Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.
I looooove it! You did such a good job. Love that material & the color too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Xiahou Dun posted:

gently caress that’s a really nice shirt. What color is it out of curiosity?

Thanks! It's hunter green and black buffalo check plaid by Robert Kaufman. Here's the link on Fabric.com, but you'll need to find another source since Amazon shut them down.

cloudy posted:

I looooove it! You did such a good job. Love that material & the color too!

Thank you! It's great fabric.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

effika posted:

Thanks! It's hunter green and black buffalo check plaid by Robert Kaufman. Here's the link on Fabric.com, but you'll need to find another source since Amazon shut them down.

Thank you! It's great fabric.

Wtf why! I bought so much from them just this year.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

StormDrain posted:

Wtf why! I bought so much from them just this year.

Per this article, it's that Amazon fundamentally does not understand the fabric business and wanted wholesalers to list pre-cut yardage only, with impossible shipping deadlines for fabric.

Craft Industry Alliance Article posted:

About six months ago, Amazon reached out to Fabric.com vendors to say that all fabric would soon need to be sold directly on Amazon.com. Vendors were told to upload all of their products to Amazon in one, three, or five-yard increments, seemingly with no regard to the fact that fabric manufacturers sell wholesale by the roll or bolt, and not by the yard. “They expect us to cut and ship overnight for free,” this executive said. “They don’t understand fabric at all.” The longtime former employee we spoke with said that over the last few years, management repeatedly asked if selling pre-packed cuts would work. They said no.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

effika posted:

Per this article, it's that Amazon fundamentally does not understand the fabric business and wanted wholesalers to list pre-cut yardage only, with impossible shipping deadlines for fabric.

Wow. I hate that.

I still need a ton of satin fabric for decorating my wife's meditation room. Any suggestions for retailers?

I've been asking her to browse and pick colors for months now. Maybe I just don't have to do it any more, although it bugs me as an unfinished project.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

StormDrain posted:

Wow. I hate that.

I still need a ton of satin fabric for decorating my wife's meditation room. Any suggestions for retailers?

I've been asking her to browse and pick colors for months now. Maybe I just don't have to do it any more, although it bugs me as an unfinished project.

Give a look through the comments; there's a bunch of people listing where they buy stuff. I usually do a search on PatternReview to see if anybody has a problem with a new shop before ordering, just in case.

I haven't ordered from them but Fashion Wholesale Direct sells a lot of satin types by the yard and bolt. They get some mixed reviews (fabric content wrong, slow customer service response) but for home decor fabric it may be worth a shot.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You can order direct from the Indian manufacturers on eBay, dressmaking fabric (especially your cotton lawns) is all made and dyed out there and the cheap yardage offsets the postage.

rocketpig
Nov 24, 2019

no tears please, it's a waste of good suffering
Hi everyone, it's been a while since I was on the forums and I didn't realize there was a sewing section.

As well as regular sewing stuff I love doing mashups with historical (usually Victorian) and pop culture characters. For my Halloween make this year I decided to do Pinhead but using Victorian patterns (drafted from the Keystone Guide to Jacket and dress cutter). This was the result :)

madvelocipede
Oct 31, 2022

rocketpig posted:

I love doing mashups with historical (usually Victorian) and pop culture characters. For my Halloween make this year I decided to do Pinhead but using Victorian patterns (drafted from the Keystone Guide to Jacket and dress cutter). This was the result :

This is gorgeous!

rocketpig
Nov 24, 2019

no tears please, it's a waste of good suffering

madvelocipede posted:

This is gorgeous!

Thank you!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Have some flannel!

Fabric: Robert Kaufman Durango Flannel, 8.55 oz/sq yd (~290gsm), 100% cotton, colorway Plaid Adventure.

Pattern: Itch to Stitch Mila, with a full button band added, tower sleeve plackets added, and widened seam allowances so I could flat-fell everything.

It's reversible!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Oh man that looks like a million bucks. I love the colors.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Yeah and nice use of the diagonal for the button strip/shoulders/plackets. Was that in the pattern or just something you came up with?

Honestly impressed that the plackets reverse so cleanly.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The horizontal pattern is excellent! Great job.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Oh man that looks like a million bucks. I love the colors.

Thanks!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah and nice use of the diagonal for the button strip/shoulders/plackets. Was that in the pattern or just something you came up with?

Honestly impressed that the plackets reverse so cleanly.

Thanks! The pattern suggested bias yokes but not the rest.

I love tower sleeve plackets now. They take time to set up but look so good from both sides.

