Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I came home today to find that my wife got me the Wera advent calendar. Awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

AFewBricksShy posted:

I came home today to find that my wife got me the Wera advent calendar. Awesome!

I took a couple boxes out to the cardboard dumpster at my building today, and it seems that someone here got one.
But based on the fact that its in the dumpster already, I can only speculate that they were all like "gently caress this poo poo" and just opened everything at once.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

wesleywillis posted:

I took a couple boxes out to the cardboard dumpster at my building today, and it seems that someone here got one.
But based on the fact that its in the dumpster already, I can only speculate that they were all like "gently caress this poo poo" and just opened everything at once.

If there was 2 boxes, yes. But it comes in an outer sleeve that looks the same as the inside box.

zbn
May 11, 2009
I want to do some DIY jobs which will variously involve cutting: 2x4s, plywood/osb sheets for cabinets/shelves/bookcases/cladding/flooring, trim for face frames/skirting boards/crown molding. Currently I just have a jigsaw which I don't think will be up to the task, and I don't have a lot of workspace so was thinking that a tracksaw plus mitre saw would be my best option. A benchtop/contractor table saw would be another possibility, any suggestions/recommendations?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

zbn posted:

I want to do some DIY jobs which will variously involve cutting: 2x4s, plywood/osb sheets for cabinets/shelves/bookcases/cladding/flooring, trim for face frames/skirting boards/crown molding. Currently I just have a jigsaw which I don't think will be up to the task, and I don't have a lot of workspace so was thinking that a tracksaw plus mitre saw would be my best option. A benchtop/contractor table saw would be another possibility, any suggestions/recommendations?

Track saw/miter is a powerful combo. There is little in the diy realm you can't deal with using those tools.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

zbn posted:

i'd get the corded makita tracksaw and a refurbished/used 12" non-sliding mitre saw, the dewalt is a good one but any major brand will do. Table saw is better for joinery and small rips of like 1/2" thickness or less (less expensive too) but otherwise youre not gonna be missing out if you opt for a track saw instead. Pros of track saw: much smaller, better dust collection, more versatility for DIY stuff

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

My stick vacuum just died - are the Ryobi ones still rear end or have they gotten markedly better?

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Johnny Truant posted:

My stick vacuum just died - are the Ryobi ones still rear end or have they gotten markedly better?

Looks like the brushless pet vac version gets better reviews but it's $200 so I don't know how that rates against the cost of other stick vacuums.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
At the very least, the new ones are cyclonic, which should solve the problem the previous generation had where the filter clogs up in .2 seconds.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

I have the $179 one and It's pretty decent. ergonomics of the handle is bullshit.. but I'm chugging through kuz I got 90 batteries unlike the shark where I have just 1 and it was no longer holding a charge.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Nice, thanks for the input! I have a buncha one+ batteries and will surely be getting more, but I might've steered away from the brushless without thread input.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

Nice, thanks for the input! I have a buncha one+ batteries and will surely be getting more, but I might've steered away from the brushless without thread input.

I'm lazy but probably a 1.5a battery in it would be better for most use.. I've had mine several weeks and while I don't own pets so I vacuum not a lot.. I'm just about through my first 4ah battery on it.

edit: update. put smaller battery in beater bar seemed to run a little slower with the 1.5a but it still ran fine.. ergonomics are still poo poo. The handle is like an afterthought.. still will continue to use.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 6, 2022

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

tater_salad posted:

I'm lazy but probably a 1.5a battery in it would be better for most use.. I've had mine several weeks and while I don't own pets so I vaccum not a lot.. I'm just about thoruhg my first 4ah battery on it.

I wonder how much of a difference the battery capacity makes with the vacuum power. I know that apparently the larger packs do give more oomph to power tools when it comes to driving screws and such.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

made and update above

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I've got a home with a medium driveway and small walkway. I'd love to avoid having a gas powered blower, are there electric models that could get the job done? I've got plenty of exterior outlets and could get a nice long cold-weather outside extension cord.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tom Tucker posted:

I've got a home with a medium driveway and small walkway. I'd love to avoid having a gas powered blower, are there electric models that could get the job done? I've got plenty of exterior outlets and could get a nice long cold-weather outside extension cord.

