Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

why not make the entire guitar out of the pickguard?

you joke but does a pickguard really serve a purpose on a poly finish? I guess they may scuff but how the hell would you ever eat through it with just pick friction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
90's Fender Mexi Jazz Bass

That's finger or nail wear. Even wore away some of the pickguard and the edges of the pickups. A poly finish will wear, it's just going to take a lot more time or concentrated "effort" from the player.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Fresh from the lunatic luthiers of AliExpress

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Tad Naff posted:

JJaagguuaarr

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Mine has a Floyd Rose. But that sounds weird. I do have a Hipshot bridge on my Ormsby and it feels fine, in fact I can't really feel the saddles much at all because the strings still sit a little higher than the top of the saddle. If those kind of bridges have the action screws too long, those sometimes poke out and feel stabby. You can get shorter screws in that case.

Hipshot yeah, and it's not the screws, they are flush or sit perfectly out of the way. It's the corner of the drat saddle LOL.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

is it bad that loveless doesn't really sound noisy to me anymore

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

landgrabber posted:

Glad you got your vacuum cleaner fixed, LG.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

landgrabber posted:

unfortunately that's the first symptom of terminal "noise brain". if you don't want to end up listening to Merzbow i suggest a heavy dose of easy listening songs daily, try "If" by Bread for starters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQyKMueMFGk

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

a.p. dent posted:

unfortunately that's the first symptom of terminal "noise brain". if you don't want to end up listening to Merzbow i suggest a heavy dose of easy listening songs daily, try "If" by Bread for starters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQyKMueMFGk

lol you know what's funny? lately i've been into super mellow stuff. i think i just ended up cooking my brain with all of my demos and me turning up the distortion so it sounded crunchy in the room

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

landgrabber posted:

a.p. dent posted:

unfortunately that's the first symptom of terminal "noise brain". if you don't want to end up listening to Merzbow...

Its 3am and it took me a while to realise that this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjWF_6Nu6MI

is not the Loveless you were talking about. I watched it for a couple minutes waiting for the noise to kick in.

I've been listening to drone metal with my 18mo at naptime and thought maybe I'd given myself 'noise brain' too.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Is there a tuneomatic style bridge I can swap onto the posts of my current one that lets you adjust the action for individual strings?

Edit: I’m getting buzz only on my D and G strings.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i think if youre getting buzz on just those specific strings it may be an issue with the nut.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Slight buzz on g and d on an electric isnt too abnormal, as long as you can’t hear it through the amp is the general consensus but ymmv. I can’t really get d string buzz to ever go away fully on my sg.

A couple things I’m going to look into on my sg about that: the bridge (mine is slightly collapsing, and I’ve also heard the notches if improperly sized or burred in the bridge metal can create buzz). And I haven’t attacked the nut yet

ethanol fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 14, 2022

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Tad Naff posted:

Can you link? I'm curious about the stuff you can get on there, I was thinking of doing a partscaster. How is it? Does it have the 24" scale?

Edit: Also is that an extra switch on the rhythm side? Think there's an extra dial as well?

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

ethanol posted:

Slight buzz on g and d on an electric isnt too abnormal, as long as you can’t hear it through the amp is the general consensus but ymmv. I can’t really get d string buzz to ever go away fully on my sg.

A couple things I’m going to look into on my sg about that: the bridge (mine is slightly collapsing, and I’ve also heard the notches if improperly sized or burred in the bridge metal can create buzz). And I haven’t attacked the nut yet

It’s not a horrible buzz, but because it’s an arch top I notice it a lot when not plugged in. I think I can raise the whole action a bit and try to mitigate it. If it’s the nut through I might just take it to someone and have them deal with it.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
If its just the open strings buzzing the most, it's the nut.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Lol. Loose pick guard.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAfkxHcqWKI

Beato Corgan

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

liz phair and say anything have me wanting a mustang

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

landgrabber posted:

liz phair and say anything have me wanting a mustang

Mustang bass, like Tina Weymouth

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

short scales are just so comfy for me-- i'm pretty small and thin, and they're light as hell. i feel more in control when i play them.

but i also have hands like salad fingers -- thin and long fingers. so short scales let me stretch and do all sorts of nutty horizontal stuff. always liked decorating chords in the rhythm part w my left hand.

gently caress i'm convincing myself to buy another guitar arent i

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

landgrabber posted:

short scales are just so comfy for me-- i'm pretty small and thin, and they're light as hell. i feel more in control when i play them.

