Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

why is having focus on not disabling notification badges? or can you not do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

SourKraut posted:

I usually wait for .2 or .3 to upgrade, but is that Wi-Fi cutout bug related to just Ventura? I’ve been noticing it with my 14 MBP on Monterey.

Sorry, various sources report that this bug is still present on M1/M2 and Ventura 13.1.. might have to wait for 13.2 (whose beta just came out.)

If you're on Monterey it couldn't hurt to try 12.6.2.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I recently deleted Google Chrome and replaced it with a branch of chromium available as homebrew cask eloston-chromium, and it works pretty good for me.

All linkage / bullshit connecting to Google has been judiciously replaced with less intrusive alternatives such as DuckDuckGo but it still retains snappiness that severing from Google brings. And, it appears to be well-updated.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Ventura or the latest update fixed the issues I was having with Sidecar and my iPad Air 4. Wireless or wired work exactly the same now. Nothing else about the network environment changed so chalking this one up to software for now.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

I recently deleted Google Chrome and replaced it with a branch of chromium available as homebrew cask eloston-chromium, and it works pretty good for me.

All linkage / bullshit connecting to Google has been judiciously replaced with less intrusive alternatives such as DuckDuckGo but it still retains snappiness that severing from Google brings. And, it appears to be well-updated.

That’s a good idea.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Welp, updated to 13.1 and now I can’t log in to my AD bound Mac. It takes my username and password, does a little progress bar, then spits me back out to a login screen with my full name instead of my shortname and just shakes when I enter my password. Tried to change my full name back to shortname, tried my username@domain and nothing works. Restarted the machine, nothing.

RIP me.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

actionjackson posted:

why is having focus on not disabling notification badges? or can you not do that?

I found out that you can do this in iOS, but not MacOS. You go to do not disturb in iOS and there is an option to hide notification badges, and then you sync with other devices. i'll see if it works.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

some kinda jackal posted:

Welp, updated to 13.1 and now I can’t log in to my AD bound Mac. It takes my username and password, does a little progress bar, then spits me back out to a login screen with my full name instead of my shortname and just shakes when I enter my password. Tried to change my full name back to shortname, tried my username@domain and nothing works. Restarted the machine, nothing.

RIP me.

When our AD join machines do the same, we usually enter with a random local user, reboot and then reattempt using AD.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

RIP me.

10.7.3 all over again lol

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Not sure I trust these results, but Speedometer (https://browserbench.org/Speedometer2.1/)gets 20 more runs per minute when I run Google Chrome than when I run Safari..

Chrome is the latest build (108.0.5359.124) with no extensions and Safari is 16.2, running under Big Sur 11.7.2, also no extensions enabled.

Chrome scores 103-104 runs / minute, and Safari only scores 80-82 runs / minute.

eloston-chromium doesn't even come close, scoring only 73-74 runs / minute.

All tests done after cold boot, browser is the only app running.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://systemstatus.ucla.edu/status?id=status_record&service=a8226ec01b1651509ca4a602b24bcb20

UCLA's IT department is claiming that Ventura 13.1 fixes an issue involving M1/M2 machines communicating over WiFi with Apple Mobile devices (presumably iOS devices) in saturated areas.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 16, 2022

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Binary Badger posted:

Not sure I trust these results, but Speedometer (https://browserbench.org/Speedometer2.1/)gets 20 more runs per minute when I run Google Chrome than when I run Safari..

Chrome is the latest build (108.0.5359.124) with no extensions and Safari is 16.2, running under Big Sur 11.7.2, also no extensions enabled.

Chrome scores 103-104 runs / minute, and Safari only scores 80-82 runs / minute.

eloston-chromium doesn't even come close, scoring only 73-74 runs / minute.

All tests done after cold boot, browser is the only app running.

WRT trust, Speedometer is a well-known JS performance test which browser engineers do actually use to evaluate how good they're doing at JS perf.

That said, it's not clear how much weight you should put on Speedometer results in terms of real-world experiences. JS is very important, but it isn't everything.

