Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

lobotomy molo posted:

i'm just now catching up on blowback season 3, and god drat the US of A:
- slaughtering and torturing tens of thousands of civilians in south korea
- rounding up north korean women and children, locking them in warehouses, giving them human piss to drink, then setting the warehouses on fire
- dropping more bombs on north korea than on nazi germany, leveling literally every single building they could find
- dropping napalm and germ warfare payloads on civilians
- blowing up one huge dams after another

one horrific war crime after another, all done with genocidal intent as part of a 'police action' in the war the US still refuses to formally end. jfc :psypop:

i dont know what to tell you. communists come from the masses. to root out communism you have to kill the masses :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

lobotomy molo posted:

i'm just now catching up on blowback season 3, and god drat the US of A:
- slaughtering and torturing tens of thousands of civilians in south korea
- rounding up north korean women and children, locking them in warehouses, giving them human piss to drink, then setting the warehouses on fire
- dropping more bombs on north korea than on nazi germany, leveling literally every single building they could find
- dropping napalm and germ warfare payloads on civilians
- blowing up one huge dams after another

one horrific war crime after another, all done with genocidal intent as part of a 'police action' in the war the US still refuses to formally end. jfc :psypop:

Ah but have you considered the game of domino's?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

i dont know what to tell you. communists come from the masses. to root out communism you have to kill the masses :shrug:

The tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of innocent peasants, just the way it is.:patriot:

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
how many waves of mobilization has it been now for Ukraine? or have they ever stopped grabbing people up from the cities and shipping them out east at any point?

I have to say I haven't been overly impressed with the performance of the initial million man army, hopefully this one is a bit more effective.

How long the youth of Ukraine going to put up with getting trucked off to die in a pointless war who's only goal is to subjugate some provinces that are full of people who don't want to live under the Ukrainian regime?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I believe this is the eighth wave of mobilization.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Starsfan posted:

how many waves of mobilization has it been now for Ukraine? or have they ever stopped grabbing people up from the cities and shipping them out east at any point?

I have to say I haven't been overly impressed with the performance of the initial million man army, hopefully this one is a bit more effective.

How long the youth of Ukraine going to put up with getting trucked off to die in a pointless war who's only goal is to subjugate some provinces that are full of people who don't want to live under the Ukrainian regime?

The question is also how many are they getting with any military experience or are they down to raw recruits that have to be trained from essentially nothing? There has been a push to open up more training in NATO countries which seems to suggest they are getting raw recruits and shipping them out of country to try to make up their losses. It is also a question is the if they are able to recoup their losses fast enough.

As for the Ukrainian public, it is pretty debatable about what is going on. There is very little on what actual Ukrainians think at this point.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1603739227178549249

:hmmyes:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

As for the Ukrainian public, it is pretty debatable about what is going on. There is very little on what actual Ukrainians think at this point.

This is six weeks old, but a lot better than a statement from a Ukrainian govt public affairs official: https://news.gallup.com/poll/403133/ukrainians-support-fighting-until-victory.aspx

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Ardennes posted:

There has been a push to open up more training in NATO countries which seems to suggest they are getting raw recruits and shipping them out of country to try to make up their losses.

From what I understand the special training program that was going to be happening in NATO countries was more to build another force of commando types to do these offensives with.. I guess they've built their offensives on sending a bunch of guys in pickup trucks whipping around back roads and getting in behind the Russian militias holding the fronts ISIS style - I guess the idea being that this swarming stlye of offensive makes it tough for the Russians to respond effectively with their huge advantages in artillery, air support and tanks. It's been reported that their original strike forces were kind of fought out though after Kharkiv and Kherson and required reinforcement / replacement before any more offensives could be contemplated.

I think these poor souls that are rounded up are being shipped out straight to Bakhmut to try and hold on to that little piece of real estate, although I guess it could also be possible that Ukraine is getting increasingly worried about a Russian offensive pushing south out of Belarus and want to shore up the numbers in the west.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Starsfan posted:

From what I understand the special training program that was going to be happening in NATO countries was more to build another force of commando types to do these offensives with.. I guess they've built their offensives on sending a bunch of guys in pickup trucks whipping around back roads and getting in behind the Russian militias holding the fronts ISIS style - I guess the idea being that this swarming stlye of offensive makes it tough for the Russians to respond effectively with their huge advantages in artillery, air support and tanks. It's been reported that their original strike forces were kind of fought out though after Kharkiv and Kherson and required reinforcement / replacement before any more offensives could be contemplated.

I think these poor souls that are rounded up are being shipped out straight to Bakhmut to try and hold on to that little piece of real estate, although I guess it could also be possible that Ukraine is getting increasingly worried about a Russian offensive pushing south out of Belarus and want to shore up the numbers in the west.

The British at least were training regular army, and the Poles are probably as well, but the raw recruits will probably be used as simply frontline forces to hold territory. There does seem to be growing concern at the army amassing north of Kiev.

