Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I'm saving this Abyss for 10 days, 16 hours and 31 minutes so I can use it to stress test Raiden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Takes some of the joy out of these returning player bonuses when my first pull is breaking 5* pity to lose 50/50 and get c1 Tighnari, game

Out of the Standard banner constellations you could get, at least that's not a bad one. Some of those characters have really garbage constellations. My only C6 5* is Mona, and her C6 is just incredibly goofy - it assumes that you're actually attacking with her, but isn't a big enough buff to actually matter (unlike some other high 5* constellations that actually succeed in turning non-"carry" characters into on-field DPSes, like IIRC Kazuha's). Same for her C2. Most early character constellations are either garbage or just "kinda okay buffs I guess." I feel like they didn't have a good grasp of how the characters would be used at that point, so you end up with stuff like Venti's "charged arrow shots launch an extra arrow" constellation.

But Tighnari has some pretty nice stuff that his constellation gets you closer to. I'm hoping for Tighnari constellations from my future 50/50 failures.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Also, is there a free Heizou out there somewhere or did they just put him in the Faruzan trial run because otherwise she'd look REALLY bad?

I mean, her whole point seems to be supporting Heizou or Wanderer, so you kind of have to pair her with one of them.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Gorou's trial also has Ningguang. These ultra-niche characters are really pushing their rules on who can appear in trials.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Ytlaya posted:

I mean, her whole point seems to be supporting Heizou or Wanderer

the furtive yaksha, so easily forgotten...

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

I have a hypothesis that an early form of genshin did not allow us to swap out characters nearly as much as do. Hence why there's constellations that think Mona, Qiqi, and Venti will be doing normal/charged attacks.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
qiqi is doing lots and lots of normal attacks

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I have a hypothesis that an early form of genshin did not allow us to swap out characters nearly as much as do. Hence why there's constellations that think Mona, Qiqi, and Venti will be doing normal/charged attacks.
I'd believe it. The UI for the character-switching cooldown is weirdly robust for something that matters so little.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I always got more of the vibe they just didn't plan for playstyles to become what they have, and you'd mostly switch to the character on your team who was strong against a given foe, maybe occasionally swapping for a reaction but you mostly would play as say Mona when fighting those electro slimes.
Though it might just be because that's how I played through Monstad.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Cant wait for Yae to probably pop out in the last 20 minutes or so of the event when the traveller inevitably wins the tournament and you go to claim your prize, in order to serve her dual roles of absolutely devouring the scenery and resolving whatever the current problem of the arc is with requisite amounts of :smug: Considering it seems to involve Yokai you can just about bet on it.

e: Leakers saying Hu Tao/Yelan and Staff of Homa/Aqua Simulcra for second half 3.4 banner :stare:

Kale fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 17, 2022

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Boo Tao

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The cutscenes for this event are long but they're way better directed than normal. Raiden walking around in the background was really funny and much better than what we normally get.

https://i.imgur.com/nTXJMag.mp4

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

No Wave posted:

The cutscenes for this event are long but they're way better directed than normal. Raiden walking around in the background was really funny and much better than what we normally get.

Yeah, it's nice that they let the cutscene team go nuts.

Shame the preface to all the fun stuff is like 20 minutes of ayato and paimon talking past each other.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Kale posted:

Cant wait for Yae to probably pop out in the last 20 minutes or so of the event when the traveller inevitably wins the tournament and you go to claim your prize, in order to serve her dual roles of absolutely devouring the scenery and resolving whatever the current problem of the arc is with requisite amounts of :smug: Considering it seems to involve Yokai you can just about bet on it.

e: Leakers saying Hu Tao/Yelan and Staff of Homa/Aqua Simulcra for second half 3.4 banner :stare:

:stare:

be still my beating heart

Kale
May 14, 2010

No Wave posted:

https://i.imgur.com/nTXJMag.mp4

Thats the second time she's been randomly pacing around suddenly after her first character quest in Tenshuhaku. She also seems to have the bounciest looking character model in the game which gives it all a bit of a cheesy effect I'm pretty sure isn't intended. Part of me kind of misses serious "foolish question" Raiden Shogun since we've had pensively nostalgic hungry for Dango Milk Raiden for a while now.

I also like the concept that she just casually goes walking around alone now unaware of how intimidating her presence is to the general public.

Kale fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 17, 2022

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Kale posted:

If the first half is Alhaitham-Ayaka, I'll want all six characters on the next three banners, then. Pain.

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012
wanderer would be almost perfect if this game wasn’t so intensely prejudiced against forward momentum when ascending/descending in the air

two years and it’s still so jarring

FractalSandwich posted:

If the first half is Alhaitham-Ayaka, I'll want all six characters on the next three banners, then. Pain.

i was going to say that’d be a hell of a win/win weapon banner but, knowing me, mistsplitter would be on kaeya well before ayaka, and the math on jade cutter for al haitham so far is looking pretty alright imo

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Is Scara's gimmick fun or does he quickly become boring?

