Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Tesla's stock drop had me curious how it compares to other car companies.

How the hell is it worth so much more than Ford and General Motors? It's more than both of them put together!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

farrrrtttttttt

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

E the Shaggy posted:

How the hell is it worth so much more than Ford and General Motors? It's more than both of them put together!

Can Ford and General Motors vehicles make fart noises at the touch of a virtual button?

I thought not.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

E the Shaggy posted:

Apparently people were previously investing in it like it's a tech company, not a car company. The idea being that electric vehicles were the inevitable future and Tesla was on the bleeding edge of that market so EVENTUALLY Tesla would dominate the market. In theory.

Now people are paying more attention and it's clear that Tesla is a car company that doesn't produce that many cars and the ones it does produce are super poo poo and the CEO is a lunatic who can't handle being divorced.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Under no circumstances do you gotta 'be a little easier on him'

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

As someone who (likely has) has

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
My brother has Aspergers Syndrome and he's not a complete and utter loving entitled douchebag. This person can gently caress right off. A neurological condition doesn't make you an arsehole. It may affect how you express being one, but the fact that you're an arsehole is entirely on you.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

E the Shaggy posted:

Let me tell you about this amazing company called GameStop

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

CuwiKhons posted:

Apparently people were previously investing in it like it's a tech company, not a car company. The idea being that electric vehicles were the inevitable future and Tesla was on the bleeding edge of that market so EVENTUALLY Tesla would dominate the market. In theory.

Now it's becoming very apparent that Tesla is a car company that doesn't produce that many cars and the ones it does produce are super poo poo and the CEO is a lunatic who can't handle being divorced.

The selling point for investors was also the licensing from new tech. Truthfully, their electric motors and charging stations were very impressive new tech. There is speculation that the longer term ace card was the camera driven self-drive tech they could license to every other company.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

E the Shaggy posted:

The same reason bitcoin was worth so much money

The government printed infinite money and it all went to feed bubbles of meme stocks and novelty fun bucks. Only losers believe in fundamentals, the future is all about sweet get rich schemes, baby!

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
:lol: Musk wasn't banning a bunch of noteworthy liberal users as a ploy so he can unban them alongside with more nazis and spin this as "free speech for all."

Nope. He was just being a manchild throwing a hissy fit. There was nothing else to it. :cripes:

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

CuwiKhons posted:

Now people are paying more attention and it's clear that Tesla is a car company that doesn't produce that many cars and the ones it does produce are super poo poo and the CEO is a lunatic who can't handle being divorced.

How Musk thought he was going to maintain a relationship with Grimes is hilarious when a.) He's such a loving loser that he said "I'm the Alpha in this relationship" on the dance floor of his wedding with his ex-wife and b.) Grimes seems like she's in a never-ending mushroom trip.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

E the Shaggy posted:

Their battery business is a big reason for it.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Doesn't this doofus understand that Musk is literally trying to prevent the downfall of civilisation itself? Can't drive your fancy car through the post-apocalyptic wasteland caused by the Woke Mind Virus, can you?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Sophy Wackles posted:

Their battery business is a big reason for it.
I would guess almost guaranteed free revenue from selling carbon credits is a factor, too.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

I went to his profile because I was curious what he looks like.

I'M NOT MAKING FUN OR SAYING ANYTHING NEGATIVE. I'm just... posting.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So with this whole "Twitter Blue users blocking an account will reduce that person's visibility" the only real solution is to just immediately and preemptively block any Blue checkmarks you see. Right?

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

CuwiKhons posted:

This is it. Netflix opened the door to this pseudo-tech strategy near the beginning of the bull run.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

E the Shaggy posted:

you live by the boer, you die by the boer

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Catastrophe posted:

:pwn:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Pook Good Mook posted:

The selling point for investors was also the licensing from new tech. Truthfully, their electric motors and charging stations were very impressive new tech. There is speculation that the longer term ace card was the camera driven self-drive tech they could license to every other company.

Electric cars are pretty much the Holy Grail, the engineering advantages over conventional internal combustion engines are enormous and potentially lucrative. My wife and I were talking about it last night and she was going through a bunch of Tesla features that she had always chalked up to some genius engineering that are really just kind of built in advantages to going all-electric. The advantages of electric vehicles are so compelling that Tesla can phone it in and deliver shoddy cars that still impress people used to the compromises that internal combustion requires.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

E the Shaggy posted:

the stock market is made of magical money based entirely on the esteem of random rich dudes, and elon musk has a lot of money and unwarranted confidence

There's plenty of explanations for why Tesla specifically is a company of grossly inflated value, but the root of all of them is that the system itself is dumb as poo poo

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

also the car is bad as poo poo

cracker
May 12, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I would guess almost guaranteed free revenue from selling carbon credits is a factor, too.

