Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

all the old stories of difficulty with aquifers and how they're a huge pain in the rear end you have to do complicated engineering works to bypass are somewhat out of date. There's now two types of aquifers, heavy and light; all the old stories and guides are for what are now Heavy Aquifers. Light ones you can dig out and you've got like 10 whole rear end seconds before it starts leaking a single level of water. I had a bare aquifer tile in a fort I was running recently and the tile of water it spit out would often evaporate before it got to level 2.

There's nothing to fear with light aquifers, the benefits of having one are worth the 3 extra brain cells you've got to rub together to deal with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I would pay another thirty dollars if toady just added volcanoes and nearby civilizations to the site finder.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, I didn't notice I undercut a light aquifer for like two hours and the only damage was a little mud on the floor, it never progressed past "evaporates instantly"

My vast artificial underground lake on the other hand had some unfortunate water pressure issues vis-a-vis my well

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Do waterfalls block the movement of birds, like Keas? If I dug right up to the edge of this waterfall and put an open-air tavern there would pesky thieves fly into it?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Bad Munki posted:

When the elves make their mandate about trees, do they care if you tear up the cave trees?

I assume so, the number goes down when I cut down my local giant mushrooms.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
drat, I guess I killed the megabeast Roc attacking us but I might've dismissed the notification and have no idea who or how it went down.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

What does the lightbulb icon announcement mean?

Text was something like "[Dwarf name] has discovered the construction and use of the warded lock"

I don't see the named dwarf in the fort currently

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Made my first dwarven power plant, it's cool as hell, but it has an annoying problem where it will fill up and stop flowing, which also stops the screw pumps. I've spent a lot of hours and a lot of dwarves building this thing and I'm just about stumped on how to fix it so it drains properly. It currently pumps up to a surface pipe which deposits the water downstream back in the river.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Bad Munki posted:

When the elves make their mandate about trees, do they care if you tear up the cave trees?

yes, somehow they know

resistentialism posted:

What does the lightbulb icon announcement mean?

Text was something like "[Dwarf name] has discovered the construction and use of the warded lock"

I don't see the named dwarf in the fort currently

It means a dwarf in your civilization has discovered this technology

It's generally just a conversational thing / something dwarves can write about

https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Mechanic (edit: specifically, a thing scholars with engineering skill do)

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 17, 2022

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

PublicOpinion posted:

I assume so, the number goes down when I cut down my local giant mushrooms.

Well I guess I’ll be hearing from them soon, lol.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Bold Robot posted:

How do I do this? If I go in and edit the training order to have multiple separate "at least 1" orders, they just leave the training area and don't do anything even if I set them on constant training.

This is about the OG version but I don't think any of the steps are different if you can follow along in the Steam Military menus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuCLxPP91Lw

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
My fortress hasn't officially failed yet, but...

I actually lost over 40 dwarves in that demon fight. Mostly military, but plenty of civilians.
There is vomit literally everywhere, I haven't investigated wtf that is yet.
I have ghosts popping up despite seeming to have buried/memorialized everyone from what I can tell.

And to top it off I had a goblin siege. We outnumbered them with our military, albeit with mostly novice and untrained troops. So I sent them out to fight, well for some reason they split into two groups where one kinda hung around the door whilst the other attacked. So one group got overwhelmed, then the other, when together the probably would have won. Another 20+ish dwarves dead. The only military that survived were the ones still recuperating from the demon fight. The fort only survived because the drawbridge lever was pulled while the remaining goblins were on the bridge and they are all stuck in a 3 deep water filled pit, those fuckers.

This fort seems kinda screwed now though, at least the giant pile of corpses at the door might ward off new migrants.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I have one full squad of leather wearing murder machines. I think they've all named their weapons, have 20+ kills each, and I've yet to lose one. I'm getting tired of the never ending ant genocide, this beat squad needs some down time. They just leveled another 30 ants and Forgotten beast number three just showed his stupid face.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Space Jam posted:

i had something similar happen and i got the dwarves to clean up by creating a custom work detail in the labor menu and only selected specific cleaning tasks and assigned my least busy dwarves to it.

I have the same with like 20+ dwarves assigned to it. They still won't pick up the bodies... Maybe it's something specific to subterranean zones, 'cause I made a bunch of new corpse stockpiles hoping they'd path to them quicker and they chucked in a skeleton of a werellama they killed three years ago. :v:

I just want them to pick up the bodies... And slabs of horse meat. orz

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

Playing where rivers meet is fun. Here's a giant 7-floor waterfall with flat walls :allears:

Holy poo poo that's rad

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm working on turning it into a fine dining establishment, inn, and tavern.

The tavern is 3 floors above water level, I would have gone higher but above that is soil layers and I wanted smooth and engraved stones.

