Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

why don't homeless people just buy a house 4Head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm glad I don't have to do work parties, would be very annoyed to have to hang out with work people without being paid for it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

We’ve not done one since the start of Covid and it’s great

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

If you're self employed / unemployed, every day is a work party :unsmith:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

my old ones were pretty fun, getting slaughtered on the company dime

helped that I really liked my old colleagues mind you

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Funnily enough, being asked to ride in on the bike in the snow/ice to babysit christmas gigs, all while knocking back my leave request (by managers sitting at home all week) was the straw that broke the Camels back for me and led to my resignation earlier in the week. Plus the people I worked with were utter cunts save for a handful.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hope you can move on to greener pastures.

Or at least to snow that isn't yellow.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

If shipping wasn't such a clusterfuck of expenses and red tape I'd just start an amazon arbitrage operation.

Alas, Brexit hosed all that too. I have other business ideas, but ofcourse not enough capital because this place is a loving leach.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

DesperateDan posted:

Small dilemma

Got an amazon delivery today- driver didn't knock, just opened the door and came in the place, left the parcel in the hallway then left as I was legging it up the hall to figure out who just walked in

normally the door is locked but one of my kids had come in a few mins ago and not shut it yet

complain and risk the guy getting in poo poo with a poo poo company, or not complain and the guy risks getting his poo poo kicked in when he tries that on the wrong house?

i mean he didn't steal anything or poo poo on your carpet so i don't see what there is to formally complain about, just keep the door locked and if you see him again ask him to leave stuff outside imo

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Diet Crack posted:

There's a reason Australia shuns and disowns Fosters

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tesseraction posted:

my old ones were pretty fun, getting slaughtered on the company dime

helped that I really liked my old colleagues mind you

Yeah you just need to work with people that aren't poo poo

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah we had a contingent who you could head down the local after work and there'd nearly always be someone there any day of the week. Hell sometimes the hardest question we'd face on a given day was which one to head to. The one next door, the one round the corner one way or the one round the corner the other

then one of us started dating the manager at the other one round the corner and it basically became our fiefdom

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Rarity posted:

Agreed. I get on well with most of the people I work with and it's almost always a good time when we go out as a group.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Cassette Boy remix of FTT is lit

https://twitter.com/Cassetteboy/status/1603837469593849856

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Most workplaces with more than 5 people should have a few sound cunts, a few tedious cunts, and a few poo poo cunts, in various ratios. It's easy to just hang out with the sound cunts (unless you're one of the other type of cunts)

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Rarity posted:

Just had our works do last night, by the end of the night they were just giving out free drinks tokens like candy. Pretty sure I only spent 10 quid the whole night :getin:

Ours was last Sat and the drinks were free, but i'm such a lightweight after lockdown I got hammered on 2 Hoxton Pink Gins and couldn't really take advantage.

Hoxton Pink Gin is very very nice though.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Rarity posted:

Yea it's great.

I'm underpaid by quite a margin atm (thanks public sector) but my colleagues are sound and my workload is good, so I'm not really inclined to gamble it all on the altar of more money.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

DesperateDan posted:

Small dilemma

Got an amazon delivery today- driver didn't knock, just opened the door and came in the place, left the parcel in the hallway then left as I was legging it up the hall to figure out who just walked in

normally the door is locked but one of my kids had come in a few mins ago and not shut it yet

complain and risk the guy getting in poo poo with a poo poo company, or not complain and the guy risks getting his poo poo kicked in when he tries that on the wrong house?

His thinking was probably "oh they've left the door open so that I can put it inside and it won't get nicked, they'll probably appreciate that" so I would deffo not report it

However you should report your kid for poor security

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Tesseraction posted:

then one of us started dating the manager at the other one round the corner and it basically became our fiefdom

Lol this just reminded me of when Ober became a manager and started asking the thread about how to be poo poo to his underlings at the castle

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Microplastics posted:

Lol this just reminded me of when Ober became a manager and started asking the thread about how to be poo poo to his underlings at the castle

Whatever happened to that guy?

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Enjoyed some festive sightseeing today.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

sebzilla posted:

Whatever happened to that guy?
I think he started a relationship with a rich heiress so I assume he’s now Duke of something or other

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
A rich heiress who was into pegging so he could just be hanging out with royals now

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I'm glad I don't have to do work parties, would be very annoyed to have to hang out with work people without being paid for it.

Not having a works do is about the only thing I miss from my last job. I used to quite like having a natter with people I worked with but didn't speak to a lot because i always found out a bit more about them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eh, I guess I have to spend all day being personable so by the time that is done I am not generally in the mood to do it any more unless I really like the person I'm doing it with.

E: plus the general trend of "learning more about my co workers" has been "unsolicited opinions on how nigel farage has the right idea and did you hear about the family of asians trying to buy my house too cheap"

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 17, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Yea it's great.

