Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

That live episode where Keychain goes “Maybe I could get…Jen’s’ bones…” still makes me burst out laughing to think about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I couldn't tell you what the plot of trinyvale was if you put a gun to my head, but yeah it's some of their best character work for sure, I'm always happy when they go back to them. Just an amazing game of Murph's low-status character pretending to be high, and Jake and Emily's high status (specifically relative to murph's at least) characters pretending to be low. I also loved every time they used magic to teleport to the airport

My attention span for podcasts is not so hot these days so if I'm being honest I regularly forget what's going on in the plot even in the main campaigns but even through that blurry lens, it's a great podcast, it's still really fun to listen to moment-to-moment. And I like that they're doing the monthly non-campaign episode, presumably they're doing it for me specifically. I'm almost tempted to risk getting covid to see the live d&d court show they're doing in January, that sounds like it will be rowdy, but honestly even in the before times I hated that theater, my legs don't fit all the way in the seats

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh I forgot another issue I had with Eldermourne: outside of Henry it kinda felt like none of the PCs really…wanted to play their characters. I genuinely forgot the Endo Friendos existed but tbh now that I think about it them and the Hexbuds felt like characters Caldwell/Emily especially way wanted to play more than Zirk and Fia, and even Jake seemed really comfortable with his two alternate characters and really down to goof in a way that slotted with a comedic vibe.

Yeah I feel real bad about it but on the whole I guess I just think eldermourne is a giant mess. It’s still decent and hey, I finished it, which was more than I can say for Amnesty aka the increasingly dull adventures of bisexual Mary Sue and her buddies that were human-shaped holes in space but it just felt like a story that had way too much going on without resolving a lot of it in an elegant or convenient way.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Emily and Caldwell have both DM'd for the show, so now I just want Jake to DM a campaign to see how he fares as the DM trying to corral that chaos. I don't know if he ever wants to, but I do recall him saying that he DM'd a one off home game as a present for one of Jill's friends or something several years back during a Short Rest, so he's got some experience at it at the least and it's not completely impossible.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I could see him doing a one shot some time yeah. A one shot where all the NPCs are fighter subclasses

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

A Jake DM sounds like a disaster. I'm all for it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

You know, the more I think about it the more hilarious it is for me to think about how apparently Jake approached D and D with the assumption that Hardwon was already an established, successful, and actualized hero. Let me be clear: I love Jake, he’s probably the secret sauce that turns NADDPOD from good to great because you see the evolution of the broiest dudebro ever into a guy who is just killer at every aspect of DnD, and it’s genuinely pretty cool to see his growing enthusiasm for learning how to RP well, but…like, dude, even disregarding that you were starting at level 1, implying growth was going to happen, what did he imagine the arc of his character was gonna be if he just arrived at Moonstone tavern a self assured, confident, and utterly capable badass? Like, part of what makes Hardwon incredible is that he starts as the most generic whitebread dude before Jake realizes that a character is good because they’re flawed and starts injecting insecurities and self-doubt into him, but what would the campaign have been like if Jake never came to that realization?

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

It felt like jakes frame of reference for not only dnd but fantasy in general was Aragorn showing up in fellowship and immediately being a huge badass that fends off a bunch of super powerful bad guys by himself

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

JOSEPH SAMOAN posted:

It felt like jakes frame of reference for not only dnd but fantasy in general was Aragorn showing up in fellowship and immediately being a huge badass that fends off a bunch of super powerful bad guys by himself

Yeah, once you learn that Jake isn't (or wasn't) really a fantasy fiction guy but loves Lord of the Rings, a lot of things begin to make sense.

He is definitely not the first person who expected his low-level character to be this amazing hero from the start (and was a lot more gracious about finding out differently than most such people I've run into over the years). It probably helped that his natural comedy style is all about being self-deprecating.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah jake's gift is rapidly realizing how preposterous it was and immediately tripling down on it

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

“Watch this” was really a gift in so many ways

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It really was, especially with his sudden and immediate realization that he can say all he wants that his character loving rules but the utterly impartial and random dice actually determine if he is actually cool in the moment or not. I think it also helped because it wasn’t Murph loving with him, either logically (“you’re level one you can’t just be amazing at everything forever always”) or as a razz (“dude I’m gonna punish you for being such a braggart for no reason”). The dice, in their randomness, are strangely fair and a big credit to Jake for immediately realizing that and internalizing that logic for roleplaying moving forward.