The first 2 named items my dwarves made were both Querns for some reason so they're both in the tavern, I imagine it being some kind of artisinal bespoke B&B thing where you watch the dwarves mill the grains in the beer you're drinking in some of the world's finest querns.

The only problem is no one is visiting. I haven't had a single visitor! But the dwarven caravans love me. Everything about this place is opulent and luxurious, though there's not really industry to speak of yet - just fancy food, fine stonework, intricate carvings, famous statues, a nice library for post-mealtime relaxation, etc. They loved it so much every time they visited that they already gave me a Barony, then founded a new hillocks and added it to my holdings.

I suppose I just need to load up the tavern in furniture and statues and things to get visitors.

Down at water level is a little hole in the wall that my fisherdwarves fish from.

I'm planning to build a platform out over the water, which I'll initially use for catching some of the larger fish on the west side of the lake in animal traps to display in the tavern, but once that's done I'm going to line it in opulent gem-studded statues of the gods and forgotten beasts or something.

Then I need to figure out whether I want to explode my brain trying to make windows (or just import them), or whether I just want to mine out the stone and let it be an open-air tavern looking out over the water from the safety of being behind a waterfall.

e: One major downside here is there's no wood, it's in the middle of a rocky wasteland (I guess that's why there are no visitors either lmao), which has made me understand the elves at long last: They muscle you out of harvesting wood on your own so that you're forced to buy all the wood they sell. Every time they bring a caravan, I build a carpenter shop next to the trade depot because I already have plans for all the wood they're carrying and it won't even make it to storage.

e2: Oh yeah, fish have been so absurdly abundant that I've fueled every kind of luxurious spending I could imagine on the backs of mussel/turtle shell crafts. I have 2 legendary crafters working 24/7 decorating and crafting with shell just to keep up with the amount my fishers catch.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Dec 17, 2022

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Mirthless posted:

Since I keep seeing it mentioned - IIRC, the 100+ zlevel forts are a problem with default worldgen settings, advanced worlds generally bottom out between 40 and 80 levels sooner

You should be in the magma sea or close to it by the time you get down 40 levels from your base elevation. This has been a bug since DF2012 IIRC

It's kind of shocking simple worldgen is still doing this because the 100-150 zlevel forts are very nearly unplayable imo

Is there a way to make sure my world gen isn't hosed? My current fort is indeed something like 100 z-levels to the magma sea and it just takes forever for dwarves to walk their way down there.

Mansionkiss still has problems with my brokers/bookkeepers not knowing how to properly appraise things. I guess it doesn't matter since no one's come to trade for a while anyway...

And one of my biggest problems ironically is a dwarven child who keeps throwing tantrums. I get it, Lor, you suffered some trauma and saw someone die but you gotta relax. I've taken her off hauling, she has clean clothes, the fort has plenty of toys, but nope. She's punched two dwarves to death so far (bled out in the hospital) and even ransacked a couple workshops. Convicting her for disorderly conduct doesn't actually do anything, so I have no idea how to solve this. Maybe next up is giving her the throne room.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I've got two injured dwarves sitting in the corner of my hospital. Nobody will come over and diagnose or treat them, I have a chief medical dwarf appointed and traction benches with splints/cloth in the hospital. What's missing?

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Popete posted:

I've got two injured dwarves sitting in the corner of my hospital. Nobody will come over and diagnose or treat them, I have a chief medical dwarf appointed and traction benches with splints/cloth in the hospital. What's missing?

You need to assign doctors to the hospital zone from the zone details menu.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mirthless posted:

Since I keep seeing it mentioned - IIRC, the 100+ zlevel forts are a problem with default worldgen settings, advanced worlds generally bottom out between 40 and 80 levels sooner

You should be in the magma sea or close to it by the time you get down 40 levels from your base elevation. This has been a bug since DF2012 IIRC

It's kind of shocking simple worldgen is still doing this because the 100-150 zlevel forts are very nearly unplayable imo

Worth noting that if you play in/around volcanos a lot you almost never get sedimentary stone layers in the same biome as the volcano

I am currently working on a pump stack to move my magma up 151 levels. There is no problem that Dwarven engineering cannot fix.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

junan_paalla posted:

You need to assign doctors to the hospital zone from the zone details menu.

You may need to make a custom labor profile with all the doctoring stuff enabled and order a few dwarves to do it, too. It's weird.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Any way for me to craft large clothing/armor for the volunteer humans around my fort, or do I gotta wait for an elven or human caravan to come around and sell them?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Got a couple of depressed Dwarves, including one child. Most of their thoughts and memories aren't negative, the kid might be hosed since he has memories of being haunted and dad dying. Keeps fighting people, killing people and animals. He has legendary social skills. He apparently can't be arrested.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Just had a raid of about 30 elves riding giant skunks. The giant skunks panicked immediately when a single one of my squad went into a martial trance. This resulted in a Benny Hill-style chase all over the map as the helpless elves were carried by terrified giant skunks scattering everywhere while my dwarves just cut their heads off.