For what it's worth, on a somewhat recently rebooted M1, results are Safari 15.6.1 (not the latest, I haven't installed Ventura / Safari 16) scores 335 runs/min, Chrome 108.0.5359.124 scores 354 runs/min. Two things stand out here - only about 5% difference instead of 20%, and both are over 3x faster than your presumably-Intel scores.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

My scores are from the old wheezing hexacore 3.3 GHz Xeon in my Mac Pro 5,1

Oh well I had bleeding edge performance ten years ago

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 17, 2022

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
There are so many variables with webpage performance I don’t think the average person using a modern browser on a modern computer with a high speed internet connection is going to tell the difference in the real world. Things are very different now than they were when the first salvos in the war to overthrow IE6 were launched.

Differentiation for me comes down to UI preferences, features and OS interoperability, privacy and security.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is there a way to stop my MBP from disconnecting from my hotspot when the screen turns off? The computer hasn't gone fully to sleep yet and it's annoying AF.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
It is interesting to me how benchmark results are considered to be a good figure of merit when they demonstrate the superiority of the Apple product, but when they suggest the opposite conclusion, they are to be taken with a grain of salt lol

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

When our AD join machines do the same, we usually enter with a random local user, reboot and then reattempt using AD.

Oh shoot I forgot to report back -- this is exactly what I asked my IT guys to do in a random desperation hail mary (I just wanted them to go back up my local files as I was ready to blow the fucker away), and it worked right after that again.

Thanks for a) taking the time to reply with a solution and b) helping me confirm that this wasn't just an isolated case solution <3

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I have a couple dumb questions I should probably have learned the answer to by now.

I've had the upgraded 2TB iCloud storage for forever now, largely as part of the One subscription. While I'd love to take advantage of it unfortunately it's been largely sitting at 1.95TB available because I don't know how to effectively use it, especially on MacOS.

For a specific example, I have two Macs, a 2020 Intel Macbook and this shiny new Studio. How can I use iCloud to automatically sync files between the two other than just the Desktop? I was surprised to find that their download folders don't sync, and I'd like to make that a priority. They both each also have specific folders I'd like synced up.

Can iCloud be effectively used as a backup of other folders on an External drive? What do other folks do with all of that space? It just seems like I have very little control of what ends up on there.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I presume you can hack it by creating a Downloads folder in your iCloud folder structure then removing and symlinking your regular ~/Downloads folder to that. Not sure what the failure scenarios here are because it DOES seem really hacky but it might work.

If you go to General -> Storage you can toggle "Store in iCloud" and I think that's the one that keeps your Documents and other folders in sync.

Sorry it's been a LONG time since I thought about any of that after turning it on :ohdear:

Whatever I want to keep synced across machines I try to explicitly store them beneath my ~/Documents/ folder. I actually don't remember if there's versioning or anything, so rather than a backup I treat iCloud with the understanding that if I delete it it's gone, so not really a good backup.

e: Actually my own question about iCloud -- I am currently paying for Apple Music, Apple TV+, and iCloud Storage separately. Not for any real reason other than I subbed to Music back when it came out, increased my iCloud storage when I could, and added AppleTV after a device purchase.

I'm kind of thinking of switching to the Family iEverything Whatever Bla Bla plan that includes the 2tb iCloud plan, News, Music, ATV+, and the games thing I think, but I'm not sure how that works if I paid for Music annually, iCloud and ATV monthly, etc. Does it refund the remaining Music subscription? This is probably a question for Apple support so I'll ask, but I'm just curious if anyone has any firsthand experience doing this.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 20, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

e: Actually my own question about iCloud -- I am currently paying for Apple Music, Apple TV+, and iCloud Storage separately. Not for any real reason other than I subbed to Music back when it came out, increased my iCloud storage when I could, and added AppleTV after a device purchase.

I'm kind of thinking of switching to the Family iEverything Whatever Bla Bla plan that includes the 2tb iCloud plan, News, Music, ATV+, and the games thing I think, but I'm not sure how that works if I paid for Music annually, iCloud and ATV monthly, etc. Does it refund the remaining Music subscription? This is probably a question for Apple support so I'll ask, but I'm just curious if anyone has any firsthand experience doing this.

