Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Now you can turn on the adult swim marathon and catch jokes you missed on your first few hundred rewatches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I've laughed at visual gags with the show running on a background window because I know the scene well enough. It had a lot of sleepless nights early on during covid furlough I swear I watched it entirely at least a dozen times in that few months. It is very burned into my brain now.

Marathon at the same time every day is interesting as you see several of the same episodes usually as the time slowly slides the total runtime with ads is like 30 hours on there.

You don't have to watch this many times to enjoy it but you can still find new stuff. I think I've run out of references I don't know and watching them to fully appreciate them. Actually I need to watch Barbarella and Labyrinth neither seemed like I was missing much.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 13, 2022

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Welcome friend. Time to start your rewatch of the series.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

mutantIke posted:

Officially caught up with the show. Looking forward to that movie that still might not be happening

I’m glad you started having very Hank opinions instead of your early opinions which were not Hank at all.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Riven posted:

I’m glad you started having very Hank opinions instead of your early opinions which were not Hank at all.

Enrico Matassa is also very Hank, he is so Hank that he is double Hank!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

mutantIke posted:

Officially caught up with the show. Looking forward to that movie that still might not be happening

I've said it before in this thread but, BUY THE BOOK

"Go Team Venture: The Art and Making of The Venture Bros." published by Dark Horse.

quote:

Ken Plume sits down with series creators Jackson Publick and Doc Hammer to have a conversation about the creation of every single episode through season 6 and much more. From the earliest sketches of Hank and Dean scribbled in a notebook to pitching the series to Cartoon Network's Adult Swim, learning the ins and outs of animation, character designs for each season, storyboards, painted backgrounds, and behind-the-scenes recollections of how the show came together--it's all here.

* Foreword by Patton Oswalt!

* Featuring never-before-seen artwork from the hit Cartoon Network series!

* Original sketches!

CREATORS
Writer:
Jackson Publick, Doc Hammer, Ken Plume
Artist:
Jackson Publick, Doc Hammer
Genre: Art Book
Publication Date:
July 18, 2018
Format:
FC, 376 pages; HC, 9'' x 12''
Price:
$39.99

It's a big ole thicc boi, and it's really in depth and just straight up fantastic.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

"Go Team Venture: The Art and Making of The Venture Bros." published by Dark Horse.

unfortunately it's out of print and $500 you have a collectors item now.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I bought the book. But I only read the pdf. So big is difficult to hold.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

pixaal posted:

unfortunately it's out of print and $500 you have a collectors item now.

as someone who buys oop poo poo and never pays over cover price, here's a pro tip. create a few saved search terms like "venture HC" "venture brothers book" etc. Not everyone is a scalper/flipper and you'll see the occasional thing pop up with an alert of a normal person with a generic listing (on ebay, but also try mercari, offerup, etc etc etc)

also, check book stores around you, this thing was mass printed and even last year was 30 bucks. there are copies collecting dust on shelves for cover price

gently caress paying more then that though

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

as someone who buys oop poo poo and never pays over cover price, here's a pro tip. create a few saved search terms like "venture HC" "venture brothers book" etc. Not everyone is a scalper/flipper and you'll see the occasional thing pop up with an alert of a normal person with a generic listing (on ebay, but also try mercari, offerup, etc etc etc)

also, check book stores around you, this thing was mass printed and even last year was 30 bucks. there are copies collecting dust on shelves for cover price

gently caress paying more then that though

I have a copy, I'd do the hunt thing and wait if I wanted one. It's just not as straight forward as it has been of go on Amazon and get it in the morning.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

deong posted:

I bought the book. But I only read the pdf. So big is difficult to hold.