Sure with my marksdwarves worked right, it would have been way easier to chase them down. Less funny though!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Lost a pretty cool fort built above some caverns to a weregopher infiltration. Never seen so many teeth as transformations kept happening in the hospital and my militia kept attacking.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Broken Cog posted:

Any way for me to craft large clothing/armor for the volunteer humans around my fort, or do I gotta wait for an elven or human caravan to come around and sell them?
quoting from the 2014 wiki:

As of version 0.42.01, your dwarves can create clothing and armor in any size to accommodate the needs of non-dwarven fortress residents. To do so, request the clothing or armor to be made from their respective workshops as usual, then in main workshop menu look at the details of the job. filter for the race you want to make clothing for and press enter twice. Alternatively, clothing made by a creature will be sized for that creature. Sizing clothing for cougar or hyena men allows it to be worn by both humans and the dwarf-sized races.

I don't know if this is still how it works but that should get you most of the way. So a couple of options there, like having the humans make their own damned clothing. Or furries.

stringless fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Dec 17, 2022

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

tweet my meat posted:

Made my first dwarven power plant, it's cool as hell

Idk how to solve that problem but that’s cool as hell and I’m going to try something similar!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

LegionAreI posted:

Just had a raid of about 30 elves riding giant skunks. The giant skunks panicked immediately when a single one of my squad went into a martial trance. This resulted in a Benny Hill-style chase all over the map as the helpless elves were carried by terrified giant skunks scattering everywhere while my dwarves just cut their heads off.

Sure with my marksdwarves worked right, it would have been way easier to chase them down. Less funny though!

Hahahahahahahaha

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Well drat... this autumn's trade caravan took so long to unpack that they ended up leaving without giving me a chance to trade...

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

madmatt112 posted:

Getting an elephant as your embark beast of burden is like winning the lottery

I got one too on the game k just started.

I even got to see the elephant

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Is there a way just to make a stockpile for just fuel? I can't find where the heck charcoal and coke are listed in the stockpile menus.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

of course my broker gets a strange mood right when the trading caravan arrives

emSparkly posted:

Is there a way just to make a stockpile for just fuel? I can't find where the heck charcoal and coke are listed in the stockpile menus.

coal is under bars/blocks: other materials for some reason, i had to hunt for it too. select coal. coke however i’m not sure.

Space Jam fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Dec 17, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

emSparkly posted:

I think it's, oddly for DF, under a catch all category under bar (whatever it's called) -> other, next to potash etc.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Well, I met my first Hydra today,

I was just thinking my fort had gotten a bit overcrowded! Less fun is I lost some really good dorfs in the killspree, despite it never actually breaching the fortress

e: aaaaaaand of *course* a legendary artifact starts being made right after I put in my work order for 50 rock coffins

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

emSparkly posted:

Yes, I believe Charcoal and Coke are both in as Coal in the Bars section

Funny way of doing it, since coal is a third thing, but blocks of bituminous coal are in a different category as blocks of rocks, not bars.

fermun fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 17, 2022

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

FFT posted:

quoting from the 2014 wiki:

As of version 0.42.01, your dwarves can create clothing and armor in any size to accommodate the needs of non-dwarven fortress residents. To do so, request the clothing or armor to be made from their respective workshops as usual, then in main workshop menu look at the details of the job. filter for the race you want to make clothing for and press enter twice. Alternatively, clothing made by a creature will be sized for that creature. Sizing clothing for cougar or hyena men allows it to be worn by both humans and the dwarf-sized races.

I don't know if this is still how it works but that should get you most of the way. So a couple of options there, like having the humans make their own damned clothing. Or furries.

Just what I was looking for, cheers!
Some busywork setting it up, but once I have set up a perpetual workorder to replenish whenever the stocks run low, it should be fine, so it's a one-time thing.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Kinda annoying that I cannot set a skill level on a workshop anymore. I guess the game got into a good enough state for release? Hard to imagine Tarn removing things.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Why is there a bunch of baron visitors hanging around in my fort? Is my king having some sort of gathering of sorts?

Edit: man, poisonous vapurs is no joke, eh? Had a sworddwarf get caught in a cloud while fighting a forgotten beast, and while he took no hits from the beast, his entire body basically rotted away afterwards.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Dec 17, 2022

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I managed to put a web-slinging forgotten beast in a pillbox but it only seems to want to shoot at dwarves and doesn't care about dogs or cats, I feel like I'm missing something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Can they see dwarfs through glass?