but i also have hands like salad fingers -- thin and long fingers. so short scales let me stretch and do all sorts of nutty horizontal stuff. always liked decorating chords in the rhythm part w my left hand.

gently caress i'm convincing myself to buy another guitar arent i

Mustang bass is short scale

I think there were a bunch between like 1993 and 2016 that weren't, but the one I have is and it rules and I love it. It's a guitar-sized bass.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I'm an old boomer I liked the billybeato show

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

beato called steven wilson a great engineer and songwriter, so he's ok in my book

that interview also led me to find out this happened: https://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/xtc-drums-and-wires-remixed-by-sw/

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
didn't Wilson say bends are sloppy and lazy

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

luchadornado posted:

beato called steven wilson a great engineer and songwriter, so he's ok in my book

that interview also led me to find out this happened: https://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/xtc-drums-and-wires-remixed-by-sw/

he did several xtc albums actually and made them waaay more listenable since late period xtc always struggled mixwise. his skylarking sounds incredible

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i constantly think about how the guitars on say anything - is a real boy were all line6 pods

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Modelling amps are good

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Spanish Manlove posted:

Modelling amps are good

that album is from 2004 when they were much much less good

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

The Fear posted:

didn't Wilson say bends are sloppy and lazy

Got to do it like Mustaine and bend into a strobe tuner to ensure non-sloppiness.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

landgrabber posted:

that album is from 2004 when they were much much less good

a good lesson: good music can be made without the best tools

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Almost all of the drums on Fashion Nugget are an 808. "Sounds bad" is situational and it's definitely possible to use any tone effectively.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Baron von Eevl posted:

Almost all of the drums on Fashion Nugget are an 808. "Sounds bad" is situational and it's definitely possible to use any tone effectively.

Wait who said an 808 sounds bad?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I feel like the percussionist from Big Black is maybe the better example...

Baron von Eevl posted:

it's definitely possible to use any tone effectively.

This is the x0x drum machine philosophy. They compress, saturate, EQ, etc *incredibly* well. 808 snare is a little weird dry but it sounds surprisingly close to something contemporary but acoustic if you run them both through a DBX 160 and a gated reverb.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Baron von Eevl posted:

"Sounds bad" is situational and it's definitely possible to use any tone effectively.

behold my prog-rock concept album where all the percussion is "dog coughing up pond water"

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Digging through my wife's stuff back at her parents, she found this really embarrassing poem she submitted to one of those "young poets of america" book scams, so I wrote a song with it for a gag Christmas present. And now that it's all recorded, it sounds all mis-mixed and I am just not smart enough to figure out why.

THAT'S what I wish I had an ear for. I'd rather have a few hours of a class in that than in any sort of playing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Huxley posted:

Digging through my wife's stuff back at her parents, she found this really embarrassing poem she submitted to one of those "young poets of america" book scams, so I wrote a song with it for a gag Christmas present. And now that it's all recorded, it sounds all mis-mixed and I am just not smart enough to figure out why.

THAT'S what I wish I had an ear for. I'd rather have a few hours of a class in that than in any sort of playing.

aww poo poo, guess you gotta post it here and let us critique it for you

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ok Comboomer posted:

aww poo poo, guess you gotta post it here and let us critique it for you

https://on.soundcloud.com/gPE3G

The only other thing I need to do is get the girls home to double the "oh oh ohs" and "no no nos." I think an issue is it's all mid-rangey. I tried to bring up the highs in the drums to fill it but I'm not sure it isn't obnoxious. Hrm. Maybe another guitar part but there's already a lot going on here. A solo?

(Again, keep in mind this was written by a 15 year old in about 1995.)

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

luchadornado posted:

behold my prog-rock concept album where all the percussion is "dog coughing up pond water"

I'm not linking the Venetian Snares & Hecate breakcore album that is made of samples from the audio of a sextape they made, as I think describing it here makes the point just as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
An 808 by itself sounds almost nothing like a real drum set. It also sounds great in a mix if you know what you're doing and use it in the right way. A Line6 Pod isn't as flexible as an 808, but both are artificial sounding and lame if you don't use them right. I'm not saying an 808 sounds bad, I'm saying a single element like that only sounds "bad" if you're using it wrong.

Buy I'm also the guy that doesn't really mind the St. Anger snare sound.