The big debate is would the Russians actually go after Kiev or instead attack west of it cutting it and that section of Ukraine off from the West while pushing in the east.

It is going to be about numbers, and the Russians do need a 3 to 1 advantage if they want to quickly take territory but at the same time the Ukrainians seem set on defending everything which is going to spread out their forces.

mlmp08 posted:

This is six weeks old, but a lot better than a statement from a Ukrainian govt public affairs official: https://news.gallup.com/poll/403133/ukrainians-support-fighting-until-victory.aspx

The poll is from early September, that is over 3 months old and during a period when they were on the offensive.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 21:00 on Dec 16, 2022

speng31b
May 8, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

this is definitely closer to realistic numbers than the 90+% support stuff floating around

quote:

Gallup collected these data Sept. 2-11 across all regions of Ukraine, including the Donbas, as the country's military successfully retook swathes of Russian-held territory but before the recent retaliatory missile attacks across the country.

[...]

The most recent spate of Russian missile attacks on Ukrainian cities and towns, far behind the front lines, have focused on civilian infrastructure. And, while ballistic missile attacks in the past have not broken the will of civilian populations to fight, Ukrainians' attitudes may shift if they are faced with a cold, dark winter due to the Russian attacks on infrastructure and increasing energy costs -- or, alternatively, such continued attacks may further strengthen the resolve of the population to fight.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

speng31b posted:

this is definitely closer to realistic numbers than the 90+% support stuff floating around

Yeah, if was 70/26 during a relatively rosy period of the conflict, it may be closer together now. Again, making a statement requires more current data.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

i wonder if you'll see a backlash against gallup for reporting something that's not just 99% favorable

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ukraine is winning so much one has to wonder what they're doing with all the money and weapons they're getting

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
ukraine is winning so hard that they sell off the guns and burn their own infrastructure out of a sense of sportsmanship

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

Ukraine is winning so much one has to wonder what they're doing with all the money and weapons they're getting

I do wonder at some point if the narrative that the Russians are vastly out numbered by a force with superior training and better equipment (to the point it's not even really comparable in any way to the trash the Russians are using) with the full financial backing of the entire NATO alliance wraps around back to bite the west. If the Russians can prevail against such impossible odds - and we were told time and again that the war was lost for Russia after the first week and there's no realistic way they can ever win - what does that imply if they do end up winning the war?

I mean I know what will actually happen is any peace settlement short of the full and permanent annexation of the entirety of the country of Ukraine will be portrayed as a spectacular victory for the west and Ukraine and the news / commentators just won't talk about the obvious failings and lessons learned along the way, but it's fun to think about.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

"i don't care if i freeze to death if it means helping ukraine"

"think! i don't care if you freeze to death either"

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Starsfan posted:

I do wonder at some point if the narrative that the Russians are vastly out numbered by a force with superior training and better equipment (to the point it's not even really comparable in any way to the trash the Russians are using) with the full financial backing of the entire NATO alliance wraps around back to bite the west. If the Russians can prevail against such impossible odds - and we were told time and again that the war was lost for Russia after the first week and there's no realistic way they can ever win - what does that imply if they do end up winning the war?

I mean I know what will actually happen is any peace settlement short of the full and permanent annexation of the entirety of the country of Ukraine will be portrayed as a spectacular victory for the west and Ukraine and the news / commentators just won't talk about the obvious failings and lessons learned along the way, but it's fun to think about.

I mean some online weirdos might ask some questions but lets be honest it will not go very far as everyone will be too busy celebrating Ukraine's grand victory of technically still existing.

NATO arms completely eradicated the Russians to the point they were forced to take Eastern Ukraine.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The real answer is that it doesn't matter what Ukrainians think, and never did. As long as the west keeps sending money and guns the kiev government and the army will keep fighting.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

The real answer is that it doesn't matter what Ukrainians think, and never did. As long as the west keeps sending money and guns the kiev government and the army will keep fighting.

right

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

That mean they will hold on to territory though especially if that cash and arms start slipping. If the Russians can push back the Ukrainians to core nationalist eras in the West, it is probably acceptable to them even if the AFU still exists.

But public sentiment does matter as it is going to create issues with morale: the ANA and ARVN got plenty of arms and funding but when push came to shove they didn't last long (the ANA took the all-time record). You can have arms but if the guys in the trenches just refuse to fight it doesn't really matter except for giving a bunch of goodies to the other side.

It is why the Ukrainians need to crow about huge upcoming counter-offensives; they need to show the public (and therefore conscripts) that the war is winnable.

...if they can keep morale up

quote:

In the summer of 1974, Nixon resigned under the pressure of the Watergate scandal and was succeeded by Gerald Ford. With the war growing incredibly unpopular at home, combined with a severe economic recession and mounting budget deficits, Congress cut funding to South Vietnam for the upcoming fiscal year from 1 billion to 700 million dollars. Historians have attributed the fall of Saigon in 1975 to the cessation of American aid along with the growing disenchantment of the South Vietnamese people and the rampant corruption and incompetence of South Vietnam political leaders and ARVN general staff.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 22:19 on Dec 16, 2022

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Russia would need to go on an offensive first though.

