Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I'm partial to fuckwit, at least for now. language changes too quickly for any term for idiot to carry the proper weight without rapidly turning into something with excessive baggage.

It's always going to be a challenge to find a word that adequately conveys just how loving stupid the guy is who is standing directly under the second story window that he's trying to throw a hammer through

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Reactionary effect to McNamara's Morons?

I wouldn't doubt it, it's from about that era. It was meant to be a more "medical" term. Mentally Retarded person, instead of imbecile etc.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I'm partial to fuckwit, at least for now. language changes too quickly for any term for idiot to carry the proper weight without rapidly turning into something with excessive baggage

This is offensive to fuckwits like myself.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

My Spirit Otter posted:

Please explain why fuel depots and kerch bridge arent militarily relevant

I still want herman merman to explain this

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

My Spirit Otter posted:

Sea-dweller ignorant in regards to finer details of terrestrial warfare, infrastructure and logistics

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

My Spirit Otter posted:

I think you misunderstood him: His point is that Kerch and the fuel depots WERE militarily relevant targets near the border and thus fall within his definition of acceptable. What he argues against is Ukraine striking targets that are either far from the border or not militarily relevant, which he thinks will harm Western support badly.

Personally I agree that consistently and deliberately striking non-military targets would probably dry up support for Ukraine, but the idea that striking targets far from the front lines will harm support feels to me going out on rather more of a limb. If nothing else, the Crimean bridge itself is a few hundred kilometers away from the front lines - if that counts as "near the border" that gives Ukraine a whole lot of room to play with for long-distance strikes. And the recent strike on Engels was even further from the front lines and I don't really see that it changed public opinion one whit regarding whether or not it's a good idea to support Ukraine. To be honest at this point I don't know if it'd make a huge difference if Ukraine somehow managed to strike a military target in Vladivostok - it's questionable how much real good it'd do for them, but why really would anyone care by this point? If it's a war, and a valid military target, does it really make a difference?

The exception I'd make to that is if they managed to pull off a strike on Moscow or St. Petersburg but that's more to do with hitting the elite heart of Russia rather than a matter of distance per se. And personally I'd be leery of being OK with such a strike purely because that might set off Putin's "THEY'RE GOING TO DECAPITATE OUR GOVERNMENT, NUKES NOW" paranoia but even then I could see an argument for driving home the consequences of the war to Russia's safe, cozy home front being of value as long as the damage is strictly military.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 17, 2022

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I'm against indiscriminate targeting of civilian sites, but if some expensive dachas started blowing up... well, that's probably okay.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Anywhere russia launches an attack targetting ukraine from is a militarily relevant target even if it were in vladivostok.

Plus its already been stated by supporting nations, albeit some unofficially, that the volume of missile attacks russia is launching on ukrainian infrastructure and civilian housing in contradiction of the geneva convention, allows for deeper forays into russia

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

McNally posted:

Christ, I'm loving sorry I said anything.

I was taking action on a report that I felt had some merit. Someone felt strongly enough about it to make the report, it seemed reasonable on the surface to me, so I said something. Clearly I'm the rear end in a top hat here.

FWIW, I didn’t hit report or quote it and call it out, but the spectrum line rubbed me the wrong way as well.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Russia invaded Ukraine.
End stop.
I give a fuuuuuuck what Ukraine does up to and include counter-invasion.

Tough loving titties. Try not to be so pathetic next time.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

Please explain why fuel depots and kerch bridge arent militarily relevant
I meant them as examples of targets that are.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Just lol at the stress Putin must be feeling, considering how things have gone for former Russian heads of state when poo poo goes wrong.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

Anywhere russia launches an attack targetting ukraine from is a militarily relevant target even if it were in vladivostok.

Plus its already been stated by supporting nations, albeit some unofficially, that the volume of missile attacks russia is launching on ukrainian infrastructure and civilian housing in contradiction of the geneva convention, allows for deeper forays into russia

So I see that Russia invaded Ukraine, starting with an assault on its capital and following with the attempted occupation of the entire rest of the country. The explicit genocidal aims of Russia don’t leave much to question about how much of the Ukrainian nation and people they want to destroy - these people are fighting for their continued existence. It does not track with me that Ukraine is in a position where they have to be choosy about which military targets they select in Russia lest they go too far and cause a fuss. From this perspective, all Russian military targets are valid whether they’re being used to target Ukraine or not.