I should probably focus picking up more dendro characters seeing as I already have 6 anemo characters running 4-piece VV.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ive been enjoying scara a lot, hes really flexible with teams and doesnt really care what enemies hes up against and hes great for overworld combat due to how huge his AOEs are

the only thing ill say is he really really needs a shielder

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I feel like people were saying that he takes a lot of knockback if he gets hit while using his skill but I tried him in the event as a trial character and I was able to get hit, jump, and recover immediately, so I don't know if: that's still a problem people are having/nobody tried to jump after they got hit in the air/everyone figured it out and just didn't find it remarkable enough to mention.

He definitely belongs in the Ganyu, Yae Miko, Eula, Xiao, Klee, Ningguang, Fischl glass cannon group though.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Nooo... Yelan second banner. Bye Haith, maybe next time :smith:

Looks like my next dendro is gonna end up being Baizhu after all :unsmith:

So I guess that means it's probably gonna be Ayaka/Eula/Dehya in 3.5, along with, uh, that guy. Len Vocaloid. The chocobo kid. Maybe Shenhe too, since she's a phys support too, even if people usually forget about it, and it makes you run her as a cryo sub-dps(?). I guess I'll have a hard guarantee stocked for 3.6 for Baizhu, so I might as well try to snipe one of em on 50/50. Probably Dehya? I haven't really run been in a situation where I've been like, "Gee, I really wish I had Ayaka right now!" recently. Feels a bit weird to pass up two "Tier 0 Main DPS" one after another but eh, it is what it is.

RareAcumen posted:

I feel like people were saying that he takes a lot of knockback if he gets hit while using his skill but I tried him in the event as a trial character and I was able to get hit, jump, and recover immediately, so I don't know if: that's still a problem people are having/nobody tried to jump after they got hit in the air/everyone figured it out and just didn't find it remarkable enough to mention.

I don't got him, but from what I've seen he isn't one of those characters that requires uninterrupted attack time like Yoimiya and Ganyu. If that's the case, he should be the same as all the other characters that can just dodge or use standard knockback resistance characters like Xingqiu. Right? I don't see what the big deal is, I've been using Miko as an onfielder with no resistance and I've been doing fine.

MoonCrab fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 17, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

your next dendro will prboably be yaoyao technically

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

Oh, yeah.

Manifesting Yaoyao second banner so that I can pick up some cons on her. Or at least Collei who is also pretty good actually :pray:

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Anyone got a breakdown on all these rerun characters coming up that seem popular?

How do characters like Hu Tao and Yelan (spelling not guaranteed) play?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hu tao is a berserker type, she does more damage when she's low on hp and her burst heals her and does damage in an aoe. when she charge attacks she leaves a dot on enemies. she mostly just spams charge attacks. shes very very good but her playstyle isnt that complicated. (also her damage scales off HP so she can take artifacts you might otherwise waste)

yelan is basically just 5* xingqiu.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Anyone got a breakdown on all these rerun characters coming up that seem popular?

Yelan's skill makes her run around real fast, anyone she runs past gets tied with a string. When the skill goes off (or you end it), they take a ton of hydro damage. Burst is like xingqius, only it's a dice doing lasers instead of water swords. Also has a weird AOE quick-charging charge attack, but it only activates when you're not in combat, so you can only really use it the once to open a battle.

Hutao turns her max hp into more damage and gains a pyro infusion with her skill. Charge attack does a shitton of damage when combined with someone like xinqiu or yelan, so that it can vaporize multiple times. Hitting stuff with the charged attack leaves them with a little flower, which'll hit them with some more pyro damage after a bit. Not quite sure how long that lasts, but it's mildly useful. Also, using this skill takes off 30% of her current hp, and she gets even more attack when she's under 50%. This is fine, beause 50% hp for her is probably going to be at least15k, which is plenty. Burst does a big pyro aoe centered on her, heals a bit.

Ayaka gets cryo infusion after dashing (and her dash works like mona's, so ending it near stuff also applies cryo to whatever you stopped near. Skill's a circle aoe. Burst is an ice tornado that hits a bunch and goes in a straight line, so you sorta have to aim it. Otherwise, hitting stuff with charge attacks does pretty nice numbers.

Not sure who else is supposed to be upcoming.

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

Sanctum posted:

Is Scara's gimmick fun or does he quickly become boring?

