Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

If the trader profit turns green I am pretty sure they will accept 100% (barring something like elves rejecting your poo poo because you selected one thing that was decorated with a mussel shell).They will typically want a sizable amount of profit which changes with value. 1000 profit might be good if you have a trade worth 500 or something, but it's pointless for them to come for that amount when you're buying 25000 worth of goods instead.

I kind of agree with the goon who said that prepared meals should probably be nerfed in value a bit. It's not even like my previous fort where I had something like 400 single meals worth 10k value EACH, but even without that the stacking of good ingredients + a good cook will make super valuable poo poo worth more than most crafts + decorations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

that was some FUN that just happened: I decided to finally unleash a forgotten beast I'd locked in a cellar, and it killed almost all of my veteran troops before it died of blood loss - no idea who got the killing blow, but they probably got murdered - and then immediately as it was dead, another forgotten beast attacked on the same layer, although this one wasn't too bad - it only killed 2 dwarves instead of 30ish! then cave dwelling ant people attacked! then cave dwelling ant people attacked!

i think all told like 40-50 citizens died before the deaths stopped happening, including my broker, hammerer, champion, captain of the guard and of course a whole bunch of non-important people as well. it was probably the champion that gave the killing blow, he was the only one who got some real hits in that i saw - not even my psycho worst mom of the year who kept murdering dwarves managed to do anything.

i am considering sealing off the caves for good.

at least my countess survived it all, but maaan there's a lot of loving dead. i hope i have enough tombs for all of them. might need to just start engraving memorial slabs to stem the tide a bit.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Badly trained brokers really overestimate the price of gems.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Nettle Soup posted:

Badly trained brokers really overestimate the price of gems.

Near everything, I find.

A Steel Anvil went from "~1000" to "oh its 333 lol"

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Started a new world + fort, looking for interesting volcanos the only one that wasnt near hostile poo poo was at the edge of the freezing wastes.. well, fuckit lets go. No trees, little bit of river but its frozen year round so I dug to the caverns pretty early (earlier than I'm comfortable with, anyway...). Well first getting all my stuff setup I forgot to start brewing drinks so half my dwarves died of dehydration.. oops. And my farm is kinda far from the rest of my fort so it feels like production is slower than it should be. Now that the caverns are open I've access to wood finally but there's just a neverending trickle of Troglodytes wandering into my poo poo and loving people up, ugh. I can't easily wall the place off cuz its multiple levels high and they can climb, too. But I'm back up to 30ish dwarves and things are... not doomed yet, so I'll keep going. Also haven't found any iron yet so I can't make good gear, my dudes are mucking about with copper axes for now. Won't be able to play for a few days probably so when I come back I'll have forgotten everything I was working on.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I just hit a weird bug, when I loaded my save my refuse pile immediately combusted and started a wildfire covering the entire zone.

I had to disable temperature to make it stop. I think what happened is some of the body parts that previously burnt up from the forgotten beast breath attack are still at a high temperature and are spontaneously reigniting upon load.

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

space uncle posted:

I just hit a weird bug, when I loaded my save my refuse pile immediately combusted and started a wildfire covering the entire zone.

I had to disable temperature to make it stop. I think what happened is some of the body parts that previously burnt up from the forgotten beast breath attack are still at a high temperature and are spontaneously reigniting upon load.

I had this exact thing happen to me also. Fought a flame beast, once it was dead I was tired so I saved and exited. On load some parts the dwarves were hauling to the corpse/refuse tile ignited and set the entire map ablaze.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I have found the temperature system to be, consistently, one of the most tiresome parts of the game to deal with

-It's only half implemented
-It's the "combustion point of fat" half, rather than the "temperature meaningfully impacts the environment" half
-the performance overhead is absolutely insane for something that provides no meaningful impact to the game
-you can't shut it off, though, because magma and fire no longer work if you do, lol

Fire monsters and stuff are cool but I feel like they could be accomplished without having to constantly calculate the exact temperature of every blade of grass

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 17, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, there's a thread on the bay12 forums right now where someone profiled the game and the performance issues aren't from pathfinding.

They're from temperature checks, contaminant tracking, and line-of-sight checks, in roughly that order.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
Hi thread, first time reader first time poster. My current fortress' cavern is really interesting and I thought I'd share:

It's basically a torus starting around -10, and extends at the very least to -70, but I can't yet even see the bottom yet, and my fort stabs right through the middle of it. I'm thinking that I can manage to drop my river from the surface and basically make a step waterfall all the way down.

It's neat! Game good!

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Is there a way to check depot accesibility like you could before the steam release? The lack of wagons is really bugging me and I'm thinking it might be everything coming from a weird map edge that's not wide enough or something

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Well.... it wasn't my intention, but somehow, while genning a world I found a dwarf civ that had tamed unicorns. So I guess instead of trapping them, I'm buying them.

