo, the Terminator is barely similar to his story. It doesn't have killer robots, it doesn't involve assassinating an unborn future savior of humanity, it's just another time travel story.

nah

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Xaris posted:

i was mostly paying attention to the money brain and okey dokey doctah jones as a kid

when discussing how good temple of doom is, it's important to emphasize precisely how hosed up and racist the characters are

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT3QOKam-XI

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

when discussing how good temple of doom is, it's important to emphasize precisely how hosed up and racist the characters are

It's a shame they had to tone it down for Young Indiana Jones

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
tbh its so bizarrely racist that I can't even find it offensive. The love interest lady was really shrill.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

looks fun

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1603752008665776134

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tankbuster posted:

tbh its so bizarrely racist that I can't even find it offensive. The love interest lady was really shrill.

I've come around to Short Round actually being cool, but Willie was terrible all around

if Lucas does another Old Indy movie he should bring back Middle-aged Short Round IMO, as atonement

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

tbh the trailer tells you nothing about the movie itself but I liked the 2001 tribute, it worked well

it works better as an Internet Short about dolls than as a trailer for Greta Gerwig's 'BARBIE'

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I never doubted Gerwig.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

loquacius posted:

Middle-aged Short Round

Tall Round

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

:hellyeah:

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

loquacius posted:

if Lucas does another Old Indy movie he should bring back Middle-aged Short Round IMO, as atonement

if they did this but then doubled down on the boggle-eyed racism it might be worth it on the jaw drop factor alone

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

loquacius posted:

I've come around to Short Round actually being cool, but Willie was terrible all around

weird how they spelt "spear" as "dial"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfVYgWYaHmE

also lol just noticed they de-aged him for some (probably flashback) shots

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Justin Tyme posted:

weird how they spelt "spear" as "dial"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfVYgWYaHmE

also lol just noticed they de-aged him for some (probably flashback) shots

oh it's the bad dates guy, he's back

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

they should have a scene where he's swiping disinterestedly through Tinder, shaking his head in disappointment, but not actually have him say "bad dates" out loud at any point

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Anyway,

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1603513874489155590

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

he routinely thanks his wife in his acknowledgements for being wiser and generally a better person than him and he was right

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Tankbuster posted:

iirc Capshaw was Spielberg's wife at the time

e: wait they got married in 1991 so maybe he met her on the set and then wooed her?

DR FRASIER KRANG has issued a correction as of 17:33 on Dec 16, 2022

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mad respect for spielberg getting amrish puri to play a racist trope in temple of doom

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

AnimeIsTrash posted:

mad respect for spielberg getting amrish puri to play a racist trope in temple of doom

wiki posted:

Puri was chosen as Spielberg and Lucas did not want to cast a European actor and apply dark make-up.

GOOD CALL STEVEN

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

GOOD CALL STEVEN

The jam session where Spielberg, Lucas, and Lawrence Kasdan are spitballing ideas for Indiana Jones is wild: https://indiefilmhustle.com/raiders-of-the-lost-ark-story-conference-transcript/

G — This is where he goes into the cave. We had it where there’s a couple native bearers, whatever, and sort of a couple of Mexican, well not Mexican… Let’s put it…

S — They’re like Mayan.

G — They’re the third world local sleazos. Whether, they’re Mexicans or Arabs or whatever.

S — They carry the boxes over their heads. They fall off cliffs.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol jesus

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Later on George thinks it'd be "interesting" if Marion was 12 when she and Indy first get together and that she seduces him

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

quote:

G — And we want to spend our money on stunts. We want to have “Wind and the Lion” action. Spend it all on stunt guys falling off horses, rather than one crowd scene scene with sixteen thousand extras for one shot.

S — You can also steal that anywhere in the mideast.

G — Maybe we’ll work something like that out. Even then, for production value and entertainment value, it’s much better to have a terrific stunt than to have a scene with eight thousand extras. I don’t think we need lots of crowds.

S — (garbled) You can always get that in some other countries. It’s no problem. G — It’s all period. That’s the problem.

S —In places like Bombay it doesn’t make any difference.

G — Again, that’s one of those stock footage things. You want to send an “A” camera man and a production manager over there, tell them to make a deal with some New Delhi film company to supply fifteen old cars and eight thousand extras and we’ll pay them seven thousand dollars. You photograph the stuff and bring it back here. Or like Hong Kong, go to Run Run Shaw, say we want three shots like this. You gaff the whole thing and we’ll pay you X number of dollars send. Send your cameraman, or a good second unit camera man whom you trust, and a production manager to handle it financially, and they do it, and you come back with dailies of an establishing shot with ten thousand extras.

interesting bit from George on the relationship between Hollywood productions and local companies

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

loquacius posted:

oh it's the bad dates guy, he's back

respect John Rhys-Davies, he isnt simply the bad dates guy

hes also the guy who got camels instead of horses

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
“third world local sleazos”

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

interesting bit from George on the relationship between Hollywood productions and local companies

idk what India was like in the 80's but I'm lolling at them handwaving this stuff then showing up in Bombay to film some "crowd scenes" and the sound of tens of thousands of scooters revving their engine and honking their horns in the background of a scene set in the 1930's

it's like if some German film studio was filming a period western thinking they can get some cheap b-roll footage if they just search for "ranches near yuma arizona" in google maps and showing up to a chud's bungalow with a lifted truck

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Lucas should have told run run shaw I’ll fund a venoms movie in SW universe.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
there should be an Indiana Jones/Star Wars crossover where Indy meets Jar-Jar, Watto and the Neimodians

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
every racist stereotype from every George Lucas property comes in for a HUGE party!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

every racist stereotype from every George Lucas property comes in for a HUGE party!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBiKGc9ZOl4

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Tankbuster posted:

yup. it's that kind of weird Nice California Liberal 80s-era racism where it's like ol' Georgey knows racism is bad and would never do a racism! i hate racism!! i'm celebrating other cultures! I want to promote non-whiteness and diversity!!! with complete sincerity but is itself so absolutely bizarrely over the top racist it actually kinda loops around to being inoffensive

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the Blair Witch/BloodRayne Shared Multimedia Universe is the next big property after WH40K

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
is anyone still watching the His Dark Materials show? i liked season1 okay but i couldn't really penetrate season2. it felt kinda boring. i see theres now yet another, is it better?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Xaris posted:

is anyone still watching the His Dark Materials show? i liked season1 okay but i couldn't really penetrate season2. it felt kinda boring. i see theres now yet another, is it better?

I have not watched it and only have the following opinion: bad name for a show.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I have not watched it and only have the following opinion: bad name for a show.

They should have done what HBO did with GOT and just named it Golden Compass, not even a "the" in there

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Justin Tyme posted:

idk what India was like in the 80's but I'm lolling at them handwaving this stuff then showing up in Bombay to film some "crowd scenes" and the sound of tens of thousands of scooters revving their engine and honking their horns in the background of a scene set in the 1930's

they don't use the audio in shots like that.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

oof that av

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Xaris posted:

yup. it's that kind of weird Nice California Liberal 80s-era racism where it's like ol' Georgey knows racism is bad and would never do a racism! i hate racism!! i'm celebrating other cultures! I want to promote non-whiteness and diversity!!! with complete sincerity but is itself so absolutely bizarrely over the top racist it actually kinda loops around to being inoffensive

it's pulling directly from old two-fisted pulp fiction poo poo out of the 30s, doc savage and like that, and as racist and hosed up as indiana jones is, the stuff it's based on was unspeakably worse, without even the courtesy of a wink and a nudge to try and paper it over

indiana jones: progressive icon and fucker of teens