I should probably focus picking up more dendro characters seeing as I already have 6 anemo characters running 4-piece VV.

he’s the least fun “fun” character but still fun/enjoyable due to how high the bar is.

for me, it’d probably go like: cyno > heizou > kazuha = xiao > wanderer

the knock back issue can be easily remedied with figuring out just how high to levitate to still do/avoid damage in most situations, which is a pretty neat thing to try to figure out on the fly. easier thing to do would obviously be to just run kazuha/sucrose or a shielder though

his reliance on faruzan kind of sucks and limits team comps though

Real Cool Catfish posted:

hu tao is one of those legacy hyper-dpses that can pretty easily get benched because she kind of isn’t fun to play, much like ganyu

yelan is popular because she’s pretty fun and a flexible fit into a bunch of teams. i love her for my super silly mono-hydro team and she’s basically stapled to my yoimiya for when i’m trying to get through abyss

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

incidentalyl leaks are saying itll be alhaitham + xiao, not ayaka

which sounds bizarre but running the ayaka skin without an ayaka rerun is the exact kind of move id see from mihoyo

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

RareAcumen posted:

that's still a problem people are having/nobody tried to jump after they got hit in the air/everyone figured it out and just didn't find it remarkable enough to mention.

Everything makes him fail at floating, and random bullshit from all directions tends to be the thing in abyss.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

which sounds bizarre but running the ayaka skin without an ayaka rerun is the exact kind of move id see from mihoyo
Baffling if true.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Endorph posted:

Yup, that sounds about right

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

do we know if the skin is limited time only or just added to the shop permanently? if the latter there's no need to rerun her IMMEDIATELY, they can even use the banner in like 3.5/3.6 to boost sales after the initial "ooh new!!!" phase

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

The skins don't go away after the debut patch, but they're only on sale for that patch. From a FOMO perspective you would actually want to not run the characters with the skin, but shortly after (as silly as this is.)

I was always thinking that they're just trying to get people to buy the skins, but for low spenders they're also basically a carrot for buying welkin and slowly stacking up that currency. Their weird strategy for the skins makes more sense thinking about it like that I think?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mailer posted:

Everything makes him fail at floating, and random bullshit from all directions tends to be the thing in abyss.

Dammit, I keep assuming people mean just in general and not in the abyss

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
His own artifact domain is not particularly kind to letting him float either. Grounded hydroshrooms have incredibly annoying attacks to deal with if you're not getting them deleted ASAP or using a shield. He's got decent enough synergy with low demand shielders like Thoma/Layla that I don't find that limitation to be terrible though.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yelan + Hutao weapon banner is loving insane, two general all purpose powerful weapons. Cant go wrong even if the 4* are absolute trash.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yelan + Hutao weapon banner is loving insane, two general all purpose powerful weapons. Cant go wrong even if the 4* are absolute trash.

Yeah if thats actually the weapon banner that'd be the first time I ever pull on one outside a random 10 pull here or there.

Have a ton of characters that could use those.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Radical posted:

The skins don't go away after the debut patch, but they're only on sale for that patch. From a FOMO perspective you would actually want to not run the characters with the skin, but shortly after (as silly as this is.)

I was always thinking that they're just trying to get people to buy the skins, but for low spenders they're also basically a carrot for buying welkin and slowly stacking up that currency. Their weird strategy for the skins makes more sense thinking about it like that I think?
That doesn't make sense, though. Even with a discount, nobody's going to speculatively buy a skin for a character they don't have unless they were going to roll for her next time they got a chance anyway.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

I wanna pull on that weapon banner so bad lmao.

Gotta remind myself that I can already trivially clear everything so this is 100% just a waste. It's a waste, it's a waste, if I didn't pull for Engulfing and Homa I'd have Yelan already and be able to pull for Haith with no issue...

Edit: just realized that this was probabaly set up, and leaked!, this way to get prospective Xiao wanters waste their gems pulling on the Itto banner for Faru cons. Delightfully devilish, hoyo :devil:

MoonCrab fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 17, 2022

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

FractalSandwich posted:

That doesn't make sense, though. Even with a discount, nobody's going to speculatively buy a skin for a character they don't have unless they were going to roll for her next time they got a chance anyway.

Yeah so if they don't speculatively buy it but get her on a later patch the discount has ended so they have to pay full price for the skin. In theory the skin release should also be a surprise so existing owners might not have been saving their premium currency and would want to top up immediately to get the "good price" rather than wait for the welkin trickle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Wanderer chat was a bit ago, but I love the character. His exploration is right up there with Sayu and Yelan. he move faster than yelan in a sprint, though for a considerably shorter distance. He can't use his skill mid air, but I've never really found that to be a problem anywhere.

The poise damage thing is very real. When he's flying, any hit he takes that would stumble him stumbles him one step higher than it normally would, which means an attack that would normally make your character flinch makes him do a "falling" animation. This really cuts into his time when his skill is active, and all of his best rotations have him on a tight time budget since he's always using faruzan/Bennet/YunJin's burst to assist him