Seriously though, I've never had that happen without adding a common-domestic tag to them.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Mirthless posted:

Tavern visitors seem to like to take their clothes off when they get drunk, and elves aren't generally modest, so they do it a lot

lmao

filthy leaf lovers

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

God damnit why am I not finding a single block of coal stone!! I've dug to the cavern layer and have an otherwise successful fort going but I haven't found literally any lignite or coal all map and it is a big bummer to keep having to use wood for my smelting needs

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I'm fairly certain coal's not guaranteed to spawn so yeah you're probably gonna be stuck with charcoal until you hit magma

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well, sold a couple barrels of prepared meals and bought half a dozen each of elephants and grizzly bears, they’ve been pastured, now we wait for babies and start training war animals :getin:

e: Can I make armor for war animals? Can I put an elephant in steel plate?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
there used to be some tool to make a 3d visualization of your fortress, wonder if we'll get updates for that sorta thing eventually. Would love to poke around the 3d space of my forts, especially if I could maybe convert them to a mesh for blender or even something to import into minecraft to check out in first person.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Took a few days off, but came back to my fortress.

After 30 minutes of more aggressive mining, we've struck adamantine.

Praise the miners!

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Chic Trombone posted:

God damnit why am I not finding a single block of coal stone!! I've dug to the cavern layer and have an otherwise successful fort going but I haven't found literally any lignite or coal all map and it is a big bummer to keep having to use wood for my smelting needs

I'm in the opposite boat. I can probably make 10000+ bricks of coke with all the lignite and bituminous coal I'm digging through, and my bedrock is 90% flux. But I have yet to encounter a single square of iron down to the third layer of the cavern. I've had more luck killing cavefishmen and melting down their iron spears.

On the topic of long-term visitors... If a group is accepted as a troupe or w/e, can I kick out individual members, or will they all get pissed? I imagine they'll get bad thoughts from losing friends/not having companions around, but I dunno if they'll just up and leave. Maybe I'll try savescumming it before I go to bed

Bad Munki posted:

Well, sold a couple barrels of prepared meals and bought half a dozen each of elephants and grizzly bears, they’ve been pastured, now we wait for babies and start training war animals :getin:

e: Can I make armor for war animals? Can I put an elephant in steel plate?

I don't think you can make armor for war animals yet. It'd be sweet if you could. Maybe that's something on the modding docket?

Aeolusdallas
Mar 2, 2016

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Make sure someone has the Beekeeping labor assigned.

An agitated Giant great horned owl and a Giant falcon both appeared at my fort and killed a couple kids, then the visiting dwarf merchants, then the owl killed the falcon. Then a flock of Giant agitated cardinals showed up and murdered a couple more people.

I really need to get better at getting a military going, though it would help if I hadn't received no migrants at all for the previous two seasons.

That sounds like a 70's horror movie

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Figured it out, there was another request in there for raw green glass I missed :doh: Managed to scrape some together then he went and gathered the rest of the materials

e: Good lord, he made a Horse Bone Coffin with like 3 entire pages of description.

I think I may have found a bit of an exploit. By clicking Forbid on the items he brought to the workshop (the bones and gems) it made him go bring more of those things to the workshop. I then unforbid them before he started crafting. All of the ones he brought show up in the final thing here - multiple gems, multiple bones.

I guess that will finally make my Baron who's demanding a Tomb happy.

Demanding a tomb? Well, that's one request I don't mind filling. A Tomb is nothing without its honored guest :getin:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I've been carving nobles dining rooms that are split with their tomb, no wall between it, with their table and chair facing their tomb and fancy statues of dead dwarves.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Mirthless posted:

I have found the temperature system to be, consistently, one of the most tiresome parts of the game to deal with

-It's only half implemented
-It's the "combustion point of fat" half, rather than the "temperature meaningfully impacts the environment" half
-the performance overhead is absolutely insane for something that provides no meaningful impact to the game
-you can't shut it off, though, because magma and fire no longer work if you do, lol

Fire monsters and stuff are cool but I feel like they could be accomplished without having to constantly calculate the exact temperature of every blade of grass

:yeah: at least in a Rimworld style of temp calculation, you can see the temperature for starters, and it affects the mood of pawns and food spoilage.

For DF it may as well be onFire==true/false

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

skooma512 posted:

For DF it may as well be onFire==true/false

Look, have you ever been on fire? Because I’m pretty sure that’s the response, there’s a pretty narrow window where you’re like “well, I’m only a little bit on fire, I think I’ll go have a pint at the tavern and then worry about this.”

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I legit can't remember the last time I saw coal on any map

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I've been using a minecart quantum stockpile and want to keep iterating on it for moving stuff around. It seems like they're worth it for moving stones in particular, so establishing a rail line to my stone workshops and my furnaces would be worth it. I have questions about laying down track though:

1) Will minecarts being guided by dwarfs manually collide with other minecarts on the same track? Do I need to run parallel lines instead?
2) That said, are automated minecarts as much of a trap as they seem to be, at least for logistical purposes? Maybe I can set some up for deep mining but if I'm planning the route in my actual fortress, having them guided seems to be a much safer option for not that much cost (idle dorf with nothing to do).