StormDrain posted:

The horizontal pattern is excellent! Great job.

Thank you!

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
Do any of you fine folks accept commissions? I've been tasked with finding a bathrobe as a Christmas present for an autistic 15 year old who is currently very obsessed with the movie Cars. Everything I've found so far is kid-sized, which she definitely is not, so getting one made for her is the next step. I'd appreciate a PM from anyone who's willing to take this on. Thank you!

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

You're probably better off looking for someone local. Just Google tailors or dressmakers (Google maps can be helpful).

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Hello, I'm a beginner looking for advice. I really like the look of an oversized t-shirt, the only problem is they are always too long, but any already-cropped shirts I find are usually too short for my tastes.

I am also very poor. I was thinking of thrifting some big shirts and just shortening them to the length I like myself (by hand, no sewing machine here.)

Of course I have googled this but I always appreciate goon wisdom. I'd like to know: does the shirt material matter? Does the type of stitch matter? (I understand that some allow for more stretch, is that important in a loose-fit shirt hem?) If I buy the cheapest pair of fabric shears at Walmart will I soon regret it?

I also really like the look of a rolled-up sleeve on my big shirts. Should I hem those the same way or can I just do a few small vertical hems (I saw this on some video I think, it had a nice look but I wondered if it got messy looking after a wash).

Is there anything else I should know before I start?

Thank you!

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

artsy fartsy posted:

Hello, I'm a beginner looking for advice. I really like the look of an oversized t-shirt, the only problem is they are always too long, but any already-cropped shirts I find are usually too short for my tastes.

I am also very poor. I was thinking of thrifting some big shirts and just shortening them to the length I like myself (by hand, no sewing machine here.)

Of course I have googled this but I always appreciate goon wisdom. I'd like to know: does the shirt material matter? Does the type of stitch matter? (I understand that some allow for more stretch, is that important in a loose-fit shirt hem?) If I buy the cheapest pair of fabric shears at Walmart will I soon regret it?

I also really like the look of a rolled-up sleeve on my big shirts. Should I hem those the same way or can I just do a few small vertical hems (I saw this on some video I think, it had a nice look but I wondered if it got messy looking after a wash).

Is there anything else I should know before I start?

Thank you!

Yeah the cheapest pair of shears on Walmart are going to be generic/knock-off crap out of China, which you will almost certainly regret. Spend a tiny bit more and get one of the low-end offerings by Fiskars, Kai or Ghinger and save yourself a ton of frustration.

For T shirts, fabric won't affect sewing that much - they're all stretch knit with fairly similar properties. Get a fabric that you like the look of and that's comfortable for you.

In general when sewing knit you want a stitch with some stretch, but as you say since this is meant to be super loose it probably doesn't matter as much here.

It's worth noting that T shirt material doesn't tend to fray, so you can just leave it unfinished, and people do all kinds of interesting things with them just with a pair of scissors and no sewing. But it can tend to roll, in which case it makes sense to hem it. You may find that gently pressing the hem (with an iron) before you sew will make it much less fiddly.

You may need to describe further what you mean by the rolled hem on the sleeves.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hello, I got a Singer 4538 for $25(!) from Nextdoor, intended as a gift for my partner. What else should I provide her to ensure that she's ready to get started? She's been wanting to learn and is a total beginner. From reading this thread I got the following:

-Fabric scissors
-measuring tape
-chalk
-extra needles
-thread/bobbins
-some random fabrics from the local store and then a gift card to fabrics.com?

We have a clothes iron and ironing board so no need for that. Any suggestions or even specific product recommendations would be awesome. I was hoping to keep it to $100 total, so like $25 in additional supplies and then a $50 gift card for fabrics is what I had in mind. A little over is no big deal though

thanks so much! Very excited to learn more about this :)

e: ok i see that fabric.com is an amazon company now. Womp womp .. any decent alternatives to amazon you all could suggest?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Dec 10, 2022

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

You may need to describe further what you mean by the rolled hem on the sleeves.

Thank you for your help! I just mean that I like the roll up the sleeves a bit and would like to make it permanent, for this look:

Somewhere (that I can't find now of course) I saw a guide to just put a tiny line of vertical stitches (so going from the sleeve opening towards the shoulder) in a couple places to hold the roll in place, but I assume if that was no good I could just hem the sleeves like I'd do the bottom of the shirt.