Throwing people into ditches and letting them get shelled is good enough for what's happening right now.

And Ukraine still has parts of their regular army that Russia will have to fight at some point.

Morale will tip the scales but I doubt it's going to decide how things go.

Ukrainian government delayed mobilizing women by a year, maybe they'll need them by then.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Honestly I'm not sure if Ukraine will even have enough meat on its bones by the time this is over to have plundering what they still have access to to even equate to what they were extracting pre war.

All in all this seems to have exhausted them without actually providing much more profit (because if there was more to make from MIC finding they'd be doing it, and now they have to hypothetically reduce that profit due to pressure to make enough material to keep the peons under their thumb).

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Did anyone bother translating Girkin's update from yesterday because lol?

I am not going to bother, but the last paragraph is the one that counts imo

Стрелков Игорь Иванович posted:

General conclusion:
The situation on the front generally remains unchanged. The approach of the RF Armed Forces command to operations under the general command of General Surovikin has not changed at all - the futile tactical level attacks on the fortified positions of the AFU, mainly by the AF units of the LDNR and PMCs, continue. The strategic initiative is completely in the hands of the AFU, but the enemy is in no hurry to use it for reasons unknown to me.
(from t.me/strelkovii/3531, via tgsa)

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

douglas macarthur: :hmmyes:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

Russia would need to go on an offensive first though.

Throwing people into ditches and letting them get shelled is good enough for what's happening right now.

And Ukraine still has parts of their regular army that Russia will have to fight at some point.

Morale will tip the scales but I doubt it's going to decide how things go.

Ukrainian government delayed mobilizing women by a year, maybe they'll need them by then.

I doubt mobilizing women is going to help morale at all to be honest. It is true the Russians are going to need to attack but at the same time if the Ukrainians are truely running out of troops and replacing them with green conscripts; it going to help if morale starts dropping.

Strategic bombing very clearly has a psychological effect, it isn't enough on its own usually but there is very much a ground war compotent.

Lostconfused posted:

Did anyone bother translating Girkin's update from yesterday because lol?

I am not going to bother, but the last paragraph is the one that counts imo

(from t.me/strelkovii/3531, via tgsa)

Isn't that pretty much all he posts even when Russian forces are on the offensive? Russia is losing unless they are in Kiev and even then the war is hopeless etc etc...

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Gallup: "Gallup collected these data Sept. 2-11 across all regions of Ukraine,"

Notably excludes Crimea. Gallup are obviously fascist tankie scum.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Isn't that pretty much all he posts even when Russian forces are on the offensive? Russia is losing unless they are in Kiev and even then the war is hopeless etc etc...
It's not that it's hopeless, he just wants the Russian forces to encircle the Ukrainian army and destroy it like some HoI gamer move. He complained once that they didn't go for it with that breakthrough around Kiev at the start.

Now he is just complaining that someone is wasting time building that defensive line and not doing any sort of offensive operation.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Lostconfused posted:

It's not that it's hopeless, he just wants the Russian forces to encircle the Ukrainian army and destroy it like some HoI gamer move. He complained once that they didn't go for it with that breakthrough around Kiev at the start.

Now he is just complaining that someone is wasting time building that defensive line and not doing any sort of offensive operation.

he's right. doing that instead of zerg rushing kiev would have been a much better decision

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://mobile.twitter.com/DemsK716/status/1603882308783570944
look on the bright side that means new investment opportunities :) :)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Raskolnikov38 posted:

he's right. doing that instead of zerg rushing kiev would have been a much better decision

It would have been more productive but to be honest, the Russians would have still run out of gas with the forces they committed.

As far pushing offensives as fast as possible now, it clearly isn’t the play.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

lobotomy molo posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/DemsK716/status/1603882308783570944
look on the bright side that means new investment opportunities :) :)

When all of this is finished and revealed they'll still say ah well it was the only real move at the time

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Can't acknowledge that you might have done things differently even knowing it was a mistake after the fact

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

That meeting will have more impact on the next year than anything that happens in the UN.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

It's very simple. The Ukraine public fully support any and all measures no matter the cost. Anyone who acts or says otherwise gets disappeared, including anyone who might simply voice a slightly different opinion.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Lostconfused posted:

Kind of the whole point of the coup, really

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DancingShade posted:

It's very simple. The Ukraine public fully support any and all measures no matter the cost. Anyone who acts or says otherwise gets disappeared, including anyone who might simply voice a slightly different opinion.

it worked out great for south vietnam

sum
Nov 15, 2010

AFU showing it's appreciation towards Germany by painting their symbols on their BMPs :)
https://twitter.com/Militarylandnet/status/1603777511535841280

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Things seem going alright in Ukraine tbh.

People just living life

https://i.imgur.com/eIvGcHh.mp4