I'm underpaid by quite a margin atm (thanks public sector) but my colleagues are sound and my workload is good, so I'm not really inclined to gamble it all on the altar of more money.

My workload in a charity is being expected to turn out a full week's work on less than 50% paid hours and getting 'disappointed' emails from my line manager when the thing she wanted me to do (move £30 from going to one project to another because someone changed their sponsorship) wasn't done because hello I prioritized doing the biggie gift aid claim with HMRC worth considerably more than £30 and to get it into this year's accounts!

She said 'it's not onerous'. No, the thing she wanted me to do is not of itself onerous, but it would severely interrupt my work flow and there are too many 'not onerous' fiddly bits and pieces that I try and batch up and was saving for Xmas/New Year week when I'm the only one not on leave. Btw she doesn't know how to do the thing herself so she doesn't actually really know how onerous it might or might not be.

I'm bloody good at my job and am entirely self-taught on xero / salesforce (sys admin!)/ wordpress / css etc and they're bloody lucky to get it all in a one-person 'admin job' package, but she makes me feel like I'm crap. I must put some serious effort in to finding a new job next year though being a non-driver and over 60 it'll be harder than for the spring chicken Gen Zers around here.

Ober was the nom de plume of Prince Wills.

FM, my facebook has been full of people losing loved ones the past week. Old, young, UK, US, Europe. Another 2 just posted :(

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 17, 2022

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

^^ A friend of mine lost her grandmother today.

OwlFancier posted:

Eh, I guess I have to spend all day being personable so by the time that is done I am not generally in the mood to do it any more unless I really like the person I'm doing it with.

E: plus the general trend of "learning more about my co workers" has been "unsolicited opinions on how nigel farage has the right idea and did you hear about the family of asians trying to buy my house too cheap"

I hope you don't think my post was meant as a slight against you, if you don't fancy a Christmas do I don't see why you should go we all have our own levels of public interaction. Usually things I find out are less about politics and more about people's recipes or some talent for something they've never talked about or even some interesting event from their personal history.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Well me and girlfriend are both now quadruple vaccinated. Quite nice actually. :toot:

Took the advice of some folks itt and found a walk in centre on the NHS website, walked in and told them I'll be spending a whole bunch of time over Christmas & new year with my mom who is not exactly young and who also has some respiratory issues (all true btw). They just gave me the fourth dose without trying to be difficult about whether I'll be a carer for her (I won't) or whatever. In theory "visiting an old" doesn't seem to be a valid reason on the website but they didn't mind.

Today walked into another walk in centre with the girlfriend and she just told them we'll both be spending time with my mom who's old etc (still true) and they gave her the fourth vaccine too.

Everyone was very nice and both times it took literally less than five minutes.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

My colleagues are all pretty cool. Its quite funny to see the split between HR/recruitment/finance, services/IT/maintenance, development and management at the parties though. Like four entirely different groups all who want to be each other and/or hate each other to different degrees.

That and poo poo, loud 90s music so loud I ended up gathering a small group of similsrly distressed neurodivergent folks and made our own quiet party in the corridor. Which was very chill and nice. Til they turfed us all out into -5 and turned the lights off.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Going to my office on Tuesday for the first time in more than a year. Being fully remote I don't even know if there's going to be a christmas party. There are monthly drinks after work in the office, but I've never been.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bessantj posted:

^^ A friend of mine lost her grandmother today.

I hope you don't think my post was meant as a slight against you, if you don't fancy a Christmas do I don't see why you should go we all have our own levels of public interaction. Usually things I find out are less about politics and more about people's recipes or some talent for something they've never talked about or even some interesting event from their personal history.

No worries, I know others have different experiences with socializing and probably more pleasant co workers.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/WeeMelter/status/1604087507829882883

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lmao. This really does sound like Viz

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

smellmycheese posted:

Lmao. This really does sound like Viz

"And now, Ed Balls, dancing the Gregorian Plainchant"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I demand more traditional music!

*scenes of matt hancock dancing to bangra*

not like this

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also presenting Nigel Farage and friends doing the Lambeth Walk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMs0qlMyNeg

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Enjoying the idea of him turning up at Broadcasting House and demanding to speak to someone about his issues with the dancing ladies programme

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

FM, my facebook has been full of people losing loved ones the past week. Old, young, UK, US, Europe. Another 2 just posted :(
My father in law, and the mother of one of my childhood friends both died suddenly on Wednesday night (of unrelated reasons). Man gently caress this month, dunno if the cold snap was a major factor but thank gently caress for rain now anyway.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am sick of loud banging noises, play something traditional like them marching bands with the big man at the end with a big drum on his belly and the man with the two big cymbals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

what could be more traditionally british than a balding fat man banging a drum