Same here. It also keeps the book in good condition and well away from baby hands that may cause harm.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

pixaal posted:

I have a copy, I'd do the hunt thing and wait if I wanted one. It's just not as straight forward as it has been of go on Amazon and get it in the morning.

it's in that limbo of half the ebay listing are three digits and half are what the book is actually worth

so ideally it isn't waiting around long, and just catch one on ebay for a normal price. harder to get yeah, but still not crazy hard like most OOP artbooks

e: I could also see a world where it gets a re-print around the same time as the special/movie comes out. I have other DH books that went OOP and then got a reprint 5-10 years later. If that doesn't happen, I don't see this thing getting a 2nd printing otherwise though :(

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 14, 2022

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'd love a supplement with season 7 and the movie [to actually be printed around 2035].

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
def don't pay hundreds of dollars but it's worth putting in a little work to find one, it is a wonderful artifact.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

zer0spunk posted:

It's a big ole thicc boi, and it's really in depth and just straight up fantastic.

I like to make it a personal rule to not support Patton Oswalt in his various escapades but I will make an exception due to my love of pricy bullshit. I have experience with saved eBay searches, had one out for a special edition DVD that usually goes for like 100 smackers

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

lmao what stupid reason do you have for blacklisting patton oswalt of all people, let's hear it

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
he's good buds with A Wyatt Mann and Jim Goad for one.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm curious too. He's done some ahit that makes me give him the side-eye, but nothing so severe I have to hate him.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I looked up his Wikipedia article to try and figure out why folks may dislike him - he's done work for Mystery Science Theatre 3000, so maybe he's friends with the kind of right-wing guy who's on there, he apparently donated money to a gofundme for a Trump supporter, (so maybe a "they go low, we go high" nonsense) and he married quickly after the death of his first wife. (Who apparently had an opiod addiction at time of death, and undiagnosed heart disease conflicting with a number of drugs she had taken at the time was apparently the cause of death, so maybe it's him being seen as not very supportive of his wife? He was part of publicising his first wife's posthumous book, maybe making money from that.)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

lmao what stupid reason do you have for blacklisting patton oswalt of all people, let's hear it

His episode of Blank Check on Kubrick was loving awful.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

LashLightning posted:

he married quickly after the death of his first wife

Can't defend the rest, but I've always heard that it's pretty normal for people who had a good marriage to marry quickly after their spouse's death. I suppose wanting to feel the comfort and normalcy of that relationship again.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

uber_stoat posted:

he's good buds with A Wyatt Mann and Jim Goad for one.

https://twitter.com/McGreedbottom/status/1091769897133264897

Not sure about his history with Goad but Patton and Nick Bougas (A. Wyatt Mann) apparently go way back to the days when Bougas would have been selling white supremacist cartoons to Tom Metzger for publication in The Insurgent, including that "Happy Merchant" antisemitic caricature channer Nazis are so fond of.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Mantis42 posted:

He annoys me, mainly

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Pope Guilty posted:

https://twitter.com/McGreedbottom/status/1091769897133264897

Not sure about his history with Goad but Patton and Nick Bougas (A. Wyatt Mann) apparently go way back to the days when Bougas would have been selling white supremacist cartoons to Tom Metzger for publication in The Insurgent, including that "Happy Merchant" antisemitic caricature channer Nazis are so fond of.
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Okay. This sucks.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
https://youtu.be/xSTN3mHEAOA

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Just came across a character in High On Life voiced by James Urbaniak. He’s got a good Rusty-esque rant.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Fartington Butts posted:

Just came across a character in High On Life voiced by James Urbaniak. He’s got a good Rusty-esque rant.

I saw him on an episode of CSI: Miami once. His character always seemed like five seconds away from just going "Brock, please beat this self-righteous redheaded dweeb cop wannabe to death so I can get back to the beach and some primo girl-perving."

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Pretty sure he was on Law and Order: SVU as either an rear end or piss freak.

