Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It is truly absurd the sheer number of thieves who, after robbing/murdering/raping passersby, write a little note that’s essentially “Man it’s so great to rob/murder/rape people! Surely no comeuppance will immediately happen to us! What’s that sound? Drowners? MORE LIKE THE SOUND OF ALL THAT GOLD IN OUR POCKETS, BAY-BEE”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

and yet, dipshits post crime on their tik-sta-books all the time :D

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
Who is the mad man who runs around the kingdom leaving broken rakes in every barrel and chest ?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

admataY posted:

Who is the mad man who runs around the kingdom leaving broken rakes in every barrel and chest ?

Probably some kind of a demented Yule Lad.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

NieR Occomata posted:

It is truly absurd the sheer number of thieves who, after robbing/murdering/raping passersby, write a little note that’s essentially “Man it’s so great to rob/murder/rape people! Surely no comeuppance will immediately happen to us! What’s that sound? Drowners? MORE LIKE THE SOUND OF ALL THAT GOLD IN OUR POCKETS, BAY-BEE”

Apparently literacy rates are quite high in this world, and with the advent of the printing press, everybody is on the bandwagon to write their momoirs and get them published

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

NieR Occomata posted:

I am currently having my guts ripped out by ghouls, so I feel that I should write down where I left my treasure. It all started forty years ago on the day of my birth when

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I wish there was a hairworks option for "beasts only". Don't care much about Geralt's floppy ponytail, but some of the monsters look cool with prettier fur/plumage.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Is anyone having issues with the new patch making things way more unstable? I’ve already had three hard crashes this play through. Also a lot of textures glitching out.

Joakim Brecht
Aug 20, 2013
Could someone advice me on how to beat the painting wraiths in the scenes from a marriage quest? My problem is that Geralt is always automatically centered on to the wraith, meaning that I can't hit and break the paintings as Geralt just tries to swing away from the wall, at the wraith.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
FYI for anybody like me who was hoping the Ghost Mode mod would get updated for the next gen version: The author's actively working on the update and has dropped links to their WIP build and Discord: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/992/?tab=posts

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

admataY posted:

Maybe people get drunk and think they’re garbage cans

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Does raytracing in the next-gen witcher patch require the DX12 (crappy wrapper) pathway, or can it be run with the DX11 pathway?

I'm assuming it requires DX12, right?

Has anyone benchmarked different CPU generations' framerate impact for the new raytracing?

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

they really should have improved attack feedback, I can't even tell if I'm hitting something if not for their hp going down

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

pmchem posted:

Does raytracing in the next-gen witcher patch require the DX12 (crappy wrapper) pathway, or can it be run with the DX11 pathway?

I'm assuming it requires DX12, right?

Has anyone benchmarked different CPU generations' framerate impact for the new raytracing?

DXR is a feature of DX12. You will trace no rays without it.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Joakim Brecht posted:

Could someone advice me on how to beat the painting wraiths in the scenes from a marriage quest? My problem is that Geralt is always automatically centered on to the wraith, meaning that I can't hit and break the paintings as Geralt just tries to swing away from the wall, at the wraith.

Do you have auto-lock turned on?

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

mistermojo posted:

they really should have improved attack feedback, I can't even tell if I'm hitting something if not for their hp going down

Or at least better sounds. The hits sound like they're coming feom as far away from the swords as the camera is, which makes sense but feels off.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

WoodrowSkillson posted:

ray tracing looks great on ps5 except for a huge amount of flicker at long draw distances, guess it was silly to think something that obvious would be tested by modern cdpr, its immediately noticiable in the very first vista in the tutorial at kaer morhen.

Hahaha I legitimately started laughing when I saw the white mountains start flickering.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Small PSA for people having performance and raytracing issues, especially crashed when it's turned on. Reverting the NVidia driver to the last one 527.37 and turning ALL raytracing options on made the crashing stop and increased my fps from 30 to 45 FPS. Don't ask me why, could be anecdotal, but I got the tip from reddit and it seems to work for a few people.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

admataY posted:

Misunderstood fellow. He's really trying to finish his lifelong quest (A Brand New Rake For Everyone!!! <press Rstick to follow>) but these containers are so loving small...

Joakim Brecht
Aug 20, 2013

10 Beers posted:

Do you have auto-lock turned on?
Nah, I've turned all that off, yet Geralt is always in the combat stance, always facing the wraith and thus slashing away from the wall toward the wraith. :confused:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
They say that if you break your rake and stow it in a chest or barrel in your home, a Witcher will come to take it in the night and you will be lucky for a year,.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Joakim Brecht posted:

Nah, I've turned all that off, yet Geralt is always in the combat stance, always facing the wraith and thus slashing away from the wall toward the wraith. :confused:

I think you should be able to run into the wall while attacking, press & hold that direction and press attack, something like that

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Yeah sprint in the direction of the painting and cast igni.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Joakim Brecht posted:

I vaguely remember doing that part by manually aiming at the paintings with the crossbow, but I might be wrong. Worth a try I think.