What job are you looking to get done? 2+ feet in northern Canada or a dusting in Maryland?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Motronic posted:

What job are you looking to get done? 2+ feet in northern Canada or a dusting in Maryland?

Somewhere in between - Rhode Island. We may get a few 1+ foot blizzards, but I can also if needed get out and clear it out as it's happening as I suppose. Drifts and getting plowed in could be a problem. Should I just go for an effective gas-powered system?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tom Tucker posted:

Somewhere in between - Rhode Island. We may get a few 1+ foot blizzards, but I can also if needed get out and clear it out as it's happening as I suppose. Drifts and getting plowed in could be a problem. Should I just go for an effective gas-powered system?

Then you're going to pretty much need a two stage.

Ego makes one that's actually battery, and it sounds like you may have a small enough area for that to work for you with just the standard two batteries. https://egopowerplus.com/two-stage-snow-blower-snt2400/

Might be a good option (but exceptionally expensive for what it is). Only issue is that I've been hearing more and more that Ego have been having problems with replacement/warranty batteries.

Looks like there are a few others who make a 2 stage battery but I'm not seeing any electric ones.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

tater_salad posted:

I'm lazy but probably a 1.5a battery in it would be better for most use.. I've had mine several weeks and while I don't own pets so I vacuum not a lot.. I'm just about through my first 4ah battery on it.

edit: update. put smaller battery in beater bar seemed to run a little slower with the 1.5a but it still ran fine.. ergonomics are still poo poo. The handle is like an afterthought.. still will continue to use.

I'm sure using the 4Ah battery on the end of a stick vac isn't much fun but you're gonna kill a lot of 1.5Ah batteries running them flat in a few minutes like that.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Tom Tucker posted:

I'm in RI also.

I bought just this season the little electric shovel attachment for the Ryobi tools. I haven't gotten to use it yet but videos of it in similar snow were encouraging. Between it and an electric leaf blower (which worked great for helping post-shoveling or in very dry powder) it seems like it'll easily handle the ~150ft of driveway and a few walkways around the house / back deck.

Next big snow we get I'll give a trip report. Didn't seem like getting a blower was worth it for our use case given that in 4 years here I have only shoveled out about 8-9 times and the total are we needed to clear.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've been using a little 40v GreenWorks single-stage snow blower here in Minnesota for 5 winters now (this will be the sixth winter) and I'm not all that sure two-stage is so absolutely necessary. My little 40v isn't quite cutting it, and I'd started eyeing up the electric two-stage options (which have greatly expanded in just a couple of years). But last week I needed to clear my mom's driveway and I used her 80v single-stage blower, and now I'm thinking my problem is just one of voltage than stages. Hers eats through snow much more than mine does, and tosses it much farther. I'm going to try and get more opportunities to try it out this winter, especially hoping for some heavier wet snow to see how it performs, but there's a good chance I buy myself a GreenWorks 80v thrower for the 2023-2024 winter.

After 5 years with my current blower, I've learned quite a bit about what I'd be looking for in a new one. A big one is if the scraper is replaceable, because as I've seen over the years that's a consumable part. And if it's not replaceable, you "replace" it by getting a new machine. Mine is just wearing away from the bottom up because of the friction of pushing it along the ground.

I'm not sure how well even an 80v single-stage will do against the curb the plow leaves at your driveway, but even with my 40V I've been able to muddle through with very little manual shoveling. Of course I am hedging my bets a little bit with the 80v, GreenWorks launched an 80v two-stage in Canada this year, so if I really decide the single-stage isn't cutting it, I'll probably be able to upgrade to a two-stage in a few years and keep my batteries.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Received my Ryobi brushless stick vac a day early, charged the high performance battery for like an hour to ~75% then vacuumed about 2/3 of my house, I'm pretty happy with it!