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Danaru posted:

I legit can't remember the last time I saw coal on any map

My embark has loads of it, also lots of magnetite. I have 700 iron between that and the goblins.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Minecarts seem like a lot of effort to set up for relatively little gain tbh when wheelbarrows exist. Like, maybe useful for megaproject construction?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
they mostly just seem like an atmospheric toy / way to play with spare power

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Welp. Lost 30 dwarves to a demon. Those things move fast as hell. Time to put in some workorders for coffins.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

oh yeah, i saw a funny named book and had to go check it out in legends mode:

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I actually have minecart problem; I tried setting one up to reduce the travel time between the front and end of a large stockpile, but a bunch of items got shoved in it and there doesn't seem to be a way to get them back out of the cart. How do I deconstruct it? Or at least get all the goods offloaded so I can finally use the spare anvil that ended up inside it

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Does anyone have worldgen tips for getting proper rivers? I feel like all I ever end up with are brooks and streams

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Alright half this goddamn map is a light aquifer even 20 z levels below the surface, aquifers are getting disabled :colbert: this went from fun thing to work around to I hate digging real quick

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I ran into a strange problem with dwarves and fire.

I got sick of watching dwarves carry stuff up and down 100 z levels to my magma layer so I settled on building one of two solutions: minecart system or lava pumps. I settled on the lava pumps.

So, after building 100 pumps, excavating a three tier pump stack to snake around the cavern layers, and building a controllable artificial underground river lined with waterwheels to power the pumps, I had nice layer of magma under my industrial area and all the magma furnaces I could want. Except for a few fire imps who made it through before I completely buttoned up the system that I quickly killed, everthing was fine.

And then I noticed how many of my dwarves now had multi colored flashing names.

Apparently, while walking through the random fires created by the imps, several dwarves had their clothing catch fire. Only one had a fire sprite on the map, the rest just seemed to be content to go about their day as normal with flaming pants or cloaks. Every now and then one would drop dead leaving behind a pile of flaming clothes, but the remaining ten or so were fine for at least a couple of seasons.

Is there any way to force a dwarf to drop an article of clothing that's on fire? Also, is there any way to put out a fire? The clothing that gets dropped when they die just sits there burning forever.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Finally found out my windmill/water wheel woes: you need a carpenter to build them, and apparently mine was dead 4 z levels up in a tree.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Weembles posted:

I ran into a strange problem with dwarves and fire.

I got sick of watching dwarves carry stuff up and down 100 z levels to my magma layer so I settled on building one of two solutions: minecart system or lava pumps. I settled on the lava pumps.

So, after building 100 pumps, excavating a three tier pump stack to snake around the cavern layers, and building a controllable artificial underground river lined with waterwheels to power the pumps, I had nice layer of magma under my industrial area and all the magma furnaces I could want. Except for a few fire imps who made it through before I completely buttoned up the system that I quickly killed, everthing was fine.

And then I noticed how many of my dwarves now had multi colored flashing names.

Apparently, while walking through the random fires created by the imps, several dwarves had their clothing catch fire. Only one had a fire sprite on the map, the rest just seemed to be content to go about their day as normal with flaming pants or cloaks. Every now and then one would drop dead leaving behind a pile of flaming clothes, but the remaining ten or so were fine for at least a couple of seasons.

Is there any way to force a dwarf to drop an article of clothing that's on fire? Also, is there any way to put out a fire? The clothing that gets dropped when they die just sits there burning forever.

Maybe try forbidding the clothing? Not sure if the game lets you forbid something being worn.

E: if they're not burning to death quickly, you could try squadding them and moving them through some shallow water or a waterfall. Stick em out in the rain, maybe

Appoda fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 17, 2022

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Danaru posted:

Alright half this goddamn map is a light aquifer even 20 z levels below the surface, aquifers are getting disabled :colbert: this went from fun thing to work around to I hate digging real quick

I'm glad I'm not the only one running into this, but also sorry, lol.

I really don't remember aquifers being so absurdly thick in previous versions I played, though admittedly I haven't played since a year or so after the z-levels came out in the first place, but I've also read plenty of stories!

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
All those dead dwarves freed up a lot of clothes! Gotta find the bright side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Danaru posted:

The good news is that there is less aquifer than you think. The bad news is that it doesn't really matter.

Aquifer tiles leak out the bottom into the z level below them. It took me ages to figure this out and fix it in my entrance ramp. The best solution I can think of is to hope that the entire formation is within your map, and then excavate it entirely. That being said, minerals and gems in a deep light aquifer can be mined out pretty easily by simply digging everything out and then walling it off. They flood extremely slowly.