Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

The beardy guy split into the two redheads.

this is what will happen to everyone if the liberals get their way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
there arent actually any liberals dont worry

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Tesseraction posted:

Is... is it possible to learn this power?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Anything that closes the gap should help. Draft strips should work but you can use anything as wadding.

Christ there's a lot of types. Would this work? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Self-Adhesive-Weather-SoundProof-Strength-Anti-Collision/dp/B07P8DT1WR/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sure probably, though with adhesive stuff you want to try and think about how you apply it, even strong glue won't appreciate shear forces, so try to apply it such that when the door closes it just presses the tape against the surface it's stuck to, rather than dragging it across the floor or trying to rip it off each time.

So on an internal door I'd put it on this bit, facing into the direction the door opens.

Then when the door is closed it presses the foam into the thing it's stuck to. Also has the advantage that if the wood moves with the seasons it won't jam the door.

For an external door you should have a similar overlapped part but just make sure you aren't obstructing the locking mechanisms or causing the door to put pressure on any non-load-bearing PVC bits or whatever. Nominally, plastic and metal doors should have closer tolerances but I guess if you're getting a draft it presumably doesn't or isn't one of those.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 17, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That just reminded me of a quote from an old engineering teacher: the best number of sliding seals to have in a system is none.

Also that even the strongest anchor will fail at one of three points. Either it shreds bits of the rubber off, rips bits of your door material off, or (probably the best case) it isn't that strong of an adhesive.

So yeah I agree with OF, it needs to be fitted as a compression seal or it'll cause more problems than it solves.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can get these sort of... weird foam scroll things that you can wedge under the door and which are designed to drag across the floor. For the gap on the bottom I would use one of those then when it falls to bits you can just get another one. They have big rounded sides so they don't chew up the carpet too.

An exterior door should have the same overlap on the bottom that it does on all the other sides so you should be able to use a compression seal there too.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also reminded that my nan used to sew gators and snakes with button eyes out of all the old trousers and towels for draught excluders, stuffed with newspaper.

The gators were both harder work and less use than the snakes because their legs always got in the way of excluding any draughts, so I'm not sure why the design evolved beyond the perfectly efficient tube, but nematodes probably say the same thing about us.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Everyone here where I live thought I was batty because I put the door snake along the bottom of the door on the outside (my front door leads off a corridor) while my door opens inwards. However, a couple of them did cotton on and told me they'd finally figured it out!
Because if you put the snake on the inside of the door, whenever you go out, the snake is pushed to one side and the draught comes in under the door. But if it's on the outside, snake stays put and continues to keep draughts out when the door is shut when I leave.
I bought a ready-made snake £2.99 from Home Bargains about 5 years ago.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I tried using a snake to exclude draughts but whenever I wasn't paying attention he'd swap himself out for a cardboard box and go invade Shadow Moses.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My mum knitted me a very long dog and it is perfect for lying along a door.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Everyone here where I live thought I was batty because I put the door snake along the bottom of the door on the outside (my front door leads off a corridor) while my door opens inwards. However, a couple of them did cotton on and told me they'd finally figured it out!
Because if you put the snake on the inside of the door, whenever you go out, the snake is pushed to one side and the draught comes in under the door. But if it's on the outside, snake stays put and continues to keep draughts out when the door is shut when I leave.
I bought a ready-made snake £2.99 from Home Bargains about 5 years ago.

Also if you forget the snake is there you will break your neck and then you don't have to worry about drafts.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

Also if you forget the snake is there you will break your neck and then you don't have to worry about drafts.

My mother hates the snake and every time she visits she stamps on him. Deliberately. And calls him "the blessed snake". As in bless-Ed not blessed by god or something.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

As in bless-Ed
Alternate universe where sex positive queer heathens won during Classical Antiquity, and the successors of the monotheists and Imperial cults that promoted divinity and sanctity and sacredness now find themselves constantly telling school board meetings "if you don't educate children on how to safely swing a censer then they'll just do it in private and burn themselves."

