Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

SBF clearly cared more about being thought a fraudster in the court of public opinion than being found a fraudster in the court of, well, actual court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

kw0134 posted:

The real explanation is the same as many people under the scrutiny of a criminal investigation: they think they can talk themselves out of trouble. There's an innocent explanation in their minds that will clear up this misunderstanding. Cops and prosecutors love these people because 99.999999999% of the time you're gonna gab yourself into a felony charge. And even if you don't tick the exact checkboxes, the criminal statutes are longer than you think and there's likely something they can throw at you by your admissions.

I think it's really funny how SBF uses the exact same strategies as a teenager that caught robbing a convenience store with their friends.
1. Minimize involvement. "I was only in the car with them, I didn't know they had a gun! Okay, so i was the lookout, but I didn't plan it or anything. I didn't even go in the store!"
2. Put it all on someone else. "Robbie had the gun. He's crazy. He said he'd kill me if I didn't go through with it!"

Except with SBF its.
1. "I was negligent but only unintentionally. Sure, okay, there were some accounting quirks and maybe they led to commingling of funds, but it was only because I was so busy."
2. "Now I'm not going to say it was Alamada stealing from FTX. I'm NOT putting this all on Caroline Ellison. That's not what I'm doing. But something fishy was going on in Alamada and it's all Caroline Ellisons fault."

These people aren't clever or creative. They're no smarter than your average criminal and in many ways much dumber, at least seasoned criminals know to keep their mouth shut. "Can AND WILL be used against you." AND WILL motherfuckers.

2022 is the year of the meritocracy getting exposed.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

A lot of it is that, like the person I quoted initially, is a fundamental misunderstanding of what the law is. Fraud is so broad that the only "intent" required is that you had to have known you were lying or otherwise misleading people. That's it. It's not that SBF "intended" to rip people off, it's very simply he made a statement, that statement was aimed at people to get them to give him money/property/business, and he knew that statement was false or misleading. All the post hoc explanations of what he did and why only dig the hole deeper, the simple fact is he claimed to have a process and lied about it. He knew he was lying because he tried to say that whatever the lapse was inadvertent but we don't give a poo poo why your standards weren't up to snuff, only that you knew that your standards were poo poo but still said it was good anyway to get people to give you money.

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021
At this point, its safe to assume that every major exchange/crypto org is run by people like SBF. Its easy to see him as a character, but I truly think he's unremarkable in the line-up of silicon valley rejects that make up the crypto space. He's just the one that got caught first.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Trillhouse posted:

2. "Now I'm not going to say it was Alamada stealing from FTX. I'm NOT putting this all on Caroline Ellison. That's not what I'm doing. But something fishy was going on in Alamada and it's all Caroline Ellisons fault."

These people aren't clever or creative. They're no smarter than your average criminal and in many ways much dumber, at least seasoned criminals know to keep their mouth shut. "Can AND WILL be used against you." AND WILL motherfuckers.

The most hilarious possible outcome would be, as the rumours persist, while he's been attempting to throw her under the bus. She's actually been throwing him under the bus by spilling everything to the feds in return for a plea deal.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Deptfordx posted:

The most hilarious possible outcome would be, as the rumours persist, while he's been attempting to throw her under the bus. She's actually been throwing him under the bus by spilling everything to the feds in return for a plea deal.

Yeah she hired a white-shoe lawfirm that specializes in plea deals apparently. Unlike SBF, she knew to keep her mouth shut and threw him under the bus with actual conviction, so she'll probably get off light.

THIS person is the smarter of the two lol.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
tbf she looks smarter

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Wonder if the other senior fraudsters management are going to be clobbered as well given that they were straw donors, helping themselves to the fraud proceeds, etc.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The risk of being the so-called mastermind is that no prosecutor wants to take down a mere lieutenant, so having that lieutenant turn state's evidence is a well-worn playbook that practically clicks into place on the white collar crime cliche bingo card.

Edit: ^^^ almost certainly this will be the start of a bunch of people going to jail. Conspiracies to commit fraud by definition require another person to conspire with, but most of SBF's unindicted conspirators haven't been blabbing mycrimes.mov to anyone who would listen, so their cases are going to take the more usual length of time.

kw0134 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 17, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

graventy posted:

tbf she looks smarter
Yeah that's the look of someone used to weaponizing other people's tendency to underestimate them.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Strong 'Akshully, I'm Ravenclaw' energy.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
can't get over how giant that picture makes her look

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Boxturret posted:

can't get over how giant that picture makes her look

lol its so good. she's like 5'0" IRL too.

