Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it's also bad programs: northwestern's entire d-line is either transferring or graduating except for like one guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/AsgiGuy/status/1603504381592231936?s=20

(DL Bill Norton, for those playing at home.)

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

*sigh*

Can't even make fun of TAMU ffs

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

R.D. Mangles posted:

it's also bad programs: northwestern's entire d-line is either transferring or graduating except for like one guy.

We're about the find out the leash that Fitzgerald has.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

LeeMajors posted:

*sigh*

Can't even make fun of TAMU ffs

You still can. I give you permission.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

General Dog posted:

Obviously we have some problems

Yeah like College Station, the Corps, the general weirdness…

I’m sure some NIL deals with Aramco are coming, though.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Guessing A&M isn't smart enough to keep the NIL money flowing after players' first year on campus.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Regnevelc posted:

We're about the find out the leash that Fitzgerald has.

it's pretty clear that pat fitzgerald has absolutely no plan or understanding on how to compete in the NIL/Portal era of college football-- on the other hand, it's impossible to believe they could ever hire anyone better who wouldn't immediately bolt at the first opportunity. maybe northwestern just isn't suited for big time football anymore.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Dango Bango posted:

Guessing A&M isn't smart enough to keep the NIL money flowing after players' first year on campus.

I’d guess a lot of the guys transferring aren’t part of the big NIL class they just signed. They may be getting something but if they aren’t big name recruits it’s probably not enough to keep them from looking for options where they’ll get more playing time.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Almost none of the A&M players who transferred so far were a big deal; I'm more upset about losing future commits, for what its worth

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

fast cars loose anus posted:

Almost none of the A&M players who transferred so far were a big deal; I'm more upset about losing future commits, for what its worth

Is this that copium I've been reading about?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

For better or worse, this is the present and future of college ball. Sign a bunch of guys, whoever doesn’t get a starting job after year 1 or 2 transfers out for better prospects of starting. Sucks to be a coach having to deal with filling an extra 15 spots every year, but that’s how it’s going to be.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Sorry for the derail here but a while ago we were all posting pics of guys who were absolute beasts in high school. Like looked older than NFL players. There was one guy who in his warm up at a track meet was doing jumps that were literally like 6 feet high. Who was that again?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Is the NCAA going to have to increase the number of players allowed in a class? It is 25 players now, right?

Florida fans can still laugh at Texas A&M. The absolute number of players is still lower, and Florida can at least shrug it off as players brought in by Dan Mullen who stuck around for a year with Bill Napier to give him a chance and then decided it wasn't going to work out.

No such excuses for NIL aTm. You know, since players stop by to get some money real quick and then drive off.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

IIRC, NCAA eliminated the 25 man initial counter last year

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
its wild how much the transfer portal's become a thing. the cool bit is it might cause less people to jump to the nfl early, QBs specifically make more money doing the transfer/NIL thing than they would if they were a late round nfl pick

https://theathletic.com/4004750/2022/12/15/college-football-transfer-portal-news-rumors/

quote:

The amount of money collectives are investing in quarterback recruiting these days leaves some staffers wondering whether quarterbacks looking at mid- to late-round draft grades would be wiser to enter the portal and spend an extra year in college than enter the draft. Sam Howell got a $361,000 signing bonus as an early fifth-round pick this year. Brock Purdy, the last pick in the draft, got just $77,000 guaranteed. The sums some collectives are allegedly offering would surely far exceed that.

“There’s more money to be made as a portal QB than as an NFL QB,” one SEC recruiting coordinator told The Athletic.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
I wonder how much academics serve as a barrier for portal players. Obviously if you're a top tier position player schools will be lenient with poo poo grades/test scores. Are players entering the portal with assurances in mind?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

soggybagel posted:

Sorry for the derail here but a while ago we were all posting pics of guys who were absolute beasts in high school. Like looked older than NFL players. There was one guy who in his warm up at a track meet was doing jumps that were literally like 6 feet high. Who was that again?

Nick Chubb, I presume.

https://twitter.com/MaxPreps/status/1179857550340231181

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Young and Anderson will play in the Sugar Bowl for some reason

RIP KSt

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

RIP KSt

Line had ticked down to ‘Bama -3 as recently as this morning, already back up to -6.5.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Zurreco posted:

I wonder how much academics serve as a barrier for portal players. Obviously if you're a top tier position player schools will be lenient with poo poo grades/test scores. Are players entering the portal with assurances in mind?

I think not that much. There are some schools, like Stanford or GT, that are just hard for anyone to transfer into. But they're the exception.

Something like 55% of the kids who go into the portal don't end up transferring. So something academics, not getting offers, etc. prevents a majority of players from not transferring when they want to.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

With the current portal rules, players are going to jump to wherever they feel they can start right away or, if they were already a starter, go to a program that better showcases their talents and prepares them for the NFL. Penn State didn't have a qualified back up last year behind Clifford and won't have one next year behind Allar (although the staff seems happy with the player who has no game experience so far).