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
i just seal all of my doors with concrete and never go outside

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Angepain posted:

When I lived in Sheffield, first place after leaving my parents, there was no hall, the front door just went into the living room. So my housemate decided to just get some gaffer tape & tape over the gaps of the door because it was drafty. Let me tell you, that made getting deliveries a pain in the arse, as I'd have to climb onto the couch and shout out the window to go around the back because the front door was out of order.

Made sense when winter came though

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Angepain posted:

a somewhat brutalist approach

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

fits in with the lost decade theme

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
My Gran made very ornate draft excluding animals, snakes and sausage dogs and, I recall, a very long fish. They were good for beating the crap out of siblings and cousins.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tesseraction posted:

I feel like we'd be in a better world if they all did this

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
When it comes to how long heating is on for, what's the average?

It's probably dependent on a lot of factors (like house size/insulation, etc), but it looks like mine is on for about 2.5 hours across the day keeping the house at about 20.5 to 21 degrees.

I'm in a new build so the insulation should be good, but I wasn't sure if 2.5 hours was considered a long time or not.

This is the first year I've got usage data to this degree so I'm not sure how it compares with my own use last year.

Kin fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Dec 17, 2022

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Do we have any PIP claim experts in here? I've been diagnosed with ADHD this week, on top of multiple other illnesses so was thinking of finally braving the DWP and claiming.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Lungboy posted:

Do we have any PIP claim experts in here? I've been diagnosed with ADHD this week, on top of multiple other illnesses so was thinking of finally braving the DWP and claiming.

I very strongly recommend subscribing to Benefits and Work and downloading their guides.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

Also reminded that my nan used to sew gators and snakes with button eyes out of all the old trousers and towels for draught excluders, stuffed with newspaper.

The gators were both harder work and less use than the snakes because their legs always got in the way of excluding any draughts, so I'm not sure why the design evolved beyond the perfectly efficient tube, but nematodes probably say the same thing about us.

These were a 'fad' back in the 70s in Ireland, everyone had them and were making them.
My gran had a really draughty house, so had a few of these about the place, and as a 2yo at the time I would be loudly swore at if I moved them
BUT I WANTED TO PLAY WITH THEM

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

happyhippy posted:

These were a 'fad' back in the 70s in Ireland, everyone had them and were making them.
My gran had a really draughty house, so had a few of these about the place, and as a 2yo at the time I would be loudly swore at if I moved them
BUT I WANTED TO PLAY WITH THEM

Every Irish gran had one of these and a knitted dolly toilet roll cover.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Lungboy posted:

Definitely go for it, executive dysfunction alone is a very strong case for a surprising number of categories. I just finished a friend's fitness for work rigamarole, with the DWP accepting that the legal standard for disability/impairment (conveniently plastered on every single page of the form now) is met by ADHD on their stupid "can you bring a fork to your mouth" final question. Depending on presentation and severity, it's can push the daily living portion quite close to higher rate just on its own.

It is good and useful to get plenty of sources, I'm not familiar with benefits and work above but it seems pretty solid and thorough on skim. Citizens advice has good primers I'll look out after a coffee. Just remember/pick up that a solid understanding of how disability is defined before you start actually trying to answer the form imo, treat the four tests as a mantra and the whole thing becomes easier to organise and way less impactful on your self esteem.

If you have any specific qs about anything I'm always happy to try to answer DWP stuff so post it itt and I'll respond if I'm not beaten to it

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Kin posted:

When it comes to how long heating is on for, what's the average?

It's probably dependent on a lot of factors (like house size/insulation, etc), but it looks like mine is on for about 2.5 hours across the day keeping the house at about 20.5 to 21 degrees.

I'm in a new build so the insulation should be good, but I wasn't sure if 2.5 hours was considered a long time or not.

This is the first year I've got usage data to this degree so I'm not sure how it compares with my own use last year.