I think it’s fair to point out that Western aid likely comes with conditions as these countries want to see the war play out in a certain way to protect their own interests. It seems to me that some folks are making a different sort of argument when they bring up Ukraine’s obligation to show restraint, though, as if they have a responsibility to others not to give Russia too hard of a time. I think if the critics’ homes were in this position they wouldn’t think that way.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 17, 2022

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Wrong Theory posted:

It's almost like we train young men to drop fire on people but their commanders won't allow them to write "gently caress" on their airplanes because it's obscene.

"They told me that you had gone totally insane, and that your methods were unsound."

"Are my methods unsound?"

(some general, somewhere, in europe today)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I think it would be a bad idea to do an Ocean’s Eleven caper to capture an ICBM and become a rogue nuclear power. But that’s not really on the table.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

So I see that Russia invaded Ukraine, starting with an assault on its capital and following with the attempted occupation of the entire rest of the country. The explicit genocidal aims of Russia don’t leave much to question about how much of the Ukrainian nation and people they want to destroy - these people are fighting for their continued existence. It does not track with me that Ukraine is in a position where they have to be choosy about which military targets they select in Russia lest they go too far and cause a fuss. From this perspective, all Russian military targets are valid whether they’re being used to target Ukraine or not.

I think it’s fair to point out that Western aid likely comes with conditions as these countries want to see the war play out in a certain way to protect their own interests. It seems to me that some folks are making a different sort of argument when they bring up Ukraine’s obligation to show restraint, though, as if they have a responsibility to others not to give Russia too hard of a time. I think if the critics’ homes were in this position they wouldn’t think that way.

Russia is launching attacks from russia, but civilian sites arent launching attacks so they are not valid targets, is what i was driving at. But ukraine arent striking civilian targets because they arent genocidal maniacs

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I guess the part I’m unsure on is whether industrial targets are fair game like they were in WW2

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

McNally posted:

Clearly I'm the rear end in a top hat here.

Nobody’s attacking you for it?

It was a pleasant exchange afterward about it. Even if it’s not Ukrainian related

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

I guess the part I’m unsure on is whether industrial targets are fair game like they were in WW2

Depends on the industry, but yes, they always were.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Tiny Timbs posted:

Fair game or not, I doubt Ukraine has the capacity to actually do meaningful damage to Russian industry. If nothing else, they can only hit what's within their reach which puts a lot of Russian industry out of range. Otherwise, I dunno if Ukraine's supplies of ammo capable of industrial strikes are large enough to make a worthwhile dent in Russian industrial capacity, and their stocks are probably better used for strikes on logistical centers and the like that can make a more direct impact on the battlefield.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Tomn posted:

Fair game or not, I doubt Ukraine has the capacity to actually do meaningful damage to Russian industry. If nothing else, they can only hit what's within their reach which puts a lot of Russian industry out of range. Otherwise, I dunno if Ukraine's supplies of ammo capable of industrial strikes are large enough to make a worthwhile dent in Russian industrial capacity, and their stocks are probably better used for strikes on logistical centers and the like that can make a more direct impact on the battlefield.

Perun's video last Sunday was about how ineffective strategic bombing is, anyway. People get really good at jury-rigging stuff to make it work.

It's much more efficient to let your enemy make all the stuff they want, and then blow it up when it accumulates anywhere near the front.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
If nobody saw the Janet Yellen 60 Minutes interview, she did a reasonably realistic expression of empathy towards victims of inflation (i told my folks it seems like she remembered what a gigantic patrician piece of poo poo Geithner was and is trying to avoid it).

But the relevant thing she talked about was efforts to cap purchases of Russian oil at $60 a barrel.

https://youtu.be/ZtKy-K1j5Ls

Notice how she never says the word “Germany” as to why we’re still buying it in the first place.

And doesn’t have to, because Norah O’Donnell never pushes on it

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Deteriorata posted:

Perun's video last Sunday was about how ineffective strategic bombing is, anyway. People get really good at jury-rigging stuff to make it work.

It's much more efficient to let your enemy make all the stuff they want, and then blow it up when it accumulates anywhere near the front.

I never understood how to reconcile the ineffectiveness of strategic bombing with the bright promise of nuclear war. Is it simply the efficiency and scale that make it effective when the same "tonnage" of conventional explosives are universally worthless?

I'm still shocked strategic bombing doesn't work, honestly. Really seems like it should do SOMETHING.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
war question

if you're laying down mines as a defender how do you keep track of them

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/georgian_legion/status/1603823425734283265?s=46&t=konYtwd43Yf6QpKWMiv4aA

“Sorry, Elon is busy with content moderation and jet tracking concerns. Yes, really…”

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

GD_American posted:

Nobody’s attacking you for it?

It was a pleasant exchange afterward about it. Even if it’s not Ukrainian related

Woosh.