At least in Eurozone it will honor existing payments/subs, so it will add time on the overall subs expirations, but you can ask support for reimbursement on the yearly plans remaining months. No idea on US/CAN behaviour.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Promising to hear, thanks! I'll dig into it this weekend.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is there anyway to improve power usage when on battery for VLC? i'm using an m2 air. most of the times it's fine but every so often it says it's using significant energy. all the files I'm playing are .mkv

I've read Movist has significantly reduced power consumption (https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/wzv2xj/power_consumption_of_4_video_player/), though it might only be with certain file types like .mp4

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I just have "Low Power Mode" always turned on when on battery. Other than that, I have no idea. :shrug:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Anyone have a screenshot taking program they recommend? Used to using ShareX on windows, but that does not seem to have a Mac version available.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Kibner posted:

I just have "Low Power Mode" always turned on when on battery. Other than that, I have no idea. :shrug:

does that mainly just turn off some background processes?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

actionjackson posted:

does that mainly just turn off some background processes?

I know it limits the frequency the chips can run at but don't know if it does anything else.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Zil posted:

Anyone have a screenshot taking program they recommend? Used to using ShareX on windows, but that does not seem to have a Mac version available.

What capabilities are you looking for that CMD + SHIFT + 5 do not offer?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
/\/\ If it's screenshotting screen sections to clipboard I use cmd+ctrl+shift+4

actionjackson posted:

is there anyway to improve power usage when on battery for VLC? i'm using an m2 air. most of the times it's fine but every so often it says it's using significant energy. all the files I'm playing are .mkv

I've read Movist has significantly reduced power consumption (https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/wzv2xj/power_consumption_of_4_video_player/), though it might only be with certain file types like .mp4

Based on my brief testing it also shuffles some apps over to efficiency cores and lowers clock speed. If you want to really dig into controlling power usage check out AppTamer, it's the only way I can use OneDrive now.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Kibner posted:

What capabilities are you looking for that CMD + SHIFT + 5 do not offer?

Upload to imgur mainly I guess.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Zil posted:

CleanShot X is fantastic, but I don't think it has Imgur support since they want you to use their own cloud upload service (I do not, I just point it at a Dropbox folder)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

actionjackson posted:

I use IINA since vlc isn't optimized for poo poo for the specific platform, i suggest you give it a shot.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah I have no idea how well IINA does power consumption-wise since i don't have a macbook but it's my fave video player user experience by far.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Zil posted:

Upload to imgur mainly I guess.

Tried to make a Shortcut to do this but I couldn't get the resulting URL to copy outside of the Shortcuts interface.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
VLC has become the thing that everyone uses because it’s what they’ve always used and it’s on every platform. There was probably a time when it was ahead of the competition but that time has long passed. IINA is much better on macOS, and there are better options for windows users as well.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

101 posted:

CleanShot X is fantastic, but I don't think it has Imgur support since they want you to use their own cloud upload service (I do not, I just point it at a Dropbox folder)

I love Cleanshot, the features they keep adding seem valuable, but my biggest gripe is that they don't support automatic cloud service uploading like many other tools do. I work around this by just having my Screenshots auto-save in an iCloud Drive folder. I could sync the folder across other cloud services, but it's a bit of a workaround.

I use it all the time to create gifs, mockups, videos, etc.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

I use IINA since vlc isn't optimized for poo poo for the specific platform, i suggest you give it a shot.

sweet thanks!!!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

tuyop posted:

Tried to make a Shortcut to do this but I couldn't get the resulting URL to copy outside of the Shortcuts interface.

I had one on iOS that did it successfully, weird that MacOS gets all jammed up.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Corb3t posted:

I work around this by just having my Screenshots auto-save in an iCloud Drive folder. I could sync the folder across other cloud services, but it's a bit of a workaround.

I've had no issues pointing it at a Dropbox folder. Syncs instantly.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Kibner posted:

I know it limits the frequency the chips can run at but don't know if it does anything else.

M1/M2 have two types of cores, performance and efficiency. E cores use about a tenth the power of P cores, but provide peformance much better than 1/10th of a P core (~1/3 for M1, much better than 1/3 for M2). Low power mode isn't really a CPU frequency limiter, it just runs everything on the E cores and lets the P cores go idle.

There might be a frequency limit on the GPU side though, IDK what they do there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone run into Safari being slow with text input (specifically on the forums)? On my M1 air I have no issues in safari, but for whatever reason on my 16" m1 macbook pro the text input lags. It's slow enough that it throws off my typing — reminds me of using vnc over a slow connection or something. It's really weird and annoying. Chrome works fine.