In retrospect it’s also what makes the jacket incident so hilarious, because it’s Jake having a pretty justifiable reaction to a nat 20 for an otherwise irrelevant story beat that would give his sadsack loser an unasterisked win, but even then Murph kinda fucks him on it and we’ve heard Jake go through literal years of game playing and, in this moment, where he’s not being an unreasonable or demanding player and yet he still gets screwed over. Sort of the dramatic inverse of watch this.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

NieR Occomata posted:

In retrospect it’s also what makes the jacket incident so hilarious, because it’s Jake having a pretty justifiable reaction to a nat 20 for an otherwise irrelevant story beat that would give his sadsack loser an unasterisked win, but even then Murph kinda fucks him on it and we’ve heard Jake go through literal years of game playing and, in this moment, where he’s not being an unreasonable or demanding player and yet he still gets screwed over. Sort of the dramatic inverse of watch this.

I'm in the middle of an Eldermourne relisten so i just heard that, and I think the funniest part was how much more upset (or at least "upset") Emily got about DENYING THE NATURAL 20 than Jake even did.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

upon re-listening the funniest part about the jean jacket bit is the wistful music kicking back in when murph starts to describe the jacket being lame

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Let’s all remember this event again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ5--q4GB2k

IN CAMPAIGN ONE THEY FOUND WERTHER’S ORIGINALS. THEY FOUND WERTHER’S ORIGINALS. LET THE RECORD SHOW.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Murph was right.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I don't know how, but I somehow managed to forget the jacket so thank you for this

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

this mission that duck team is undergoing is possibly the coolest sequence in naddpod to date

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
yooo

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

This episode really puts a fine point on it: if you don’t like Emily or complain about the ideas she has or implements, you’re a misogynist piece of poo poo and almost more importantly you hate fun cool inventive poo poo. God, she’s such a loving good D&D player, gently caress.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Cone of Everything Quietly Explodes Into Giblets

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

NieR Occomata posted:

Oh I forgot another issue I had with Eldermourne: outside of Henry it kinda felt like none of the PCs really…wanted to play their characters. I genuinely forgot the Endo Friendos existed but tbh now that I think about it them and the Hexbuds felt like characters Caldwell/Emily especially way wanted to play more than Zirk and Fia, and even Jake seemed really comfortable with his two alternate characters and really down to goof in a way that slotted with a comedic vibe.

Yeah I feel real bad about it but on the whole I guess I just think eldermourne is a giant mess. It’s still decent and hey, I finished it, which was more than I can say for Amnesty aka the increasingly dull adventures of bisexual Mary Sue and her buddies that were human-shaped holes in space but it just felt like a story that had way too much going on without resolving a lot of it in an elegant or convenient way.

I agree with much of this. Just kinda fell flat overall. The side-story with Lou/Emily/Jake when Caldwell had just had his kid was vastly better in my opinion than the main story for C2. Not because Caldwell was absent, but because the characters somehow seemed more interesting and fun right out of the gate. Also: Jabari.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I wish someone put out a YouTube supercut of every single episode of D&D court the same way some dude has posted all of Munch Squad from MBMBAM.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

NieR Occomata posted:

I finally caught up to this podcast, and it’s the version of TAZ I always wanted it to be and kinda only was during the balance arc.

That being said I really didn’t much enjoy Eldermourne, it felt like a complicated mess of like fifteen different plots happening simultaneously and I couldn’t really find any purchase during it because it was so plot focused. It also didn’t help that I didn’t really like any of the characters besides Hank; Caldwell is best when he’s playing a weird little guy and Zirk was just kind of bland, Fia was a surprisingly subdued and kind of boring character for Emily to play which is…insane to think about considering how consistently incredible she is in this/D20 but here we are. Eldermourne didn’t suck per se and like this vest goof is an all-timer but it felt like it burned through a lot of its potential by getting caught in the slog of its narrative.

Campaign 3 is fuckin incredible though, such a strong return to form for everyone. Such incredible role playing and has that original magic of great comedy while being a genuinely enthralling world.