Sorry I can’t remember which exactly.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

LashLightning posted:

I looked up his Wikipedia article to try and figure out why folks may dislike him - he's done work for Mystery Science Theatre 3000, so maybe he's friends with the kind of right-wing guy who's on there, he apparently donated money to a gofundme for a Trump supporter, (so maybe a "they go low, we go high" nonsense) and he married quickly after the death of his first wife. (Who apparently had an opiod addiction at time of death, and undiagnosed heart disease conflicting with a number of drugs she had taken at the time was apparently the cause of death, so maybe it's him being seen as not very supportive of his wife? He was part of publicising his first wife's posthumous book, maybe making money from that.)

What right-wing guy is on Mystery Science Theater?

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

I AM GRANDO posted:

What right-wing guy is on Mystery Science Theater?

Mike Nelson is a bit of a conservative, though he does not talk about his politics much. Its been a while since I've looked for it, but I remember it being more "Small Government" than "MAGA" type. I deeply hope it has not changed for the worse.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I hope that’s right, but even if it’s not, Mike Nelson hasn’t been involved with the show since 1999.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Crazy Ferret posted:

Mike Nelson is a bit of a conservative, though he does not talk about his politics much. Its been a while since I've looked for it, but I remember it being more "Small Government" than "MAGA" type. I deeply hope it has not changed for the worse.

He definitely isn't. He and his seemingly fairly progressive pastor are even pro BLM at least according to their podcast.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
mike nelson is a christian social conservative but he's not like a xenophobe insurrectionist chud so he's fine. for what it's worth, mike nelson's alt-MST3K project, rifftrax, had some pretty yikes jokes back in the day about trans folks but when these things get pointed out they're quick to go back and edit out things that are more broadly accepted as offensive now than they were considered in 2008 or whenever. no foot dragging or grandstanding about free speech, they just remove the objectionable content and that's that, which is pretty good for white midwestern boomers. also the other main rifftrax guys, kevin murphy and bill corbett, are pretty loud and left online - iirc bill is in DSA

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 17, 2022

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Rifftrax also pulled the episode they did with lowtax within a day of his crimes being revealed.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Mike Nelson seemed reluctant and embarrassed to post here and I’ve always respected him for that.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah he posted here purely for the hustle and had zero interest other than that. respect

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

mike nelson is a christian social conservative but he's not like a xenophobe insurrectionist chud so he's fine. for what it's worth, mike nelson's alt-MST3K project, rifftrax, had some pretty yikes jokes back in the day about trans folks but when these things get pointed out they're quick to go back and edit out things that are more broadly accepted as offensive now than they were considered in 2008 or whenever. no foot dragging or grandstanding about free speech, they just remove the objectionable content and that's that, which is pretty good for white midwestern boomers. also the other main rifftrax guys, kevin murphy and bill corbett, are pretty loud and left online - iirc bill is in DSA

Similarly when it got pointed out that the character Gypsy's name is a racial slur, the MST3K crew admitted they hadn't realized that and while they couldn't really fix that for existing episodes they did commit to changing her name for any and all future MST3K content(she now goes by GPC)

I AM GRANDO posted:

Rifftrax also pulled the episode they did with lowtax within a day of his crimes being revealed.

Man why do assholes often have to be talented at comedy, like the Ron Paul Campaign Ad video Lowtax did is one of the funniest pieces of political parody I've ever seen but it's tainted by being connected to him

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Mokinokaro posted:

He definitely isn't. He and his seemingly fairly progressive pastor are even pro BLM at least according to their podcast.

That is a good to hear. I know it was an older attribution so I'm totally happy to be wrong here.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Everyone posted:

I saw him on an episode of CSI: Miami once. His character always seemed like five seconds away from just going "Brock, please beat this self-righteous redheaded dweeb cop wannabe to death so I can get back to the beach and some primo girl-perving."

My younger brother has a weird trait where whenever he's on his computer he's almost always got The Office playing on a second monitor, like on a loop, and the other day I saw that episode that has cameos from like 800 people including Mark Proksch and Beth Grant (?????) and was shocked beyond belief by an Urbaniak appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Apparently James Urbaniak has an upcoming role as Himmler. Yes, that Himmler. Although is there any other Himmler?