ETA: one more question, should I get a thimble? How bad is this all going to hurt

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

I’ve found thimbles useful for trying to punch a needle through something difficult but honestly I think it’ll go through a few layers of tshirt like butter and a thimble would be more annoyance than anything else.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

artsy fartsy posted:

Somewhere (that I can't find now of course) I saw a guide to just put a tiny line of vertical stitches (so going from the sleeve opening towards the shoulder) in a couple places to hold the roll in place, but I assume if that was no good I could just hem the sleeves like I'd do the bottom of the shirt.

ETA: one more question, should I get a thimble? How bad is this all going to hurt

Yeah if you want the folded look, you should try that tutorial! Sounds legit. And if you don't like it, you can just cut the stitches and it won't have caused any big issues with the fabric. Then you can decide if you wanna go for the full hem approach. I find a lot of t-shirt sleeves look fine with just rolled raw edges though!

And yeah, seconding that you won't need a thimble for t-shirt jersey, but if you ever wanna do denim you'll probably want one.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Hello, I got a Singer 4538 for $25(!) from Nextdoor, intended as a gift for my partner. What else should I provide her to ensure that she's ready to get started? She's been wanting to learn and is a total beginner. From reading this thread I got the following:

-Fabric scissors
-measuring tape
-chalk
-extra needles
-thread/bobbins

We have a clothes iron and ironing board so no need for that. Any suggestions or even specific product recommendations would be awesome. I was hoping to keep it to $100 total, so like $25 in additional supplies and then a $50 gift card for fabrics is what I had in mind. A little over is no big deal though

e: ok i see that fabric.com is an amazon company now. Womp womp .. any decent alternatives to amazon you all could suggest?

Wawak.com is great (cheap and extensive) for notions. However, if you have a Joann Fabrics nearby (US store) you might just wanna go for something like that for a beginner. For a gift card, I mean. Just because you can get fabric and notions and patterns all on the same gift card, in the same place. Patterns are what helped me learn as a beginner! So like, the classic beginner pattern is pajama pants, and for those you'll need elastic and a drawstring. So it's nice to grab a pattern you like, check out on the back of the packet what notions you'll need, go and grab everything you need, and head home. That kinda thing!

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap
Fabricville/Fabricland is the equivalent to Joann's, in Canada. And if you don't have either, then look for a local fabric store.

Not only is fabric.com owned by Amazon now, Amazon shut it down because they don't understand or want to understand how selling fabric works.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I don’t even sew beyond basic clothing repairs and I think you should get a thimble : “protective metal cover for fingers” is just a really good thing to own. If you do anything that involves pressing hard with a finger or where a sharp thing is near your fingers, you will rapidly find a lot of uses for a thimble.

I have a thimble that I bought special and put in my instrument case just cause restringing involves a bunch of sharp wires.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

cloudy posted:

Wawak.com is great (cheap and extensive) for notions. However, if you have a Joann Fabrics nearby (US store) you might just wanna go for something like that for a beginner. For a gift card, I mean. Just because you can get fabric and notions and patterns all on the same gift card, in the same place. Patterns are what helped me learn as a beginner! So like, the classic beginner pattern is pajama pants, and for those you'll need elastic and a drawstring. So it's nice to grab a pattern you like, check out on the back of the packet what notions you'll need, go and grab everything you need, and head home. That kinda thing!

Ok, that's a really good idea. I was going based off the OP which didnt seem to have a favorable opinion on Joann, but you're totally right about being able to see/feel the fabric before buying--as well as patterns!

I think i'll forego buying any other tools for her and just make up the difference with the gift card. Even something like the best-fitting pair of scissors can be individual and better to let her handle them herself to pick out the pair that feels the best in her hands

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

the snap tore off my favourite bag :(

where can i get like 10x10cm of heavy canvas to patch it and install a new snap
i don't want an entire Bunch of it

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Ok, that's a really good idea. I was going based off the OP which didnt seem to have a favorable opinion on Joann, but you're totally right about being able to see/feel the fabric before buying--as well as patterns!

I think i'll forego buying any other tools for her and just make up the difference with the gift card. Even something like the best-fitting pair of scissors can be individual and better to let her handle them herself to pick out the pair that feels the best in her hands

I agree on the scissors front! I bought a pair of more expensive gingher scissors and even though the quality is much better, they are NOT comfortable for me to use. I enjoy my fiskars a lot more because they don't hurt my hand! ... Unfortunately I don't think you can really get hands-on with the scissors there, but maybe their return policy is good. (Also I have embraced the rotary cutter life too).

