Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
finished sonic frontiers. it sucked. two thumbs up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it whips rear end and i hope sonic can count on everyone's support on the goty thread

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

On PC the mod manager has a built-in cheat for removing the frame limiter. Feels great.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Finished Prime. Mildly spoilery thoughts on it and the franchise as a whole:

OK so something I noticed while watching Prime is that they made the *very* smart move of having most of the series take place in a set of pocket dimensions with alternative versions of the main cast. It's an incredibly good decision because it allows the writers to actually do interesting things that they otherwise couldn't. It made me realize (again) just how much of a burden the existing continuity/status quo is to the franchise.

To put it bluntly, the overarching continuity adds little value, but creates a TON of restrictions a writer needs to work around when creating a game or show. There's no MCU style event being built to, yet writers are still constantly forced to work around narrative decisions made for games developed for the Dreamcast. For example, in Prime I'm really liking sad edgy boy TailsNine as this sort of morally grey wildcard who may or may not just piss off and join the Chaos Council if Sonic disappoints him enough. It's a way more interesting take on the character than the main universe version who's just sort of permanently on good terms with Sonic because their character development happened in the 90s. You know going into every game that they'll never change Tails's character that much, which means he'll never make an interesting decision or surprise you. It's boring.

And this franchise has a TON of baggage like this that's holding it back too. Sorry but Rouge the Bat is a bad character and her being around hasn't made sense since she stopped being a double agent for the president of the United States (wtf even is this franchise jfc...). I know some of you love Orbot and Cubot but God drat do I find them painfully unfunny and largely pointless beyond giving Eggman somebody to exposition dump to. And then there's Amy, who I could spend several pages ripping into for constantly being the worst part of any game she's in. There's also gameplay elements (rings laying around that aren't explained or justified) and environmental design decisions (random loops in the middle of a field) that don't make sense in a non-video game context but none the less need to be worked into things like the comics or show to keep the franchise feeling consistent. If things didn't have to take place in the same continuity these elements could be dropped or reworked to better serve a new story or medium. But because Sega insists on making every game be in the same universe we're doomed forever to not only see Charmy The God drat Bee five hundred more times but for it to be the exact same version of the character without any changes or updates. Which is... frustrating. Because as Prime is demonstrating there's definitely a lot of potential in the franchise when the people in charge aren't tied to using the same exact bullshit forever.

I guess what I'm saying is PLEASE Sega, take a page from the Zelda franchise and just let each game/show/etc be it's own weird unique story. I know you got burned with the whole Archie comics thing but the creative stagnation is holding you back so, so much.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 17, 2022

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Weird that I agree wholeheartedly with your first sentence and vehemently disagree with every one thereafter

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Anyone who hates Amy should be permabanned immediately

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I agree that continuity is kinda lame and unncecessary for a series like Sonic but also I really doubt the games have ever been constrained by need to maintain a true canon

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Anyone who hates Amy should be permabanned immediately

been hearing more and more people say this

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

readingatwork posted:

Sorry but Rouge the Bat is a bad character

And then there's Amy, who I could spend several pages ripping into for constantly being the worst part of any game she's in.

we're doomed forever to not only see Charmy The God drat Bee five hundred more times

gently caress you

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Augus posted:

gently caress you

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

amy ftw

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

PunishedEnzoMatrix
Jul 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
The greatest Sonic Crime of the last twenty years is that they didn't make Amy playable in Mania or Origins.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Amy has a big hammer, therefore she is cool

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
"Continuity is a curse" is a bizarre sentiment to have about this series in particular given how little they've cared about it for the last 20 years.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Seriously, that post contained so much wrong with it I don't know where to begin. "Continuity is a curse" is exactly what Sega believed from 2010 until the release of Frontiers and it didn't make the games stories any better, it just meant at their best they were forgettable or barely had a plot (Colors, Generations) and at their worst produced wildly inconsistent and terrible plots for the games that is as bad as Shadow and 06, just in a different way (Lost World, Forces).

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"Continuity is a curse" you say after the most recent and fairly well-received Sonic game was loaded with continuity nods.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

readingatwork posted:

Finished Prime. Mildly spoilery thoughts on it and the franchise as a whole:

I'm so glad you don't work at Sega cuz holy gently caress would I hate it if they did what you suggest here.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

how can amy be the worst part of every game shes in shes been in like 2 games in any sort of prominent way

oh no! amy was in sa2 for five minutes! shes ruined it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

list of amy appearances:

sonic cd: is a sprite thats onscreen for 2 seconds
sonic adventure: is kind of boring but is better than big
sa2: is in three cutscenes
sonic heroes: plays the exact same as every other character and her route has less annoying gimmicks than team chaotix's
shadow: is she even in this one
sonic 06: is in like 2 cutscenes
rush: hangs out with blaze once?
boom: its boom
forces: i think she has a line
frontier: is pretty normal

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Ooh I hate that female hedgehog!!!

