Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I have a ton of trained war elephants and war grizzlies now. How do I assign them to soldiers or squads or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Pharnakes posted:

Is anyone else having issues getting stone smoothed? No matter how many dwarves I assign as engravers or how much I designate, the game will only seem to generate one smoothing job at a time and the other dwarves do nothing. It's not even that they're pissing about at the tavern of whatever, plenty of them have no job at all.

Did you set that labor to "only selected do this" or "everyone does this" in the labor menu? Because for smoothing, the latter is 100% fine and the entire fort will flock to mass projects, it's great.

e: Stonecutters is the one you want, I think.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Smoothing is stonecutting so make sure you don’t have that set to just one guy or something

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Bad Munki posted:

I have a ton of trained war elephants and war grizzlies now. How do I assign them to soldiers or squads or whatever?

There should be a button next to where their war training button was on the pet list, you can use that to assign them to someone.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, found it in the view dwarf window, labor, work animals. Thought I'd be able to do it through the squad screens but nah.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Did you set that labor to "only selected do this" or "everyone does this" in the labor menu? Because for smoothing, the latter is 100% fine and the entire fort will flock to mass projects, it's great.

e: Stonecutters is the one you want, I think.

emdash posted:

Smoothing is stonecutting so make sure you don’t have that set to just one guy or something

Ohhh, they're now two separate things? That makes sense, I couldn't for the life of me work out what stonecutting was supposed to do, I think I decided in the end it meant make blocks so yeah I only put one guy on it and the rest on engraving, since I was trying to do the old thing of training your engravers on smoothing before letting them engrave anything.

Oh well, guess they'll just have to get their practice in engraving all the old mine workings before I let them loose in the bedrooms and grand hall.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Dwarf kids can drink alcohol right? I'm pretty sure I've had a steady plump helmet wine production going the whole time, but I noticed a lot of my kids were angry, so I looked at one and saw that he had bad moods for "drinking water without a well" and "being forced to drink vomit". Seems like something I should try to correct.

e: He also has a bad mood for "being forced to endure the decay of a sibling" although as far as I know I've only had a handful of deaths so far and they all got entombed quickly, and there are still open tombs available.

somepartsareme fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 17, 2022

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

SpiritOfLenin posted:

i appear to have accidentally recruited an absolutely insane murder-elf in my militia. i got sieged by goblins recently, and they basically solo'd the siege mostly by chopping the heads off every single goblin they ran into - and that elf is certainly FAST

Elves are always hilariously strong, they're just held back from being a threat most of the time by their cultural affinity for lovely wooden weapons. Hence why it was terrifying if the nearby goblins had snatched enough elven children to have a sizable population, as now you have elves and their OP stats carrying around goblin iron weapons.

Remind me, do elves still cannibalize combat fatalities or has that been patched out?

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

neogeo0823 posted:

IME, they'll wait till that need is yellow, then go pray. I've also only got a multi-use temple, with a statue to every deity I noticed my dwarves wanting to pray to, as well as like 3 statues to various religions slash religious organizations. It's like 20 different statues, and growing slowly with every migrant wave. It might also be that your temple isn't fancy enough? I smoothed my entire temple and engraved like half of it and now I get crowds in there just praying in their off-time.

You do also still have to make sure they have off-time to pray.

Pretty much all my temples are valued at 5000 dwarfbux or more, and most of the major ones get regular visitors, but yeah, I'm guessing they just don't get around to it and feel guilty. :v: I also have a general temple and that one gets the most traffic; I hardly ever see "...is cheesed because she couldn't pray at a dedicated temple", it's usually along the lines of "...has gone too long without communing with (god)." I'm having more success in getting asses in pews with this game, at least.

wilderthanmild posted:

My fortress hasn't officially failed yet, but...

I actually lost over 40 dwarves in that demon fight. Mostly military, but plenty of civilians.
There is vomit literally everywhere, I haven't investigated wtf that is yet.
I have ghosts popping up despite seeming to have buried/memorialized everyone from what I can tell.