I do think playoff expansion will create greater stability though. Now coaches and players who want a chance at a championship can play at G5 schools and still have a shot. In a 4 team system, a 12-0 MAC school probably isn't cracking the playoff, but a 12-0 MAC should should definitely get into the 12 team playoff. I think a lot of coaches will find it attractive to remain in lower-pressure environments that still provide a competitive pathway. I know money is still a big deal, but I think the coaching arms race will settle down some in the future.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Everyone going to get to do the Mitch Mustain-JT Daniels Tour Of Italy

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

RIP KSt

:getin:

The entire team is in and we’re playing to folks that kept us out of the playoffs because the didn’t win by enough. They dead.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

soggybagel posted:

You guys seen the U12 MVP from the Youth Football Championships? Allegedly this dude is 12. Mustache, tats, and all.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
lol northwestern

https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/1603842069998764032

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Fyi if your question is “what is Adam James up to?”, it’s the same as his dad Craig. They opened the original rich failure business, building subdivisions.

https://www.jamesld.com/about

Adam, hilariously enough, lies about his football accomplishments

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

GD_American posted:

Fyi if your question is “what is Adam James up to?”, it’s the same as his dad Craig. They opened the original rich failure business, building subdivisions.

https://www.jamesld.com/about

Adam, hilariously enough, lies about his football accomplishments

He was actually somehow tied for second team all Big 12 at TE at least, so it's a lie of omission about that first team part. He didn't even come close to being first team, Michael Egnew dominated that discussion in 2011, he wasn't just Big 12 he was All American. He's listed as a WR on Sports Reference for that year but I guess someone voted for him as a tight end.

That's a fun Tuberville year to remember for Tech. They beat #3 Oklahoma in what might have been James's best college game (5 catches for 75 yards), That's a legit win, it's something to hang your hat on.

Then they immediately turned around and lost at home 41-7 to Steele Jantz and Iowa State, who would go on to a 6-7 season, just barely edging Tech's 5-7 season that year. And then they lost every single game the rest of the season.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I've heard Michigan fans lament at their team's inability to compete on the portal wire because the school caps transfer credit hours at 60. This means that third and fourth year players have to give up academic progress* if they want to transfer to Michigan. This of course is the top consideration of most college football players.

I wonder if there is going to be a gradual shift toward systems that are "easier to learn" as players circulate more and more in the portal. If a coaching staff can never predict next year's roster, it would seem that architects of offensive and defensive systems that require experience and familiarity/trust between players will have a tough time keeping up.

*credit hours in underwater basket weaving, family science, communications, and physical education

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I meant to click edit, not quote.

Steele Jantz, what a cool loving name. He should have his own Contra-style video game.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Thermos H Christ posted:

You guys seen the U12 MVP from the Youth Football Championships? Allegedly this dude is 12. Mustache, tats, and all.

There is absolutely no way this dude doesn’t have a wife and two kids, a mortgage, and a decent 401k based on how he looks.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Fenway Bowl lookin' good

https://twitter.com/paulnrogers1/status/1603826949595463700/photo/1

Gonna be rainy and like ... 40 loving degrees

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Warbird posted:

:getin:

The entire team is in and we’re playing to folks that kept us out of the playoffs because the didn’t win by enough. They dead.

Lmao the Bama Brain in this post. You were out of the playoffs as soon as you picked up L number two.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Teams that overlook Kansas State tend to not be happy with the outcome. This is a pattern going back a solid 30 years now.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Strobe posted:

Lmao the Bama Brain in this post. You were out of the playoffs as soon as you picked up L number two.

plz do not let reality interfere with the narrative, tia

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

PostNouveau posted:

Fenway Bowl lookin' good

https://twitter.com/paulnrogers1/status/1603826949595463700/photo/1

Gonna be rainy and like ... 40 loving degrees

Why do we keep trying to play football games in baseball stadiums

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Isn't Bama usually the one on the rear end end of an rear end-kicking in bowl games when they miss the playoffs and then they're like "Oh, well you see we didn't want to play that game anyway. All the guys didn't care about the Sugar Bowl"?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

General Dog posted:

Why do we keep trying to play football games in baseball stadiums

The 2nd most important thing in college football

Tradition

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Isn't Bama usually the one on the rear end end of an rear end-kicking in bowl games when they miss the playoffs and then they're like "Oh, well you see we didn't want to play that game anyway. All the guys didn't care about the Sugar Bowl"?

They got walloped by OU in a BCS Bowl. For shame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Judgy Fucker posted:

They got walloped by OU in a BCS Bowl. For shame

I must be thinking of somebody else