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Show some god drat respect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hGNAsTz0uU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the subdued voice acting in frontiers was a bit weird but Amy benefited the most from it I thought

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Amy *is* kind of the worst speed character in Heroes but it's an extremely minor thing. It just comes down to if you tap B instead of holding it for Rocket Accel, she stops to swing her hammer. Espio does the same kind of thing, but he throws a shuriken, and he has the bonus of a unique invisibility power on his tornado attack. Sonic and Shadow do a slide kick that lets you keep your momentum going instead. As far as story she's definitely at her worst in Heroes too. FORCING Sonic to marry her? hosed up motivation imho.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Dabir posted:

Amy *is* kind of the worst speed character in Heroes but it's an extremely minor thing. It just comes down to if you tap B instead of holding it for Rocket Accel, she stops to swing her hammer. Espio does the same kind of thing, but he throws a shuriken, and he has the bonus of a unique invisibility power on his tornado attack. Sonic and Shadow do a slide kick that lets you keep your momentum going instead. As far as story she's definitely at her worst in Heroes too. FORCING Sonic to marry her? hosed up motivation imho.

Actually I'm going to agree with the last bit here, the Heroes/Battle/Sonic X era was kind of the nadir of her depiction in my personal opinion. She's supposed to consistently be the one member the main cast who's kind and forgiving to anyone in any given circumstance (hello Adventure 1 and 2, convincing Gamma to turn against Robotnik, having Sonic and Gamma call off their battle, jogging Shadow's memory into making him save the world), but that was the time where they had her lashing out at and clobbering anyone who questioned the TWU WUV between her and Sonic.

Though, I will admit that her creating a tulpa of Sonic during Battle's storyline was pretty hilarious.

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 17, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah that era had a lot of lame amy jokes, i dont disagree that she could be pretty annoying in that period, but also she wasnt really around that much

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Sonic Battle was sick I should play that again.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

No you shouldn't

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
sonic battle has some cool ideas but yeah 90% of the fights are just too long

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Endorph posted:

list of amy appearances:

sonic cd: is a sprite thats onscreen for 2 seconds
sonic adventure: is kind of boring but is better than big
sa2: is in three cutscenes
sonic heroes: plays the exact same as every other character and her route has less annoying gimmicks than team chaotix's
shadow: is she even in this one
sonic 06: is in like 2 cutscenes
rush: hangs out with blaze once?
boom: its boom
forces: i think she has a line
frontier: is pretty normal

she is a level partner in shadow! and she's playable in 06 where they gave her espio's invisibility for some reason

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Lmao, ok not gonna lie I was NOT expecting that reaction to me not liking Amy. Y'all are weird but I'm happy you're having fun I guess. To be clear though I'm just saying that if they did the Zelda thing they could rework her character a bit to have a bit more going on personality-wise. I'm not opposed to her existence in general.

And yeah I think I misremembered how often she' s actually used. My bad.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I did find it weird that they decided to bring up rings as not just a thing in Prime, but as their video game function. In other media they are either ignored or serve another purpose (power boost in the old 90s cartoon, portals in the movies, etc.), but in Prime they are used just as in the video game even though it only comes up as a thing in one battle, and it wasn’t like “Oh crap I’m outta rings” to raise tension, Sonic just loses some when getting hit. And Sonic is a goddamn punching bag in this show, so it makes it even stranger that the rings stop being a thing he needs.

Also Prime’s writers really wanted to make Rose badass in this show. Want a game where I play as Rusty Rose.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

but they've already reworked the characters several times without doing a Zelda thing. Game mechanics being present in the tv show has nothing to do with that either.
It would be a terrible idea to suddenly pivot to being an anthology series 31 years into the franchise history

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 17, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean frontier already took amy in a decent direction imo, you dont need to radically alter the universe every game to just shift characterization. tails and amy got good material in that game that built off their previous stuff.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

flavor.flv posted:

No you shouldn't

Got I remember getting stuck on the Knuckles fight in chapter one for the longest time because I had no points to equip good moves

Nowadays I use the Phi Farm at Tails' House to rack up an easy 5 per; you can do the first half of the fight, get the points, then lose the second fight, which kicks you back to the first fight, and rinse, wash, repeat until you can equip everything you need

Also why is the cap 500 when you need almost 700 to equip all the Ultimate moves, which are next to useless because the AI auto-blocks the basic attack string since they count as special moves, so the only useful one is the Heavy attack :argh:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not entirely sure why Knuckles is played by two different people in Prime but I kind of like the second guy more than the main one to be honest

As for Amy, I seem to remember her Boom counterpart being alright for the most part as well and they seem to have downplayed her crush on Sonic as of late (I don’t think Prime mentions it at all for that matter)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 17, 2022

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

readingatwork posted:

Lmao, ok not gonna lie I was NOT expecting that reaction to me not liking Amy. Y'all are weird but I'm happy you're having fun I guess. To be clear though I'm just saying that if they did the Zelda thing they could rework her character a bit to have a bit more going on personality-wise. I'm not opposed to her existence in general.

And yeah I think I misremembered how often she' s actually used. My bad.

My Amy opinions are deeply and irreversibly colored by the comics, where she's A) the best and B) see A

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Larryb posted:

Not entirely sure why Knuckles is played by two different people in Prime but I kind of like the second guy more than the main one to be honest

I think they swapped him in at the last minute to sound more like Idris Elba, but they only bothered with the prime version because you can handwave the other ones away

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

also amy was the best part of Sonic Advance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

readingatwork posted:

Lmao, ok not gonna lie I was NOT expecting that reaction to me not liking Amy. Y'all are weird

I don't think so Tim