And the $7500 federal tax credit for evs that basically allowed Tesla to have an extra $7500 margin in every car. They've hit the federal limit but I think California still gives a credit equal or higher to what the profit margin would be on something like a Camry. So pretty much just another tax funded rear end in a top hat.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

jadebullet posted:

So with this whole "Twitter Blue users blocking an account will reduce that person's visibility" the only real solution is to just immediately and preemptively block any Blue checkmarks you see. Right?

lol I bet you won't be able to block anyone with a blue checkmark

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

the holy poopacy posted:

Electric cars are pretty much the Holy Grail, the engineering advantages over conventional internal combustion engines are enormous and potentially lucrative. My wife and I were talking about it last night and she was going through a bunch of Tesla features that she had always chalked up to some genius engineering that are really just kind of built in advantages to going all-electric. The advantages of electric vehicles are so compelling that Tesla can phone it in and deliver shoddy cars that still impress people used to the compromises that internal combustion requires.

But the point is that the principle of electric cars has been known for over 100 years. The problem has always been battery tech, recharging tech, and efficient motors that don't drain the battery quickly.

Tesla was responsible for heaps of tech developments that made electric cars viable. But now actual companies are catching up and there are no more inherent reasons to buy teslas.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

10 less dollars and Tesla stock will be worth less than Toyota's

Does that mean my lovely toyota from 2009 will be better than a tesla car?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

cracker posted:

And the $7500 federal tax credit for evs that basically allowed Tesla to have an extra $7500 margin in every car. They've hit the federal limit but I think California still gives a credit equal or higher to what the profit margin would be on something like a Camry. So pretty much just another tax funded rear end in a top hat.

Twitter is Elon's first business since PayPal that has a non-subsidy business model

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

confused posted:

I wonder if Elon Musk has ever accepted the blame for something in his entire life.

He pays someone to follow him around with a dog so he can blame it for his farts.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Catastrophe posted:

I think that's scott seiss, the angry IKEA employee tik tok guy he's with. Seems like a kind of benign photo tbh.

Really should do a better job to teach that while you can empathise with literally anyone about any particular bad thing that happened to them, you don't have to use that to "go easy" on them. Outside of just weighing things by karma, Elon bought his way into this role, and yeah, it comes with a heightened responsibility. As much as they want to paint this as something he had to do, he really didn't, and doesn't need to continue on the course he's on.

All the "well what if it was your kid" framing is so besides the point, because I and pretty much everyone who isn't Musk are not in charge of a huge social media platform. That Bari tweet is particularly funny because she's says (iirc) "yeah, I would personally abuse the poo poo out of my powers if someone close to me suffered too"... which is exactly the kind of person you don't want with unchecked powers.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Those are the 2 most regular looking guys I’ve ever seen

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

E the Shaggy posted:

Because wealthy people wanted teslas.

:getin:

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Mattavist posted:

Those are the 2 most regular looking guys I’ve ever seen
They're kind of tiny but other than that, yeah.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

What the hell did Elon do? I'm not about to scroll through 1000s of posts.

You should, it's worth it.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

CuwiKhons posted:

In what time frame? Like the past day or two? Got booed on stage at a Chapelle comedy show, tailspinned into a paranoid panic at the realization that everyone hates him, lied about being doxxed and his family being attacked in LA to use as an excuse to ban the jet tracker, then banned a bunch of journalists for having the audacity to ask the LAPD if he actually reported an attack, which he didn't, then set up a poll about whether or not he should unban the people who TOTALLY DOXXED HIM (which he claims the journalists did by just sharing the link to the jet tracker), proceeded to get profoundly owned by his own poll, set up a new one to try and correct it, got owned again, and has been sulking ever since.

Pretty incredible this all took place in less than a week’s time

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022

Sanctum posted:

:lol: Musk wasn't banning a bunch of noteworthy liberal users as a ploy so he can unban them alongside with more nazis and spin this as "free speech for all."

Nope. He was just being a manchild throwing a hissy fit. There was nothing else to it. :cripes:

He's exactly as much of a Nth dimensional tactician as Trump

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I wonder if it would be a good move to buy Tesla stock when/if Elon gets ousted as CEO.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I wonder what percentage of Tesla drivers are now ashamed to own Teslas. I know not everyone is as terminally online and tuned into Elmo’s bullshit like we are, but I imagine there’s got to be more than a few people out there regretting giving this douchebag more money.

We were actually looking into getting a Tesla solar roof earlier this year, but that evaporated pretty quickly once he cranked the dipshit dial up to “total.”

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

loving Moron posted:

Does that mean my lovely toyota from 2009 will be better than a tesla car?

if your toyota isn't currently on fire or doesn't have the blood of a child smeared over the front bumper, it is already a better car than a tesla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lol apparently within the last 24 hours he restored pillow Mike's account and barely anyone noticed