Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
In retrospect we got very lucky at the end of Shadowbringers when the guy that put a stop to a perfectly legitimate plan to get rid of all that light because it wasn't up to his impossible standards just happened to also be a perfect target for us to throw all that light at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Shinjobi posted:

Not sure if I ask this here or if the spoiler thread is just for all spoilers, but I just beat Shadowbringers and had a quick question about the big finale:

So I gather that Ardbert doing what he did allowed us to hold ourselves together for one more go, but did we fix ourselves and permanently burn out all that light by exhausting it against Hades? Was Emet essentially just a big punching bag with which we used up all of the First's excess light on? Not sure what else you could have done with all that light, but I also wasn't expecting that axe throw to solve all our problems in one neat little package.

A+ expansion. Was a little worried it was gonna linger too long in the misery of the opening, but I think it struck a drat good balance. That kicked rear end.

Basically, you've got it. Ardbert's sacrifice healed our soul and strengthened it enough to let us hold the excess light long enough to fight Hades. The final phase of the fight and the final strike burned off any excess we couldn't safely hold, but our soul is still slightly denser than others, as if it had gone through one additional rejoining, thanks to Ardbert joining us.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
there's a spoiler thread?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Cleretic posted:

In retrospect we got very lucky at the end of Shadowbringers when the guy that put a stop to a perfectly legitimate plan to get rid of all that light because it wasn't up to his impossible standards just happened to also be a perfect target for us to throw all that light at.

I still say we should've just opened a portal to the 13th and dumped our horribly unbalanced rear end in there.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

flatluigi posted:

there's a spoiler thread?

yeah, but i wouldn't venture in there unless you're completely caught up

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

super sweet best pal posted:

I still say we should've just opened a portal to the 13th and dumped our horribly unbalanced rear end in there.

time skip, FFX(whatever number), your character becomes the mail villain for the 13th.
hire me yoshiP

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The spoiler thread is, like, untagged discussion of current content, anyone who has only just finished Shadowbringers wouldn't have a good time in there

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

YggiDee posted:

The spoiler thread is, like, untagged discussion of current content, anyone who has only just finished Shadowbringers wouldn't have a good time in there

Yeah hard agree. It tags current patch spoilers and only for like the first week. Spoiler thread is for when you've done the whole MSQ

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

Not sure if I ask this here or if the spoiler thread is just for all spoilers, but I just beat Shadowbringers and had a quick question about the big finale:

So I gather that Ardbert doing what he did allowed us to hold ourselves together for one more go, but did we fix ourselves and permanently burn out all that light by exhausting it against Hades? Was Emet essentially just a big punching bag with which we used up all of the First's excess light on? Not sure what else you could have done with all that light, but I also wasn't expecting that axe throw to solve all our problems in one neat little package.

A+ expansion. Was a little worried it was gonna linger too long in the misery of the opening, but I think it struck a drat good balance. That kicked rear end.

That's pretty much it, yeah.

Also, congrats on beating ShB!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Shinjobi posted:

You got it, basically.

Now proceed directly to The Twinning to resolve the major lingering mystery from 5.0 (and max out the bgm volume).

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Illusionist reindeer I'm fine with, but we're really not saying anything about this Saint of Nymeia?

Unfortunately I got the Albino Karakul at the same time, so sorry Blitzen, you're going in the roulette.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Well. That's weird, after having to spend weeks fishing for Opabinia.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dareon posted:

Illusionist reindeer I'm fine with, but we're really not saying anything about this Saint of Nymeia?

First time? Godbert is the Saint of Nymea both as a way to bring joy to children and to flex his goldsmithing chops making gifts. Mostly the former, but he enjoys that he gets to do the latter.

It's like when a small town community store owner dresses up as Santa (I assume my town wasn't the only one that had that? Mr Fox was great), except it's the richest guy in Uldah and he IS Santa.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Dec 16, 2022

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Bruceski posted:

First time? Godbert is the Saint of Nymea both as a way to bring joy to children and to flex his goldsmithing chops making gifts. Mostly the former, but he enjoys that he gets to do the latter.

Mostly it's just that he's not... silly. Sure, he's wearing a skirt, but he just shows up, shows our scientist the meaning of ethical study of traditions, and leaves. Someone who came in blind would be forgiven for thinking he's either a one-off or just a normal character.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
He can be silly, it depends on the year. Usually he plays it pretty straight, though, since the Saint of Nymea thing and bringing cheer to others is pretty important to him.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The best part about Godbert is that he can be a completely serious character, which only serves to heighten the absurdity of him. It's like if exactly one Mr. Bean episode was him being an entirely normal human.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Dec 16, 2022

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/4bcbc19bb2bf404fc9fd5f23ffdc7f8fbefe7955 housing demolition coming back with 6.3

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Woohoo! More housing raffles for me to lose!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

the_steve posted:

Woohoo! More housing raffles for me to lose!

Last time one of these ended (or rather, 45 days afterward) was when I got my house, so good luck!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The saint of Nymeia is just the opiate of the Gridanian lumpen proletariat. In this Thread, I ((immediately beaten by a popular front using Pipin as a blunt object))

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
The Sage job questline involves a rare disease where you can't get aether from food

I have...a lot of follow-up questions. Is there an aether balanced food pyramid????

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Dragongem posted:

I have...a lot of follow-up questions. Is there an aether balanced food pyramid????