And to top it off I had a goblin siege. We outnumbered them with our military, albeit with mostly novice and untrained troops. So I sent them out to fight, well for some reason they split into two groups where one kinda hung around the door whilst the other attacked. So one group got overwhelmed, then the other, when together the probably would have won. Another 20+ish dwarves dead. The only military that survived were the ones still recuperating from the demon fight. The fort only survived because the drawbridge lever was pulled while the remaining goblins were on the bridge and they are all stuck in a 3 deep water filled pit, those fuckers.

This fort seems kinda screwed now though, at least the giant pile of corpses at the door might ward off new migrants.

I think vomit happens whenever anyone (or anything) gets hit in the gut.

Yeah, I've noticed that it can sometimes be a problem to get everyone to go at once too. IME, it's important to station and let everyone "catch up" just outside of engagement range before sending in the infantry wave. War dogs can help serve as distractions for your dwarfs to get into the din, especially if the enemy has ranged attacks.

I lost two marksdwarves in what should have been a pretty easy siege because they somehow fell off the parapet. I think they dodged over or through(?) the upper level fortifications I built.

Good luck with it. If you decide to abandon, you could try building your next fort somewhere near by and see if you get any survivors as immigrants.

Pharnakes posted:

Ohhh, they're now two separate things? That makes sense, I couldn't for the life of me work out what stonecutting was supposed to do, I think I decided in the end it meant make blocks so yeah I only put one guy on it and the rest on engraving, since I was trying to do the old thing of training your engravers on smoothing before letting them engrave anything.

Oh well, guess they'll just have to get their practice in engraving all the old mine workings before I let them loose in the bedrooms and grand hall.

I think you're right about making blocks, actually. But it's also about smoothing, carving fortifications, carving track, etc. I don't know why Toady felt the need to split up those skills in a bunch that all sound the same, but that's DF for you.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Welp, lost all my miners to various freak accidents. Tempted to just start a new fort because of it, even though the rest of the fort is doing great.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

If you were growing crops on the surface (in a wall) and slammed a drawbridge down over the top to seal it off, what would happen?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Had an unwelcome visitor to my fort.

My back entrance opens directly onto the caverns, where I keep a chained giant war grizzly bear. See a combat notification that the bear is fighting a giant cave spider, and scramble the militia to form in the entrance tunnel. Fortunately for the bear (and unfortunately for everybody else, the GCS wasn't particularly interested in fighting it, and simply crawled past. Not before, however, the powerful bear ripped a leg off the thing. This gave it "ability to stand lost" and kept its movments slow. Which is the only thing that kept it from assaulting my temples and guildhalls packed with dwarves. The militia ran in one after another, but their bronze weapons could not bite deeply enough, and each was fatally wounded after a single exchange. Fortunately, the commander was armed with steel, and he managed to trade deathblows with the beast.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Interesting starting location. The hillside goes almost straight up for over a hundred z-levels.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Welp, lost all my miners to various freak accidents. Tempted to just start a new fort because of it, even though the rest of the fort is doing great.

FWIW, miners train up quite quickly if you keep giving them work to do. A team of dabblers will be close to legendary the following year if you're doing constant exploratory mining/fortress building.

E: NVM. I think you know what you need to do. ⛏⬆

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
While cave spiders will waltz right past your guard bear, they are very susceptible to cage traps. You can do all kinds of things with a caged giant cave spider, they are really incredibly useful monsters to have

To be honest, my attitude on wandering ~fun~ is generally pretty positive, because most of it can be put in a cage trap and then bent to the will of your society

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Does anyone know if the captain of the guard needs to be on duty, or off duty to interrogate suspects? I'm trying to get to the bottom of a plot and after interrogating six citizens, he and his eight or so deputies aren't pursuing anymore cases. I have a fully furnished office for him and a dedicated dungeon.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

What's a good way to photograph your fort through z-levels and poo poo.

I should probably build a lil GIF of this thing before it's gone

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Khanstant posted:

lol beware using nearest material. i was wondering where all my gold and iron and some other metals went... i used them to make floors and walls in random places. theres random chunks of my fortress all over just smoothed and detailed metal floors and walls mixed with wood and stone

That does sound pretty dwarfy though

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
My biggest annoyance with use closest material is the inability to add any filters to it. No, I don't want wooden walls in my magma workshop.

I also wasn't expecting all my new smelters to be made of gold

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'm looking to set up a tavern for the first time. What are good guidelines to follow for size, number of rooms, what furniture, etc etc etc? This one's gonna be on the surface and open to visitors, eventually. Unless someone tells me otherwise, I'll probably start it with just my residents only, then open it to the public once I make sure it's all working correctly.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Related question, why are instruments the most complicated examples of dwarven engineering? I'm halfway done with a 75 z-level magma pump and I still can't figure out how to make a gong

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm looking to set up a tavern for the first time. What are good guidelines to follow for size, number of rooms, what furniture, etc etc etc? This one's gonna be on the surface and open to visitors, eventually. Unless someone tells me otherwise, I'll probably start it with just my residents only, then open it to the public once I make sure it's all working correctly.

taverns work best if the main room has at least a 5x5 open area and a bunch of tables and chairs, as well as a few chests to store instruments and mugs. you also want a drink/prepared food stockpile as part of the tavern zone - it can be a separate room as long as it's designated as part of the tavern - and bedrooms for visitors, also designated as part of the tavern zone.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

The dwarven caravan has not come to my fortress for three years now. What gives? It came twice and then just stopped

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Maybe check your rumors? It could be that they're at war or something. Have they asked if you wanted to become a barony? Maybe they gently caress off if you signal toward keeping a little anarchist commune.

Just had our first fort baby, 3.5 years in. It's actually the only child in my entire fort of 100, I'm surprised I've gotten no children in the migrant waves.

Which reminds me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't older versions used to announce when dwarves become friends, or lovers, or whatever? Is there anything like that now, or is it discreet and tucked away in the relationship tab?

Appoda fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 17, 2022

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Azhais posted:

Related question, why are instruments the most complicated examples of dwarven engineering? I'm halfway done with a 75 z-level magma pump and I still can't figure out how to make a gong

Instruments are either single-piece or assembled from multiple parts.

Single-piece instruments might be made either at the craftdwarf workshop (wooden, bone, shell, rock ones), at metalcrafter, at a glass workshop, or at a kiln (for stoneware ones).
You can just select them to be made at the appropriate workshop, and then it's done and usable right away.

Multi-piece instruments are always assembled at the craftdwarf workshop. You can go into the "assemble instrument" sub-menu in that to see the names of all the instruments your civilization knows about.
After you know the names of the instruments you can assemble, you can search for them in your work orders menu to find all the parts required for an instrument. To assemble an instrument you need exactly one of each part. The parts might be made in different workshops. You'll figure out what workshops and materials you need after ordering them.
When you have one of each part, you can order the instrument assembled at the craftdwarf.

Some instruments a stationary and need to be built like a workshop after production.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 17, 2022

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

tweet my meat posted:

Made my first dwarven power plant, it's cool as hell, but it has an annoying problem where it will fill up and stop flowing, which also stops the screw pumps. I've spent a lot of hours and a lot of dwarves building this thing and I'm just about stumped on how to fix it so it drains properly. It currently pumps up to a surface pipe which deposits the water downstream back in the river.

This is kind of cheat-y, but here's what mine looks like, aka the Dwarven Reactor (credit to Twisted Logic for the guide on it):

You just need a stable basin of water underneath it, don't even need flowing water. The screw pump pulls from a 1 tile channel for the input from the basin underneath. The output goes onto an unchanneled single square which then flows off the sides onto the water wheels (which are sitting in channels). The water flowing down through the water wheels turns them. So the screw pump powers the water wheels which powers the screw pump which powers the water wheels. Perpetual motion! And at a significant power surplus.

That's what the pictured six reactors are putting out.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

Appoda posted:

Which reminds me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't older versions used to announce when dwarves become friends, or lovers, or whatever? Is there anything like that now, or is it discreet and tucked away in the relationship tab?

I've gotten announcements twice now in my new fort for dwarves getting married, at least.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
of 150 dwarves, only about 7 are super-unhappy. mostly depressed children, who seem to have toys and nice thoughts, but either saw something die once and never got over it or otherwise just sick of this world. to think i reloaded a save to prevent many of these samne kids from being eaten by the Roc.

oh and some of the kids scarred from a haunting early on. the hauntings have been fixed but not the scars

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 17, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Interesting starting location. The hillside goes almost straight up for over a hundred z-levels.

could be a good seed for an old-style 2d experience

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I just saw something interesting on Reddit: apparently if you build a bridge to an island, it becomes accessible to caravans for future embarks: https://i.redd.it/ny3ukq8w4d6a1.png

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

bees everywhere posted:

I just saw something interesting on Reddit: apparently if you build a bridge to an island, it becomes accessible to caravans for future embarks: https://i.redd.it/ny3ukq8w4d6a1.png

Oh that's cool!

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I've never played Dwarf Fortress and honestly I don't think I have the patience for it. But I'm fascinated by the level of detail in the world. I kind of just want to watch the world simulate and battles play out, empires rise and fall, etc. Is Legends mode kind of like this? Can you zoom in to watch the history play out in real time or just read about after the world has finished generating?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

toasterwarrior posted:

No, dwarfs don't see through glass. I remember this distinctly.

Dwarves could see through glass walls as recently as 2017.

Kenning posted:

My biggest disappointment re: elaborate murder systems was learning that dwarfs still get afraid of scary stuff even though it's behind a glass wall. I laid out a 4-sided dining room surrounding a large glass-walled central area, with a system of levers to open cages of goblins. There was a crossbow platform above it, and I also had plans to release minotaurs or whatever in there as dining entertainment. The first time I uncaged the goblins for a show it initiated a giant panic throughout my fort and I had to get all my crossbow dwarfs over to kill them all while I was getting spammed with panic messages etc.

Some day I would like to be able to make glass hamster tube systems throughout the fort where I can dump goblins and cheetahs and all that sort of stuff, but I guess I'll just have to wait until fear gets rationalized a bit.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I've never played Dwarf Fortress and honestly I don't think I have the patience for it. But I'm fascinated by the level of detail in the world. I kind of just want to watch the world simulate and battles play out, empires rise and fall, etc. Is Legends mode kind of like this? Can you zoom in to watch the history play out in real time or just read about after the world has finished generating?
You might prefer wandering around in adventure mode once that's added to the steam version.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Huh. A siege of two human zombies showed up, then immediately disappeared when I unpaused. Good for me but weird.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
The elves come every year to yell at me about the trees. Every year I say, "Sure, no problem bros, I won't cut down so many trees."

They've started to get the picture and they're just being more and more lenient rather than go to war with me. First it was no more than 25 trees. Then no more than 36 trees. This year they're like "please cut down no more than 47 trees for real"

No problem, elf bros.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Prokhor posted:

But with the migrants, comes grim news.

While Duskpaint slumbered underground, disconnected, the surface fell.

Humans, goblins, elves. Gone.

There is no help coming for Duskpaint. They are alone in the world.

This news inspires a grim heroism. Before, they could shield themselves underground, hoping for a rescue that would never come. Knowing now though that only they could save themselves... That is what they would do.
The Steel Legion was maimed, having lost members, filling the holes with fresh recruits. But still, it was sent to strike the heart of the enemy.

And it struck true.

By the time they returned, they had killed over 600 zombies, and killed the primeval necromancer, first of her kind, who had been alive from the beginning of the world.
The fresh recruits who had been sent to the tower came back heroes

Legends

WELCOME TO NECRON 7... A WORLD OF DWARVES

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Had a goblin siege and my captain of the guard basically solo'd them. only lost 1 fighter who was just caught doing chores when siege happened. then it crashed, womp womp

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Huh. A siege of two human zombies showed up, then immediately disappeared when I unpaused. Good for me but weird.

Even weirder, a little bit later two human necromancer intruders got revealed near my entrance and started fleeing. I guess I don't have anything around for them to revive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

StarkRavingMad posted:

The elves come every year to yell at me about the trees. Every year I say, "Sure, no problem bros, I won't cut down so many trees."

They've started to get the picture and they're just being more and more lenient rather than go to war with me. First it was no more than 25 trees. Then no more than 36 trees. This year they're like "please cut down no more than 47 trees for real"

No problem, elf bros.
I haven't actually had to cut down any trees for years, since every elven caravan brings like 50+ stacks of wood. One way to enforce their monopoly I guess.
And honestly, wood and exotic animals are the only things the elves are good for anyway.