And the main drawback with Joann is that, well, it's a giant corporate entity. That's one, lol. But also the fabric quality is not that great. And you have to work around their sales to actually get a good deal. But I still think it's a better option for beginners! I'd suggest she start to invest in nicer fabrics when she gets some experience and decides she really like sewing and wants to make it a definite hobby.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

I'm sorry I keep double-posting, but I am phone-posting and making complicated replies is hard :(

Killingyouguy! posted:

This sounds like a thrift store scavenge kinda project!

But also any fabric store should have canvas and cut you a strip.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Everything in Joann seems like it's priced to only be reasonable when it's on sale, but they run sales on everything constantly. it's annoying.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Any suggestions or even specific product recommendations would be awesome.

Gotta have a SEAM RIPPER!

I really like Clover brand stuff, although it's not the cheapest. Their chalk roller thing is especially nice.

Extra bobbins: make sure they're the right bobbin for the machine, as they aren't universal.

Thread: I generally buy thread along with fabric to match color. If you want to buy a few spools to start out with, I'd suggest black, white, and a medium gray.

Storage: I have a bag with clear interior pockets kind of like this that makes everyone in my sewing class go, "Ooh, where'd you get that?"

Killingyouguy! posted:

This is the kind of thing a neighborhood Buy Nothing group on facebook is great for.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Everything in Joann seems like it's priced to only be reasonable when it's on sale, but they run sales on everything constantly. it's annoying.

Their coupons also systematically exclude anything on sale.

It is pretty scummy, Joann definitely relies on people not wanting to back out at the checkout when they discover that the only thing in their cart that the coupon 40-50% off coupon (which prompted them to go in the first place) is good for was some $1.29 notion.

Not as bad as Hobby Lobby which prints fake prices on their merchandise and never ever sells them for that price. Last time I went looking for a frame there (a loooong time ago) they had disclaimers stuck in inconspicuous places saying that the sales weren't actually sales and the prices on the frames were an indication of what a similar frame would cost elsewhere or something along those lines.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Extra bobbins: make sure they're the right bobbin for the machine, as they aren't universal.

Worth noting though that while bobbins aren't universal there are some than span multiple brands and models of machine. So it is entirely possible to use a Baby Lock class 15 bobbin in a Singer machine that takes that style/size bobbin.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 11, 2022

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

-Fabric scissors
-measuring tape
-chalk
-extra needles
-thread/bobbins

Don't forget pins (or clips, but pins are cheaper). You probably want some ball-point (for knits) and some sharps (for woven).

Actias
Oct 9, 2012

Don't forget pins (or clips, but pins are cheaper). You probably want some ball-point (for knits) and some sharps (for woven).

Pins are definitely the way to go for an initial purchase, but for anyone wanting to gives clips a go, Wawak has a big tin of them for $7.00 which is a fraction of the price of the Clover ones. (Amazon has cheapies too, but Wawak, as mentioned before, is excellent for notions of all types.)

Personally, I use clips whenever I can because my cats are apparently hell-bent on their own destruction.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

I don’t even sew beyond basic clothing repairs and I think you should get a thimble : “protective metal cover for fingers” is just a really good thing to own. If you do anything that involves pressing hard with a finger or where a sharp thing is near your fingers, you will rapidly find a lot of uses for a thimble.

I have a thimble that I bought special and put in my instrument case just cause restringing involves a bunch of sharp wires.

Also get a sewing awl. They're sharp as the devil himself, and have a handle, thus preventing you from ever getting the 'I want to drive a hole through this and all I have is a needle' blues that end in bent needles and bloody thumbs.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Liquid Communism posted:

Also get a sewing awl. They're sharp as the devil himself, and have a handle, thus preventing you from ever getting the 'I want to drive a hole through this and all I have is a needle' blues that end in bent needles and bloody thumbs.

Sure. Toss in just a normal awl while you’re at it. Maybe a nice pocketknife.

Really, you don’t understand all the poo poo you can do with basic hand tools until you have some, and that doesn’t necessarily mean carpentry tools. Don’t be like those weirdos who don’t have a thing that can make fire in their whole house.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Xiahou Dun posted:

Don’t be like those weirdos who don’t have a thing that can make fire in their whole house.

:tif:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

cloudy posted:

This sounds like a thrift store scavenge kinda project!

Hey, thank you for this suggestion, it reminded me I actually have some converse that are beyond repair, I'm harvesting a tongue from it for a patch :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick

I finished another flannel nightgown! Huge improvement on this one. Super happy with how it came out~ now I'm a living arcade carpet