In other news...this seems familiar.
https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/1604155626187153408

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Binance 17 and Binance 18? Why, they are my favourite Binances!

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Bi-nance

Of course there's 2 of them. It's right in the name.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Bis Nance

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I cannot believe how brain dead you would have to be to leave your coins/cash sitting on an exchange right now. Even if you are 100% all in on crypto there has to be a part of you that wants to cold-store everything until exchanges stop collapsing for a few weeks.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Trillhouse posted:

Yeah she hired a white-shoe lawfirm that specializes in plea deals apparently. Unlike SBF, she knew to keep her mouth shut and threw him under the bus with actual conviction, so she'll probably get off light.

And HE'S the one with two Stanford law professor parents, lol.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

And HE'S the one with two Stanford law professor parents, lol.

i think she also has professor parents lol

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I love that photo because she is wearing the most new-money outfit that has maybe ever existed.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Boxturret posted:

i think she also has professor parents lol

She does, her dad is the chair of the MIT econ department which makes it even funnier that Alameda was so loving bad at being a hedge fund.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

people with serious parents rebel by being hippies
people with hippy parents rebel by being serious
people with professor lawyer finance parents rebel by being as dumb with money as possible

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

I love that photo because she is wearing the most new-money outfit that has maybe ever existed.

kinda looks like shes going to audition to be a backup dancer for a razzlekhan music video

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Still no SBF - Caroline sex tape.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Are you disappointed?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

:gonk:

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Just slap a couple of raw turkeys together and film it yourself.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I always thought the sex tape was fake. The person claiming to have it wouldn’t release it unless “more eyes were on it” which was asinine. It would go viral instantly if it were real moron.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Ultimately the biggest tragedy in all of this

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Trillhouse posted:

By white-shoe lawyers do you mean the shoes are sneakers or are they like fancy spectator brogues or tapdancing spats please tell me this it is vitally important to me

quote:

Did the textures on her clothes fail to load?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

This has to be a photoshop. The lighting on her face looks wrong to me.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Murderion posted:

Usually that means the graphics card is overheating, which shouldn't be a surprise considering where she probably got it from.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Murderion posted:

By white-shoe lawyers do you mean the shoes are sneakers or are they like fancy spectator brogues or tapdancing spats please tell me this it is vitally important to me

More like what happened when a dog throws up after eating a ball of yarn

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Paladinus posted:

Binance 17 and Binance 18? Why, they are my favourite Binances!

Two good vintages. Can't go wrong with either. Just make sure you open em up before the feds show up; no booze allowed in prison after all.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

Scam Likely posted:

Now that they've opened the floodgates on sports gambling, this only seems natural given how commercial breaks are already flooded with extremely manipulative and questionable gambling ads.

Over the past few months I've grown to find the sports gambling boom significantly more terrifying then the crypto ponzi boom. There is much much more real money in sports gambling, it's going to gently caress over many more people on earth. And all that money is going to go to some of the most evil people on earth.

There is a 100% chance that Peter Thiel has their finger in the sports gambling pie, and they are going to leverage it to bring about their blood drinking fascist dreams.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
One of my favorite scams is in sports betting. You need several dozen marks to pull it off, but you tell half of them to bet on one team and half to bet on the other. Then you split the marks who won into two groups. Again you tell half to bet on one team and half to bet on another. You repeat this until you have the last mark standing.

The last mark in your cohort is flush with cash because you just won them several bets in a row. You tell them this next bet is a sure thing and all they need to do is send you some money and you'll place the bet for them.

Ludwig, one of the largest streamers on twitch, fell for exactly this scam and gave a guy 100,000 in crypto (lmfao) to bet on a tennis match and he just ran off with it.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Murderion posted:

The white-shoe firms are basically the oldest, most expensive and prestigious firms around.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Splicer posted:

Yeah that's the look of someone used to weaponizing other people's tendency to underestimate them.

Except it turns out she's as inept, in fact more so, than she looks

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Murderion posted:

White-shoe firm:

quote:

A white-shoe firm is an American term used to describe prestigious professional services firms that have traditionally been associated with the upper-class elite who graduated from Ivy League colleges. The term is most often used to describe leading old-line law firms and Wall Street financial institutions, as well as accounting firms that are over a century old, typically in New York City and Boston.

I've only ever heard of white shoe law firms but I guess that means I'm just not the sort of person those accounting firms are looking to reach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Murderion posted:

What's depressing is these clothes probably cost more they what I earn in a year, she is wearing something out of a Louis Vuitton line.

gently caress I bet her bag alone is worth that.