Joakim Brecht
Aug 20, 2013
The crossbow did the trick! Thanks everyone.

e: this is one screwed up game.

Joakim Brecht fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 18, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They removed the "Top notch swords!" line from the Novigrad armourer and that is unacceptable. A mod is needed to restore his lines. Dude just wants to compliment Geralt's tools.
https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/7251

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I 100% slept on not just this game but the entire franchise until last month, where I was jonesing for some fantasy action RPG combat. A friend had bought me Wild Hunt as a gift years ago so I decided to finally fire it up. I never had anything against the Witcher series exactly, it just never seemed to appeal to me. Well, I just beat Wild Hunt and....man, I have never wanted a game to not end until now. loving hell what an adventure. The characters, the world, running around hunting monsters, the goofy jank, I absolutely loved all 70 hours of it. Geralt is the best video game dad.

Started reading The Last Wish and watching a playthrough of W1 (can't get it to work properly :cry: ). I go to Rhode Island Comic Con every year and for 2023 I'm going as a witcher of the Cat School. :allears:

Also the Netflix witcher armor looks legitimately good in game.

Don't know if this got posted but

https://twitter.com/BenKearns6/status/1603098569359196161

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 18, 2022

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

Haha brilliant. Thanks for that.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
JFC this was my build from 2-3 years ago when I beat the game on an easier difficulty. This is an absolutely terrible build wtf was I thinking. I didn't even use anything

Sword and story baby, and I loved every minute of it. Trying death march on PS5 now lol

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I 100% slept on not just this game but the entire franchise until last month, where I was jonesing for some fantasy action RPG combat. A friend had bought me Wild Hunt as a gift years ago so I decided to finally fire it up. I never had anything against the Witcher series exactly, it just never seemed to appeal to me. Well, I just beat Wild Hunt and....man, I have never wanted a game to not end until now. loving hell what an adventure. The characters, the world, running around hunting monsters, the goofy jank, I absolutely loved all 70 hours of it. Geralt is the best video game dad.

Started reading The Last Wish and watching a playthrough of W1 (can't get it to work properly :cry: ). I go to Rhode Island Comic Con every year and for 2023 I'm going as a witcher of the Cat School. :allears:

Don't know if this got posted but

https://twitter.com/BenKearns6/status/1603098569359196161

did you play the expansions? they're even better than the base game.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I was so happy for you up until this point.
I am penning a noticeboard contract about you as we speak.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i have decided i am going to a fail geralt run that is diametrically opposed to my good cat school dps geralt run, so i'm going bear school, mean to ciri, obsessed with gwent, and boning triss

to that end, is alchemy or signs better for tanking?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Alchemy synergizes well with the Quen signs alternate healing bubble shield.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Happy to know that the game still unequips gear you use the Wolven Hour potion to equip during cutscenes.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Kobal2 posted:

I was so happy for you up until this point.
I am penning a noticeboard contract about you as we speak.

PLOUGH YERSELF WITCH FUCKER! :v:

Fritz the Horse posted:

did you play the expansions? they're even better than the base game.

Nope, that's next up for me. Gonna give it a rest for a week or so and play some other stuff on my backlog, return fresh for 2023. Can't fucken wait.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
okay so im playing the update without ray tracing on - is anyone else noticing weird blots of primary colour surrounding light sources? they kind of look like christmas lights.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

PLOUGH YERSELF WITCH FUCKER! :v:

Nope, that's next up for me. Gonna give it a rest for a week or so and play some other stuff on my backlog, return fresh for 2023. Can't fucken wait.

you're in for a treat! def do them in release order.

Hearts of Stone is a self-contained story that is very well done and has some really good set pieces. The wedding is maybe my favorite part of the game. You'll see what I mean. HoS is like 15-20 hours gameplay and it's basically a retelling of Faust / Pan Twardowski.

Blood and Wine is like 25-30+ hours and it's a love letter to the entire game series and books, full of self-references. Toussaint is just gorgeous too.

They're like an entire game worth of content so you've got lots more Witcher ahead of you.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

RandolphCarter posted:

Happy to know that the game still unequips gear you use the Wolven Hour potion to equip during cutscenes.

Sorry Geralt, no haircuts until you hit level 7 for real

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

RandolphCarter posted:

I don't think I've ever actually used Wolven Hour, had to look it up - I didn't realize that it was a one-time use only, and cannot be replenished!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i have decided i am going to a fail geralt run that is diametrically opposed to my good cat school dps geralt run, so i'm going bear school, mean to ciri, obsessed with gwent, and boning triss

to that end, is alchemy or signs better for tanking?

Fail Geralt would ignore Gwent, the game of the people. :colbert: