Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

wilderthanmild posted:

All those dead dwarves freed up a lot of clothes! Gotta find the bright side.

Never ask a woman
Her age

Never ask a man
His salary

Never ask a dwarf
Where all the clothes they're selling came from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

why disable aquifers when you can just pick an embark without them

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I need a volcano so I can't be super choosey

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

yeah alright this embark whips, two rivers meeting at one point while also both being waterfalls. Time to build directly in the open space and hopefully not cause a lot of dwarves to fall to their deaths

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Pretty sure I’ve read that 3/7 water will put out combusting dwarves and/or their clothing.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Has anyone had lignite and/or bituminous coal in the steam version? Because I haven't seen it either.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

hailthefish posted:

Has anyone had lignite and/or bituminous coal in the steam version? Because I haven't seen it either.

Absolutely. My current v50.03 fort has lots of both.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

VideoWitch posted:

yeah alright this embark whips, two rivers meeting at one point while also both being waterfalls. Time to build directly in the open space and hopefully not cause a lot of dwarves to fall to their deaths

That’s one cool fuckin’ formation right there.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Unless you have really bad luck with light aquifers, most of the time you can punch through with aggressively forcing your dwarves to dig stairs through wet ground, until you outpace it dripping down and then you can use the runoff from your leaking aquifer for a nice little cistern/waterfall/fountain. Sure, you can wall it off, but most of the time the running water isn't that big of a deal as long as you have some open spaces.

Of course, this can screw you, too. I punched through a light aquifer and built a fortress beneath it; when I found another one below, I tried mining through it and learned what a heavy aquifer's water pressure can do to your fort. 💧💧💧

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Appoda posted:

I've done this and I've literally watched cave fish women rot down to the bone before they'll pick up all the pieces and chuck them into a dumping zone. That's with 10-15 dwarves locked on nothing but refuse and corpse hauling, and it's right next to a busy area. Everyone going through a stink cloud to pick up a log or whatever is crashing my fort happiness. :(

I don't know what it is, but marking something for dumping feels like it makes it the lowest possible priority out of anything in the fort, and also prevents the offending item from being "stockpiled" in a corpse or refuse stockpile.

More annoying than that is I have dwarfs who leave food everywhere; since it has ownership and isn't considered refuse until it rots, it'll stay there until someone either claims it or it rots and is making a stink. It's really bad in my barracks, as I think the food gets dropped while putting on weapons/armor when I have my militia cycled for training.

i had something similar happen and i got the dwarves to clean up by creating a custom work detail in the labor menu and only selected specific cleaning tasks and assigned my least busy dwarves to it.

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

If a visiting merchant dies to one of the giant animals on my map is it safe to take his stuff from the depot or will his faction still get mad?

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

So my 200+ fortress had its first FB who showed up to exactly the wrong miner, a necro who occupied it with bits of other dwarfs long enough that by the time the militia got there all my farmers, gatherers etc weren't harmed other than the few who got hit first.

The necro miner was one of the eventual victims of its poison bite however she left the legacy of two still useful zombies stitched up like rag dolls

and in the caverns, hhhhhhalf a headless toddler :gonk:

I've closed access to the caverns for now.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I just randomly got an elephant as one of my two pack animals. :catstare: Well, ol' Stampy can hang out in the dog pen. I don't think I need to worry too much about random riffraff now.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Nessus posted:

I just randomly got an elephant as one of my two pack animals. :catstare: Well, ol' Stampy can hang out in the dog pen. I don't think I need to worry too much about random riffraff now.

Getting an elephant as your embark beast of burden is like winning the lottery

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

GruntyThrst posted:

Minecarts seem like a lot of effort to set up for relatively little gain tbh when wheelbarrows exist. Like, maybe useful for megaproject construction?

The Dwarven Shotgun

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Can I stream play this from my PC to my Macbook Pro M1 with the Steamlink app on the Mac, or did they not enable this feature?

My PC is hooked up to a big TV in my basement and that feels less than ideal to play on and would like to do some from my desk.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Appoda posted:

Unless you have really bad luck with light aquifers, most of the time you can punch through with aggressively forcing your dwarves to dig stairs through wet ground

It’s less the difficulty of getting through th that’s is frustrating me and more that they’re so thick they’re taking up all the space in the layer of the map I wanted to build in.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

hailthefish posted:

Lignite balls

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

hailthefish posted:

Tons. Along with iron and flux and occasionally some platinum and gold.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I can now see why that one demon was so deadly. Every dwarf that fought him specifically has destroyed eyes apparently.

30+ dwarves dead. At least 15 alive but blind.

Yikes.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

hailthefish posted:

Are you looking in sedimentary stone layers? There sometimes aren't many floors of those.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

https://imgur.com/XRNv6rW

what am I missing? why won't my idiots build this screw pump? it's not where I want it, but I'm just trying to get them to do it in multiple spots and they simply aren't.

all other constructions are happening, and just in case I enabled engineering. wood parts are right there!

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 17, 2022

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Can I stream play this from my PC to my Macbook Pro M1 with the Steamlink app on the Mac, or did they not enable this feature?

My PC is hooked up to a big TV in my basement and that feels less than ideal to play on and would like to do some from my desk.

I could stream it to my Macbook Air just fine.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Since I keep seeing it mentioned - IIRC, the 100+ zlevel forts are a problem with default worldgen settings, advanced worlds generally bottom out between 40 and 80 levels sooner

You should be in the magma sea or close to it by the time you get down 40 levels from your base elevation. This has been a bug since DF2012 IIRC

It's kind of shocking simple worldgen is still doing this because the 100-150 zlevel forts are very nearly unplayable imo

esquilax posted:

Are you looking in sedimentary stone layers? There sometimes aren't many floors of those.

Worth noting that if you play in/around volcanos a lot you almost never get sedimentary stone layers in the same biome as the volcano

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 17, 2022

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
first traders got stuck so I had to deconstruct the trade depot - now I get no migrants :(

Hopefully they like my "not inside the walls because gently caress you" system more

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

So question, is there a reason not to lump all of my animals in one area until I figure out what the heck I want to do with them? I've got a fair few livestock animals and also a pair of fully tame jaguars thanks to an elvish caravan, along with the usual mess of dogs and a couple of cats

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Weembles posted:

I could stream it to my Macbook Air just fine.

Awesome, I got it to work and even figured out windowed mode (option-enter). Now to tweak the settings so the lag doesn't suck rear end. (both ethernet, so likely playing around with settings)

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

madmatt112 posted:

Getting an elephant as your embark beast of burden is like winning the lottery

why mine just eat all my grass

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Chic Trombone posted:

So question, is there a reason not to lump all of my animals in one area until I figure out what the heck I want to do with them? I've got a fair few livestock animals and also a pair of fully tame jaguars thanks to an elvish caravan, along with the usual mess of dogs and a couple of cats

Unless you have a specific plan for them, it's generally best to just build a huge pasture around your starting wagon, and then just leave the starting wagon there; It seems to be a default meeting point for your fortress and if it exists in the pasture the animals will favor it to hanging out in your tavern and getting perpetually dragged back to the pasture

I strongly recommend keeping all of your animals outside, in a pasture, away from any vertical climb in your fortress - like, 30 or more tiles away from the nearest staircase, with nothing built in any tile below their pasture. You want your animals to not even think about pathing through your fortress, ever. They will kill your FPS trying to do weird animal pathing poo poo across 15 z-levels of mining tunnels if you give them the opportunity

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Super No Vacancy posted:

why mine just eat all my grass

it's because you can butcher the elephant for like 1600 embark pts worth of food

one elephant will feed your fortress for your first 3 years

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
My volcano fort has run into the problem all my volcano forts do, it's too easy to be successful.... I think I'll do a tundra/frozen ocean fort and try hunting whales or something cool

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Mirthless posted:

it's because you can butcher the elephant for like 1600 embark pts worth of food

one elephant will feed your fortress for your first 3 years

seems cruel. my legendary chef turns all my crappy clay crops into masterpieces regardless

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Super No Vacancy posted:

seems cruel. my legendary chef turns all my crappy clay crops into masterpieces regardless

I used to farm.

And then.... I learned about temperature calculations.

:tinfoil:

i'll eat the heat that's already on the map instead of adding more heat signatures

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Will my idiot dwarves use this adamantine thread we've wasted so many lives on to like suture wounds or make clothes unless I forbid it all?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

wilderthanmild posted:

Will my idiot dwarves use this adamantine thread we've wasted so many lives on to like suture wounds or make clothes unless I forbid it all?
What does your heart tell you (the answer is yes)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

When you refuse to consider a grudge righted

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

VideoWitch posted:

Playing where rivers meet is fun. Here's a giant 7-floor waterfall with flat walls :allears:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

When the elves make their mandate about trees, do they care if you tear up the cave trees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

why disable aquifers when you can just pick an embark without them

Yeah haha, I do a scan of any map at the start looking for flux stone and no aquifer and consider those the only possible spots or choices. I seem to remember that combo basically guarantees you a spot with good metals and metal production mineral and lava, while avoiding aquifers and super sandy/dirty places with not much rock. Aquifers don't really offer anything to me, seems like water is easy to get from caverns in worse case scenario even if you settle somewhere surface dry. If you get any rain at all you can dig a pong or whatever too. I've punched through aquifers before and it just cramps my options too much.

volcanoes are tempting though I get that impulse