Brushless I think was the way to go, this fucker hums up a storm but it can suuuuuuuck :awesomelon:

Whoever said the handle was garbage was right though, yeesh.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

Received my Ryobi brushless stick vac a day early, charged the high performance battery for like an hour to ~75% then vacuumed about 2/3 of my house, I'm pretty happy with it!

Brushless I think was the way to go, this fucker hums up a storm but it can suuuuuuuck :awesomelon:

Whoever said the handle was garbage was right though, yeesh.

I dont think they could have made the handle any worse if they tried.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just for posterity's sake:

A ryobi hammer drill with a 35mm spade bit will absolutely annihilate] ice.

aioli is just mayo
Aug 14, 2003

He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced by necessity, neither desiring it nor transgressing its limit, there is no sin upon him. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful
I need a drill press. I’ll be occasionally drilling steel and aluminum, but the main purpose is to run a Forstner bit to create display fixtures for my wife’s shop.

I have a nice Fisch forstner bit coming in the mail, but haven’t quite decided on a press. The local market is extremely high for used presses, so I’m stuck buying new.

I was looking at this

https://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-16-speed-bench-drill-press-38142.html

As that’s about my price range, and that’s by far the slowest press (slow good) I’ve found on the market. Does anyone have alternate suggestions? The WEN model that seems popular is smaller, has a weaker motor, and bottoms out at 540 rpm.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
This is a good drill press.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/PORTER-CABLE-8-Amp-12-Speed-Floor-Drill-Press/1000132463

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I have the P.C. bench model- no complaints.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Know guys who've been running the old PC drill presses for years with no complaints.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I found a cheap "quick" and dirty way to reuse my halogen work lights, took about a half hour to tear one apart and use the guts from one of those $10 screw in garage lights to switch it to LED. Uses about 12x less power and puts out almost no heat, I might try stuffing one more light into this one. Motivated to try it finally after the 4pm sunsets started and I burnt up the last halogen bulb I had handy.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
$35 score at Runnings today.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Wow. Bit envy is real. Are those metric Allen bits in there?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I've got this one. Zero complaints.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

wandler20 posted:

$35 score at Runnings today.

Majestic

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Christmas at the MILs, time to cut some poo poo :ese:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

nitsuga posted:

Wow. Bit envy is real. Are those metric Allen bits in there?

No, I don't believe so.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Are electric log splitters any good? I need a log splitter up in the country and it would get very little maintenance and get used once a year, so I was hoping to avoid the frustration of a gas engine that won't start because it doesn't get used much. It's in the boonies so I don't know that renting one is a great option.

E: I do have a 220v 50A outlet there if that matters.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Are electric log splitters any good? I need a log splitter up in the country and it would get very little maintenance and get used once a year, so I was hoping to avoid the frustration of a gas engine that won't start because it doesn't get used much. It's in the boonies so I don't know that renting one is a great option.

E: I do have a 220v 50A outlet there if that matters.

I know quite a few old dudes who sit around and drink beer while using their Canadian Tire electric log splitters. They're not fast but they'll turn big logs into smaller logs with little effort on your part.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Are they small like this: https://www.harborfreight.com/5-ton-12-amp-electric-log-splitter-63366.html

or big like this:
https://www.woodsplitterdirect.com/products/swisher-22-ton-electric-log-splitter-eco-split

I'd be splitting some fairly gnarly stuff like live oak and pecan that doesn't split particularly easily for the most part, but also red/white oak and beech that are easy to split.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Are they small like this: https://www.harborfreight.com/5-ton-12-amp-electric-log-splitter-63366.html

or big like this:
https://www.woodsplitterdirect.com/products/swisher-22-ton-electric-log-splitter-eco-split

I'd be splitting some fairly gnarly stuff like live oak and pecan that doesn't split particularly easily for the most part, but also red/white oak and beech that are easy to split.

First one. They mostly do birch/pine/spruce/poplar/aspen type of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

or big like this:

That 22 ton is like the bog standard chinese one that everyone including me has except the put an electric motor on it instead of gas. Works great. Providing the electric motor spins enough to make the hydraulics chooch (and I've no doubt it will) that should work just fine.