Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

If I post where I am on Twitter am I doxxing myself? If I take a picture of someone at a public event and @ them am I doxxing both of us? If I post a recent link to an image with coordinate data am I doxxing everyone in the photo? If I say I am going to meet someone at a public place in the near future am I doxxing us? Seeing a rich idiot in charge of so much just reminds me how the entire system is rigged and nothing really matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
You can post where you are on twitter, but everyone who retweets will be banned

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Find myself wanting to make jokes about assassination coordinates but I also don't want to upset the secret service

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Not musk related, but:

I yesterday wore some cologne to a company holiday party. I don't often wear it, my partner commented on the name of it, once.

We cover and disable any sort of always-on microphone on all of our devices like phones, etc.

I did not google the cologne. My partner did not. Nobody else talked to me about it at all.

I received a Facebook ad for that *exact* cologne this morning. I don't regularly receive ads for cologne.

I'm trying to figure out how that ad happened.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
You only noticed the ad because you talked about the cologne, not the other way around.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I regularly check to see what ads I'm being fed because I'm interested in how this works, and it was the exact brand, not just a random similar product, within 24 hours of wearing it.

I know what other cologne ads I get, it's always from a different company.

It can be a coincidence, just seems odd.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I prefer to turn off all suggested ads and force advertisers to waste money desperately trying to hawk poo poo i don't care about.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
It's a coincidence. People have spent a very considerable amount of time and effort debunking those "Facebook listens to your microphone" myths.

They simply are not true.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
If you ordered the cologne yourself online then a tracking cookie could have gotten its mitten on it and its appearance is more of a coincidence. Stuff likes to advertise things I just bought back at me.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

We cover and disable any sort of always-on microphone on all of our devices like phones, etc.

what do you mean by cover? like even as a lame nerd that does privacy/security theater of doing normal browsing with a vpn, I just have my phone on my desk.

granted I try to keep it in its phonecase, face down.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
its a coincidence because i get similar correlations between "i talked about a thing" -> "here's an ad for thing" but i don't have a smartphone and my flip phone is not at all tied to my identity in any trackable way

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Edit:wrong thread

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

PhazonLink posted:

what do you mean by cover? like even as a lame nerd that does privacy/security theater of doing normal browsing with a vpn, I just have my phone on my desk.

granted I try to keep it in its phonecase, face down.

I have a slug that goes into the headphone jack of my phone that should force it turn off the internal mic and switch it the external which is receiving no input.

I'm aware of the fact that the microphone stuff has been debunked, and I'm also aware of the fact that if I value privacy I should be off all social media, especially anything by Meta.

I'm just not 100% rational economic actor.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Jaxyon posted:

Not musk related, but:

I yesterday wore some cologne to a company holiday party. I don't often wear it, my partner commented on the name of it, once.

I did not google the cologne. My partner did not. Nobody else talked to me about it at all.

I received a Facebook ad for that *exact* cologne this morning. I don't regularly receive ads for cologne.

Is it that uncommon of a cologne? Maybe your friends' tastes or searches might be affecting what you see. I feel like I get all kinds of political ads I don't want to see thanks to the Facebook friends I have.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Meanwhile I'm still getting adverts for a local Trunk-or-Treat :shrug:

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

It's not a coincidence, it's because you got vaxed. :tinfoil:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
that talk might have influenced some of your friends on FB to google said cologne, and apparently ad tracking also uses your network for ad suggestion. but yeah some times it's just a coincidence

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

CmdrRiker posted:

It's not a coincidence, it's because you got vaxed. :tinfoil:

I mean there was a bird outside my house yesterday, and we all know those little shits aren't real

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
also you never think about the times where you talked about something and didn't get ad suggestions for it (probably in the hundreds to thousands)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

I have a slug that goes into the headphone jack of my phone that should force it turn off the internal mic and switch it the external which is receiving no input.

That's......something else.

And likely 100% ineffective. You really think there's a physical switch that is interrupting wiring to the mic in your headphone jack? There's a physical switch alright, but it's just pulling a pin low on a controller so the software can know when to do something different.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

Not musk related, but:

…cologne…

uh huh

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Motronic posted:

That's......something else.

And likely 100% ineffective. You really think there's a physical switch that is interrupting wiring to the mic in your headphone jack? There's a physical switch alright, but it's just pulling a pin low on a controller so the software can know when to do something different.

I imagine a particularly malicious attacker could do whatever they want and I think there is an API to select a whatever microphone so somebody could code it to just use the built-in. However, I also think it would work for most of these apps. It's a "do not attribute to malice what you can attribute to incompetent malice" kind of thing.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Even the Soviets understood that it's not the content of calls that's worth keeping, but the metadata - who called whom and when. Just from that you could infer a lot about any individual. Facebook has even more, they don't need your recordings

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

I regularly check to see what ads I'm being fed because I'm interested in how this works, and it was the exact brand, not just a random similar product, within 24 hours of wearing it.

I know what other cologne ads I get, it's always from a different company.

It can be a coincidence, just seems odd.

Someone knew you bought it. The store sells the data about the customers, and it gets fed into the hundreds (thousands?) of data mining companies that resell it. You don’t need to have your phone listening. It’s everywhere.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

F4rt5 posted:

Someone knew you bought it. The store sells the data about the customers, and it gets fed into the hundreds (thousands?) of data mining companies that resell it. You don’t need to have your phone listening. It’s everywhere.

Yeah but It's like a 10 year old bottle and I haven't seen an ad for it ever until today.

I realize it's unlikely that It's an ultra-targetted ad listening to my every word, but it's super disconcerting that it came up right now, out of nowhere.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
John Carmack left Meta. Here's his Facebook post:

quote:

I resigned from my position as an executive consultant for VR with Meta. My internal post to the company got leaked to the press, but that just results in them picking a few choice bits out of it. Here is the full post, just as the internal employees saw it:
-------------
This is the end of my decade in VR.
I have mixed feelings.
Quest 2 is almost exactly what I wanted to see from the beginning – mobile hardware, inside out tracking, optional PC streaming, 4k (ish) screen, cost effective. Despite all the complaints I have about our software, millions of people are still getting value out of it. We have a good product. It is successful, and successful products make the world a better place. It all could have happened a bit faster and been going better if different decisions had been made, but we built something pretty close to The Right Thing.
The issue is our efficiency.
Some will ask why I care how the progress is happening, as long as it is happening?
If I am trying to sway others, I would say that an org that has only known inefficiency is ill prepared for the inevitable competition and/or belt tightening, but really, it is the more personal pain of seeing a 5% GPU utilization number in production. I am offended by it.
[edit: I was being overly poetic here, as several people have missed the intention. As a systems optimization person, I care deeply about efficiency. When you work hard at optimization for most of your life, seeing something that is grossly inefficient hurts your soul. I was likening observing our organization's performance to seeing a tragically low number on a profiling tool.]
We have a ridiculous amount of people and resources, but we constantly self-sabotage and squander effort. There is no way to sugar coat this; I think our organization is operating at half the effectiveness that would make me happy. Some may scoff and contend we are doing just fine, but others will laugh and say “Half? Ha! I’m at quarter efficiency!”
It has been a struggle for me. I have a voice at the highest levels here, so it feels like I should be able to move things, but I’m evidently not persuasive enough. A good fraction of the things I complain about eventually turn my way after a year or two passes and evidence piles up, but I have never been able to kill stupid things before they cause damage, or set a direction and have a team actually stick to it. I think my influence at the margins has been positive, but it has never been a prime mover.
This was admittedly self-inflicted – I could have moved to Menlo Park after the Oculus acquisition and tried to wage battles with generations of leadership, but I was busy programming, and I assumed I would hate it, be bad at it, and probably lose anyway.
Enough complaining. I wearied of the fight and have my own startup to run, but the fight is still winnable! VR can bring value to most of the people in the world, and no company is better positioned to do it than Meta. Maybe it actually is possible to get there by just plowing ahead with current practices, but there is plenty of room for improvement.
Make better decisions and fill your products with “Give a drat”!

and his thread of tweets on the subject:

quote:

I resigned from Meta, and my internal post got leaked to the press, resulting in some fragmented quotes. Here is the full thing: (link to above)

As anyone who listens to my unscripted Connect talks knows, I have always been pretty frustrated with how things get done at FB/Meta. Everything necessary for spectacular success is right there, but it doesn't get put together effectively.