I can't answer that one exactly, but I can recommend, of all things, the Shadowbringers Fisher questline. It's all about addressing health issues that just never come up any other time. The main one I remember is that, in a group of fictional but largely plausible diseases and deficiencies, one of the quests is literally just about jaundice. It's just weirdly realistic out of nowhere, I love it.

It's my firm belief that there's someone on the writing team who every so often churns out pages of study on poo poo like the agricultural focuses of the Azim Steppe, with no provocation or warning. And every so often they let this guy loose on a questline and suddenly we have a whole sideplot about disease management or oceanic currents.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The fisher quests also have patients starting to eat non-food objects, which is pica, explicitly a real-world symptom of zinc deficiency and you have go find fish high in zinc for everyone. it's great.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

YggiDee posted:

They won’t have a good time in here either. People discuss, remark on, or casually mention spoilers of ShB and Endwalker content in here without tags all the bloody time.

Anyone who cares about not being spoiled should stay out of this thread cause some people don’t even stop to think before they start dropping names and plot points from the last patch or two. And when you try to remind some them there is a spoilers thread for discussing that poo poo they smugly point to the new player thread. :shrug:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Cleretic posted:

It's my firm belief that there's someone on the writing team who every so often churns out pages of study on poo poo like the agricultural focuses of the Azim Steppe, with no provocation or warning. And every so often they let this guy loose on a questline and suddenly we have a whole sideplot about disease management or oceanic currents.

As there should be. :colbert:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

They won’t have a good time in here either. People discuss, remark on, or casually mention spoilers of ShB and Endwalker content in here without tags all the bloody time.

Anyone who cares about not being spoiled should stay out of this thread cause some people don’t even stop to think before they start dropping names and plot points from the last patch or two. And when you try to remind some them there is a spoilers thread for discussing that poo poo they smugly point to the new player thread. :shrug:

It's insane to expect people to spoiler tag poo poo from 2+ years ago.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Cleretic posted:

I can't answer that one exactly, but I can recommend, of all things, the Shadowbringers Fisher questline. It's all about addressing health issues that just never come up any other time. The main one I remember is that, in a group of fictional but largely plausible diseases and deficiencies, one of the quests is literally just about jaundice. It's just weirdly realistic out of nowhere, I love it.

Huh, I remember that questline now, and yeah, jaundice is definitely one of the ailments . Clearly I need to invent vitamins and have Tataru sell them as "aether boosters" :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's insane to expect people to spoiler tag poo poo from 2+ years ago.

Go back a few pages and people are openly discussing a new character and plot stuff from 6.2.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Dragongem posted:

Huh, I remember that questline now, and yeah, jaundice is definitely one of the ailments . Clearly I need to invent vitamins and have Tataru sell them as "aether boosters" :v:

it's got the same vibes as those quests out of sui no sato and yeah i love it, real good world building

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

people have had four months to complete an easy weekend worth of content if you're just an msq/side quest enjoyer. jfc

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Go back a few pages and people are openly discussing a new character and plot stuff from 6.2.

i can see the frustration, but i think it's best to accept it's just how things are because people, generally, like talking about the things they enjoy. it's basically like coming into a thread for a tv show in its seventh season, people will talk about that cool moment they enjoyed, whether it was two episodes or two seasons ago

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

People are playing through the game for the first time and are posting about their experiences and asking questions. The spoiler thread exists for the sake of letting people who are caught up to talk about current stuff.

Should we just tell new players to gently caress off out of the main stickied thread about a game with a decade's worth of content to get through?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Basically all new people realize there's a strong possibility of being spoiled when they're reading a thread for any ongoing media, be that a game, tv show, or whatever. I think people could be more considerate about current patch stuff, but beyond that it's hard to draw a line because there's always going to be new people who aren't at that point yet. If someone going through ARR reads some 6.2 spoilers they aren't even going to know what the hell any of that's about anyway.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

blastron posted:

People are playing through the game for the first time and are posting about their experiences and asking questions. The spoiler thread exists for the sake of letting people who are caught up to talk about current stuff.

Should we just tell new players to gently caress off out of the main stickied thread about a game with a decade's worth of content to get through?

I mean...there's a newbie thread exactly for this reason? Yeah it would in fact suck to wrangle in a general discussion of a decades worth of content for every incoming new player. It's especially silly because those people just getting thru early game poo poo are months of play before even the idea of a character named Zero existing might could possibly be a story spoiler.

If you jump into a thread about an ongoing TV show it would be stupid to be mad about people talking about relatively new episodes because you just started the first episode.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I don't have a solution, but it is kind of a problem that there's nowhere reasonable to talk about middle-of-game stuff. There's the newbie thread for early stuff, and the spoiler thread for arguing about which Endwalker NPCs are Hitler, but if you want to talk about Shadowbringers you're either going to spoil other people or get spoiled yourself.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There's no good solution that will appease everyone. You either have every page look like a CIA document, or you break the thread into a dozen smaller threads.

For most people it's not too hard to spoiler related discussions for a short period once a new person brings something up, but to others it's an affront so you're never going to win.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm not gonna bother spoiler tagging the name Zenos or whatever in this thread but I will put spoiler tags for whether or not he kisses you

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Someone can start the FFXIV CIA document thread for story-intermediate spoilers obviously.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

It's time to finally implement the FFXIV subforum, along with sub-subforums for each expansion and sub-sub-subforums for the patches and individual threads for each main quest. And probably a general discussion thread to pull it all together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think once we've created 13 subthreads, some sadlads who miss their posting friends can begin a long campaign to get them all closed