My hearing is on for 2 hours total but split across the day and evening. The downstairs is anywhere from 12 to 16 degrees, upstairs is warmer. The thermostat is set to 21C but it doesn't reach that high before the timer switches the heating off. Two hours doesn't seem a long time especially if your house is maintaining a good temperature.

My house has almost no insulation and the windows aren't sealed properly. A few years ago I had a new front door and naively thought they would replace the black rubber seal. Instead they reused the old stuff, which was too short. If the wind is in the wrong direction the rain comes in so there's no chance that it's keeping heat in.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Rabbit is very confused and scared right now

Only registered members can see post attachments!

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/johnredwood/status/1604004431405760512

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I would simply fix the NHS by going to World of Mattresses when they have a sale on.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Oh dear me posted:

I very strongly recommend subscribing to Benefits and Work and downloading their guides.

Spangly A posted:

Definitely go for it, executive dysfunction alone is a very strong case for a surprising number of categories. I just finished a friend's fitness for work rigamarole, with the DWP accepting that the legal standard for disability/impairment (conveniently plastered on every single page of the form now) is met by ADHD on their stupid "can you bring a fork to your mouth" final question. Depending on presentation and severity, it's can push the daily living portion quite close to higher rate just on its own.

It is good and useful to get plenty of sources, I'm not familiar with benefits and work above but it seems pretty solid and thorough on skim. Citizens advice has good primers I'll look out after a coffee. Just remember/pick up that a solid understanding of how disability is defined before you start actually trying to answer the form imo, treat the four tests as a mantra and the whole thing becomes easier to organise and way less impactful on your self esteem.

If you have any specific qs about anything I'm always happy to try to answer DWP stuff so post it itt and I'll respond if I'm not beaten to it

Thanks both. I've spent so long thinking my ADHD was just me being lazy/disorganised that teasing out the detail for an application is going to be difficult, so I'm planning to spend the christmas break reading as many sources as I can.

learnincurve posted:

Rabbit is very confused and scared right now

What species of Death Noodle is that? This is mine, Plissken:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
We hear how the NHS is short of funds. Wh don't ministers put more in?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

He has a point, why don't they just put in more beds. Let's examine this in more detail.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Lady Demelza posted:

My hearing is on for 2 hours total but split across the day and evening. The downstairs is anywhere from 12 to 16 degrees, upstairs is warmer. The thermostat is set to 21C but it doesn't reach that high before the timer switches the heating off. Two hours doesn't seem a long time especially if your house is maintaining a good temperature.

My house has almost no insulation and the windows aren't sealed properly. A few years ago I had a new front door and naively thought they would replace the black rubber seal. Instead they reused the old stuff, which was too short. If the wind is in the wrong direction the rain comes in so there's no chance that it's keeping heat in.

Yeah, I got a figure from Google saying British gas customers had the heating on for about 5 hours on average and couldn't tell if that was way off given its twice as much as mine.

I've got a Nest system (and might not be using it right) but have sort of min maxed the schedule based on when we're in the living room or the general house.

So it'll be things like get the house up to 20 degrees by 8am for when we wake up (I think it's supposed to know how long it takes and kick in at the right time to get to this) , but then I tell the system to set it to 13 or something at half 8 so that it doesn't keep trying to heat it at 20.

Then it's back up to 20 at lunchtime and down again just after.

I've no idea if I have to actually set the lower temperatures to stop it heating but the house feels warm enough (with a jumper). I just wasn't sure if 2.5 hours was normal or if I've actually managed to be efficient.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

keep punching joe posted:

He has a point, why don't they just put in more beds. Let's examine this in more detail.

Why not use Bunk Beds?!?!???!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Just have all the sickies quad up in beds like Charlie Bucket's grandparents.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

why don't homeless people just buy a house 4Head

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Every big brained tory ever : 'oh, that massively complex problem being agonised over by thousands of highly qualified professionals? They should consider my stupid, ill informed, pig ignorant, non starter of a solution :smuggo:'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

why don't homeless people just buy a house 4Head

Starving? Just eat something, duh!