Also maybe this is bizarre of me to think but I might actually think Trinyvale/Hot Boy Summer(s) might be the best campaigns of NADDPOD, mostly because everyone is really good at playing completely irredeemable pieces of poo poo. Also I think Caldwell could say literally anything as Keychain and make me crack up.

I’d really like to see the whole gang on a season of D20, mostly to see how Jake and Caldwell do with Brennan as a DM.

Hot Boy Summer is I think unironically my favorite of the new shorter campaign structure. And it definitely might be my favorite overall as well

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Hot Boy Summer is I think unironically my favorite of the new shorter campaign structure. And it definitely might be my favorite overall as well

I really like Hot Boy Summer, but it's also something I genuinely don't think I could listen to or enjoy if it was a longer campaign because the cast are all such shitheads and it's kind of tiring dealing with them for more than a few episodes. As is, I find the constant "Uh Mavrus...can I sidebar with you?" stuff trying a lot of the time. That said, Burning Babe was great, and had a lot of fun running gags like Dry July and Hogtober.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

tsob posted:

I really like Hot Boy Summer, but it's also something I genuinely don't think I could listen to or enjoy if it was a longer campaign because the cast are all such shitheads and it's kind of tiring dealing with them for more than a few episodes. As is, I find the constant "Uh Mavrus...can I sidebar with you?" stuff trying a lot of the time. That said, Burning Babe was great, and had a lot of fun running gags like Dry July and Hogtober.

*Hogust :)

I agree that Hot Boy Summer is GOAT status. I've listened to both campaigns twice now and laughed just as hard the 2nd time as I caught all the stuff I missed the first time around (Did you know that Hungry Dave's dad's name is McRibniax?)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hot Boy Summer makes it clear that, incredibly, Mavrus somehow has toned himself down after moving to Galaderon, which is just the most buck loving wild assertion to make.

Of his three best friends the only one I could see the band of boobs liking out of hand is Hungry Dave, and that’s assuming he actually does become a dentist in the main canon. Mac and especially Tread would just be clowned on endlessly.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Emily roleplaying being mind controlled is such a treat

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

Emily roleplaying being mind controlled is such a treat

This was so funny. Turning this generic baddy into a earthy-crunchy crystal healer type by roleplaying how pathetic Petrichor is was fantastic.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sankara posted:

This was so funny. Turning this generic baddy into a earthy-crunchy crystal healer type by roleplaying how pathetic Petrichor is was fantastic.

It also helped that it had no name beyond "the shock inquisitor" which is such a clumsy and funny thing to call someone that you're ostensibly fond of

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Shock Inquisitor wizard

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I’m patreon subscribed but y’all should listen to Caldwell’s Hogliday ad read if you haven’t.

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

Man what a ride

that was a brutal episode but I’m glad princess shiverblight has now taken her rightful throne as the campaigns true hero

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

All hail the Mean Girl Queen!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sankara posted:

All hail the Mean Girl Queen!

No :effort:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I’ve always wanted to know how Jake and/or Emily would cuckold Sonic the Hedgehog.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I laughed pretty hard at Jake going all in on Sally Acorn. Just the more frustrated Murph becomes, the hotter she gets.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

We just caught up with the campaign episodes and I’ve got to echo the praise in this thread for Emily. When she weighed the options Murph gave her through Glen and said, “I’m not going to play by Glenn’s rules,” I was hootin and hollerin. It was fun from a character perspective and even more fun from a play perspective. All of it was there, and Emily was able to see it and act on it. Of course it helped that Murph was able to also see how cool her plan was and discard everything he had previously planned. Emily is an incredible player in an incredible cast.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
She's also a great support player, both in boosting other players and in boosting the world in general. The Crick wouldn't be nearly the madness it is without her constant improv, and her committing to the bit with Shiverblight this episode was great. No offense to Caldwell or Jake of course, who immediately and intuitively went along with it too but Emily is definitely the stand out in the podcast.

That said, Caldwell saying he aims to be the Krillin in every situation really rings true for him, and explains basically every character he's played even if he mostly said it as a joke.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I've been listening to this podcast too much because we just hired a guy named tucker and i'm instantly suspicious of him

though i suppose carlson poisoned the name enough already