Come on, we know the guy.

NcNally, you... poor, good person, you.

You good person, you.

I wanna grow up to be him!

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

madeintaipei posted:

Woosh.

Come on, we know the guy.

NcNally, you... poor, good person, you.

You good person, you.

I wanna grow up to be him!

McNally is the greatest mod on SA and the perfect fit for this motley crew

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

war question

It's more about knowing mines are in this certain area, not so much "we geotagged each mine to within a tenth of an inch"

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's been off limits for months if not years. I dunno. It's kind of a weird thing - that post earlier about the language treadmill was interesting. Pejoratives change over time, language does, I guess for me the guiding principle is more don't deliberately be an rear end in a top hat, but I also recognize that I come from a background where all sorts of poo poo gets thrown around so I'm a little less sensitive to whichever words as well.

Bitch as an insult in entirely gender based. Suggesting a man is a bitch means he has undesirable feminine traits, calling a woman a bitch is just loaded and dumb because most of the time some woman being a "bitch" is doing something like telling a man "no thank you".

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

OK?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The more...."responsible"....use of mines, for lack of a better term, is to mark the area they're in clearly and then use mines that degrade after a certain amount of time.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

bird food bathtub posted:

...and then use mines that degrade after a certain amount of time.

Is that an actual thing that exists?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Quackles posted:

Is that an actual thing that exists?

Like OP said, "responsible" users of mines. For instance, one system used by the US during GW1°:

quote:

The mines self-destruct after a preset time which can be set to 4 hours, 15 hours or 15 days. Any that do not will become disabled after 40 days when the batteries discharge fully. The self-destruct time is set just prior to aircraft takeoff using a simple selector switch on the dispenser.

Typically it's either a battery or chemical solution that is only good for so long after emplacement. It's, uh, not totally reliable*. Other parties, like say retreating Russians, are happy to leave behind booby trapped kids toys.

*The US committed to using cluster munitions with a dud rate under...1%(?), which is why we've been decommissioning a whole bunch of MLRS rockets. I believe, but am not certain, we've made a similar commitment in regards to landmines.

°https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GATOR_mine_system

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

Arrath posted:

It's more about knowing mines are in this certain area, not so much "we geotagged each mine to within a tenth of an inch"

Optimally, time and enemy permitting, you'd map them as much as you can. The gold standard in FDF "back in my days" was to build a chain of "next one is 7.8meters in compass direction 252 from this one", with the first one being tied to some unambiguous reference or GPS. And then mark the side of the obstacle facing friendlies. Naturally, that all goes away as soon as you start building poo poo under fire or in a hurry.

ETA: this for AT mines

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

war question

You're supposed to mark them using some kind of visual indicator. Also you're supposed to update all obstacle belts on maps.

It's actually not a huge deal if the enemy is aware of where your obstacles are, because they're intended to slow down or guide an enemy into a kill zone, not necessarily do damage themselves.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

highme posted:

Bitch as an insult in entirely gender based. Suggesting a man is a bitch means he has undesirable feminine traits, calling a woman a bitch is just loaded and dumb because most of the time some woman being a "bitch" is doing something like telling a man "no thank you".

This is absolute nonsense. Men can be bitches and it is in no way predicated on them having "undesirable feminine traits".

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Grip it and rip it posted:

This is absolute nonsense. Men can be bitches and it is in no way predicated on them having "undesirable feminine traits".

Please explain.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The meaning seems to be slowly shifting towards whiney and pusillanimous. I don't think either of those are inherently feminine traits.

Even the slightly more dated meaning signified a woman who was assertive, mean, and a bit vindictive. Again, not inherently feminine traits.

But if we wanna keep going backwards in time, then yes, calling someone a fertile female dog is inherently feminine, I guess. If we're gonna play that game, though, then we should apply the same logic to pussy, which is derived from pusillanimous, and has nothing to do with the slang term for a woman's vagina.

psydude fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Dec 17, 2022

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

People saying Ukraine shouldn't attack targets within Russias borders after what we have all witnessed so far in this war is some bizarre mental gymnastics or maligned ignorance.

The slaughter and genocide of civilians so far is warrant enough for the Ukranians to pull some Shamil Basayev poo poo

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
looked up this guy after he was supposedly killed

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1601474798332567552?s=20&t=rePcY1yI-BOBZMmV6u80Vw

quite the whirlwind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

war question

These days you can just use a high end GPS device. Before that, you had to use a map and draw the mine locations in by hand.

Most of the time, you don't bother because you don't care if children, livestock, and other innocents get blown to pieces or permanently maimed.