I thought that the "derivative of delivered value" was positive in 2021, but that it turned negative in 2022. There are good reasons to believe that it just edged back into positive territory again, but there is a notable gap between Mark Zuckerberg and I on various strategic \

issues, so I knew it would be extra frustrating to keep pushing my viewpoint internally. I am all in on building AGI at Keen Technologies now.
(bolding mine)

Keen Technologies is his new startup.

Zuckerberg can't be happy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Heh, Keen.

Carmack is notoriously a bit of a weird robot of a dude but figures he's still better at it than Zuck.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

Not musk related, but:

Couple of different ways.

The first is simple apophinia. You got a cologne ad and your monkey brain immediately tried to pattern recognize even though you talk about thousands of different things in any given month and the overwhelming majority never appear on your ads and/or go unnoticed.

We see the same behavior in Baader-meinhof, which is the phenomenon that occurs when you learn a new term or concept and then see it everywhere. It was there before, your brain just didn't register it as important.

The other is that you were at a company holiday party. A lot of people there are probably wearing cologne. If one of them searched it, and you were nearby, the algorithm might associate you with them and suggest things they searched.

My mom, for example, got a Gunpla ad after she visited me earlier this momth. I never touched her phone, never talked about it at all, but I buy Gunpla, google knows she is my mom, she came to visit me, and it thought, hey, maybe you could buy him a Gunpla.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

John Carmack left Meta. Here's his Facebook post:

and his thread of tweets on the subject:

(bolding mine)

Keen Technologies is his new startup.

Zuckerberg can't be happy.

What is "AGI"?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mister Facetious posted:

What is "AGI"?

"Artificial General Intelligence"

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

there's an iron law or something about aging technical people being credulous about contemporary research
his twitter musings about deep learning and language models is like undergrad level stuff these days

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
yes let's not give Carmack the benefit of the doubt, since he has a track record of underachieving

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

well he talks fast enough to fool me :dumb: the ben shapiro of tech

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Sagacity posted:

yes let's not give Carmack the benefit of the doubt, since he has a track record of underachieving

He's a libertarian dipshit but in terms of making fast video game engines, which are what make VR possible in the first place, he has a pretty good idea. Everything that is good about the Quest (including it's existence) is mostly down to Carmack. He was right about mobile VR, inside out tracking and that the focus should be on performance and games, not stupid metaverse poo poo.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
What does that 5% GPU utilization number mean? Does it mean the software is maxing the CPU while only using 5% of GPU capacity? Or that only 5% of customers have a GPU?

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Heh, Keen.

Carmack is notoriously a bit of a weird robot of a dude but figures he's still better at it than Zuck.

Weird choice, considering his past statements/sentiment to the series. Can't say I don't appreciate the nod, though!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

thekeeshman posted:

What does that 5% GPU utilization number mean? Does it mean the software is maxing the CPU while only using 5% of GPU capacity? Or that only 5% of customers have a GPU?

That sounds to me like the GPU was only using 5% of it's theoretical peak throughput because the software is so bad.

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

I think it’s more so a reference to employee output, ie his team is only achieving 5% of what they could

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Jaxyon posted:

Not musk related, but:

It is location based. People at the party around you kept searching "cologne that smells like rear end" and your cologne, "rear end by Givenchy", came up. You're in the same location cohort, so targeting advertisers figured you'd like to know about said cologne too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr posted:

I think it’s more so a reference to employee output, ie his team is only achieving 5% of what they could

Yeah, I think he was being metaphorical; he's been about pushing the limits ever since they got Mario to work on a 2/386, and he was referring to the staff.

I couldn't help but read that line in Doctor Manhattan's voice though :v:
"it is the more personal pain of seeing a 5% GPU utilization number in production. I am offended by it."

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 17, 2022